thomas998

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thomas998
mingsty wrote:Also in the description it's says "This LED HDTV is more energy efficient than conventional LCD HDTVs to save you even more money"
Rather misleading since it's an LCD.

Also in the specs it is listed as an LED.

I think you are a bit misinformed. LCD TVs come in two flavors, those lit by LEDs and those lit by CCFL. The CCFL is the old style lighting that took a bit of time to turn on, that cost more to operate and that could burn out over time. The only other LED TV that isn't a LCD is the hyper expensive OLED TVs that you aren't going to see on any discount site for years. I seriously doubt that if you are looking at a woot site that you are using an OLED TV... you probably have a LED TV that is also and LCD to boot.

Bottom line is a LCD lit by LEDs is more efficient than a LCD lit by CCFLs... consider thinking before you post to make sure you know what you are talking about.... in this instance you are simply wrong.

gldnegl65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gldnegl65
zenith012 wrote:(What CNET said - was that the backlighting (LED) of this TV - acts like an LCD backlighting TV).

Further info:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/the-difference-between-lcd-and-led-tvs/

An excerpt : "LED or LCD: It’s The Back Lighting
Technically speaking, an LED TV is also an LCD TV, as the screen on both is a liquid crystal display. An LCD display has two layers of glass that are polarized and joined together, the liquid crystals then pass or block the light to display the television picture.

The crystals do not produce any light as the light comes from a series of lamps at the back of the screen. On an LCD TV, the lamps at the back of the screen are fluorescent lamps, whilst on an LED TV the lights at the back of the screen are Light Emitting Diodes (LED)."

Thanks for the info!!

gldnegl65

medintern wrote:Here is a website explaining the diff.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

Thank you!!

gldnegl65

theresamx wrote:"Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set."

it doesn't mean anything. Apparently, it is such a slight difference, only television snobs can tell the difference. I recently purchased a 55" Vizio smart TV and love it.

As someone mentioned, the picture is great (but you have to tinker with the settings), the sound is just OK. but I'm going to hook it up to a surround sound system, so that is not a deal breaker for me. If the TV is too loud, the sound starts to 'break', and starts to squeal and vibrate. At normal volumes, it is fine (I like the sound kind of loud during a movie, for that movie theatre type experience). So as long as you don't want to crank up the volume for movies, or if you plan to connect it to an external speaker system, then the sound is not an issue.

Thanks for the explanation!

pixbywhix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pixbywhix
ThunderThighs wrote:Thank you for the EXCELLENT report of the the issue you are having. I've reported it on our end to see if we can't get it resolved.

Any update on this? I just bought the tv and now I'm on the page where it asks if I want to purchase the warranty. Is this refurbished TV going to be covered or not?

Thank you!

nocode

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nocode
titangears wrote:So Vizio is lying to us, eh? Sort of disappointing. I was ready to buy this, but I guess I'll wait on a true 120 Hz. 50 inches needs a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz.

While I'm not condoning Vizio's advertising, most viewers don't need anything beyond 60 Hz unless it's for live sports or 3D/gaming. Most television broadcasts are in 24Hz and if you were using 120Hz, you would get the "soap-opera" effect.

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears
theresamx wrote:"Be forewarned - this is a another 60hz set masquerading as a 120hz set."

it doesn't mean anything. Apparently, it is such a slight difference, only television snobs can tell the difference. I recently purchased a 55" Vizio smart TV and love it.

As someone mentioned, the picture is great (but you have to tinker with the settings), the sound is just OK. but I'm going to hook it up to a surround sound system, so that is not a deal breaker for me. If the TV is too loud, the sound starts to 'break', and starts to squeal and vibrate. At normal volumes, it is fine (I like the sound kind of loud during a movie, for that movie theatre type experience). So as long as you don't want to crank up the volume for movies, or if you plan to connect it to an external speaker system, then the sound is not an issue.

What is the slight difference? Is it actually 120 Hz or not?

