WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Because it's summer, we've all got a lot of time to sit around. That's why today Scott's decided to talk about those glorious songs with the super-long intros. You know, the kind of song they play when the DJ has to give concert details or a traffic report! Get comfy, turn on your black light, and lie back. Here's the first one:

Joy Division - Dead Souls

The intro to this Joy Division song is the kind of thing you'd normally expect from a band like Genesis, where the lead singer might be changing his costume backstage. But the late, great Joy Division wasn't a costume sort of band. Don't think it indulgent, though. Without the slow build, this song would lose a lot of its atmosphere.

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the YouTube! A nice change from last week's Fitness Week theme. See you after the jump?

It doesn't matter if it's a gift to a DJ that needs to use the bathroom or an producer's concession to an indulgent rock star. Sooner or later, every pop band tries the long intro.

Heart - Crazy On You

Not many songs move so effortlessly from acoustic to electric. Heart's got plenty of signature hits but this one covers all the bases. It's memorable, it's got a guitar chorus anyone can sing, it's got that deedley-deedley-deedley part, and it makes you feel like you've accomplished something when you beat it in Guitar Hero. Also, the intro is almost 50% of the song!

The Who - Eminence Front

In this video, we get to see the band members arriving for the sound check. The song has already started yet they still have time to leisurely walk from the van to the stage. From start to finish, this intro is only slightly shorter than The White Stripes hit Fell In Love With A Girl IN FULL. That's one heck of an intro.

U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name

U2's intro comes in two flavors, the one with the keyboard lead-in that I linked above, and the one that's just guitar. Even if you pick the shortest one, it still ends up long enough to squeeze in an entire news bulletin about their live show being shut down by the cops. Well played, U2. Well played.

The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone

A lot of funky songs have that slow Shaft-like intro, but The Temptations take it to the absolute limit. And you know what? It never, never gets old. Even in the edited down radio-friendly version, the intro takes up nearly over half of the song. That's a real commitment to the intro most bands just aren't willing to make.

It's your turn now. Throw a few long intro songs into our comments below, and help us find the longest intro in existence! After that, hit up our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Here are a couple quick ones that come to mind.

Haters gonna hate but I still enjoy this song.

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Posses your heart.

Although I don't really like this band as much as I used to (does anyone?) this song has a fantasticly long intro
Boston - Foreplay / Long Time

Also, Any prog-rock song ever.

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"The Final Countdown" by Europe
"Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne
"Hells Bells" by AC/DC

nemo2005

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nemo2005

Dire Straits-"Telegraph Road". OK, that's kind of cheating as it is a 14+ minute song, but it does have a 2+ minute intro AND as a bonus a 5+ minute outro.

yougotiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yougotiger

Have to agree, pretty much any prog rock... Here's two:

Dream Theater's Change of Seasons: nearly 4 1/2 min intro: http://youtu.be/g8ifhsVkjq4

Dreatm Theater's Octavarium:, nearly 5 1/2 min intro: http://youtu.be/LH_9lJxeiXg

Course, they're cheating too, both over 20 min. songs.

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen

Hmm, I'll have to go with Brian Eno's On Some Faraway Beach

It goes on long enough for me to start questioning what an intro is vs. the song proper (2:53 minutes into a 4:37 m. song). I still don't know. That may be the point. The questions just lead to more questions.

Ooh, a Rock Hudson movie is on tv.

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
CowboyDann wrote:Although I don't really like this band as much as I used to (does anyone?) this song has a fantasticly long intro
Boston - Foreplay / Long Time

Also, Any prog-rock song ever.

That intro is long enough to forget what band it is and have a fairly long conversation naming multiple prog bands in an attempt to remember (it's not Yes, not ELP, not Tull...). And then Long Time kicks in, and everyone in the car is like, oh yeah....

apray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages apray

Elton John... Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. Or does that count as 2 songs since it has 2 names?

jmharvey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmharvey

Not sure if tracks from live albums count, but Musta Got Lost is a classic.

MuteDeCute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MuteDeCute

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Unless you look at the albums' song list, you wouldn't know that the intros are listed separately from the main songs:

Steve Miller Band - "Space Intro/Fly Like An Eagle"

Steve Miller Band - "Threshold/Jet Airliner"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

finaltable

quality posts: 0 Private Messages finaltable

"Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits actually gets two entries. On the vinyl album the song has a lengthy sax intro, long enough in fact that it feels like it could have its own lyrics. On the CD, however, the sax solo is preceded by a trumpet solo. Combined they are a lot of music before what is a great Dire Straits song.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
mossygreen wrote:That intro is long enough to forget what band it is and have a fairly long conversation naming multiple prog bands in an attempt to remember (it's not Yes, not ELP, not Tull...). And then Long Time kicks in, and everyone in the car is like, oh yeah....

It's funny you said that because I spent about 3 minutes this morning running the intro through my head and it wasn't until i got to the long time part that i remembered who the heck did that song. Yes, and Jethro tull and ~maybe~ boston all ran through my head before finally remembering the name of the song

So True.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Nirvana - Aneurysm - YouTube I say it's all relative with this one.

08. Extraction from Mortality - Believer - YouTube Holy cow these guys were ahead of their time.

Diamond Head - Am I Evil? - YouTube A classic intro.

Tool - Eulogy - YouTube

Vendetta - Fade to Insanity - YouTube This is an instrumental, but it still has a distinct intro.

The God Machine - Purity - YouTube Such a great song from such a great album.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

The only "Long Intro" song I can think of offhand is A Song of Storm and Fire from Tsubasa: Reservoir chronicle.
Not only is the intro frighteningly long, it's also very ambient and creepy. So much so that it scared the bajeezus out of my hubby when he borrowed my car one evening.

If I figure out some others, I'll be posting them.

Right now, though, the only thing I keep thinking of is my CD titled "Short Songs for Short People", so I doubt I'll be very much help.

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil
LarryLars wrote:Unless you look at the albums' song list, you wouldn't know that the intros are listed separately from the main songs...

So true. On Van Halen's 1984 album, the song 1984 is preceded by a 1 minute instrumental (also titled 1984). When I first heard the album, the instrumental sounded like a long intro to the song rather than a separate track.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
Moueska wrote:The only "Long Intro" song I can think of offhand is A Song of Storm and Fire from Tsubasa: Reservoir chronicle.

FTFY. ;)

MSol99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MSol99

In the "separately named song, but still an intro" category....
Sirius - Alan Parsons Project. (Eye in the Sky)

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

Seeing as the mention of Joy Division aroused my inner Mancunian...

I know it's not terribly long, but it does seem to go on forever... - Stone Roses, Breaking into Heaven.

jachim72

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jachim72

Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

"Baba O'Riley" by The Who

"November Rain" by Guns & Roses

"Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns & Roses

maxrfb

quality posts: 8 Private Messages maxrfb

So I was out of it last week and didn't get a chance to see this. I fear now since this is so old, no one will see.
I have to go with the live version of Ain't that a shame by Cheap Trick.
Two minutes of a five minute song.

I am trying to post the video, but am receiving errors.

wow. I actually bought a Robot Elvis.
What was I thinking?