WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you think humans are generally predisposed for happiness?
  • 27.2% - Yes, it's just the crappy world that makes us blue 470
  • 12.3% - No, we're hard-wired for misery 212
  • 57.9% - Different folks, different strokes 1001
  • 2.7% - This is a serious question and demands a serious answer in the comments 47
1730 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

spacemart

quality posts: 15 Private Messages spacemart

too many humans forget that there's only one person that can make you happy, and that is yourself

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

spacemart wrote:too many humans forget that there's only one person that can make you happy, and that is yourself

(no sarcasm, I'm clapping for realz)

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
spacemart wrote:too many humans forget that there's only one person that can make you happy, and that is yourself

I don't know, man. I think if I could come home to Kate Beckinsale every day, I'd be pretty happy.

Boredmaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Boredmaster

People's personalities are up to them, but you're greatly influenced by your surroundings. Seriously, if you play Call of Duty all day, and all you hear is a bunch of miserable, hateful trolls calling each other "motherfather campers!" and other salty stuff, it's only so long until you start to act like them. If you want to be happy, surround yourself with happy people and do positive things, like volunteer, take control of your life (healthy eating, exercise, sun, etc). It's all easy, except people forget how easy it is, or don't see the forest for the trees until they're smack-dab in the middle. I hate to sound preachy, but I've cut ties with a few longtime friends over this. One because a stoner, the other a racist, and they quickly turned from good people to hateful, miserable trolls that would be bad for anyone to be around.

lauriellen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lauriellen

Humans are hedonistic. We want to enjoy stuff. It doesn't mean we will; it just means we want to.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Good morning to All...

snosbig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages snosbig

predisposed ?....Nahhh...we all just wanna get laid

bpfordte

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpfordte

We were created to exist in complete happiness - it is our own free will that brought about sin and unhappiness. Looking for happiness within ourselves is not the answer - that's called selfishness. Look for joy - true joy - in things that are greater than ourselves.

Personally, I find joy in my Savior and in doing His will - looking for ways to help others.

deedee75oh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedee75oh
bpfordte wrote:We were created to exist in complete happiness - it is our own free will that brought about sin and unhappiness. Looking for happiness within ourselves is not the answer - that's called selfishness. Look for joy - true joy - in things that are greater than ourselves.

Personally, I find joy in my Savior and in doing His will - looking for ways to help others.

Preach...

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

There's a concept called the "hedonic treadmill", which essentially states that people tend to have a baseline level of happiness, a sort of default that they return to relatively quickly after most life changes. In other words while a major life event (starting a new career, losing a close friend, buying a new house) may affect happiness initially, the mind quickly adjusts to it and settles back down to its previous happiness level.

I'm not sure I'm absolutely convinced of it myself. I've had close friends go through negative life events (having kids and getting divorced are probably the big two) that they never seem to re-adjust from or be able to stop complaining about afterwards. That isn't to say that having a baby or losing a spouse is a total one-way-ticket to permanent misery until you die, but I've definitely observed that people aren't necessarily the same after, even years after.

Still, it makes an interesting thinking point, and I like ideas that challenge conventional wisdom and make people reconsider widely-held beliefs.

drumgirl77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drumgirl77
bpfordte wrote:We were created to exist in complete happiness - it is our own free will that brought about sin and unhappiness. Looking for happiness within ourselves is not the answer - that's called selfishness. Look for joy - true joy - in things that are greater than ourselves.

Woo hoo!! "Like" & agree

udavidj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages udavidj

Our most basic instincts are fight or flight, which means we are predisposed to aggression, fear and survival. Happiness has nothing to do with it.

Love,
UdavidJ

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

Sometimes its just THEIR own happiness and forget everybody else.

MADJEDDAI

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MADJEDDAI

I think one could argue that the concept of happiness is an entirely subjective idea from person to person. And not only do we need to find happiness for ourselves, but in fact each of us defines it for ourselves as well. Perhaps the more unhappy people are those who have a stricter, more unattainable definition of happiness?

brownings5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brownings5

Perhaps we're predisposed to seek happiness. Even small children seem to seek out the things that they think will make them happy. Yet, it takes wisdom to recognize and adjust our desires to the things that bring about true happiness. I've found that over time, it's a movement from looking outside myself to looking inside myself for happiness, contentment, peace, or whatever you want to call it.

McGuffy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages McGuffy

I wish I could find happiness in a fairy tale about the only blue-eyed white hippie dude that lived in the middle east 2000 years ago.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
McGuffy wrote:I wish I could find happiness in a fairy tale about the only blue-eyed white hippie dude that lived in the middle east 2000 years ago.

You mean Till Eulenspiegel?

/word disassociation

erasure101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages erasure101

I recall reading a study from Edinburgh University that a large factor (i believe it was up to 50%) of why we are happy is genetic predisposition. Some people are just genetically born to be happier than others.