conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Middle of the road reviews (3.4 out of 5.0) over at QVC.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at bedbathandbeyond.com

KYoung0822

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KYoung0822

I bought one of these when it was a woot about 1 year ago, a refurb. It is literally my go to. I love love love it. I have the full size dyson as well. Honestly, there is nothing that works as well in my opinion.

cantharis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cantharis

The Apple of vacuum cleaner.

And look at what Apple is now :-)

$180 for a portable vacuum and refurbished no less

traquy

quality posts: 50 Private Messages traquy

Could someone who has this model give me some info on how light it is? I want to get my Mom a new vacuum and she has arthritis and has a hard time with a normal vacuum. Would this be easier for her to manage?

vw57dlx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vw57dlx
cantharis wrote:The Apple of vacuum cleaner.

And look at what Apple is now :-)

$180 for a portable vacuum and refurbished no less

Can't tell if you are complaining or if you love Apple?

vw57dlx

traquy wrote:Could someone who has this model give me some info on how light it is? I want to get my Mom a new vacuum and she has arthritis and has a hard time with a normal vacuum. Would this be easier for her to manage?

I checked out the description:
Weighing a mere 4.85 pounds and is cordless offering you greater freedom

DennisEChung

quality posts: 66 Private Messages DennisEChung
traquy wrote:Could someone who has this model give me some info on how light it is? I want to get my Mom a new vacuum and she has arthritis and has a hard time with a normal vacuum. Would this be easier for her to manage?

Complete with the floor brush and extension tube this unit weighs 4lb. 15oz. My wife loves this vacuum.

We also have the older DC16 root. Comparing the head units of both sans any attachments the DC16 weighs 3lb. 4oz. vs. 2lb. 14oz. for the Digital Slim.

It will certainly be easier for your mom to operate but keep in mind the runtime is limited and while you might vacuum one room it will not do an entire floor. It's more designed for spot cleaning, and the canister is small so frequent dumping will be required.

We have 5 Dysons in all - 3 floor and 2 handheld. I regularly blow out the canisters with compressed air from an large compressor. This blows out a cloud of fine dust that clings to the inner passages electrostatically. Simply dumping the canisters doesn't clean the passages, and by cleaning them more fine dust will be able to stick. Alternately I would recommend cleaning the canisters out with water occasionally to the same effect.

Dyson customer service is exemplary. They have sent me a new Digital Slim floor brush due to a crack, and replaced the battery of the DC16 at no charge.

This is a great price for the utility of this vacuum. It works well, looks cool, and is a pleasure to use.

vw57dlx

conanthelibrarian wrote:Good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at the O

Looks like at the O, the one star reviews are due to the product at the O missing some part(s).

cantharis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cantharis
vw57dlx wrote:Can't tell if you are complaining or if you love Apple?

I'll give you a hint, I'm not a fanboy of anything.

You ever wondered how Apple has made so MUCH money granted their stuff is pretty good, most consumers are gullible, it's a herd mentality, if everyone else has it you must have it too.

Ktreece

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ktreece
cantharis wrote:I'll give you a hint, I'm not a fanboy of anything.

You ever wondered how Apple has made so MUCH money granted their stuff is pretty good, most consumers are gullible, it's a herd mentality, if everyone else has it you must have it too.

Typical hipster comment.

This is the best handheld out there. Link me to another that you put up there with this one?

unit24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unit24

We got one of these for my mom, and it's quite light. But unless Dyson has changed things, the ON switch is a trigger which must be held continuously in order to operate the unit. This might be hard on the hands...

One other feature/bug is that there is no position in which this unit can stand at rest. You must lay it down or lean it against something; it does not stand upright on its own. Just a little awkward sometimes.

traquy

quality posts: 50 Private Messages traquy

Thank you for your comments, they helped. Just the weight alone isn't going to tell me what I need to know. I think the trigger and not standing up on it's own will be OK as I would wager she will be using it a lot as a spot cleaner on her flat burber carpet and hard floor. My sister is handicapped and makes a lot of random messes, dropped crumbs/food etc. and she really needs something she can grab quickly and just clean under the tray or by the breakfast bar. If she can do this it will save her from having to drag out the regular vacuum as often, just weekly or less instead of daily or multiple times a day. This looks like it might do the trick.

