Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Amazon review on the 7 inch

Edit: video review deleted

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Waste of time and money. Lots of better refurbished tablets are available for under $100.

ewaldjw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ewaldjw

This is almost too tempting to pass up. But then I remember the $50 Polaroid camera I bought nearly 3 years ago (http://www.woot.com/offers/polaroid-7-0mp-digital-camera-3-0-tft-lcd-black) and that has dissuaded me. The whole thing felt shoddy and wasn't very user friendly. Seeing that these tablets look like a big version of that old camera I bought. I'm not in for one.

13 - Woots
1 - Accessories.woot
1 - Tech.woot
2 - Home.woots
3 - Sport.woots
26 - Shirt.woots
3 - Sellout.woots

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

some additional info and ok reviews (3.5 out of 5.0) over at polaroidstore.com

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

As with the cameras, the name "Polaroid" means absolutely nothing. The company went bankrupt and the most valuable asset was the name. The bankers sold the name to a company that buys brand names, and basically the quality is no better than if the name brand were "Craparoid" - so if you would buy their products with that name, go for it. I was a sucker for their cameras, twice. Then, I did the research.

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

mnuahs

quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs

I wonder who actually made these tablets. iirc isn't the Polaroid name owned by Summit Global Group now? They just have somebody make the stuff?

Polaroid's history after their bankruptcy is practically fit to make a movie from.

It doesn't seem a too bad though if you want just a basic no frills tablet. The lack of bluetooth is a bit of a let down though. On things like tablets it's practically a must have imho.

gregorylkelly

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gregorylkelly

$99 (7 inch)from Polaroid direct - http://polaroidstore.com/products/tablet-computers/polaroid-7-inch-android-wifi-internet-tablet-with-touch-screen-ptab7xc.htm

It seems as if Polaroid either changed the model number for the 8 inch, or updated it slightly.

$129 (8 inch) from Polaroid direct - http://polaroidstore.com/products/tablet-computers/polaroid-8-inch-android-internet-tablet-pmid800.htm

brainberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brainberry

Better off spending 10 more and getting this:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-7-Tablet-with-Google-Play/22127002

More ram, more space and just better overall.

Number019

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Number019
lichme wrote:Amazon review on the 7 inch

Edit: video review deleted

Once the video started I wasn't gonna let her make me quit even though my ears began to bleed. The last time I heard noise like that was when I was getting a tooth nerve drilled out for a root canal.

kwsheffield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwsheffield
dliidlii wrote:Waste of time and money. Lots of better refurbished tablets are available for under $100.

like a HP TouchPad with Android installed?

adhurt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages adhurt

Crap charger and to be honest a crappy product.

I bought one this past Xmas (black friday) at a Menards for a friend who really wanted one. It was awful.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity..." Lazarus Long

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Aw, no ref to Outkast and "Heyyyy-Ya!" ^_^

Antonio593

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Antonio593

I work at a BigLots and we sell a lot of different Polaroid tablets and I own one myself. They work great if you don't expect it to be an iPad.

I've had many of them returned due to certain apps not working. The most common was Netflix, though it works on my tablet. Most do not have Google Play or any of Google's apps pre-installed. If you do some searching, you can find the files to manually install Google Play. Otherwise the tablet has links to install the Amazon app store and a few other smaller app stores.

londonflu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages londonflu
dliidlii wrote:Waste of time and money. Lots of better refurbished tablets are available for under $100.

I agree, piece of crap! I picked one up at BIG Lots for $50; and upon opening it returned it immediately. Cheap plastic toy like it should've came out of a cereal box! DON'T WASTE YOUR $$$$

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

Well, if I had the money to blow on it I think I'd pick it up just to root it and put Cyanogenmod on it. I figure you could make something nice out of it once it was free from the bonds of the stock rom.

hoffou812

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoffou812

Do they play netflix?

ciabelle

quality posts: 16 Private Messages ciabelle

I believe it's a very bad sign that somebody chose to give an Android tablet a skin which resembles Windows 8.

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

Most do not have Google Play

and there's the dealbeaker.

jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007

If I buy this for my tech-impaired parents (they don't have ANY experience with tech beyond texting from an ancient Nokia type cell phone, and the hunt and peck kind of typing, no email experience, etc), can I load it up with games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Tetris and such WITHOUT it needing to be connected to wifi after the initial setup and downloading?? They do not have any sort of internet capabilities, even if they were to travel to town or something. Someone I asked about this said the tablet software, as well as the games, require at the very least intermittent wifi connection. Anyone know anything about this?

utsagrad123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages utsagrad123

I bought one for the sole purpose of running time tracking software at my office so I don't have to keep going back and forth between screens on my computer. I've seen the mixed reviews on Amazon and elsewhere but think its perfect for my use case. I have an iPad for all the other stuff (currently writing this comment from it) and I don't really expect it to even get close to comparing, but think this will work great as a single-purpose machine.

wootod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootod
StarBob wrote:Well, if I had the money to blow on it I think I'd pick it up just to root it and put Cyanogenmod on it.

picked up a 7" gingerbread model (no camera) awhile back, was rooted out of box.

curious about polaroids ? here a link to a forum dedicated to polaroid tablets: http://www.freaktab.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Polaroid-Tablets

i have installed google play and it works ok, but it's an older version.

this tablet is what it is for the $. the gyro is a bit off or non existant for some escape game levels. install grooveIP eg and use it as a phone.

azs1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azs1

I picked up a new 8" one from Kohl's last Thanksgiving, although at a much lower net price ($102 - $15 Discovercard cashback - $30 rebate = $57 - $15 Kohl's cash earned on the purchase).

