Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2856 Private Messages lichme

Item: Proscan 7" Tablet with Case & Keyboard
Price: $69.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/19/2013 - $69.99 (Woot-off) - 40 comment(s)

lichme

Here are some good reviews (not sure if same model, but looks the same)

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

If that is a 7" screen then the keyboard must be sized for six year old hands, right? Will this accept a regular USB keyboard input too?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

lichme

[MOD EDIT: 2nd video removed]

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3480 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

This looks like a nice cheap tablet to keep in the car for the little ones when you are going to places that offer free Wi-FI but owned to bring out your "good" tablet.

bkd69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkd69

I'm looking for an eventual replacement for my Sony Dash, and it looks like these budget tablets may fit the bill...

Only problem is, I don't know of any clock apps that feature the same degree of functionality as the Dash firmware does. Any recommendations?

Your Woot Is Not My Woot, But Your Woot Is OK.

afwalton

quality posts: 9 Private Messages afwalton
ckeilah wrote:If that is a 7" screen then the keyboard must be sized for six year old hands, right? Will this accept a regular USB keyboard input too?

It'll probably take a Bluetooth keyboard; I'm betting that's what the included one is. If the Logitech shows up on Woot Plus again, I recommend it.

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

Hate that this uses a proprietary power jack.

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

mnreptiles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnreptiles

You all are getting screwed walmart has the 8inch version of this exact tablet for 59.99. Yeah shop around before you think your getting the best deal.

[MOD: Doesn't include case or keyboard]

chinnasue58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinnasue58
mnreptiles wrote:You all are getting screwed walmart has the 8inch version of this exact tablet for 59.99. Yeah shop around before you think your getting the best deal.

As far as I can tell, the WalMart one doesn't come with a case. You're unlikely to find a compatible case with a keyboard for <$10, so this seems like the better deal if, like me, you prefer the 7" for portability reasons.

chinnasue58

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chinnasue58
afwalton wrote:It'll probably take a Bluetooth keyboard; I'm betting that's what the included one is. If the Logitech shows up on Woot Plus again, I recommend it.

A regular sized USB plug is visible in the photo of the open case, so I believe the keyboard's not Bluetooth.

senpar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages senpar

Google Play App??

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87

If you have a definite use case for the tablet, go right ahead for example, a dash clock or a first tablet for a smash happy kid.

If you want a general purpose 7" tablet, go for the nexus 7. USD 199 is more expensive but it will be worth it. You can probably get one on Amazon for cheaper if you look for deals.

mevande

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mevande
mnreptiles wrote:You all are getting screwed walmart has the 8inch version of this exact tablet for 59.99. Yeah shop around before you think your getting the best deal.

Walmart one has a 1.0ghz processor. No the same

ibbleschitz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibbleschitz

looks cute but My galaxy note is 5.5 inches.... sooo.. I'll pass.

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005
murphicus wrote:Hate that this uses a proprietary power jack.

The guy in the video review above states the micro USB can be used to charge, in addition to the proprietary jack. I would certainly double check that though.

mrjoewood

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mrjoewood
k87 wrote:If you have a definite use case for the tablet, go right ahead for example, a dash clock or a first tablet for a smash happy kid.

If you want a general purpose 7" tablet, go for the nexus 7. USD 199 is more expensive but it will be worth it. You can probably get one on Amazon for cheaper if you look for deals.

For now, while supplies last, I'd suggest the Barnes & Noble Nook HD for $129 ($149 for the 9"). It can run Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and has a great screen. I've got it as well as the Nexus 7, and while I agree the N7 is better, it's 3x the cost of this one. The Nook HD is $70 less and might be more affordable for many of those who'd consider buying this tablet. It has no camera and no GPS but otherwise is comparable to the N7 and significantly better than this throwaway.

tsigwing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsigwing

I bought the 10 Digix tab from Frys for $99. So far so good.

http://www.frys.com/product/7609487?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

projectrico

quality posts: 0 Private Messages projectrico

I wonder if it would play my 720p or 1080p MKV files from a memory card to my TV.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei
k87 wrote:If you have a definite use case for the tablet, go right ahead for example, a dash clock or a first tablet for a smash happy kid.

A Nexus 7 is 3 times more money, you simply can't compare the two.

Also, MicroSD!

mahonri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mahonri
mrjoewood wrote:For now, while supplies last, I'd suggest the Barnes & Noble Nook HD for $129 ($149 for the 9"). It can run Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and has a great screen. I've got it as well as the Nexus 7, and while I agree the N7 is better, it's 3x the cost of this one. The Nook HD is $70 less and might be more affordable for many of those who'd consider buying this tablet. It has no camera and no GPS but otherwise is comparable to the N7 and significantly better than this throwaway.

