WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Would you move away from your current locale if the right opportunity came up?
  • 17.8% - Yes, I hate it here. 327
  • 47.8% - Yes, I like new adventures. 878
  • 14.4% - No, I have too much tying me here. 264
  • 17.4% - No, I really like it here. 319
  • 2.7% - Something less clear-cut I'll explain in the comments. 50
1838 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rhh33672

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rhh33672

Of course, politicians and stupid people has turn California, the Golden State, into North Mexico. Tax too much just to support the lazies.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
rhh33672 wrote:Of course, politicians and stupid people has turn California, the Golden State, into North Mexico. Tax too much just to support the lazies.

Stop complaining and leave?

dreamgoddess268

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamgoddess268

I'd move so long as my significant other could come with me.

My Satchel of Poops:

2nd Day of Crapmas - 12/04/13

DrHardcrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHardcrab
rhh33672 wrote:Of course, politicians and stupid people has turn California, the Golden State, into North Mexico. Tax too much just to support the lazies.

Maryland is getting just as bad. Born in Florida but have lived here most of my life. But they are taxing us to death here. We even got a RAIN TAX that went into affect (Google 'Maryland Rain Tax'). No place I want to retire. Last kid in 10th grade. As soon as he graduates, I'm going to be like "AMF!!!!!"

mncowboy96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mncowboy96

Born and raised in the midwest, now live in New England, and boy do I miss the good ol boys and gals of Minnesota. Wife wont move so I guess I am stuck but sure would be nice to see those corn fields and dirt roads again.

renebee73

quality posts: 3 Private Messages renebee73

I'm from NYC but have lived in Virginia most of my life. It's getting overbuilt and noisy up north here. I love adventure and new places. Son has moved to Cal and I love it there. Then there is Hawai'i. Ah.... Also rediscovered North Carolina recently, small town in the middle of the forest. Or if an opportunity knocked and I could live near the beach.....too many choices. So yeah, maybe I could live somewhere new, although I love my home and garden here.

mav76baboo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mav76baboo

Shared custody does not permit moving out of the county without going back to court... So its a long process... Makes it hard to fid "opportunities."

zeiramp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeiramp

It seems to me that it couldn't be the "right" opportunity if it is not good enough to get you to move. If it doesn't take care of whatever reasons you have for not moving, then it isn't the "right" opportunity for you.

lichme

quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme
dreamgoddess268 wrote:I'd move so long as my significant other could come with me.

I moved countries to be with my S/O

adamsfamily2011

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adamsfamily2011

We moved from Phoenix, AZ to Wyoming - Husband was offered a job as an electrical apprentice (his boss pays for his school as well) and my office kept me on as a remote processor. We moved to the town that I pretty much grew up in (Dad was in the Navy so we moved over 40 times).

We might be moving again as we have been discussing the military.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
mav76baboo wrote:Shared custody does not permit moving out of the county without going back to court... So its a long process... Makes it hard to fid "opportunities."

Yup. This. Plus, custodial parent must live in hometown until kids are done with high school, as per court order, unless we both agree otherwise.

I'm really happy where I am, but there are a couple places that would tempt me away if I could swing it with the kids.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001

Looking forward to a change. Plan to move after my youngest finishes out high school (2 more years!)

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

If my house was more buyer ready I would relocate.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

When one lives in paradise, why move?

jenniferml7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferml7

To the author of:
Of course, politicians and stupid people has turn California, the Golden State, into North Mexico. Tax too much just to support the lazies.

Sounds like you could use some English lessons yourself.

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

the company I work for has over offices worldwide. I'd def be up to relocating somewhere else. I had thought I'd wait until my youngest graduates from high school (5 more years) but our school system has gone to heck so I'd probably be doing him a disservice education-wise if I stayed here for that reason. I have sole physical custody of my kids and had moved out of state when I filed for divorce so moving them isn't even an issue. I'm ready to go as soon as the right opportunity presents itself.

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I already have. Now working in Doha, Qatar.

No work for me in Vegas.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

NYC or LV. What could be more exciting?

shoulda2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shoulda2
jeparz wrote:NYC or LV. What could be more exciting?

Depends on your definition of exciting :P

Imho one of those has terrible winters/rude people/rat race/long commutes/expensive CoL/no real outdoor activities.

The other is in the middle of a desert, I guess if you like shows / gambling that's fine. I would rather live in Lake Tahoe if I had a gambling bug though since there are more outdoor activities.

Personally I live in Nashville and love it, but family keeps me here for the foreseeable future. I think my retirement dream is to live on a yacht or a really nice super lux camper and go where I want.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

jeparz wrote:NYC or LV. What could be more exciting?

i lived in las vegas for many years.
i'll say this:

getting eaten by a bear is exciting, too. i wouldn't want to experience it every day.

vegas is the same way.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Yes, I like adventures!

(Money would probably have to be involved.)

tuesday949

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuesday949

I love adventure -

I will be moving from Los Angeles (lived in California my whole life) to Florida in a few weeks. Pretty excited. Interesting how I will be renting twice the square footage for half the money.

Krzysd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krzysd

Live in Illinois now, don't wanna be in the state when S*** hits the fan.

richaemry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richaemry

I just relocated 400 miles...