WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple iPod touch Event

Hey, we're working with this small company today, they really keep a low profile, you might not have heard of them. They've got these players, you know, for music, but they don't really talk about them much. Kinda on the down-low, you know?

jimroth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimroth

So once you add the one year warranty and shipping, it's up to around $275. Apple sells the un-refurb 32GB touch for $299. By Grapthor's Hammer! The savings!

ninjajim

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ninjajim

Walmart has them for $229 w/$4.00 shipping, plus you can purchase a 3 year warranty for $36 from the Walmarts. Total amounts to roughly $269. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPod-Touch-5th-Generation-32GB-Assorted-Colors-Refurbished/22288784

bigshtank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigshtank

Still overpriced. Why buy an ipod when my phone holds 96gb? ipods are already outdated.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

You're not seeing things. That price fell while you were away at lunch. How does it do that??!?!

You know the drill. If you already bought one, money will come zipping back to your pocket soon.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy
jimroth wrote:So once you add the one year warranty and shipping, it's up to around $275. Apple sells the un-refurb 32GB touch for $299. By Grapthor's Hammer! The savings!

I understood that reference!

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

Ah, yes...The Mini iPad Mini!

tweekerz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweekerz

I guess if you keep it around the house, or near a wifi/mifi connection, it functions like an iPhone, sans cellular function. You can access your purchased apps, use it as a Slingbox when at a hotel, mobile presentation device, it can be your Tivo DVR remote control on your home wifi network, etc, etc.

I don't own an iPhone, but this may make sense, if it was closer to $199, vs $220

bigshtank wrote:Still overpriced. Why buy an ipod when my phone holds 96gb? ipods are already outdated.

nenzon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nenzon
bigshtank wrote:Still overpriced. Why buy an ipod when my phone holds 96gb? ipods are already outdated.

I still enjoy having my music separate from my phone. Granted I only have a 64 gig, I feel like instead of wasting one battery I can waste two. Also not having to run to a charger or worry about charging my phone more than once per day is preferable. And a galaxy note 2 isn't the greatest to have as a music player. I might as well be carrying a boombox on my shoulder while working.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

Yeah, I'm one of the people who uses iTunes, iPod, and iPhone. It's a pretty well integrated system if you want your music always updated on all your devices. And I always hated Mac computers. Still do, Windows all the way, even the vile Windows 8. My issue with Apple is how proprietary they try to make everything. You can't even add a memory card to these things, which is completely ridiculous. So I have an iPhone with a whopping 32GB of memory. I'm so happy. I don't see any reason to buy another Apple device with the same design flaws, even if they are the best music players.

mrbarister

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mrbarister

You said it. Proprietary. You have to get your music through iTunes, there's no room for memory expansion, and you need to buy their charger when every other company will let you use the same micro usb charger your non-apple phone uses. It's the same principle as a gift card vs cash in the same amount. With a gift card, you can only spend it at one place, but cash is good everywhere. Why do people pay more, and accept these restrictions when there are excellent alternatives at more reasonable prices.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages corvettejoe
mrbarister wrote:You said it. Proprietary. You have to get your music through iTunes, there's no room for memory expansion, and you need to buy their charger when every other company will let you use the same micro usb charger your non-apple phone uses. It's the same principle as a gift card vs cash in the same amount. With a gift card, you can only spend it at one place, but cash is good everywhere. Why do people pay more, and accept these restrictions when there are excellent alternatives at more reasonable prices.

I just switched to an iPhone after many long years of android and being a big time iphone hater.

1 - you can get your music anywhere, and you don't even have to let itunes manage it. I have a LARGE music library, I only put the stuff in itunes that I want on my phone to sync, and I selected all options to leave my music untouched. My music has come from just about everywhere over the years and still does. The only things I've bought off iTunes were a few must-have apps. But media, I still get hard copies or get from amazon/walmart/googleplay/etc.

2 - Chargers (I am ONLY speaking of the LIGHTNING connector!!). You will want to stick with the apple ones. From everything I read, the non-apple ones just don't work that great, are ill-fitted, and have all kinds of other issues and I saw many horror stories of them damaging the devices. and (when we got ours back in Dec/Jan) all the ones that were out were only $4-5 less than the apple brand one by the time you added shipping. Where's the savings on buying 3rd party? I do miss the $3 bulk micro USB cables, but if you compare the $20 apple cables, and then the $10-15 knock offs with shipping or whatever... you aren't saving anything.

3 - as for the gift card mentality... I have seen nothing that I can't get on my iPhone. I liked it so much, I sold my 10" android tablet and bought an iPad mini. That said, I was able to get all my books, comics, most of the apps I had on android, etc all on the ipad mini. Sure you have to use itunes to sync it all, but then again, you have to use the google play or amazon app store to buy anything for your android device too.