+1 for this. My wife and I got the Nook HD+ and are very happy with them.

WSGASKINS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WSGASKINS
nmill005 wrote:The guy in the video review above states the micro USB can be used to charge, in addition to the proprietary jack. I would certainly double check that though.

I got one of these during the last (recent) sale, and I just checked that it does indeed charge through the microUSB port in addition to the included power adapter. The adapter is 1.5A output, though, so it should charge faster with the wall-adapter than through most USB ports (USB2=0.5A, USB3=1.5A) but I haven't run any charge time tests.

The keyboard is indeed a microUSB attach and since this uses USB OTG (host mode) support, the unit I got also came with a microUSB to USB-Type-A OTG 6" adapter cable. This is another thing that I need to spend some time testing to see what range of accessories (memory keys, external hdd?) it will handle, but the keyboard works quite well.

The case has an included 'kickstand' flap that works acceptably, but the magnetic closure flap doesn't have any good place to sit when using the unit in that mode, so it seems to get in the way of the top of the screen sometimes.

I am trying to find a way to control the power consumption of the unit to give it a bit better batter life. I can't seem to find the place in the settings to set wi-fi to disconnect when the unit goes to sleep / screen off mode.

WSGASKINS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WSGASKINS
projectrico wrote:I wonder if it would play my 720p or 1080p MKV files from a memory card to my TV.

If you want to send me one, I can try it out. I suspect it doens't have much horsepower for HD video decoding, but I have not yet tried the HDMI output port so I'd like to give that a shot soon!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Products like this is why people think Android sucks.

800 x 480 resolution is what my Sprint Evo had from 2010 on a 4" screen. For that matter the rest of the specs are all the same also.

If you want a tablet on the cheap - this one is $65 (use promo code) + free shipping, has better resolution, a Mali 400 GPU, and good reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834686007

Personally- I would spend more $$. This Acer Iconia Tab A210 has a 10.1" screen and a Tegra 3 (quad core) processor for $145

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1280011

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz

This would be a decent way to watch Netflix when on the road. My Acer Iconia A100 is underpowered, but Hotel Wifi + HDMI out + Netflix is a great combination. (or Vudu, or Amazon Prime, or Hulu ... you get the idea). And it's a lot easier than dragging around a Roku.

No problem with the price point, but the proprietary power connector is a pain. Wonder if iGo has a compatable tip?

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea
08/06/14 Le Corbea Noir Journal - $13
07/17/14 Dr Comics #1 T-shirt - $10
03/28/14 WD My Book 2TB Exteral USB 3.0 HD (2x) - $70 ea

crowpatrol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowpatrol
WSGASKINS wrote:I got one of these during the last (recent) sale

So, does the Android OS support Google Play? I have other androids that have only some useless app store with 4 apps. If it won't do full out Google Play, it is a no go.

Crow Patrol

gak0090

kenbuzz wrote:This would be a decent way to watch Netflix when on the road. My Acer Iconia A100 is underpowered, but Hotel Wifi + HDMI out + Netflix is a great combination. (or Vudu, or Amazon Prime, or Hulu ... you get the idea). And it's a lot easier than dragging around a Roku.

No problem with the price point, but the proprietary power connector is a pain. Wonder if iGo has a compatable tip?

Tha Acer Iconia A100 is a lot better than today's tablet. It has a Tegra 2 , a better resolution, better battery and made by Acer.

dachausse79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dachausse79

user="lichme" - thanks for taking the time to put together a review!!!!!

gak0090

crowpatrol wrote:So, does the Android OS support Google Play? I have other androids that have only some useless app store with 4 apps. If it won't do full out Google Play, it is a no go.

I agree that you should be suspect if a tablet does not come with google play installed. I don't like today's tablet. But I do also use another store called Aptoide which is a great market place http://www.aptoide.com/

You can find whatever you need there.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

RE: Keyboard

As mentioned above, the keyboard connects via miniUSB.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fishzine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishzine

Can anyone confirm if this has built in Bluetooth?

[MOD: Sorry, no Bluetooth]

copperweb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages copperweb
WSGASKINS wrote:I got one of these during the last (recent) sale, and I just checked that it does indeed charge through the microUSB port in addition to the included power adapter. The adapter is 1.5A output, though, so it should charge faster with the wall-adapter than through most USB ports (USB2=0.5A, USB3=1.5A) but I haven't run any charge time tests.

