Item: Frequent Flyer 3-Pc Luggage Set-3 Colors
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester

Are these compatible with my Mac?

...sorry, for some reason I couldn't resist.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at The O

[MOD: Don't appear to be the same. See this post below.]

lichme

quality posts: 2942 Private Messages lichme
conanthelibrarian wrote:TONS of good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at The O

Don't think that is the same set, I was comparing pics earlier, they dont look the same.

Are the size differences big enough to make them nestable? Hard covers may protect your stuff better, but they make storage a lot harder.

brainswarm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brainswarm

For those of us with limited storage space, will the smaller suitcases fit inside the big suitcase?

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
conanthelibrarian wrote:TONS of good reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) over at The O

What makes you think the luggage being sold on Overstock is the same as the luggage being sold here?

scottyboo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scottyboo

Is this the Lionel Ritchie Signature Series?

amnewsboy

quality posts: 48 Private Messages amnewsboy

Google the name, and that's the first thing that pops up (other than the Woot!) listing.

Seriously, somebody, please let me know how these are -- I'm actually looking for new luggage, and am tempted to pull the trigger -- but -- I know last time I bought hard-side luggage, it came out scuffed to oblivion on my first trip.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

scottyboo wrote:Is this the Lionel Ritchie Signature Series?

WootJobber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WootJobber

According to American Airlines' website...none of these pieces of luggage qualify as carry-on luggage.

American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Allowance Information on AA.com

Hm.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

Might be a good deal except I never understood the deal with the hard shell. I have had hard shell cases in the past and airlines have managed to break things in those suitcases. I do think that a cloth suitcase of the same dimensions will hold more than one of these. The reason however I would not pull the trigger on this is because 28" is on the smaller side of "large" and I would rather spend almost the same amount of money on a decent 30" suitcase.

erikdhille

quality posts: 2 Private Messages erikdhille
WootJobber wrote:According to AA' website...none of these pieces of luggage qualify as carry-on luggage... Hm.

Allowance: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall
Small bag is: 20" x 14.25" x 9.5"
Failing in two dimensions
Sort of thing that probably was once on Sky Mall before they shrunk their carry-on size, other ABS items are similarly priced:
SkyMall - Travel

Erik

crystalrowan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crystalrowan
erikdhille wrote:Allowance: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall
Small bag is: 20" x 14.25" x 9.5"
Failing in two dimensions
Sort of thing that probably was once on Sky Mall before they shrunk their carry-on size, other ABS items are similarly priced:
SkyMall - Travel

I was a frequent traveler as recently as February of last year and I had noticed they were no longer really checking size of carry ons. The security scanners seemed to be the only requirement, so if it fit there, you were good. This was the case at MSP, JAX and PHL airports, anyway.

These dimensions are so slightly over that you might be okay. I certainly noticed that once baggage fees became a thing, everyone seemed to be carrying on bags that were too big for the overhead compartments anyway. :/

Not necessarily recommending anyone try it, but just sharing my observations.

I am tempted because my primary requirement for luggage is distinctive color so it is easy to spot on the carousel and that purple seems like a good candidate. My current set of bright pink with white polka dots does as well but is looking pretty rough.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
mAd-1 wrote:lols...it's cheaper on overstock:

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/Travelers-Choice-Rome-3-piece-Hardside-Spinner-Luggage-Set/2539109/product.html

Not exactly, The offer on overstock ($10 less + ships free) is not the same set of luggage although very close. It also goes by the brand name, Tavelers Choice instead of American Airlines. Granted they look identical. They may even be manufactured in the same plant but there are some differences that can be found in the specs on both so there may be other differences in quality also. I sure don't know but for what it is worth, it is not exactly apples to apples and that should be pointed out.

Woot is offering the "Frequent Flyer" set. That set's dimensions are,
28" - 28" x 19.75" x 12.5" @ 9.95 lbs.

24" - 24" x 17" x 11" 7.8 lbs.

