Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3005 Private Messages lichme

Item: HP 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop
Price: $349.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/12/2013 - $469.99 - 49 comment(s)
11/20/2012 - $499.99 - 0 comment(s)

4/2/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
3/25/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
2/26/2013 - $450.00 (Woot Plus)

lichme

rennyn

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rennyn

This laptop may be 'quad core' but that does not mean it is fast. In fact it is ridiculously slow. Like slower than Celeron's and first generation i3s. Slower than the ultra low power consumption models even.

Check out the rank on http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

lichme

Take a look at the Product Page for more info and docs

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3643 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Everything you would ever want to know, straight from hp.com

Shawn999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shawn999
rennyn wrote:This laptop may be 'quad core' but that does not mean it is fast. In fact it is ridiculously slow. Like slower than Celeron's and first generation i3s. Slower than the ultra low power consumption models even.

Check out the rank on http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

Thanks! You just helped me reach a decision.

kender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kender

I just bought this model from a competing site at the same price and feel like it was a good purchase. My wife and I really hate window 8's new home page, so I found a free program called vistart http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ that gives you a start button back. It just boots straight to the desktop and works exactly like windows 7. It has run really well with everyday office, websurfing, netflix, skype, etc. I'm unsure what the slow comment was about, but I'm using mine daily for normal things and not trying to do extraordinary things with it. It's a good price for a good laptop in my opinion.

faaaaq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faaaaq
kender wrote:I just bought this model from a competing site at the same price and feel like it was a good purchase. My wife and I really hate window 8's new home page, so I found a free program called vistart http://lee-soft.com/vistart/ that gives you a start button back. It just boots straight to the desktop and works exactly like windows 7. It has run really well with everyday office, websurfing, netflix, skype, etc. I'm unsure what the slow comment was about, but I'm using mine daily for normal things and not trying to do extraordinary things with it. It's a good price for a good laptop in my opinion.

Good summary. Anyone expecting a workstation for this price is delusional. For browsing, office work, studying, etc, this would be an excellent purchase. And no Im not saying that because my PC is slow and I just dont understand real power. I rock a 3770k, 32gigs of gskill ram and a 680 that easily rivals 770s >.>

avenger09123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avenger09123

I have this laptop in its 15.6" form (dv6-6135dx)two years ago for $400.00. I bought it as a refurb with the same processor plus an additional videocard. It does have a self controlled turbo to 2.4Ghz, and you can replace its AM3+ socket processor with thr next level up running 2.1ghz with a 2.6Ghz turbo if I remember right. It has been a great laptop for me. I wasnt much of a gamer but the dual video cards (one on the board and one in the processory die), upgraded ram size and speed, and a SATA III seagate hybrid drive, this thing screams. I have run it overclocked to 4.2Ghz which was amazing but for lack of cooling it couldnt handle the heat. I also bought the extended battery for it, and underclocked it to 200mhz, any lower and my movies would stutter but the battery life extended from 6 hours to 18. If you want a good laptop capable of doing more than most people realize, including playing games on full detail with 8-16x anti aliasing at 30fps, get it. The deal is well worth the money. If you want to buy a laptop and expect to pay $350 for desktop performance without putting a little bit of time and love into it to make it great, you'll be disappointed.

gephardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gephardt

I've had a refurb for about a year. I mostly was interested in the large display, which I think is excellent. Otherwise, web browsing, terminal sessions, etc. it's fine. Processing power is weak- not a surprise given the price point. HDMI out and bluray are pluses for me. I run Plex, and it's generally able to transcode and deliver 720p to my Roku. I am happy having paid $450. At $350 an OK price now for what you get.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I bought a couple brand new Toshibas with the same specs at this price last year. The AMD processors are known to run hot, so you have to pay some attention to that. Otherwise it's a pretty generic computer with a nice large screen. I think the 17 inch laptop screens are much better than the smaller ones with newer software, which tends to be graphic intensive. This would be fine for web browsing, a HS student, taking work home from the office, etc. As long as your name isn't Ed Snowden.

billveik

quality posts: 5 Private Messages billveik

Toshiba L855 bundle
I3 processor
750 Gig
4gig RAM
wireless mouse
8gig thumb drive
neoprene sleeve
Windows 8, but have it set up with an option to go to desktop, saved the .ini file when migrating the backup from Win7 in
2 weeks in, liking it just fine!

