Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

Not so good review from Best Buy

lichme

quality posts: 2652 Private Messages lichme

scottman54

quality posts: 34 Private Messages scottman54

These are great while they work, but die after about a year due to cheap capacitors they used. Extremely common for these. Happened twice to me. These are probably made from all the warranty returns. Don't say I didn't warn you.

jasonf1984

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jasonf1984

I own this particular model and have no real complaints, it does what it says it does and it seems to do it well. My main problem with this product is the mobile app. I paid $150 for this and the android app on the market cost $25 dollars. It is free to stream to a laptop, but after paying that amount then wanting 25 to stream to my phone and 25 more to stream to my tablet for the "tablet optimized" app I find that a ridiculous amount for these apps. I kind of expected them to be free or at least affordable. If I would have known that. I can't say that I would recommend this to a friend or buy again.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Read (and watch) this "excellent" review over at cnet.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3115 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "excellent" review over at pcmag.com

Mikegtp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mikegtp

Nobody posted the reviews from Amazon? Here they are: href="http://www.amazon.com/Good-Ideas-EZCJR-BLK-7-Cubic-Foot-Compost/dp/B002D925D6"

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk

My problem with these is they have no built in or USB WiFi support

And I have DISH which should be most compatible as the own SLING now and built into their high end receivers.

But just not practical to get hard wire Ethernet from DSL/router location to TV Sat Rx

haywardk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages haywardk

The other down side is the receiving device software... it is $30 per device not owner.

themattdunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages themattdunn

The slingbox they have at work has died twice in 6 months.

spizmar

quality posts: 11 Private Messages spizmar

"some folks call it a kaiser box but I call it a sling box"

sandalgod

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sandalgod

Bought mine almost 2 years ago and it's still going like a champion. It is used almost daily for many hours at a time. The $30 price tag for the app is a steep but I'd much rather pay the one time rather than a monthly fee. I'm able to use the phone app on my xoom as well. Best thing I've ever bought from woot!

worldofjohnboy

quality posts: 77 Private Messages worldofjohnboy
haywardk wrote:My problem with these is they have no built in or USB WiFi support

And I have DISH which should be most compatible as the own SLING now and built into their high end receivers.

But just not practical to get hard wire Ethernet from DSL/router location to TV Sat Rx

If you can't get CAT5/6 to the box, get a wireless bridge. They are a dime a dozen and solves your problem. I have one on my Blu-ray player and never had any issues.

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

worldofjohnboy

quality posts: 77 Private Messages worldofjohnboy

I have had my solo for over 2 years, running all the time and have had ZERO issues with it. Regarding the comments about the price of the smartphone/tablet apps, though I agree that it seems steep, I can speak for Android app and paid 1 fee once... I have the app loaded on three smartphones and a tablet. (Not sure if crApple iTunes charges you for having it on multiple devices or types of devices, so please note that I can only validate on Android devices.)

I was tempted to get the HD version of the Slingbox, but have heard the experience can be shaky at best due to encryption that some cable providers have on the HDMI port. I stuck with the Solo and have yet to be let down.

"Every man dies... not every man truly lives." -William Wallace (from the movie Braveheart)

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Any way to receive a stream from sling box on a conventional T.V.?

Done and done! ;)

lepooner38

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lepooner38
jasonf1984 wrote: I paid $150 for this and the android app on the market cost $25 dollars. It is free to stream to a laptop, but after paying that amount then wanting 25 to stream to my phone and 25 more to stream to my tablet for the "tablet optimized" app

Even using the same google play account??

abellee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abellee

Can I watch one program on the road while somebody is watching a different one at home using the same cable box? Or do we both have to have the same program running?

cosmictrucker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cosmictrucker

I've been using a Slingbox for a long time. Purchased both from woot! It works great for sending TV from my tivo box to any computer on my network plus to my android phone while I'm traveling away from home.

The only problem I've had is with the ac adapter failing after a couple years. It fails to a point you can still see the LED lights on the front of the slingbox, but the slingbox won't power up. It's a cheap fix to replace, and the unit has worked flawlessly since.

I use this each and every day. Love it.

You can also plug in a video camera and use the Slingbox as a remote home monitoring device.

gephardt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gephardt
worldofjohnboy wrote:If you can't get CAT5/6 to the box, get a wireless bridge. They are a dime a dozen and solves your problem. I have one on my Blu-ray player and never had any issues.

I do the same with a dd-wrt client bridge to my Roku and blueray. The bridge will be better than any built in WiFi. I did the same thing with an Airlink router previously. also with excellent results.

cosmictrucker

abellee wrote:Can I watch one program on the road while somebody is watching a different one at home using the same cable box? Or do we both have to have the same program running?

The slingbox I use takes command of your tv cable box. I use a Tivo for my cable box. So if you were to watch a show away from home, whom ever was at home would see the same as you. I suggest hooking this to a cable box in a spare room

cosmictrucker

themattdunn wrote:The slingbox they have at work has died twice in 6 months.

Chances are the ac adapter is what failed. If you still have your slingbox, go find a new ac adapter.

ewyrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ewyrick
abellee wrote:Can I watch one program on the road while somebody is watching a different one at home using the same cable box? Or do we both have to have the same program running?