20" - 20" x 14.25" x 9.5" @5.8 lbs

Overstock is offering the "Travelers Choice Rome" set. That set's dimensions are,
28" - 28" x 21.5" x 12".

24" - 24" x 17.5" x 11"

20" - 20" x 15" x 9"
No weight given on any of these three.

What and if these means anything other than they are not exactly the same is a question only the buyer can answer.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
bluejester wrote:Are these compatible with my Mac?

No, if its not made by Apple then its not compatible.

paulpnevada

I can't tell from the photos, are the wheels detachable?

It looks like even the smallest one doesn't meet the carryon criteria, I'm wondering if it would if the wheels were removed.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
paulpnevada wrote:No, if its not made by Apple then its not compatible.

where can we buy the Mac compatible luggage ... made by Apple ?

Ophelia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ophelia
charliecarroll wrote:Not exactly, The offer on overstock ($10 less + ships free) is not the same set of luggage although very close. It also goes by the brand name, Tavelers Choice instead of American Airlines. Granted they look identical.

Plus this set has 4 spinner wheels on the smallest case, whereas the Overstock one has two (straight) wheels.

toobusytoday

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toobusytoday

I'm pretty certain that the smallest one would be fine for a carry - on. I agree that airlines, at least Southwest airline, does not check for size. I've flown through three different airports in the last month and none were checking the size of the bags and two of the flights were totally full, so you would think that would be a concern.

misskirieleigh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages misskirieleigh

Hard luggage is better because you have a smaller chance of brnging home unwanted friends (i.e. bed bugs). Bed bugs attach themselves to the suitcase so unless you have it professionally cleaned each time you leave they are much worse. Hard luggage you can bring into your house and set down anywhere (however I would still recommend unloading everything on a hard surface (wood or tile floors) to avoid the bed bugs in your clothes coming into your home before you wash!

showcaller wrote:Might be a good deal except I never understood the deal with the hard shell. I have had hard shell cases in the past and airlines have managed to break things in those suitcases. I do think that a cloth suitcase of the same dimensions will hold more than one of these. The reason however I would not pull the trigger on this is because 28" is on the smaller side of "large" and I would rather spend almost the same amount of money on a decent 30" suitcase.

kayakernc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kayakernc

With my email 10% off coupon and the free shipping, total cost $125.99, I'd be willing to take the chance.

charliecarroll wrote:Not exactly, The offer on overstock ($10 less + ships free) is not the same set of luggage although very close. It also goes by the brand name, Tavelers Choice instead of American Airlines. Granted they look identical. They may even be manufactured in the same plant but there are some differences that can be found in the specs on both so there may be other differences in quality also. I sure don't know but for what it is worth, it is not exactly apples to apples and that should be pointed out.

Overstock is offering the "Travelers Choice Rome" set. That set's dimensions are,
28" - 28" x 21.5" x 12".

24" - 24" x 17.5" x 11"

20" - 20" x 15" x 9"

What and if these means anything other than they are not exactly the same is a question only the buyer can answer.

adilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adilla
crystalrowan wrote:I was a frequent traveler as recently as February of last year and I had noticed they were no longer really checking size of carry ons. The security scanners seemed to be the only requirement, so if it fit there, you were good. This was the case at MSP, JAX and PHL airports, anyway.

I just flew to LAS from MSP via Delta and they did indeed check the size of both my checked luggage and carry-on. Just sayin'.

imnotleet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imnotleet

Sorry as a frequent flyer 120k this year alone, you couldn't pay me to own a hard shell luggage. If it was half hardshell I'd consider it as I am in the market for another set, but all the hardshell owners I know end up having to replace after 2-3 trips.

chriscclark01

quality posts: 23 Private Messages chriscclark01

I get irritated with luggage. You spend a ton of money on it and then on the first flight the airlines gladly destroy it for you.

vsupack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vsupack

Interestingly enough this is a very valid question; this was the luggage on board when Jeff Goldblum saved the world in Independence Day.

bluejester wrote:Are these compatible with my Mac?