Sure it's not for everyone, but I was tired of android and (crappy) sprint had no WIndows phones available...so apple it was! If you like to hack and tinker, stick with android. But after years of that, I was kind of over it and didnt care anymore, so I went with the polish of an iPhone on my last re-up.

I still don't like apple (as a company) or their computers, and hate that everything is so expensive for their i-devices, but both my wife and I (she doesnt like apple either) are completely content with our iphones and have no desire to go back to an android device now.

If I didn't already have a big memory iphone and ipad mini, I would totally snap one of these ipod touches up simple as a guitar pedal and mixer for my garage band stuff (they are AWESOME music devices).

I feel I have the right to hate on both and praise on both since I have and currently still own both types of devices (iOS and Android). I even still recommend android to certain customers of mine, but also recommend apple to others. It just depends on the person's needs.

Don't bash products until you've fully immersed yourself into it to at least TRY it over some other product. I used to say the SAME things you did, word for word almost... until I tried it. Now I love it.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
mrbarister wrote:You said it. Proprietary. You have to get your music through iTunes,

Corvettejoe already addressed this, but I feel like I should echo/repeat it. The above-quoted statement is not only completely false, it has NEVER been true, in all the years that iPods have existed. I have NO IDEA why this falsity springs eternal.

iTunes (the application that runs on your computer) is the software Apple supplies to manage music and sync it with your Apple device.

The iTunes Store is an online music retailer. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PURCHASE MUSIC FROM THE ITUNES STORE. You can rip CDs you already own, or purchase music from Amazon, or purchase music from artists' web sites. Though I don't endorse this, you can copy your friend's entire mp3 collection. Whatever. iPods play almost all standard music formats, including mp3, mp4 (also known as AAC), WAV, AIFF, etc. There's nothing proprietary about them.

there's no room for memory expansion,

Correct -- there is no memory card slot. If that's important to you, buy a player with an expansion slot. The players being sold in this Woot offer have 32 GB built in, which isn't bad.

and you need to buy their charger when every other company will let you use the same micro usb charger your non-apple phone uses.

This is not true. The iPod can charge using USB standard current -- 5 VDC, 500 mA. You can use any USB charger you like.

What is proprietary is the cable that connects from the charging block to the iPod, called the lightning cable. This is included with the iPod, so no -- you don't have to "buy their charger." Use any charger with a standard USB output, or plug it into your computer. It'll charge.

If you want extra lightning cables, you can pay Apple's ridiculous price for one, or you can take a chance on the third-party market. I recently bought five VERY cheap lightning cables in various lengths from three different sellers on eBay. Four of the five work fine. One was a dud and I tossed it. The total cost was less than the cost of one of Apple's.

That said, the little Apple cubelet-style wall wart charger is one of the best USB-standard chargers available. See this article for more information, if you're interested.

All that said, Apple should include one of these wall wart charging blocks with the iPod Touch, and they don't. So if you want one I would seek it out on the used market. Just be careful that you're actually getting an Apple charger and not a cheap knock-off. They can sometimes be found in used, good condition for around $5 or $6.

HTH.

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
ninjajim wrote:Walmart has them for $229 w/$4.00 shipping, plus you can purchase a 3 year warranty for $36 from the Walmarts. Total amounts to roughly $269. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPod-Touch-5th-Generation-32GB-Assorted-Colors-Refurbished/22288784

Walmart is a really great place to get your iPod Touch and ordering off their site gives you the option for that cheap 3 year warranty.

UNFORTUNATELY this Woot iPod Touch only comes with a Woot 90 day warranty which I would assume means that it is NOT an official Apple Refurb and would NOT qualify for additional AppleCare warranty (or any other additional warranty)! Cant tell who did the refurb and what was replaced...

When purchasing an official Apple Refurb you get a new battery and outer shell as well as unopened earbuds.

btw, there are many places to buy discount AppleCare! Just be sure you are buying the correct item from a reputable shop!

Hope this all helps.

mattargyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattargyle

Walmart has a special now for a new gen 5 touch for $229 with a $28, 3 year warranty. I just bought one- it was $277 and change with tax (with the warranty), and I'm picking it up in-store tomorrow. Sorry woot.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iPod-touch-16GB-black-silver/25174174

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mattargyle wrote:Walmart has a special now for a new gen 5 touch for $229 with a $28, 3 year warranty. I just bought one- it was $277 and change with tax (with the warranty), and I'm picking it up in-store tomorrow. Sorry woot.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iPod-touch-16GB-black-silver/25174174

The link you shared is for the 16GB model. The one we're offering is 32GB.

renais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renais
jimroth wrote:So once you add the one year warranty and shipping, it's up to around $275. Apple sells the un-refurb 32GB touch for $299. By Grapthor's Hammer! The savings!

