quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Item: Kodak MAX Alkaline Batteries - 5 Sizes
Price: $14.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

I've only used them in small gadgets (remote controls, mouse, etc) however they have held up quite nicely. Always good to have some spare batteries around.

dthutchison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dthutchison

I've always wanted to try "Kadak" batteries. Did Kadak acquire Kodak?

semper fi

bjbyers

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjbyers

There are very few purchases on Woot I have regretted, but this is one of them. These batteries are completely junk. For example when used in a automatic soap dispenser a standard battery will last apx 6 months. These will last maybe 1 month. The only reason I haven't thrown them all away is I feel guilty filling up a land fill without using them. The good news is they don't last long at all so I should be through the two packs I ordered in no time.

procell11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages procell11

Same here, they do not hold a charge, not worth buying!

bjbyers wrote:There are very few purchases on Woot I have regretted, but this is one of them. These batteries are completely junk. For example when used in a automatic soap dispenser a standard battery will last apx 6 months. These will last maybe 1 month. The only reason I haven't thrown them all away is I feel guilty filling up a land fill without using them. The good news is they don't last long at all so I should be through the two packs I ordered in no time.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dthutchison wrote:I've always wanted to try "Kadak" batteries. Did Kadak acquire Kodak?

Silly wooter. Typos are fun! It's fixed.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner
bjbyers wrote:There are very few purchases on Woot I have regretted, but this is one of them. These batteries are completely junk. For example when used in a automatic soap dispenser a standard battery will last apx 6 months. These will last maybe 1 month. The only reason I haven't thrown them all away is I feel guilty filling up a land fill without using them. The good news is they don't last long at all so I should be through the two packs I ordered in no time.

Interesting. I have the exact opposite experience. I ordered 2 AA and 1 AAA packs a long time ago (a year+?), and I've had plenty of good experiences with the longevity. I think I have at least some credibility with the issue, as I have a three-year-old son, and believe me when say that he's got too dern many toys, and all of them seem to take batteries.

I'm strongly considering getting the C and D ones now, even though we don't need them very often.

(FWIW, I don't store them in the fridge, just out in the garage.)

TheTimmy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheTimmy

I have some DIY projects that were designed to use the AA sized batteries. One project in particular draws about an amp per 3-4 second use periodically throughout the day, and I'll get about a week's worth of use before the power output drops too low to produce the desired effect. so getting these in bulk at a decent price works well for me. good timing as well, seeing as I am just about out of batteries from the last time I stocked up.

unfortunately all my used batteries aren't really dead, just low. so I have a box of a couple hundred AA batteries that have just enough charge to do nothing useful with, but aren't exactly dead either.

why not go rechargeable? I haven't found one that provides the same voltage or amperage output as their non-rechargeable counterpart. that 0.3v difference can be a big deal sometimes.

does anybody have any ideas on what to do with tons of half-used batteries? I only have so many remote controls to stuff'em in.

edit:
also, this time around, I need a pack of AA as well as AAA (and wouldn't mind picking up some 9v too), but it seems that I can only pick one type for ordering.

haydesigner

TheTimmy wrote:edit:
also, this time around, I need a pack of AA as well as AAA (and wouldn't mind picking up some 9v too), but it seems that I can only pick one type for ordering.

You just order different times for each one. Select one, hit order. Then select another, and hit order again.

azvinnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azvinnie

I've had good luck with these Kodak Alkaline batteries. The Fuji Heavy Duty batteries that woot sold a while back were complete junk.

According to http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html the kodak batteries are almost as good as the kirkland (Costco) but are a much better deal (see the cost per Ah chart - smaller is better)

kingrat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingrat

I've had these AA batteries, bought both from Woot! and locally, and never had any problems with them. I mostly use them in a couple of my handheld scanners, and they last almost exactly the same amount of time as Duracell. Maxell, or Energizer's do. I'm ordering another load of them in a couple of minutes.

mygirlkat74

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mygirlkat74
procell11 wrote:Same here, they do not hold a charge, not worth buying!

We have evil Furbys, and my kids love them and play all the time with them. And I use these in them, and they last longer than the Energizer one's my mother put in them when she gave them to the kids at Christmas, those lasted 5 and 6 days. On average we are getting 10 to 14 days on these, with the same amount of play.

TheTimmy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheTimmy
haydesigner wrote:You just order different times for each one. Select one, hit order. Then select another, and hit order again.

ahh.. in previous experiences, once you made an order, you could not order it again and would be met with a message that an order for the day has already been made. has this limitation been removed?

wjfreeman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wjfreeman
bjbyers wrote:These will last maybe 1 month. The only reason I haven't thrown them all away is I feel guilty filling up a land fill without using them.