DennisEChung

quality posts: 66 Private Messages DennisEChung
traquy wrote:Thank you for your comments, they helped. Just the weight alone isn't going to tell me what I need to know. I think the trigger and not standing up on it's own will be OK as I would wager she will be using it a lot as a spot cleaner on her flat burber carpet and hard floor. My sister is handicapped and makes a lot of random messes, dropped crumbs/food etc. and she really needs something she can grab quickly and just clean under the tray or by the breakfast bar. If she can do this it will save her from having to drag out the regular vacuum as often, just weekly or less instead of daily or multiple times a day. This looks like it might do the trick.

This is exactly what we use it for - on our tile floor under the dining table, the laundry room, and the bathrooms. It works well on carpet but again the limited runtime suits it best for spot cleaning. One advantage this has over our DC16 or other typical handhelds is the extension tube. You don't have to bend down to floor level; you can vacuum upright. We had a Electrolux that was tall enough for upright cleaning but it was weak and was basically a handheld that you could mount in an electric broom frame. It took sucking figuratively.

vw57dlx

I have never been one to "follow the herd", but I know quality when I use it. Not sure about this Dyson, but I do own one of their upright "animal" vacuums. If you have carpet, do the comparison. Use a "normal" vacuum then the Dyson. You will be amazed. I was. Couple that with great customer service and warranty and you got me.
And no, I have never owned anything that has a i- in front of it. Don't plan on it either unless they eventually make us get implants or something.

sherifftruman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherifftruman

To the person with the arthritic mom, I have one of these as well as one of the older handheld only vacs. (and actually have a DC 14 plug in upright too). Honestly the holding down the trigger is probably going to be the difficult thing to deal with for her. It will probably depend on exactly how her disease affects her hand, but I could definitely see that as an issue.

I would also add for anyone that if you have a lot of carpet it's probably best to stick to the plug in models. This one is fine for a short pile rug or for a quick going over, but isn't going to really do much otherwise. Where it excels is on hard floors. We took out the last of our carpet a couple of years ago and now have all hardwood and it is awesome. We find that instead of vacuuming once a week or whatever, it is so easy to use, that if we see a dust bunny starting or some other spot that needs attention (we have three dogs) you can just whip it around the floor in 5 minutes and do everything on that floor of the house, because it just doesn't build up.

It is also excellent on furniture.

At this price I am definitely contemplating buying another to just keep one upstairs and one downstairs.

Dink47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dink47

It is very light-weight and easy to maneuver. However, to make it work, you have to squeeze a button the entire time you use it. There is not a simple on and off switch. It might be difficult for your mom to squeeze the button for an extended period of time. Otherwise, it is fabulous!

Lynne J Corle

flaura22

quality posts: 9 Private Messages flaura22

I also have this one and would buy it again in a heart beat.

To the person with the arthritic concern, I cut and tied a stretchy hair band around the handle of mine, then just move it up to the trigger, if I know I'm going to be vacuuming for a long period without stopping. Otherwise, the trigger needing to be held forces you to turn the machine off, while you stop to pick something up, move something or whatever along that line and helps to extend your battery life. With a regular vacuum, I don't generally turn it off when I stop to do those little things, but with the cordless, those minutes here and there are the difference between getting the job done and having to charge before I'm through.

Also, not standing upright on it's own forces you to return it to the charger, so it is always charged. If it didn't have that feature, mine would get left in other rooms (by all persons in my household, including myself) and constantly be without a charge when I need it.

Also, the brushes come out easily, without tools. A coin or anything similar will turn the release for the brushes so that you can clean them. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, so that is VERY important for us.

We also use it in the room where the cat litter is, to clean up what doesn't get left of the kitty matt, around the litter box. The brushes don't shoot the litter around the room, but picks it all up.