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

I stopped using my hard luggage for checked bags because they searched it almost everytime. My wife's never got searched. Now I use a $20 duffle bag.
It's kind of creepy that someone has gone through your things without you being there to supervise.

jackietherussell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell
colbytitus wrote:I stopped using my hard luggage for checked bags because they searched it almost everytime. My wife's never got searched. Now I use a $20 duffle bag.
It's kind of creepy that someone has gone through your things without you being there to supervise.

Kind of creepy and a total violation of the 4th Amendment against unlawful search and seizure, yeah.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lichme wrote:Are the size differences big enough to make them nestable? Hard covers may protect your stuff better, but they make storage a lot harder.

Good news for you nesters out there!

These do nest. They are shipped nested in a single box.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kbajan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kbajan
imnotleet wrote:Sorry as a frequent flyer 120k this year alone, you couldn't pay me to own a hard shell luggage. If it was half hardshell I'd consider it as I am in the market for another set, but all the hardshell owners I know end up having to replace after 2-3 trips.

Must be a quality thing. I have only hard shell cases, mainly Samsonite. Two of those cases I've had since 1996 and they still travel with me, including storing them in non-travel time in a Texas attic at some ungodly hot temperatures.

Even the cheaper extra cases I've gotten since having kids have gone with me traveling on a half-dozen international trips and are still perfectly fine.

Maybe it's because I mainly fly AA.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk
crystalrowan wrote:I was a frequent traveler as recently as February of last year and I had noticed they were no longer really checking size of carry ons. The security scanners seemed to be the only requirement, so if it fit there, you were good. This was the case at MSP, JAX and PHL airports, anyway.

These dimensions are so slightly over that you might be okay. I certainly noticed that once baggage fees became a thing, everyone seemed to be carrying on bags that were too big for the overhead compartments anyway. :/

Not necessarily recommending anyone try it, but just sharing my observations.

When going thru Vancouver 2 weeks ago I saw someone's carryon being rejected by the airport folks (for being too big).

paulpnevada

My concern with the carryon size comes from numerous stories of problems (and fines for deliberate undersizing of the check frames by at least one carrier) flying the discount European airlines. I'll be using EasyJet and possibly Aer Lingus and I'd rather not get hit for extra hold baggage fees because my carryon was too big.

awperk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awperk
jackietherussell wrote:Kind of creepy and a total violation of the 4th Amendment against unlawful search and seizure, yeah.

Yeah, except it's not unlawful when you agree to it by flying. You agree to a "contract of carriage" or something similar by purchasing a ticket/checking in. That contract involves the airline's right to refuse boarding if your bags aren't checked by trained personnel.

Read the fine print next time...

keithjmc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages keithjmc

This deal is a tad too late for me. Leaving for my Caribbean cruise on Sunday...oh well.

Big Orphaned Cetacea 3/9/11
Random Crap 12/1/10
Random Crap 5/26/10

Adrenalynn333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Adrenalynn333

Wouldn't be the first time my luggage went someplace awesome, and I didn't...

Xchoppers

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Xchoppers
keithjmc wrote:This deal is a tad too late for me. Leaving for my Caribbean cruise on Sunday...oh well.

Have a Wonderful Cruise!

Pack your suitcase, then remove all and pack 1/2 of what you first packed.

Leaving for our 15th cruise soon - total addiction.......

huefner02

quality posts: 3 Private Messages huefner02

From Overstock: Weight: 28-inch upright (9.95 pounds), 24-inch upright (8.5 pounds), 20-inch upright (6.25 pounds)

charliecarroll wrote:Not exactly, The offer on overstock ($10 less + ships free) is not the same set of luggage although very close. It also goes by the brand name, Tavelers Choice instead of American Airlines. Granted they look identical. They may even be manufactured in the same plant but there are some differences that can be found in the specs on both so there may be other differences in quality also. I sure don't know but for what it is worth, it is not exactly apples to apples and that should be pointed out.

28" - 28" x 21.5" x 12".

24" - 24" x 17.5" x 11"

20" - 20" x 15" x 9"