FWIW, Home Depot accepts small batteries for recycling. Fluorescent bulbs too. Recycle bins are in the store near the return desk as a rule.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
wjfreeman wrote:FWIW, Home Depot accepts small batteries for recycling. Fluorescent bulbs too. Recycle bins are in the store near the return desk as a rule.

Aren't those for rechargeable batteries?

SuperNinja

TheTimmy wrote:does anybody have any ideas on what to do with tons of half-used batteries? I only have so many remote controls to stuff'em in.

http://www.amazon.com/FordEx-Group-300lm-Flashlight-Adjustable/dp/B006E0QAFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373005230

haydesigner

TheTimmy wrote:ahh.. in previous experiences, once you made an order, you could not order it again and would be met with a message that an order for the day has already been made. has this limitation been removed?

In short, yes. :-)

Woot is now an all you can order, as much as you can order destination. (Okay, I might be exaggerating a bit there.)

SuperNinja

haydesigner wrote:Woot is now an all you can order, as much as you can order destination.

The old "Give an inch, take a mile" trick.

amick827

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amick827

I've bought several packs last September in AAA and AA. These are among the worst batteries I've used. Ray-O-Vac batteries from Wal-Mart have a better life than these Kodak batteries. Wooters beware.

ceagee

quality posts: 65 Private Messages ceagee

So half the wootizens say they suck, the other half say they are fine.
Which I translate into it's a crap shoot.
Probably batch to batch differences and of course depends on what one is using them for.

Well, thanks for trying guys. I'm off to find some dice, or a coin or maybe my Magic 8 Ball.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I've bought these in the past and they worked fine for me.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
TheTimmy wrote:I have some DIY projects that were designed to use the AA sized batteries. One project in particular draws about an amp per 3-4 second use periodically throughout the day, and I'll get about a week's worth of use before the power output drops too low to produce the desired effect. so getting these in bulk at a decent price works well for me. good timing as well, seeing as I am just about out of batteries from the last time I stocked up.

unfortunately all my used batteries aren't really dead, just low. so I have a box of a couple hundred AA batteries that have just enough charge to do nothing useful with, but aren't exactly dead either.

why not go rechargeable? I haven't found one that provides the same voltage or amperage output as their non-rechargeable counterpart. that 0.3v difference can be a big deal sometimes.

does anybody have any ideas on what to do with tons of half-used batteries? I only have so many remote controls to stuff'em in.

edit:

The lower initial voltage of rechargeables is misleading. They keep a more constant voltage than alkalines. The average alkaline voltage under load varies with the current from 1.1 to 1.3 V. They are considered fully discharged when the voltage is about 0.9 V. That is even worse for voltage sensitive devices. That's why you get very poor life from alkalines in cameras when using the flash (light-not memory). Use alkalines only for infrequently used devices which are not voltage sensitive.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

Its Hurricane Season. Can't have enough batteries!

zgrav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zgrav
whitcwa wrote:does anybody have any ideas on what to do with tons of half-used batteries? I only have so many remote controls to stuff'em in.

Why not look into adding a voltage step up chip to your project so you can suck more juice out of your batteries before discarding them? That is what a lot of the better LED flashlights do. It sounds like your battery savings would be substantial over time -- certainly enough to justify the cost of the modification.

Zgrav

spiderdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spiderdad

These, of course, are not great for digital cameras. But I bought a pack of AA last December, used mostly for XBox controllers, and they've lasted pretty well. We're about halfway through that shipment, so I think I'll just do AAA this time.

jeffiekins

quality posts: 56 Private Messages jeffiekins
ceagee wrote:So half the wootizens say they suck, the other half say they are fine.
Which I translate into it's a crap shoot.
Probably batch to batch differences and of course depends on what one is using them for.

Well, thanks for trying guys. I'm off to find some dice, or a coin or maybe my Magic 8 Ball.

That's probably because Kodak makes "regular" alkaline and (these) MAX Alkaline batteries.

These are designed to give much better life in high-drain devices, which are the ones that usually suck a regular alkaline dry very quickly. (I have seen a lot of confusion about that.)

OTOH, you would probably notice no difference in a device that usually gets weeks out of a regular battery.

Kodak is more proud of these, and they have a higher MSRP. I remember that when they had "regular" Kodak alkaline batteries, the comments were either "ok" or "suck." These are "ok" and "suck" and "better than average."