My husband thought I was crazy to buy this in the beginnning. We've had it for several months now and recently he stated that he reverses his opinion and is amazed at how useful and convenient it is.

Don't hesitate. You will find this to be a super convenient tool for the little jobs and won't have to do the full vacuum job nearly as often.

darex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darex

Dyson vacs last. My first Dyson is 10 years old and still good as new. I never had a vacuum last more than 2-3 years before.

You are the one who's naïve!

There's nothing foolish about paying more for a superior product.

Oh, and by the way, I also have a DC-35, and it's ~3 years old ... and still working great. I have never even had the battery run out on me, even once, before a job was completed.

fgable

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fgable

I do not think this is a replacement for a vacuum cleaner. This unit work great on hardwood/tile/linoleum floors, but when I do my carpets, I use a vacuum cleaner. The beater seems to sometimes stop when doing carpet and the suction makes it difficult to push on carpet. Otherwise, I love this thing for my hardwood!!

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

I bought a refurb model of this from Woot about a year ago and it's amazing. In a year of use I've only had the battery go dead on my once during use. I have a relatively small house though (~1400sq. ft), and only vacuum the wood flooring. If you had entirely wood floors or a larger house the battery could be an issue. I keep it hanging in the garage right next to the door into the house. Very handy vacuum for pet hair and other small particles on hard surfaces.

trickycrayon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trickycrayon

I have a 1600+ sqft house, all hardwood, and this is a lifesaver. My "real" vacuum has been in the cellar since we moved in. I have a cat and a dog (sometimes two dogs, if my roommate's girlfriend is over), all of which are breeds that shed. This thing lets me go from feeling like my house is covered in hair to it being suitable for guests in 5 minutes flat. It's also great for dealing with spiders, as I'm pretty arachnophobic- but you can get them from a distance with the extensions.

Oh, and it was a refurb that I got for Christmas and I've never had an issue with it.

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

Question for those who own this: how does it work on rubber-backed throw rugs? I have several on the tile and laminate surfaces of my house that need a daily touch up. Hate hauling out the big vac. I'm either shaking them out or using my tiny little dustbuster (ugh).

Also, does anyone know if these refurbs have had new batteries installed?

smoberg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages smoberg

This comes as just the right time as I'm geting ready to pick upa small cordless unit for cleaning up the little messes the kids leave around the kitchen island and dining room.

I'm a bit curious about the refurb aspect of this.
I love the idea of saving some money over a brand new unit and understand the definition of refurb but can you folks with refurbs weigh in on the condition of the units when they arrived?

I'm reading some reviews on Amazon (who also sells refurb'd Dysons) that show units coming damaged (Scratches, cracks, peeling stickers, etc)
I'd almost rather go with a brand new unit if this one is going to come looking like it's been to hell and back.

smoberg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages smoberg
ILGal wrote:
Also, does anyone know if these refurbs have had new batteries installed?

From Dyson's website:
What do we mean by refurbished?
This is a machine that has had minimal use, for example, demonstration or display purposes or on the rare occasion when someone has changed their mind and returned their machine to us after slight use. We have a committed team of Dyson engineers who strip, clean, rebuild and test all cleaners thoroughly, restoring them to a nearly new standard. Many of our remanufactured vacuum cleaners have been restored to a standard specification so your choice is made by range features and color. From time to time we will have remanufactured Dyson vacuum cleaners with extra features and accessories, these will be labelled by their range number and a product name (e.g. DC14 Animal).