Update: Consumer Reports has a review of this model. Here is their summary:

"CR's Take
This 50-inch 1080p LCD TV from Vizio performed similarly to its 47-inch sibling (the 47-inch E470i-A0), also in our Ratings, though it didn't share that set's wider-than-average viewing angle. Like that TV, this model has very good high-definition picture quality and a lot of features, but its claimed 120Hz technology was largely ineffective at reducing motion blur, no better than most standard 60Hz sets. This model has an LED backlight, built-in Wi-Fi, and the company's VIA smart TV platform, with an apps market and access to a lot of content, including streaming TV shows and movies from several services. Like other Vizio Internet sets, it has the M-GO entertainment installed, though at the time of our test it wasn't active."

"Highs
• Excellent HD image detail
• Near-matte-like screen reduces reflections
Lows
• Color accuracy falls short
• Color temperature is on the warm side
• Local dimming feature was not very effective
• Limited viewing angle
• Visible blurring on our motion tests "

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

titangears

quality posts: 9 Private Messages titangears

Also, I have not bought a refurbished TV from Woot before. Would you recommend a square trade warranty with the purchase, or is it an unnecessary expense?

Addicted to cycling and gadgets..

kevzhang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevzhang
titangears wrote:Also, I have not bought a refurbished TV from Woot before. Would you recommend a square trade warranty with the purchase, or is it an unnecessary expense?

Hiya! I just bought this TV WITHOUT the warranty because... correct me if I'm wrong... but this comes with a 90 day Woot Warranty where if any refurbished problems were immediately apparent I could get a refund or a brand new one from the manufacturer within those first 90 days. Seriously guys... correct me if i'm wrong! This is my first purchase on Woot and I really hope it pans out well! Cheers

Bogie21

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bogie21
kevzhang wrote:Hiya! I just bought this TV WITHOUT the warranty because... correct me if I'm wrong... but this comes with a 90 day Woot Warranty where if any refurbished problems were immediately apparent I could get a refund or a brand new one from the manufacturer within those first 90 days. Seriously guys... correct me if i'm wrong! This is my first purchase on Woot and I really hope it pans out well! Cheers

I believe it's more. If there were issues with the item purchased, woot will replace the item. If this isn't possible, they will refund you your purchase price.

I'm still trying to decide on the extended warranty myself.

Blooze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blooze

Arrrggghhhh Nooooo! I was in the process of buying it and it sold out while I was changing my credit card info!

Nooooooo!

willhug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willhug

So I originally pointed out a problem with the warranty on this item; u/ThunderThighs then posted a reassurance that the widget was malfunctioning, but that it would be fixed and the warranty would continue to be available on the item's website.

This comment has since been removed from the discussion. Why is this? Where is my warranty?

Bogie21

willhug wrote:So I originally pointed out a problem with the warranty on this item; u/ThunderThighs then posted a reassurance that the widget was malfunctioning, but that it would be fixed and the warranty would continue to be available on the item's website.

This comment has since been removed from the discussion. Why is this? Where is my warranty?

I saw your posts and have been waiting to try to buy the warranty with no follow-ups to resolution. So, I figured I'd try it out and it appears I am having the same issue: "We're sorry. There was an unexpected error processing your order. Would you please try again later or call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268)"

@ThunderThighs Any follow-up to this?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Bogie21 wrote:I saw your posts and have been waiting to try to buy the warranty with no follow-ups to resolution. So, I figured I'd try it out and it appears I am having the same issue: "We're sorry. There was an unexpected error processing your order. Would you please try again later or call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268)"

@ThunderThighs Any follow-up to this?

Yes, just got word that the problem is on SqTr's end and we are waiting for them to fix things. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for this so that's why the SqTr banner was removed.

If this changes your buying decision, email support@woot.com with your order number and woot user name. Make the subject line clear so they can find the email quickly.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

willhug

ThunderThighs wrote:Yes, just got word that the problem is on SqTr's end and we are waiting for them to fix things on their end. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for this so that's why the SqTr banner was removed.

If this changes your buying decision, email support@woot.com with your order number and woot user name. Make the subject line clear so they can find the email quickly.