So, these are better than those. But some people don't get that they are different, so they talk about those in a discussion about these.

Clear as mud?

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

72 Alkaline AA cells for less than $.28 per cell (shipped) is a pretty good deal. With the exception of the "Super Cells" costing over $2 each, these last just as long as any other conventional Alkaline.
This table displays a test performed showing many of the common alkaline battery performance.
batteryshowdown.com/results-hi.html

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139

Add me to the "these are junk" list. I use these for my children's toys and TV remotes. They will only last me about 3-4 months on average even in a TV remote! Oh well.

Insert signature here.

SargassoC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SargassoC

I use the Ikea batteries listed as the best bang for your buck (er-- British pound) on the comparison website.

If you live near an Ikea-- or the next time you go-- I recommend stocking up. Cheap! And they compare favorably. (And who doesn't like bright yellow batteries?)

sndpaper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sndpaper

Woot!!!! How can I get ONE pack of THREE different sizes?

You got me in a weak moment. I wanna
BUY!!!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
azvinnie wrote:I've had good luck with these Kodak Alkaline batteries. The Fuji Heavy Duty batteries that woot sold a while back were complete junk.
)

Comparing these to the Fuji heavy duty cells is really a very poor comparison. The Fuji's were zinc/carbon cells that aren't worth anything and should be banned along with the 100 watt incondescent light bulb. Zinc/carbon cells are ancient technology and are nothing but landfill. These alkalines are the "Premium" version of the Kodak alkaline cells.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling

I'm in. I bought the AAs a while back and they've worked well (still have two full packs left). Now I'm gonna get a couple of 9V packs. I have a dog bark suppressor and it eats up a 9V every 3 weeks or so.
EDIT - Or maybe not! 9V sold out while I was looking at the rest of the site. Drat!

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Ahhh. Caught me at a time when I'm already stocked up big on batteries. While I realize they store well, it'll probably be a couple years before I empty my current cache.

bluemoon72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemoon72
LordBling wrote:9V sold out while I was looking at the rest of the site. Drat!

You're in luck, they're back.

azvinnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages azvinnie
Ringo4422 wrote:Comparing these to the Fuji heavy duty cells is really a very poor comparison. The Fuji's were zinc/carbon cells that aren't worth anything and should be banned along with the 100 watt incondescent light bulb. Zinc/carbon cells are ancient technology and are nothing but landfill. These alkalines are the "Premium" version of the Kodak alkaline cells.

I agree. I only mentioned the Fuji batteries because I'm wondering if some of the folks complaining about lousy batteries are talking about those...

dwasifar

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dwasifar
TheTimmy wrote:does anybody have any ideas on what to do with tons of half-used batteries? I only have so many remote controls to stuff'em in.

Craigslist, "Free Stuff" section. Explain in the ad that these will work well in remotes for the remaining half of their lives, and someone will be on your doorstep for them in an hour.

kratz9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kratz9

Whats the country of origin on these? I usually try to by the ones made in the USA, but US/China orgin varies even between different packages of the same brand.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
LordBling wrote:I'm in. I bought the AAs a while back and they've worked well (still have two full packs left). Now I'm gonna get a couple of 9V packs. I have a dog bark suppressor and it eats up a 9V every 3 weeks or so.
EDIT - Or maybe not! 9V sold out while I was looking at the rest of the site. Drat!

Slightly more expensive per battery when you factor in woot shipping. These ones ship free. Rayovac is probably better quality though.

Rayovac Alkaline 9 Volt Industrial Battery Shrink-wrapped 24/Pack
$33.60 ($1.40/battery)

http://www.medicbatteries.com/rayovac-9-volt-battery-buy-rayovac

RonnyBoy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages RonnyBoy

what to do with weak AA batteries? Two things. I first try to charge them back up to the point where they can be used effectively in things that need high voltages. (I use the charger Woot sells along with the green white case batteries ... forgot the name). Failing that I use the batteries in low voltage things ... like flashlights that have led bulbs. When they are used up then I toss them in my favorite landfills.

TheTimmy wrote:I have some DIY projects that were designed to use the AA sized batteries. One project in particular draws about an amp per 3-4 second use periodically throughout the day, and I'll get about a week's worth of use before the power output drops too low to produce the desired effect. so getting these in bulk at a decent price works well for me. good timing as well, seeing as I am just about out of batteries from the last time I stocked up.

edit:

I joined on April 15, 2005, instead of working on my taxes. The hell with taxes.