Some good reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at tigerdirect.com

robswampthing

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robswampthing

this isnt by chance the one with wi-fi and apps is it? if so im down

DanGrossman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DanGrossman

No, no wifi or apps.

720P in this day and age?

And it's a 1366x768 panel inside, so... how good does a picture stretched by a fractional multiplier (1.067x) look?

That's a low resolution for a TV, and an especially low resolution for a 29" TV. It's barely enough for a passable 14" laptop screen.

Pass!

lichme

quality posts: 3002 Private Messages lichme

It is worth noting, there is a $20 price reduction from the Previous Sale

djp519

quality posts: 12 Private Messages djp519
DanGrossman wrote:

And it's a 1366x768 panel inside, so... how good does a picture stretched by a fractional multiplier (1.067x) look?

EVERY 720p tv has a 1366x768 panel.

And 720p is going to be fine for this size. Most people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a screen smaller than 32-37 inches.

With only two HDMI inputs, don't plan to use this with multiple game consoles, blu-ray players, cable boxes, etc, unless you're using an HDMI switch or a newer AV receiver. But it should work fine as a bedroom set, or in a secondary room.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

HDTV is a marketing gimick below 32". Your eyes are not going to be able to see the difference between HDTV and SDTV (Standard Def) when the screen sizes are less than 32".

Test after test confirms this plus it's physically impossible. Yet people "claim" to be able to tell.

Too bad tests don't bear this out.

The thing people are actually seeing in less than 32" are things like pixel lighting, shading of colors and refresh times.

These are not a product of high or low def. And they DO make a difference. But to simply declare "It's not high def or only 720) is not only wrong but shows you fell for marketing hype.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
DanGrossman wrote:No, no wifi or apps.

That's a low resolution for a TV, and an especially low resolution for a 29" TV. It's barely enough for a passable 14" laptop screen.

Pass!

720P is just fine for a 29" ! The TV is good for a very small area, well worth it.

I pass too just b/c I don't need it not for the reasons you stated.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

EricPost wrote:HDTV is a marketing gimick below 32". Your eyes are not going to be able to see the difference between HDTV and SDTV (Standard Def) when the screen sizes are less than 32".

Test after test confirms this wplus it's physically impossible. Yet people "claim" to be able to tell.

The thing people are actually seeing in less than 32" are things like pixel lighting, shading of colors and refresh times.

These are not a product of high or low def. And they DO make a difference. But to simply declare "It's not high def or only 720) is not only wrong but shows you fell for marketing hype.

You make sense! Thanks for explaining before others thought he was a rocket scientist, no I meant a TV scientist! True quality post. . Thank u!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

jkgm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkgm

"Voltage Range: 120Vac at 50/60Hz"

Any idea if this is really 120/240 like most electronics? Considering taking this overseas with me. My older Vizio TV is perfectly happy at 240/50, and I suspect this one might be too since it specifies 50/60hz.

compudata

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compudata
EricPost wrote:HDTV is a marketing gimick below 32". Your eyes are not going to be able to see the difference between HDTV and SDTV (Standard Def) when the screen sizes are less than 32".

I beg to differ. SDTV is only 480i whereas HDTV starts at 720p. I can tell a HUGE difference between SD and HD even on the 19" TV in the bedroom. Now as to the comparison that you're -really- trying to make here... there is little difference between 720 and 1080 on a smaller screen, but leave the old, poor SDTV standard out of it! :-)

rwt467

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwt467

Test after test confirms this plus it's physically impossible. Yet people "claim" to be able to tell.

You're drunk. You meant they can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720p below 32". SD and HD is night and day at any size.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87

Also, if you plan to use it on a computer, you will want a 1080p

clothilde3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clothilde3

I have really basic questions -- haven't owned a tv since college.

Right now I use a 13" macbook air to watch netflix, youtube etc.

1) Can I use this tv as a larger monitor for my laptop? And if so is there any way to do that wirelessly?

2) Could I get a roku and use this tv for hulu, netflix etc? Is that fairly easy to set up?

3) I won't be subscribing to cable, but can I get "regular" over-the-air tv on this set without any additional paraphernalia? Last time I had a tv was before digital signal.

4) Finally, given that I won't be getting cable, is there any advantage at all to getting a tv as opposed to a large monitor, in terms of either ease of setup/use or better variety of viewing options? In other words, if one is not a cable tv subscriber, is there a reason to buy a tv over a same-sized computer monitor?

thanks in advance!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I do not agree with this post one bit. There is a huge visual difference between SDTV and HDTV at this size. As well, to complain about 720P resolution on a TV this size is just laughable. Ok, why doesn't everyone complain how horrible the sound is on ALL HDTVs sold today... "In this day and age".?

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

rwt467 wrote:You're drunk. You meant they can't tell the difference between 1080 and 720p below 32". SD and HD is night and day at any size.