As long as I will be able to, at some point, purchase a warranty for this television, then there is no problem.

Bogie21

ThunderThighs wrote:Yes, just got word that the problem is on SqTr's end and we are waiting for them to fix things on their end. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for this so that's why the SqTr banner was removed.

It doesn't really change my buying decision, but I'd really like to have the warranty

willhug

Bogie21 wrote:It doesn't really change my buying decision, but I'd really like to have the warranty

Haha. Two blowhards just tryin' to get a warranty in a dead thread on a soldout product. I feel ya Bogie!

ThunderThighs

Staff

willhug wrote:As long as I will be able to, at some point, purchase a warranty for this television, then there is no problem.

At this time, I'm unable to say that you will be able to purchase a protection plan for this TV on this sale.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Bogie21

willhug wrote:Haha. Two blowhards just tryin' to get a warranty in a dead thread on a soldout product. I feel ya Bogie!

Stay strong! If we band together, we might succeed!

**Edit** Woops, maybe not,I should have read TTs post before I posted.

I might have to cancel my order. It makes me nervous that a 3rd party warranty company isn't interested in warrantying these TVs.

Before I do so, is Woot interested/willing to warranty them longer than the 90 days because of the change?

ThunderThighs

Staff

Bogie21 wrote:Stay strong! If we band together, we might succeed!

I might have to cancel my order. It makes me nervous that a 3rd party warranty company isn't interested in warrantying these TVs.

Before I do so, is Woot interested/willing to warranty them longer than the 90 days because of the change?

It's not that we and/or SqTr aren't interested. SqTr needs to do some fixes on their end and those things take time. We just don't know how much yet. Woot isn't set up to offer extended protection plans.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Bogie21 wrote:Stay strong! If we band together, we might succeed!

I'm not certain if any warranty could/would be extended.

As TT posted earlier, we recommend that if this changes your buying decision, email support@woot.com with your order number and Woot user name. Make the subject line clear so they can find the email and respond in a timely manner.

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

I have purchased an extended warranty on a 60" 3D VIZIO set I purchased from Tiger Direct. At any time you can go directly to Square Trade and get a warranty. As a matter of fact, one Vizio I own has the B.J.'s extended warranty even though I did NOT purchase it from them.

Bogie21

ROGETRAY wrote:I'm not certain if any warranty could/would be extended.

As TT posted earlier, we recommend that if this changes your buying decision, email support@woot.com with your order number and Woot user name. Make the subject line clear so they can find the email and respond in a timely manner.

Can't blame a guy for trying. I went directly to Squaretrade and purchased a coverage plan. 4 year coverage for the same price that woot had listed a 1-year coverage plan for. Guess it's a good thing Woot had issues.

dcort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcort
Bogie21 wrote:Can't blame a guy for trying. I went directly to Squaretrade and purchased a coverage plan. 4 year coverage for the same price that woot had listed a 1-year coverage plan for. Guess it's a good thing Woot had issues.

I think the warranty SquareTrade offers on their site is for new items only. From their FAQ:

Can I get coverage for my refurbished or used item?

Answer:

SquareTrade offers Protection Plans directly for new items only. Some of our resellers offer Protection Plans on refurbished items, given that the item was also purchased through that reseller. Used items are only eligible when purchased on eBay.

dcort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcort

Mine arrived today (I'm on the east coast). Took it over to my Mom's to replace her CRT. Well packed, everything looks new, easy to set-up. In short, so far, so good.

digdouggler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digdouggler

Mine arrived Tuesday, set up quickly and working great so far, nice replacement for my 6 year old plasma that doubled as a space heater.

Here's some threads on this TV over at avsforum with some recommended custom picture settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455313/vizio-e500i-a1-calibration-question

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439861/vizio-e500i-a1

dragonkeeper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonkeeper

I should have purchased the 1 year protection plan for $75. Mine didn't last 2 months before the screen turned all green and crapped the bed. Piece of junk, I'll never buy refurb crap again on here.