vatchman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vatchman

I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma that has an incredible picture and still going strong after 3+ years. I would get something like this next (60" plasma for less than $800):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+60%22+Class+%2859-7/8%22+Diag.%29+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+HDTV/8892685.p?id=1218934208023&skuId=8892685&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8892685&extensionType={adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matchtype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobile:M}!{creative}&kpid=8892685&k_clickid=109c4a1a-486b-4428-a24b-00005726cf07&gclid=CJHb6_3MjrgCFWJlMgodUWQAQg

Or this if you want 3D (60" plasma with 3D for less than $1000):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-Smart-Viera-60-Class-Plasma-3D-1080p-600Hz-HDTV-TC-P60UT50/21014021

I just don't understand why people pay more for a non plasma TV that has an inferior picture.

dsalis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsalis
ottcamp wrote:I agree. I too had a 40 inch Samsung TV that has had a bad capacitor issue at 1 year, and a bad panel. There ended up being a class action suit for the capacitor issue and they still wont help with the panel. Just replaced with a 47' Panasonic. It is beautiful, and it feels even better to know I did not buy another Samsung anything! Samsung customer service is almost non existent.

I had the issue of the vertical lines 3 years after purchasing a Samsung LCD. Found on the web a phone number to their Special Customer Service (or something like that) and got my warranty extended to have it fixed at home. They came and replaced the LCD, made some modifications on the electronics and charged me nothing. It took me like 3 or 4 calls as the agents were screwing it up with setting up the warranty extension on their system but finally they covered both parts and service costs. The TV set has been working with no problems for more than a year now.

fostytou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fostytou

These things definitely look fantastic. Like, surprisingly amazing. Like, shouldn't my TV look like that?!

The price is a bit high for the size right now, but the picture is really surprisingly good. That said, I'd probably be buying the one that costs 1/2 as much for the slightly/very worse picture.

JTMc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JTMc
Smeagol150 wrote:Samsung Evolution Kit

Via BestBuy (Sold out right now)

Allows you to upgrade the TV with a quad-core chip that enhances the Smart features to the 2013 level. Better motion controls, updated smart hub, and Samsung touch remote.

bad reviews on amazon for it, saying it overheats itself and the TV. my wife got this tv but I think we'll pass on the upgrade.

stonegreg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stonegreg
ottcamp wrote:I agree. I too had a 40 inch Samsung TV that has had a bad capacitor issue at 1 year, and a bad panel. There ended up being a class action suit for the capacitor issue and they still wont help with the panel. Just replaced with a 47' Panasonic. It is beautiful, and it feels even better to know I did not buy another Samsung anything! Samsung customer service is almost non existent.

Just to balance out the criticism of Samsung a bit...I too had a 40" Samsung that had a capacitor that went bad a couple of months AFTER my 4 yr extended warranty ran out. I called Samsung tech support. Within 2 days a local repair shop called to set up a time to come and fix it. I didn't want to take off work to wait for them, so I just dropped it off at the shop. A few days later, it was done, and it has been fine for yearly a year now. There was no hassle, no cost, and no delay. I'm sure there's a positive experience for every negative one. But my TV was clearly out of warranty, and it was still fixed without questions since the problem appeared to be related to the known capacitor issue.

nocode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nocode
vatchman wrote:I just don't understand why people pay more for a non plasma TV that has an inferior picture.

I agree plasma's provide the best picture, but they don't work well in bright environments, are less energy efficient and are more susceptible to burn-ins.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
JHaslett wrote:Well considering I got my 47" for 500 bucks, I'd say he is, probably just not this $1000 one. So way to go there on being nice, sport.

What did you get and does it have the same features as the Woot offering?

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster
nocode wrote:I agree plasma's provide the best picture, but they don't work well in bright environments, are less energy efficient and are more susceptible to burn-ins.

...and if you intend to wall mount a plasma keep in mind they weigh a ton in comparison to LCD/LED sets of the same size.

I own 3 Samsungs, all 1080s. I've got a 5 year old 55" DLP (yep - "It's the mirrors"), a 3 year old 50" plasma and a 4 month old 39" LED. While the DLP may be showing it's age (due mostly to refresh rate), all three have performed flawlessly and are among the sharpest, richest viewing I have ever seen.

The question is not "Would I buy another Samsung?" The question is "Why would I NOT buy another Samsung?"

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

daveofva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveofva

Meh, I got a 55" 3d Vizio off eBay for $600. Sure, it was a "refurb", but it looks brand new (I think it was just an open box).

$1,000 for a 46" tv, even new, doesn't seem like a great deal to me... but then again, I don't like 3d anyway.

Wanago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wanago

I have been waiting for a this or a 7100 46inch Samsung to go on sale so I bought it. It started closer to $1800 a year ago so this is a big drop. the 2013 has a better recommendation engine UI and the camera recess when not in use and cost 70% more on amazon. But in most ways they are the same. I could care less about 3d and will probably never use it. I'll just put the glasses on Ebay and make the savings even larger

It's better than the 6000 series by a high motion rate, built in camera and the upgrade kit let's future proofs you as no other television ever has. So if the 201, 15,16... Samsung does something cool I can just pony up for that and keep the great monitor. I would think that upgrading every year would be not make sense but every 4 would rock till the 4K are cheaper with sufficient content to justify purchasing 4k.

You can certainly buy bigger and cheaper TV for $1000 but you can't buy a better picture and upgradedabilty for anywhere near this price.