I have found that more people than I want to believe are still watching their HDTV with a standard def connection. Unbelievable. The cable company actually connected the yellow "Composite" video cable from the standard def box to my mother-in-law's 37" Vizio and had it that way for 3 years! She claims she didn't want to pay the extra monthly price for a HDTV cable box. I removed the box and had her TV scan all digital channels without any cable box. Now she has 14 HDTV channels along with 60 some odd standard def channels and couldn't believe the difference on the HD channels.
It is possible the OP actually is watching the same way. Amazing.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

gonzoin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gonzoin

THANKS!!

You took the words right outta my mouth. I needed a small TV for our spare room so those rare guests have something to watch.

Ringo4422

MichXelle wrote:You make sense! Thanks for explaining before others thought he was a rocket scientist, no I meant a TV scientist! True quality post. . Thank u!

You are kidding, right?

Ringo4422

clothilde3 wrote:I have really basic questions -- haven't owned a tv since college.

1) Can I use this tv as a larger monitor for my laptop? And if so is there any way to do that wirelessly?

2) Could I get a roku and use this tv for hulu, netflix etc? Is that fairly easy to set up?

3) I won't be subscribing to cable, but can I get "regular" over-the-air tv on this set without any additional paraphernalia? Last time I had a tv was before digital signal.

4) Finally, given that I won't be getting cable, is there any advantage at all to getting a tv as opposed to a large monitor, in terms of either ease of setup/use or better variety of viewing options? In other words, if one is not a cable tv subscriber, is there a reason to buy a tv over a same-sized computer monitor?

thanks in advance!

If you don't live in a fringe area you can watch local HDTV broadcasts (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, etc.) with just a rabbit ear antenna. Amplified ones work best. Believe it or not, an antenna actually offers a better HD picture that any cable or satellite feed because there is no data compression with over the air broadcasts. This means no motion blurr like cable and satellite has.

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

The unit supports 1920x1080i, which pretty much means almost everything being broadcasted right now. The TV is 720progressive and 1080interlaced. This is more than enough for a 29inch TV. Also, one reason to buy this is Vizio is an American brand. Buy American and support the economy.

arosiriak

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arosiriak
clothilde3 wrote:I have really basic questions -- haven't owned a tv since college.

thanks in advance!

I have a bit of TV experience, so I'll give this a go... My apologies ahead of time if you were looking for shorter answers - I prefer thoroughness to brevity

1) Yes, this can be used as an external monitor, with a few caveats: Coming from a MacBook Air, this would be a size upgrade, but a slight hit in acreen resolution, though for movie purposes that would be just fine. For productivity, youmwould absolutely want a higher res 1080p tv/monitor, at the least. You would also need an adapter from Displayport mini (or Thunderbolt) to HDMI. Not too rare or expensive. However, that signal would be quite difficult to send wirelessly to the TV. Your options for that would be a wireless HDMI kit (which range in price from $50ish to $200 or so), or use an Apple TV device ($90-100), if your MacBook Air supports AirPlay. Best to check with some Apple Store Geniuses before buying in though, since there are only a few of the newer macs that can push wireless video.

2) Yes, the Roku devices would all work fine with this TV since HDMI is the standard connection for modern hi-def signals. However, if you are already in the Apple ecosystem, the Apple TV may make sense as an alternative, since it offers similar options for subscription video (e.g. Netflix, etc.), and with a slightly easier user interface. Neither device is difficult to set up, though you would need to set up a Roku account or use your Apple ID for the respective devices, and they both require a credit card number be attached to the accounts, just in case you want to pay them exorbitant amounts for their convenient streaming libraries.

3) This point is unclear... It appears that the TV has a built-in tuner, which means that it can accept channels and guide info, but it doesn't seem to list specs for an antenna. I may be wrong on this, but it looks like you would just need an external antenna (one of the newer flat ones would suffice - we don't really need the rabbit ears of older years), and a cable to connect them.

4) TV versus monitor is a long argument, so I will try to sum up the pros and cons of each and let you decide:

TVs
+ Built-in tuner for cable or OTA (over-the-air) broadcasts.
+ Typically better built-in automatic video processing for film/video sources.
+ Typically better built-in speakers.
+ More inputs, so you can add more than just the computer without extra HDMI switches, a receiver, etc.
- At lower end, almost no control/options for picture, other than brightness.
- Lower resolution, at least for this TV, since you would really hard-pressed to find a mass market monitor with less than 1080p resolution.

Monitors
+ Typically better options for control of picture color, brightness, contrast.
+ Higher resolution for this price range, usually.
+ Potentially better screen response time, and input lag (usually not a huge issue unless you game).
- Not many have speakers buil-in.
- Fewer inputs.
- No TV tuner, though that hardly matters if all of your sources are Internet-based.
- Not many monitors have great video processing options for film/video sources at lower price points, although you should be able to do some adjustment with the computer before the signals is passed.

