Lots of handy info direct from Vizio

lichme

quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

Item: VIZIO 50" 1080p 120Hz LED Smart TV w/ Wi-Fi
Price: $469.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/16/2013 - $549.00 (Woot Plus)
4/24/2013 - $549.00 (Woot Plus)

lichme

quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

Good feedback from Amazon Users with a 4 star Avg

Mmock5885

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mmock5885

Say, that player bares a striking resemblance to Buffalo's own #13, Stevie Johnson.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3536 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) Over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3536 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

dogar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dogar

I have the 42" version with all of the same specs. I LOVE THIS SET! I wish I had room and cash to buy this but I do not. I wouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger on this deal.

Bravo WOOT!

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

I'm seeing this tv on different websites being labeled as a:
LED-backlit LCD TV.

So which is it?

drunkenalien

quality posts: 46 Private Messages drunkenalien

TV is pretty thick considering its labeled as a led. Looks more like a plasma or LCD in thickness than a led.

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait

Edit: Per the CNET review, it is LCD with LED backlight.

Edit 2: lichme already posted the links. Sorry. Didn't mean to duplicate.

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait
PemberDucky wrote:i'm not seeing that. where are you looking?

it doesn't seem to be on the product page.

See the specs on the vendor site. It clearly states:
Backlight Type: LED.

And the CNET review also states it's an LCD (first paragraph: "the good").

EDIT: Yep. You caught it.

EDIT 2: Apparently all Vizio "LED" TVs are LCD with LED backlight (based on the tech specs on their site).

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

amemait wrote:See the specs on the vendor site. It clearly states:
Backlight Type: LED.

And the CNET review also states it's an LCD (first paragraph: "the good").

deleted my previous post because it was rendered useless and foolish!

okay. so, we do call out the LED backlight in our "features" section.

i've forwarded the feedback regarding the "LED" in our sale title. sorry for the confusion, friends.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

doctorisham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doctorisham

Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set.

From CNET:
Despite the TV's supposed 120Hz refresh rate, the E0i-A1 series behaves just like a 60Hz TV.

mingsty

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mingsty
PemberDucky wrote:deleted my previous post because it was rendered useless and foolish!

okay. so, we do call out the LED backlight in our "features" section.

i've forwarded the feedback regarding the "LED" in our sale title. sorry for the confusion, friends.

Also in the description it's says "This LED HDTV is more energy efficient than conventional LCD HDTVs to save you even more money"
Rather misleading since it's an LCD.

Also in the specs it is listed as an LED.

I am nerdier than 98% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get geeky images and jokes, and write on the nerd forum!

gldnegl65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gldnegl65
doctorisham wrote:Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set.

From CNET:
Despite the TV's supposed 120Hz refresh rate, the E0i-A1 series behaves just like a 60Hz TV.

So what does that mean in laymen terms... I'm not up on the difference. Thanks

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

I bought this TV new on Black Friday from Walmart as a bundle with a very nice wall mount for $899.00 with free shipping. I can not say enough nice things about this TV. Picture is AMAZING, sound is OK. It was my sixth Vizio purchase and all the 5 others are still working fine, many years later. I would buy this in a NY minute if I needed one, which I don't, obviously!!!

tphillippe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tphillippe

All LED TV's are LCD's lit with LED's rather than CCFL's. This can be done in a couple of different ways:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57572740-221/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

z06rono

quality posts: 0 Private Messages z06rono

I had a different Vizio, a 55" 3d. 30 months old, and it died last night. Fortunately it still has an American Express warranty. Suffice it to say, there won't be another vizio in my future. For the money that tv cost, that isn't much of a lifetime. Lots of folks have had good luck with Vizio, lots have had bad.

caddycoupe1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caddycoupe1

Is shipping free?

zenith012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zenith012
gldnegl65 wrote:So what does that mean in laymen terms... I'm not up on the difference. Thanks

(What CNET said - was that the backlighting (LED) of this TV - acts like an LCD backlighting TV).

Further info:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-difference-between-lcd-and-led-tvs/

An excerpt : "LED or LCD: It’s The Back Lighting
Technically speaking, an LED TV is also an LCD TV, as the screen on both is a liquid crystal display. An LCD display has two layers of glass that are polarized and joined together, the liquid crystals then pass or block the light to display the television picture.

The crystals do not produce any light as the light comes from a series of lamps at the back of the screen. On an LCD TV, the lamps at the back of the screen are fluorescent lamps, whilst on an LED TV the lights at the back of the screen are Light Emitting Diodes (LED)."

medintern

quality posts: 0 Private Messages medintern
gldnegl65 wrote:So what does that mean in laymen terms... I'm not up on the difference. Thanks

Here is a website explaining the diff.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady

[quote postid="5491771" user="z06rono"]Early Vizios were bad, bad, bad, plasma TV's.
I have a 42" LCD Vizio purchased four years ago, and have never had a problem. The First HD TV I had was a projection TV, purchased in 2004, and practically on the day it went out of a five year warrenty, it went bad, and the price of repair was too high, considering the age and the improvements in HD tv sets.

ssi6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssi6

I pulled the trigger on this one. Need a tv for our bonus room that I'm turning in to my hideout from a house full of daughters. I've been looking at 50" tv's for several months and never could settle on one. I hope this one is decent.

zebrawoman1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebrawoman1

Best Buy had in their flyer last week for $649.99. We went in to look at it and the salesman tried to sell us a more expensive 3D model, so we left without anything. Glad to see this here for almost $200.less.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
z06rono wrote:I had a different Vizio, a 55" 3d. 30 months old, and it died last night. Fortunately it still has an American Express warranty. Suffice it to say, there won't be another vizio in my future. For the money that tv cost, that isn't much of a lifetime. Lots of folks have had good luck with Vizio, lots have had bad.