It's pretty okay. It feels like a "real" tablet to me (not a toy), and has all the basic functions. Right now, I'm using it as a digital radio for my Mom, who is bed bound and likes to listen to talk radio at night (otherwise, she insists on listening to a transistor radio that is 90% static). With the tablet, she can listen to her stations streaming over the internet, so the sound is crystal clear.

The Amazon Appstore is fine, but it's definitely a drawback that the Play store is not accessible out of the box (I haven't tried to run the program to install an older version of it). Also, it seems that the Appstore app has some problems, so that I have to reinstall it whenever I install a new app (at least that was the case when I last installed an app, which was a while ago). Not a big deal, but a bit of an annoyance. It's frustrating, too, that when I purchase an app for my phone from Google Play, I can't install it on the tablet unless I want to pay for it again through the Appstore.

Still, it was a good purchase for me. In part, I just wanted to figure out if I would use a tablet, but without the risk of investing in something much pricier at the outset (turns out I don't use it much -- especially since getting a smartphone). If you want an inexpensive tablet option for surfing the web, checking email, reading e-books, listening to the radio, and that sort of thing, this tablet is a reasonable option.

donaldb21795

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donaldb21795

Here is the support site for all the Polaroid Tablets.

http://www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood

Unless money is extremely tight, I strongly recommend just going to Barnes & Noble and picking up a Nook; they are $129 (or $149 for the 9") new. The stock OS is pretty decent (and you can read for free in a B&N), and it's trivial to dual-boot them to Jelly Bean 4.2.2 (without overwriting the Nook OS). The Nooks aren't superstar tablets, but they're very, very nice for that price and pretty much run everything (no camera or GPS, though, but they do have microSD slots). They come with the Play Store, you can install the Kindle app, etc.

I understand there are those for whom the extra $70 is a lot, and I completely get that, but I think it's generally a lot better to spend $129 on a usable tablet than $60 on a refurb lower-tier one.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

Here I am, brain the size of a planet and you want Netflix?

or,

Oh no, not again!

wootenator

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootenator

suspicious that the camera has not megapixels spec. or is it video only???

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
brainberry wrote:Better off spending 10 more and getting this:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-7-Tablet-with-Google-Play/22127002

This would not make it a deal breaker for me. The nextbook tablets are underrated and you can get the Amazon Marketplace on it to get the better apps. I don't understand why when google sells android to these smaller tablet makers, they don't allow access to Google Play.

Hodakaroadtoad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Hodakaroadtoad

My daughter's birthday is coming up. At first, I was excited by a low-priced tablet. However, I think I'd rather spend more and get better quality. I figure that if I wouldn't want to use it, why would I give it to someone else.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

When you take a picture, do you have to flip the tablet over and wait for it to develop?

freewilly2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freewilly2000

I purchased three back at Christmas for my kids, none of them work today. They will not take a charge.

Freewilly

joshkross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshkross

My mom has one. Garbage. Complete waste of money.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

I own both the 7" and 10" versions of this tablet. I bought mine at Big Lots when they were on sale.

Neither one is a powerhouse, and you do have to do some extra work to get Google Play on them. However, they work fine for what they are, and for a low end device for basic web surfing or ereading they are adequate.

I also purchased the keyboard cases from Amazon for both of them, and that worked very well.

I wouldn't say I loved either one, but they do function well on a basic level, and would not classify either one as "crap". Just don't try and make it do more than it was designed for.

Since then, I now own an ASUS Transformer Infinity (purchased on WOOT), and the Polaroids sit in the box as back up devices if I need them.

Polishemt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Polishemt
mikemiracle wrote:When you take a picture, do you have to flip the tablet over and wait for it to develop?

Yea, but most people shake it.

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

This Polaroid is just a little bit better than hemmorhoid.

I am not responsible for this post.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

I think Southern Telecom sells the tablet but they are (were) manufactured in China.

http://www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport.html

mnuahs wrote:I wonder who actually made these tablets. iirc isn't the Polaroid name owned by Summit Global Group now? They just have somebody make the stuff?

Polaroid's history after their bankruptcy is practically fit to make a movie from.

It doesn't seem a too bad though if you want just a basic no frills tablet. The lack of bluetooth is a bit of a let down though. On things like tablets it's practically a must have imho.

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005
brainberry wrote:Better off spending 10 more and getting this:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbook-7-Tablet-with-Google-Play/22127002

Thanks for the link. It is a much better tablet...just the kind of cheap tablet I was looking for.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

Don't do it. You want to spend $70 on a tablet,buy a used Nook Tablet http://www.cowboom.com/product/1056950

This is a good piece of hardware unlike this POS Polaroid.

Here is some information on Jelly Bean & rooting it: http://raywaldo.com/2012/09/root-for-nook-tablet-1-4-3/

If you want an easy way to make this into a Jellybean tablet (and don't want to root and flash a rom) and have a spare SD card, this works well: https://www.n2acards.com/

You buy this polaroid, all it will do is give you a poor experience with Android. I have bought 2 of these tablets from Cowboom and have had great luck with both. Your on your own buying the adapter. I have used the standard USB micro adapters- it just takes longer to charge using these