Can't wait till it gets here

poppagene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poppagene
stonegreg wrote:Just to balance out the criticism of Samsung a bit...I too had a 40" Samsung that had a capacitor that went bad a couple of months AFTER my 4 yr extended warranty ran out. I called Samsung tech support. Within 2 days a local repair shop called to set up a time to come and fix it. I didn't want to take off work to wait for them, so I just dropped it off at the shop. A few days later, it was done, and it has been fine for yearly a year now. There was no hassle, no cost, and no delay. I'm sure there's a positive experience for every negative one. But my TV was clearly out of warranty, and it was still fixed without questions since the problem appeared to be related to the known capacitor issue.

There are lots of electronics with capacitor issues and there are youtube videos showing how to replace the bad capacitors on the samsung tvs. I bever had this problem with my samsung tv, but I have replaced plenty of capacitirs on tivo power supplies.

poppagene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poppagene
olcubmaster wrote:.... The question is not "Would I buy another Samsung?" The question is "Why would I NOT buy another Samsung?"

I agree. I just replaced the last of my non-Samsung HD Tvs and now have 3 Samsung LED TVs.

fshoemak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fshoemak
poppagene wrote:I have the upgrade kit also and I have no regrets whatsoever about the TV or the upgrade kit. For a discussion about the upgrade kit, see: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450292/official-samsung-smart-tv-evolution-kit-thread

I have no regrets about the tv but the upgrade kit provide little new functionality.

A few apps but other than that a lot of the same as the original without the upgrade kit. Just a new layout.

bmeservier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmeservier
torquedom3 wrote:This is a good deal. This is the 2012 model, 2nd from the top of the line. The 2013 model, UN46F7500 is $1697 everywhere. This model accepts the samsung upgrade that sells for $300 that turns it into the 2013 model. Quite a savings.
Enen better if you have a samsung tablet or smartphone.

$996 Walmart free Shipping

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
vatchman wrote:

I just don't understand why people pay more for a non plasma TV that has an inferior picture.

probably because I don't want the burn in from my video games?

I always did like yardsales.

Wanago

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wanago
bmeservier wrote:$996 Walmart free Shipping

um no
Wal-Mart doesn't sell this TV
they sell the UN46F6400

So for $4.00 more you get a whole lot of value

bataboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bataboy
coffeedragon wrote:Bought this TV in 40" when it was on Woot a few months ago and it's fantastic! Colors and contrast are great, built in cam for Skype is pretty cool and I can stream from Spotify directly to the TV. Kick-ass!

Make sure you look up the screen calibration tips to setup your configuration. Out of the box it looks good but there's a lot of room for improvement by tweaking!

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

Is anyone else having problems with their TV? I have many

The screen isn't fully seated in the middle right hand side so the picture is distorted and light leaks out.

About every 20-30 minutes it displays a weird color pattern and reboots.

It doesn't recognize the evolution kit, which was the main reason I bought the TV.

I'm in the process of having a tech come over but I really wish I hadn't gotten the bad apple :/

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

greezyg wrote:Is anyone else having problems with their TV? I have many

The screen isn't fully seated in the middle right hand side so the picture is distorted and light leaks out.

About every 20-30 minutes it displays a weird color pattern and reboots.

It doesn't recognize the evolution kit, which was the main reason I bought the TV.

I'm in the process of having a tech come over but I really wish I hadn't gotten the bad apple :/

Sorry you're having trouble; that stinks. Keep everyone updated on how things go with the tech!

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

greezyg

manhandsha wrote:Sorry you're having trouble; that stinks. Keep everyone updated on how things go with the tech!

Is Woot a certified Samsung seller?

So far they will repair the reboot problem. But Samsung is claiming that the LCD panel not being seated in the TV assembly is due to shipping damage so they won't cover it. This is total BS. The TV's box isn't damaged neither is the HUGE box that it was shipped in.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

greezyg wrote:Is Woot a certified Samsung seller?

So far they will repair the reboot problem. But Samsung is claiming that the LCD panel not being seated in the TV assembly is due to shipping damage so they won't cover it. This is total BS. The TV's box isn't damaged neither is the HUGE box that it was shipped in.

Ugh. Ok, email support@woot.com and ask for assistance. Be sure to give them your username, order number, and the details of your interaction with Samsung to date.

Then watch your spam filter for a reply in one to two business days. We end up there a lot.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

greezyg

ThunderThighs wrote:Ugh. Ok, email support@woot.com and ask for assistance. Be sure to give them your username, order number, and the details of your interaction with Samsung to date.

Then watch your spam filter for a reply in one to two business days. We end up there a lot.

I just emailed you. I included pictures and everything.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

greezyg wrote:I just emailed you. I included pictures and everything.

Hmmmm, did you get an auto-reply? Sometimes our CS software doesn't like attachments.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

greezyg

ThunderThighs wrote:Hmmmm, did you get an auto-reply? Sometimes our CS software doesn't like attachments.

Yes I did, CAS-343770-D8H8L0.

Thanks for following up!

greezyg

Just to let everyone know that "Samsung Cares" is a total lie. My TV arrived with an obvious manufacturing defect and Samsung just claims that it happened in shipping and refuses to honor their warranty.

It's good that Woot Cares and will give me a full refund.

phoenix130

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenix130

I purchased this TV and all the features work great WHEN the TV itself is working. I purchased the TV in July of last year and by January of this year it needed repair. The TV was randomly rebooting and clicking. After about three weeks I was able to get Samsung to send out a contractor to replace the motherboard on the TV and I was told this would resolve the issue. It has only been two months since that repair and the TV is rebooting again. For the coast of the TV and the short amount of time there is no way I should be on my second repair. Features are useless if the unit does not work. I also purchased an 40in TV in the same line and that motherboard was also replace and I am noticing the same issues returning that prompted that repair. I have to say I will no longer be buying ANY Samsung products.

In this economy it is better to read all product reviews and go with a company that will first give your repair issue serious attention and second offer you a replacement TV if they can not fix any recurring issue Samsung DOES NOT replace their products at all.