I have the Blue Cash Everyday card so this is of interest to me. How does the American Express warranty work? Will it apply to this tv (refurbished)? How long will it work?

theresamx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theresamx

"Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set."

it doesn't mean anything. Apparently, it is such a slight difference, only television snobs can tell the difference. I recently purchased a 55" Vizio smart TV and love it.

As someone mentioned, the picture is great (but you have to tinker with the settings), the sound is just OK. but I'm going to hook it up to a surround sound system, so that is not a deal breaker for me. If the TV is too loud, the sound starts to 'break', and starts to squeal and vibrate. At normal volumes, it is fine (I like the sound kind of loud during a movie, for that movie theatre type experience). So as long as you don't want to crank up the volume for movies, or if you plan to connect it to an external speaker system, then the sound is not an issue.

willhug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willhug

I've been hunting a television through woot for a few months now, luckily there have been plenty of options. However most are refurbs and I was hesitant to spend a few hundred dollars without the square trade warranty.

I just purchased this TV and attempted to follow the link for the SquareTrade warranty. Every time I've tried to submit my information, it keeps telling me "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later or call 1-877-WARRANTY."

I called the SquareTrade number; the only advice they could give me was that they do not cover refurbs unless they're sold through Ebay, and if I want a warranty I have to purchase it directly from Woot.

Can someone advise how to handle this? I have been following woot for a few years now, always appreciated the quick service.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

We've bought three Vizio TV's now and have been VERY pleased with the QPR. We bought our first one on Secondipity, where their condition designation "Excellent" yielded a TV that had a damaged box, but was otherwise untouched - not a fingerprint - and it's been a champ for three years or so.

That one inspired purchase of two more as gifts, and everyone's very happy.

We keep thinking we should upgrade to a snazzier brand, but we keep deciding there's just no need. The Samsungs, etc. we've seen just don't seem that much better, if they're better at all.

aekdb68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aekdb68
k87 wrote:I have the Blue Cash Everyday card so this is of interest to me. How does the American Express warranty work? Will it apply to this tv (refurbished)? How long will it work?

The Amex warranty adds one year to mfg warranty. I have used it a couple of times - no hassle!

dinkledort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dinkledort

Good grief, who needs a silly smart TV? I guess I could see it for a secondary den or bedroom TV, but for my big main setup I have multiple ways of streaming to my dumb TV. Heck, it’s impossible to buy a non-smart Blu-Ray player, which is a necessary component for any large TV. It’s just complicating TV shopping, trying to find a quality large TV without spending a few hundred extra for “smart” features I don’t need.

chaseg327

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseg327

I bought the 55" version of this TV with the same exact specs and features about 6 weeks ago and my wife and I have been loving it so far. It's a really great TV with an incredible picture and the smart TV features are actually really cool (I use them more than I thought I would). I especially like being able to use internet radio apps like Pandora to stream music in our living room over our good speakers. Even though this is an LED backlight, it's not razor thin like some of the smaller screen LED TVs (ours is about 3 inches thick or so), but it's still very light for its size and easily wall-mountable. Since I've only had mine a short time, I can't speak for longevity but so far so good. I'd say this seems like a pretty decent deal (even tho it's refurbished). I have not price compared on this exact screen size, but I can say that I spent a couple hundred more to get mine new, which was a sale price at a brick and mortar store near me. Regardless, I can definitely say that this is a great TV!

firemunkee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firemunkee

Is this refurbished by the manufacturer?

rollo7034

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollo7034

What exactly does "refurb" mean? Does it mean someone bought it and returned it because it was broke and the company fixed it, or does it mean something completely different?

vatchman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vatchman

Is it time to upgrade my 12" B&W?

Still running strong. Look at that beautiful picture!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

willhug wrote:SquareTrade Purchase Problems

Thank you for the EXCELLENT report of the the issue you are having. I've reported it on our end to see if we can't get it resolved.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rollo7034 wrote:What exactly does "refurb" mean? Does it mean someone bought it and returned it because it was broke and the company fixed it, or does it mean something completely different?

Here’s an explanation of refurbished/recertified that may help.

In addition:

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

A "refurbished" item is repaired by a third party vendor and either carries their warranty or a Woot warranty.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor
vatchman wrote:Is it time to upgrade my 12" B&W?

Still running strong. Look at that beautiful picture!

We have one in our kitchen. The smallest you can buy now is a 19". Why would anyone want a 19" in their kitchen. I bought a 10" tablet to replace 3 TVs, except for the main one in the living room.

I also am not sure why someone would spend extra for a smart TV. It seems you could buy a $100 DVD player with those features, and if it breaks, it's only $100. But everybody has their reasons. One advantage is you don't have to pay Tivo fees if you don't want recording, but Tivo is a whole other thing obviously.

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears
doctorisham wrote:Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set.

From CNET:

So Vizio is lying to us, eh? Sort of disappointing. I was ready to buy this, but I guess I'll wait on a true 120 Hz. 50 inches needs a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz.

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..