The keyboard is indeed a microUSB attach and since this uses USB OTG (host mode) support, the unit I got also came with a microUSB to USB-Type-A OTG 6" adapter cable. This is another thing that I need to spend some time testing to see what range of accessories (memory keys, external hdd?) it will handle, but the keyboard works quite well.

The case has an included 'kickstand' flap that works acceptably, but the magnetic closure flap doesn't have any good place to sit when using the unit in that mode, so it seems to get in the way of the top of the screen sometimes.

I am trying to find a way to control the power consumption of the unit to give it a bit better batter life. I can't seem to find the place in the settings to set wi-fi to disconnect when the unit goes to sleep / screen off mode.

An app called Juice Defender will do just that and more. I've used it for several years now and like it. (And it's free)

njack26

quality posts: 7 Private Messages njack26
fishzine wrote:Can anyone confirm if this has built in Bluetooth?

Doubtful since there is no mention of bluetooth in the specs.

bookletgeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookletgeo
crowpatrol wrote:So, does the Android OS support Google Play? I have other androids that have only some useless app store with 4 apps. If it won't do full out Google Play, it is a no go.

I had the same question, so I went searching. Found the same product on Amazon. According to this, it is not compatible with the Play Store. :-( http://www.amazon.com/does-play-movies-google/forum/Fx7RNB5UD61IMH/Tx1RS6EZMUQO7TH/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_al_cq?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00BHSI80S

andruszko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andruszko

Unfortunately, you can get this keyboard and case for 10 dollars on just about any site that sells chinese accessories. The keyboard is a usb keyboard, not bluetooth, and includes a micro to mini usb adapter to plug into the tablet.

I was looking at the same keyboard for my (albeit much more powerful) chinese tablet.

I agree with posts saying there's better deals than this out there, unfortunately...considering you can get tablets with twice the ram for the same price, or twice the ram AND quad core for an extra 10-20 bucks. Not to mention those tablets have much more support and custom firmware if wanted.

edit: the competitor's tablets, as long as you get "name-brand" chinese tablets, are typically compatible with the play store. mine is. if not, there's an easy workaround using a 3rd party playstore anyways

i wasn't going to say the name of the brand i like but apparently others are saying names anyways:
check into ainol novo tablets. their build construction is good and i love mine.

LinuxRandal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LinuxRandal

The model listed on the front page is PLT7223GK4, the model in front of me, that my father bought last week from BigLots on sale for $79, is PLT7223G. I could only guess the K is for keyboard, and the 4 is for 4gb. (his has both those specs). His has access to the google play store, I just looked at it. My purpose for wanting one, is mainly portable media storage (music for car, video for tv, not all shows are available in the USA).

Hope this helps

gesnerj59

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gesnerj59

I would want to be absolutely sure this can access the Google Play Store... my daughter has a cheapy Uniden from Big Lots that is not supported by Google Play and is very limited in what you can get for it in the way of current, useful free aps.

kinderdm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kinderdm

According to the specs listed it says "Google certified with support for Google Play" I know thats no guarantee but it is what woots specs claim.

gak0090

andruszko wrote:Unfortunately, you can get this keyboard and case for 10 dollars on just about any site that sells chinese accessories. The keyboard is a usb keyboard, not bluetooth, and includes a micro to mini usb adapter to plug into the tablet.

I was looking at the same keyboard for my (albeit much more powerful) chinese tablet.

I agree with posts saying there's better deals than this out there, unfortunately...considering you can get tablets with twice the ram for the same price, or twice the ram AND quad core for an extra 10-20 bucks. Not to mention those tablets have much more support and custom firmware if wanted.

edit: the competitor's tablets, as long as you get "name-brand" chinese tablets, are typically compatible with the play store. mine is. if not, there's an easy workaround using a 3rd party playstore anyways

i wasn't going to say the name of the brand i like but apparently others are saying names anyways:
check into ainol novo tablets. their build construction is good and i love mine.

I have the Ainol Novo7, bought it for $135 back in Feb. I have updated to the latest beta firmware 4.2.2 and it works OK. The marketed it to be a direct competitor to the Nexus 7, but it's not nearly a smooth or responsive (I bought my wife the Nexus 7) despite the specs that make it sound great. Don't get me wrong- it's still a pretty good value for what I had paid, but now you can buy a Nexus 7 for about $160 refurbed- quality wise is a much better tablet. The quad core they use on the Novo 7 venus is not all that great and performs worst than some tegra 2 tablets I have. I don't hate this tablet, and you are absolutely right that there are some great no name Chinese tablets that have great hardware specs for pretty cheap- you just need to research these pretty good before buying one.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/71817-actions-atm-7029-a-strong-skeptics-first-take/