By the sons of Worvan, that movie was fun! Thanks for the reminder.

nikademus1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikademus1969
mrbarister wrote:You said it. Proprietary. You have to get your music through iTunes, there's no room for memory expansion, and you need to buy their charger when every other company will let you use the same micro usb charger your non-apple phone uses. It's the same principle as a gift card vs cash in the same amount. With a gift card, you can only spend it at one place, but cash is good everywhere. Why do people pay more, and accept these restrictions when there are excellent alternatives at more reasonable prices.

Actually, you can get your mp3's from other places, you just need to use iTunes to put them on your iPod/iPhone.

capjones1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capjones1

Is the non-matching colour earbuds be an indicator that this is a non-Apple refurb?

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Being that these were initially sold less than 1 year ago and the refurbishment is not by Apple, will Apple recognize them as still under warranty and eligible for AppleCare?

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

My comment was the one that originally used the word "proprietary", which has been quoted four times in following comments. I should get some kind of prize for that. How about a Woot gift card? Some Calvin Klein underwear? Anything.

ryex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryex
Bezalel wrote:Being that these were initially sold less than 1 year ago and the refurbishment is not by Apple, will Apple recognize them as still under warranty and eligible for AppleCare?

If the warranty is something you are worried about, get a squaretrade warranty. When I bought my first Ipod touch (1gen) many moons ago, I got the 2 year warranty. I tried jail breaking it, and it broke. Apple told me to eff off, where as squaretrade gave me a check to buy a new one, once I sent mine in. so...

RobAtSGH

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RobAtSGH

Hello, good evening, and remain indoors. Please do not touch The Event, do not discuss The Event, and honestly it's best if you don't even think about The Event. Stay calm, and do not touch the walls.

Stryffe2004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stryffe2004

My kids love their iPods. These would be a rather large upgrade from their 8 gb 4th generation iPods. These would make solid Christmas presents.

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

My iPod Touch holds about 150 apps and enough music and books on tape to drive across the country and back without running out of things to listen to.

My iPod Touch also doesn't cost me anything per month.

The phone may be a better option for people who need internet access "in the field" on a regular basis.

But I, for one, can't see myself ever ponying up an extra couple hundred bucks a year just to be able to access the internet while outside of wifi range.

fjp999

Bezalel wrote:Being that these were initially sold less than 1 year ago and the refurbishment is not by Apple, will Apple recognize them as still under warranty and eligible for AppleCare?

No.

These are NOT official Apple refurbs and are only covered by Woot for 90 days.

You could read what I wrote the other day.

fjp999

ryex wrote:If the warranty is something you are worried about, get a squaretrade warranty. When I bought my first Ipod touch (1gen) many moons ago, I got the 2 year warranty. I tried jail breaking it, and it broke. Apple told me to eff off, where as squaretrade gave me a check to buy a new one, once I sent mine in. so...

I agree that Squaretrade is a great option but usually will not touch refurbs.

Unless they are listed by Woot as an option with a button for a link then all is good. In this case there is NO link so I do not think Squaretrade will cover these iPods with any of their warranties.

rmacey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmacey

Do these have GPS if you are out of wifi range? I want to use the runkeeper app to map my workouts?

HannsG 19" 8ms LCD Monitor * Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Moon Phase Watch * InFocus IN72 Home Entertainment DLP Projector * BellSouth 2 Way Wristwatch Communicator * Magellan eXplorist 300 Handheld GPS Navigator * SanDisk 256 MB MP3/WMA Player with FM Tuner and Voice Recorder * Cobra 6 Mile FRS/GMRS Radio with NOAA Weather

mmjust

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmjust

Bought one! Super happy! Saved $50 over other retailers and item may have been repacked but was in NEW condition. Thanks!!!! Woot did it again!!!

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

I was thinking about getting one of these to replace my getting long in the tooth 1st gen iPod touch, but then I remembered that these are NOT Apple refurbs.

I don't know who Woot buys their Apple refurbs from. I do know that the quality is extremely variable. When you buy a refurbished Apple product from the Apple store it comes with all accessories, in original packaging, and is free from functional and cosmetic defects. In other words, there is no way to distinguish if from a new product.

These refurbs may come like that. They may not. They are supposed to have the original accessories, but they may (or may not) be in original packaging. Lastly (and this is very important) they are NOT warranted against cosmetic defects. The back may be marred or scratched all to hell. This is not considered a reason to return. If it works, but there are huge scratches in the back Woot isn't going to take it back. The iPod touch referenced above (when these are a new thing at Woot) had a couple of very faint marks: it went in a case and I didn't care. Other than that it was like new. Many other Wooters, however, had a much different experience. So, caveat emptor here. I may still buy one, but I'm really going to have to think about it. Hard

Netami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Netami

Just got mine in today and it's bricked. So sad... Even the cable it came with was faulty, not sure about the headphones but those are usually the weak point with these refurb items so I'll just safely tuck it back in the box and wait for an RMA.