Woo@@@@@@@ooT.........Ooops, was that me?
Beggin' your pardon, it must have been the w@@t soup.

gme814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gme814
avenger09123 wrote:I have this laptop in its 15.6" form (dv6-6135dx)two years ago for $400.00. I bought it as a refurb with the same processor plus an additional videocard. It does have a self controlled turbo to 2.4Ghz, and you can replace its AM3+ socket processor with thr next level up running 2.1ghz with a 2.6Ghz turbo if I remember right. It has been a great laptop for me. I wasnt much of a gamer but the dual video cards (one on the board and one in the processory die), upgraded ram size and speed, and a SATA III seagate hybrid drive, this thing screams. I have run it overclocked to 4.2Ghz which was amazing but for lack of cooling it couldnt handle the heat. I also bought the extended battery for it, and underclocked it to 200mhz, any lower and my movies would stutter but the battery life extended from 6 hours to 18. If you want a good laptop capable of doing more than most people realize, including playing games on full detail with 8-16x anti aliasing at 30fps, get it. The deal is well worth the money. If you want to buy a laptop and expect to pay $350 for desktop performance without putting a little bit of time and love into it to make it great, you'll be disappointed.

This processor in this one is a 2nd gen A8(trinity), not the 1st gen A8(llano) in your laptop.

There was also a model number shift upwards for the 2nd gen A-series chips so 1st gen A8 is similar to 2nd gen A10, 1st gen A6 similar to 2nd gen A8, 1st gen A4 similar to 2nd gen A6, so although both laptops have processors called A8s, this review is for the highest line of 1st gen A-series chips, and the woot today is for the middle line of 2nd gen A-series chips.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast

I have bought two of these. Perfect for my son in college as it runs Office and he can browse the web, but its not a gaming machine. The large display and number pad make it perfect for him. My wife just needs a laptop to surf the web and check e-mail. These are really good for the price, but you are not buying a fast system. I have no regrets buying these laptops as they serve their purpose well at an affordable price.

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

Its a good machine for normal use of basic office or web surfing but if you have to work with visual studios and trap code like I do, then stay away from this laptop. I know you shouldn't expect much from a $350 laptop but for $425 i bought an i7 core laptop during black friday that does everything i need within a perfect time. Yes, its obviously over clocked. wow, now I Cant even remember whats the current speed as my laptop is in school right now but oh well don't expect much from this system if you're looking for a work station . And yes I miss the old woot too. New woot is just greedy bastards.

rachel999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel999

I bought this(http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-17-3-dual-core-laptop-7) last month, had to return it because the pointer and touchpad would not work.

Dare I try again?

Yes, I dared. Don't fail me again, HP!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, if you want to tell how disappointed you are in us, there are many threads over on World of Woot you can join to talk about it. We read every one and cry silently into our pillows at night. [PS: I deleted some posts.]

Can we keep this thread talking about the product? Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

onelastime2013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages onelastime2013

I wonder what The Windows Experience Index is

crocodile3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crocodile3

I bought one of these. It's a great deal and I do not regret buying it. If you are unfamiliar with Windows 8, you should reconsider. Windows 8 is drastically different from previous OS's. It's unnecessarily difficult. Love the computer. Hate Windows 8.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
rennyn wrote:This laptop may be 'quad core' but that does not mean it is fast. In fact it is ridiculously slow. Like slower than Celeron's and first generation i3s. Slower than the ultra low power consumption models even.

I'm leary of this list- when you compare passmark benchmarks- those Celerons that beat it are scoring more than 900 points less on passmark. For instance the Celeron 1000m has a passmark of 1815, while today's processor A8-4500M has a passmark of 2718. The I3-350m passmark is only 1927. No benchmarks are perfect. Today's 17.3 inch laptop is a decent deal for $350- the graphics on this laptop are definitely better than HD4000 graphics.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
gme814 wrote:This processor in this one is a 2nd gen A8(trinity), not the 1st gen A8(llano) in your laptop.

There was also a model number shift upwards for the 2nd gen A-series chips so 1st gen A8 is similar to 2nd gen A10, 1st gen A6 similar to 2nd gen A8, 1st gen A4 similar to 2nd gen A6, so although both laptops have processors called A8s, this review is for the highest line of 1st gen A-series chips, and the woot today is for the middle line of 2nd gen A-series chips.

I think his review is a legit comparison for the dv6-6135DX. I'm not sure about this model shifting thing that you mentioned, but I did find this:

the A8-4500M performs similar to the Llano-based A8-3500M.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-4500M-Notebook-Processor.74884.0.html

webdev511

quality posts: 38 Private Messages webdev511

Yep, AMD CPU's are going to be slower than a lot of Intel CPUs. I don't doubt that it is slower than a recent i3 in single threaded apps, but should stomp the same i3 when it comes to multi-threaded apps. Four slightly slower cores will still do more work in parallel than two.

This isn't the kind of laptop one buys for very intense workstation type use. It won't be great at ripping video, huge spreadsheets or advanced Photoshop as say an EliteBook 8770w, but it also costs about $2,000 less than one as well. For that matter it costs less than a current cell phone off contract, Surface RT, iPad 3/Mini and only $50 more than a Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

In that context it's a pretty good deal, provided you're looking for a 17" general purpose laptop. (Yes DO get the Square Trade Warranty.)