Conclusion:
In your stated case, I would probably say the TV is a pretty good deal, if you don't plan on using it with the MacBook Air for doing office work. It will do your multimedia well if you can deal with the wires, or with the cost of a wireless HDMI kit or Apple TV. Ther are indoor flat antennas available that are cheap, and you could have multiple things hooked up at once without cables having to be switched around all the time. And the speakers on this unit seem to be pretty good for this size of TV.

Hope that helps!

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MosquitoControl

You absolutely can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a screen this size, because screen size is only one factor in the "tests" someone repeated.

Distance is the other.

This is why a 15" monitor with a 720p screen irks so many people - it's about 12-16 inches from your face.

But a TV? 29" TV will look the same regardless once you're a few feet away.

clothilde3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clothilde3

[quote postid="5490883" user="arosiriak"]I have a bit of TV experience, so I'll give this a go... My apologies ahead of time if you were looking for shorter answers - I prefer thoroughness to brevity ......

thanks so much for the detailed and clear response!

lwballjr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lwballjr

I've got one of these in both of my kids rooms. They are perfect for watching dvds/blu rays. They aren't 1080P but they still have a great picture and I've had no issues with either set. The remote is somewhat flimsy but at 150 bucks you can't really expect everything to be perfect.

patlav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patlav

What's up with the stand on this bad boy? Are there alternatives to that weird handle-like lean option?

grantman102002

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grantman102002
patlav wrote:What's up with the stand on this bad boy? Are there alternatives to that weird handle-like lean option?

Yes, there are alternatives. The TV is VESA mount compliant, using the 100mm standard. This means you can mount the TV to a monitor arm or TV mount that uses the 100mm VESA standard.

I plan on grabbing one of these and using it on my Ergotron desktop monitor arm. Should be saweeet!

Also, with most 720p panels, if you hook up a laptop using the VGA port on the TV you will get the native resolution of the panel (1366x768), which will be a nice step up from 720p, and will be much sharper since the monitor wont have to scale the image. Only problem is you will have to hook up the audio to the TV separate, as VGA doesn't carry audio.

gsuburban

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsuburban

Most cable signals are 720P/1080i, few are FHDTV or 1080P. Also, the smaller the panel as in this case, the less need for 1080P as the resolution improvement is not noticeable with smaller screens. Once you exceed 47" or so, full HD or 1080P would be needed to get the full results of a 1080P signal although, not all cable programing is in this category yet. 1080P panels would make sense for those who are displaying BluRay play back on large TV's.

rallyaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rallyaj
patlav wrote:What's up with the stand on this bad boy? Are there alternatives to that weird handle-like lean option?

This is what's keeping me from buying this. Direct TV will be here Thursday installing the genie in 3 rooms. Still using a 27" tube TV in my office so this would have been perfect for my entertainment stand. Seeing the prices of freestanding mounts, I'll just buy something else that sits perpendicular to the floor. Really wondering why they would make the stand like that.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

Bought the 24" last week for the kitchen. On the counter, the leaning stand makes it a perfect viewing angle.

MichXelle

gonzoin wrote:THANKS!!

You took the words right outta my mouth. I needed a small TV for our spare room so those rare guests have something to watch.

I'm glad someone else understands his valid points.

I've seen no difference under 32" especially when 1 of my kids bought too small of a TV for her bedroom which is 16' x 18'. It was a 27" 720 in the old days when there was no LED & prices were very high. That Samsung picture was damn good but the TV was too small for her bedroom size. She got an upper 30" (37" or 38" back then I think) and the entire family couldn't see the difference from the 27" 720 or the 37-38" 1080 when set up. She loved that 27" so much she didn't bring it back and it wound up in the kitchen when she moved out & bought her own starter home months later.

Once again, I agree that under 32" 780 to 1080 does not make a difference. At or over 32", a different situation.

girlsmeg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages girlsmeg

Got mine yesterday. Very clear picture. I like the control buttons on the left side. Great deal.

rstasel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rstasel

Just got mine... and for some reason, it does 1080p with no problem. Someone must have loaded the wrong firmware on this thing during refurb, or Vizio is lying about the specs (guessing either way, it's a software limit, since the 24" does 1080p).

btw, got it to do 1080p by having my PS3 auto-detect output capability of the TV, and it came back saying it did 1080p, I agreed and lo and behold, it works, and the TV reports 1080p. Huh.

Does seem like the image is a bit darker though... can't say it looks any better than 720p... as most say, ≤32" it makes nearly zero difference.

modug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages modug

Mine was sufficiently broken upon arrival (screen won't turn on but power LED button does)

manhandsha

quality posts: 35 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

modug wrote:Mine was sufficiently broken upon arrival (screen won't turn on but power LED button does)

That stinks, I'm sorry. In this case, I'd recommend emailing Woot Member Services. They can go over any options that are available to you. Be sure to include your order number and user ID in your email for quicker service. support@woot.com

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

midmichman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages midmichman

Mine lasted almost 1 year. Screen went all configgly. I guess the refurb didn't take so well.