If you use Slingbox, those at home have to watch what you're watching.

flyer8877

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyer8877

Can the Slingbox stream to two or more devices at the same time? For instance, if my wife and I are both at work, can we watch the same program (me on my cell phone while my wife uses her laptop) at the same time?

jthebird1977

quality posts: 26 Private Messages jthebird1977

Question: Does using slingbox takeover the dvr/cablebox? Can we still record/watch shows at the tv while others are accessing shows from elsewhere?

edit: nevermind...saw the answer above...

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa
flyer8877 wrote:Can the Slingbox stream to two or more devices at the same time? For instance, if my wife and I are both at work, can we watch the same program (me on my cell phone while my wife uses her laptop) at the same time?

AFAIK, no. At this price you can buy 2 and connect them to the same source.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

I installed ten Slingboxes at work two years ago. No failures so far.

sangalang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sangalang
skispeakeasy wrote:Any way to receive a stream from sling box on a conventional T.V.?

Sure, use either your mobile device, or computer, or a device like a NeoTV Max with the Slingbox app and attach it via HDMI to your TV. I do it all the time when I travel. I just plug in my Kindle HD to the HDTV in the hotel room, and I have all my local sports and programming while I'm away from home!

davevpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevpi

I have had a Slingbox Pro-HD for three years and it still works fine.

The SOLO is not high definition so buyer beware of that.

13 woots since 2012 totaling $887.91

snhester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snhester

Both have to watch the same channel and my experience is that each can change the channel but both see the same channel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 09171960

I like them French fried potatoes ah ha.

PeteCal

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PeteCal

I have been involved "managing" five slingboxes (son, daughter, mine, two
for friends). I have concluded that if it works, good for you but if you
have problems you are in for a never ending battle.

I originally got a slingbox when it was still an independent company and
they worked flawlessly. Then they were bought out by one of the satellite
TV companies and it has been downhill ever since.

If something changes, like I got a new router, I could not get the slingbox
to work. I discovered that it would not accept an IP address from the new
router. I had to force my new router to go back to the old IP Address to
make it work.

If you go to the forums, forget it. I placed a question in February and got
a reply from Sling in May. And it made no sense. They were telling me I
had a firewall problem when the problem had nothing to do with firewalls.

If you try to follow the help pages you get different information and things
you cannot do. It is like the help just gives you random answers; nothing
connected to what your problem is.

If you have a working slingbox, DO NOT upgrade the firmware. I am sure that
killed the one I am trying to get working now.

And, man, if you have a problem, they love to force you to the "paid help".
Of course if it is like the forum help. Good luck!

One poster reported the person on the other end hung up when he asked for a
supervisor.

******************************** New Information ********************
I wrote the above last June. Just a week ago I was at my daughter's and had
to rearrange her network. Sure as $hit the sling solo didn't make it
through the change. It took me two hours of going through the "setup"
process. I would do identical steps but the setup software would give me
entirely different options sometimes. I finally got it almost working but I
couldn't get the "remote" to appear. My daughter got on her iPad and the
remote came up for her. That sling now works but only through her iPad.
Any other computer, including one wired to the same router cannot tune it
because of no "remote".

It is so frustrating to try to go through the setup steps and part way
through something takes you to a whole different set of steps. Even though
you did nothing different.

Pete

airspoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages airspoon

I have had a Slingbox Solo for many, many years now (I was an early adopter), and while it's true that the capacitors are extremely cheap rendering this thing useless after about a year for many people, Sling Media's customer service is excellent. Luckily, my first one lasted about 3 years. I then posted something on their support forums asking what was wrong with my Solo and somebody from Sling emailed me saying that they would be happy to replace my Solo for free. A couple days later I got a new one. No questions asked. There is no guarantee that they will do this for you, but for $59, you will definitely get your money's worth if you only get to use it for a year. The cheap capacitors were a huge problem for the Slingbox so I wouldn't be surprised if these refurbished units have better capacitors. It would only cost the company a couple of pennies to put better capacitors in the unit and a blown capacitor is likely what got these units returned to be refurbished. I would definitely recommend the Slingbox Solo.

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

SquareTrade won't extend the warranty although Woot provides a link to do so...what's going on?

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
scottman54 wrote:These are great while they work, but die after about a year due to cheap capacitors they used. Extremely common for these. Happened twice to me. These are probably made from all the warranty returns. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Happened to me once also- then I switched to Vulkano by Monsoon and never looked back.

rampo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rampo

I've owned 2 refurbished SOLOs. The first one had the aforementioned capacitor problem & crapped out after about a year. My 2nd SOLO has lasted well beyond the original warranty & is still working today. I believe the current mobile Slingplayer apps are now $14.99, half the old price. In addition, Western Digital Live Players, Netgear Neo Live & Boxee have free versions of Slingplayer. Sadly, Roku is NOT among the supported devices.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
Mikegtp wrote:Nobody posted the reviews from Amazon? Here they are: href="http://www.amazon.com/Good-Ideas-EZCJR-BLK-7-Cubic-Foot-Compost/dp/B002D925D6"

you're posting a review for an item in a different sale.

I always did like yardsales.

anbcooper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages anbcooper

You have to connect to the slingbox with a computer/laptop, then route to a tv through the computer's hdmi port. Cumbersome, but effective, when traveling and want to watch your home tv on another tv.

svbebe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages svbebe
skispeakeasy wrote:Any way to receive a stream from sling box on a conventional T.V.?

I SLING to a WD TV Live Hub which is connected via HDMI to a monitor. The WD's remote controls the Direct TV box where the slingbox is located. Works well, except note that this slingbox is not for HD.

Hope this helps.