My guess is that the battery is not replaced unless the inspection deems it necessary

xanaxhelps1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xanaxhelps1962

It is a great little vacuum but there are a few drawbacks. First, it is not really for carpets, more for solid surfaces. Great for hardwood, tile, and engineered flooring. Second, you have to keep your finger on the trigger at all times. If her arthritis is bad in her fingers she may have a hard time using this vacuum. I have 1800+ of solid surface and two dogs. I couldn't live without mine.

xanaxhelps1962

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xanaxhelps1962
xanaxhelps1962 wrote:It is a great little vacuum but there are a few drawbacks. First, it is not really for carpets, more for solid surfaces. Great for hardwood, tile, and engineered flooring. Second, you have to keep your finger on the trigger at all times. If her arthritis is bad in her fingers she may have a hard time using this vacuum. I have 1800+ of solid surface and two dogs. I couldn't live without mine.

p.s. it being cordless is the best feature

nambi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nambi

I purchased this about 1 Year ago from Woot as a refurbished unit. When it arrived it looked brand new, and was in perfect working condition. I really like this unit, it has great suction and and is so convenient you find yourself vacuuming more than you would normally vacuum. The only thing I would suggest is a trigger lock to keep it running, battery runs for about 13 min and about 8 min on high speed. I highly recommend this there is no competition to this, accept for the new Dyson DC45 hopefully woot will have this model one day.

PBurke5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PBurke5

Paul D Burke

PBurke5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PBurke5
PBurke5 wrote:

Weight: 4.85 lbs
It is very light and without the cord less likely for someone to trip over the cord.
We have one and it really handy for the stairs, auto and ceilings (cobweb buster)

Paul D Burke

babylemonade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages babylemonade
darex wrote:Dyson vacs last. My first Dyson is 10 years old and still good as new. I never had a vacuum last more than 2-3 years before.

You are the one who's naïve!

There's nothing foolish about paying more for a superior product.

Oh, and by the way, I also have a DC-35, and it's ~3 years old ... and still working great. I have never even had the battery run out on me, even once, before a job was completed.

I have a hand-me down Hoover vacuum that's nearly as old as I am (and I was born in the early 80s). It was in my family and passed down to me when I moved out.

I kinda had to laugh when my parents' new vacuum broke and mine was still going!

That being said... the boyfriend thinks it's the ugliest looking thing ever and that I should invest in a Dyson. I'll admit we needed duct tape to fixed some cracks in the plastic tube here and there and the belt needs replaced every so often but HEY, it works, and it's a testament to the durability of a product.

I'm actually thinking about this Dyson as a supplement but I don't want to part with my old Hoovie yet.

It's actually similar to the one in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o94GnSg70tc/]YouTube video but in a delightfully hideous cabernet red. Maybe I am too attached to my old vacuum but, then again, at least I didn't make a YouTube video about it! (yet)

lfitch2011

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lfitch2011

How loud is this vacuum?

lansburge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lansburge

Wow, another refurb Dyson product. It seems like there is a Dyson refurb product on Woot at least once a week for the past year or two. I just can't put trust in a product that has so many refurbished units for sale.

mickisue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mickisue
vw57dlx wrote:I have never been one to "follow the herd", but I know quality when I use it. Not sure about this Dyson, but I do own one of their upright "animal" vacuums. If you have carpet, do the comparison. Use a "normal" vacuum then the Dyson. You will be amazed. I was. Couple that with great customer service and warranty and you got me.
And no, I have never owned anything that has a i- in front of it. Don't plan on it either unless they eventually make us get implants or something.

FWIW, and slightly OT, to boot: I have bought 2 laptops in the past 8 years. AND I work from home, AND they have been in nearly constant use for about 15 hours a day, 5-6 days a week.

The first was an iBook G4, which lasted till March of last year with nearly NO problems, and those I had could be fixed, for free, by the folks at the Genius Bar. The second is a refurbed MacBook Air, which I fully expect to last another 7 years of hard labor, like its predecessor.

Well made products cost more than their less carefully made counterparts, whether they're vacuums or electronics.

I was thinking about a competitor to Dyson. The average review looked good. But nearly all the great reviews were from people who'd owned the vacuum a few days. The lower scores were for the ones that had broken down, or had one of the electronic components go bad, or simply broke, after a month to six months.

Vacuums are supposed to last a long time. Dysons do.

Naterica

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Naterica

I'm thinking this would be perfect to keep in our camper during the summer! Although by the sound of these reviews, I might be bringing it in the house when we're home!
Why do you say it doesn't work on carpet, part of our camper is carpeted?