AlexD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AlexD

I bought this last time around. Was $20 less then ($329.99). It's a great machine for the price!! Only WIN 8 sucks. Dunno why it's $20 more now than two months ago when I got mine here on Woot??

coolbro12389

quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

I have a older toshiba with the AMD A6-3400M quad core which scored lower than this and honestly its pretty quick for what it is, really the only thing slow is the dang hard drive :P

Audioman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Audioman1

Can win 8 be scraped off and put win 7 on these machines?

richeyrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richeyrock

Dealing with an HP G7 right now that's only about 6 months old and never abused. It isn't this exact model, but the body is probably the exact same. The tray's cheap plastic has broken off where three screws attach it to the left hinge of the screen. Any movement of the screen pops the video connection loose now. A new plastic tray costs about $94 shipped. :-( The computer is/was great. The case is sub-par in my opinion. The replacement parts, a ripoff.

cmofames

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmofames

Bought this same one at Best Buy earlier this year. The Windows 8 is designed for touch screen and this laptop doesn't have one, I never could get my microsoft mouse to work, even after reinstalling drivers, checking with microsoft... Finally said, not worth the aggravation, returned it on day 30.

onelastime2013

I wonder what the Windows Experience Index Number for this laptop is.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mdrcoast
onelastime2013 wrote:I wonder what the Windows Experience Index Number for this laptop is.

4.5 graphics

sincecc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sincecc
faaaaq wrote:Good summary. Anyone expecting a workstation for this price is delusional. For browsing, office work, studying, etc, this would be an excellent purchase. And no Im not saying that because my PC is slow and I just dont understand real power. I rock a 3770k, 32gigs of gskill ram and a 680 that easily rivals 770s >.>

Nobody would be delusional to expect that this would be a good workstation, unless they're running solidworks or expecting it to edit video. running 32gigs of ram is silly even for a server.

Balmatlab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Balmatlab

I am using an asus lappy with almost identical specs. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DS81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00B7K11MI

I have to say my machine runs pretty decent and the asus has good reviews on Amazon and Newegg. In terms of games I have run the latest Pro Evo soccer game demo and it runs fine. Not sure about other games. Other regular task also seem to run fast. Can't see why this system would be much different.

onelastime2013

mdrcoast wrote:4.5 graphics

Really?
it's only .2 points away from my Asus i3 x44h K84L laptop!

I already Bought it because i believed it better than the other AMD Laptop I was going to buy.
Now here's a question, if I just want to play like Silent Hill (2003-2007)/Minecraft/Dead Space 1,2,3, (1 and 2 are a charm on my current computer!). Will it perform better then the i3 or should i just stuck with INTEL. This is the 1st time I am buying AMD.

Was it worth the buy, should I have stuck with my older laptop?

kender

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kender
onelastime2013 wrote:Really?
it's only .2 points away from my Asus i3 x44h K84L laptop!

I already Bought it because i believed it better than the other AMD Laptop I was going to buy.
Now here's a question, if I just want to play like Silent Hill (2003-2007)/Minecraft/Dead Space 1,2,3, (1 and 2 are a charm on my current computer!). Will it perform better then the i3 or should i just stuck with INTEL. This is the 1st time I am buying AMD.

Was it worth the buy, should I have stuck with my older laptop?

I think he gave the wrong number. This is what my Windows experience numbers say for this laptop.

Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 6.7

5.9 Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.1
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7640G 6.6
Gaming graphics 3057 MB Total available graphics memory 6.6
Primary hard disk 182GB Free (439GB Total) 5.9
Windows 8

My lowest score is due to filling up the hard drive already with a win7 transfer from another laptop.

onelastime2013

kender wrote:I think he gave the wrong number. This is what my Windows experience numbers say for this laptop.

Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 6.7

5.9 Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.1
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7640G 6.6
Gaming graphics 3057 MB Total available graphics memory 6.6
Primary hard disk 182GB Free (439GB Total) 5.9
Windows 8

My lowest score is due to filling up the hard drive already with a win7 transfer from another laptop.

Thank you very much for clarifying.

RickinDuxbury1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RickinDuxbury1
lichme wrote:Item: HP 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop
Price: $349.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/12/2013 - $469.99 - 49 comment(s)
11/20/2012 - $499.99 - 0 comment(s)

4/2/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
3/25/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)
2/26/2013 - $450.00 (Woot Plus)

I bought the $400 Triple Core G7 about 18 months ago. Loved it(W7)but the heat sink failed about a month ago and fried the innards.. Had I not purchased a Square Trade warrantee I would have been screwed. Purchase with Amex and Sq Trade from now on. Better still, no more refurbs.

rachel999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel999

Well, I've been online for the last few hours with no problems Hurrah! And Win8 doesn't seem to be a problem, yet.

But I do have one concern: yesterday day there was no tracking available, and today I was lucky the Fedex guy was able to get through the locked front door of my building and I was home to accept it, even though I was not expecting it.