quality posts: 2743 Private Messages lichme

Item: Onkyo 7.2 Receiver w/ Bluetooth & Wi-Fi
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2743 Private Messages lichme

Anybody know how well the upscaling works?

miamiman5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miamiman5

If they sent two spare hdmi boards with it, maybe, just maybe, I'd buy.

neploxo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neploxo
miamiman5 wrote:If they sent two spare hdmi boards with it, maybe, just maybe, I'd buy.

Agreed completely. After my experience with their failing HDMI boards and refusal to honor their warranty or provide ANY kind of customer support, I will never purchase another Onkyo product. Too bad, because the sound was amazing.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

I do like Onkyo, but in this price range I think my favorite is still the 616 for a little less money:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V88W2
While the 616 is last year's model, it is THX Select2 Plus certified and has Audyssey DSX with 2EQ calibration (and includes calibration mic).
I really can't think of any reason off hand to choose this Woot! over the above but I'm not all that familiar with the RC models so might have missed something.

Edit: Ah, I see the 616 doesn't have Bluetooth/Wi-Fi without an add-on adapter. I don't use either (it's connected to wired Ethernet) so hadn't paid attention. So if you really want those two things this Woot! might work out a bit cheaper than the 616 plus adapter(s). To me, the 616 still seems like a better receiver overall though.

rbilsbor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rbilsbor

Was planning on buying this but of course woot throws a timely wrench in the gears.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN840-Channel-1050-Watt-Receiver/dp/B00CAAQHBE/

Still, the Sony has AirPlay and AirPlay > Bluetooth... Going to use it as a living room music source w/ ipad in addition to home theater. Thoughts on how Onkyo Remote App works compared to native AirPlay?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Bluetooth sucks rocks, unless you enjoy listening to music on AM radio.

campbeln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages campbeln

Agree with the HDMI board issues! I will stay very far away from Onkyo from now on as while the sound is awesome, I'd like an A *AND* V receiver, thank you very much.

As to up-scaling... I bought an 875 some years back (still limping along with it) specifically because it has/had a high-end up-scaling chip (HQV Reon-VX). I did all my research, I was dealing with PAL and NTCS video (hence the primary concern) and after all of that, I have NEVER USED IT! (And having the damned thing enabled fries your HDMI card much quicker)

I use an XBMC, and all the SD content is natively up-scaled on it. It's being decoded from compressed formats, so why on earth would I pipe it out over an HDMI connection in 480p or 540p just to have another processor upscale it?

So... in my experience... up-scaling is a crutch tech, and if you're running stuff off a VCR, might be useful. Else get a BluRay player with a good up-scaler for those DVDs and be done with it.

EDIT - Also, my Logitech has never played nice with my 875's audio levels... most aggravating thing ever to have to fight to get the volume to change. I would hope Onkyo has fixed this, but who knows...

JerryC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JerryC

Anyone know if I can pair my Viseo Bluetooth headphones with this receiver?

Jerry K Cohl

deadly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deadly

Why cant i find this product on amazon or onkyo website.

Is this product backordered or something??

[MOD: This is a Woot Exclusive]

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
kmartind wrote:I do like Onkyo, but in this price range I think my favorite is still the 616 for a little less money:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V88W2
While the 616 is last year's model, it is THX Select2 Plus certified and has Audyssey DSX with 2EQ calibration (and includes calibration mic).
I really can't think of any reason off hand to choose this Woot! over the above but I'm not all that familiar with the RC models so might have missed something.

Edit: Ah, I see the 616 doesn't have Bluetooth/Wi-Fi without an add-on adapter. I don't use either (it's connected to wired Ethernet) so hadn't paid attention. So if you really want those two things this Woot! might work out a bit cheaper than the 616 plus adapter(s). To me, the 616 still seems like a better receiver overall though.

This one has MultEQ, which is better than 2eq.

blampley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blampley

I don't have this exact model but one from a couple years back and Onkyo is one of the few receivers that has multi zone with an amp. Add this to the android app and you have the perfect soultion to music on the deck. I use the app exclusively to control the receiver. As far as hdmi issues I have not seen a failure but every few months I do have to cycle power to get the video back.

crimsonkeel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crimsonkeel
deadly wrote:Why cant i find this product on amazon or onkyo website.

Is this product backordered or something??

because its part of a HOmetheatre kit. http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S5100&class=Systems&source=prodClass the whole set up is listed at 600 dollars
so basically Woot is trying to sell a msrp 600 dollar receiver minus all the speakers and claiming its giving us a good deal.

[MOD: This is a Woot Exclusive. See my post below for the differences.]

rayjen02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rayjen02

I had the 7.1 version of this. Started having problems with the sound not working every once in a while. I thought support was great, as they couldn't figure out the problem over a 1 hour call, so they'd "call me back as soon as they set up a system in the lab." They did and had a solution for me! Happened again the next day, tried the solution again, presto! 6 months later, nothing worked, and I'm out of warranty. Lots of people had the same problem, and it seems to have stemmed from substandard microchips on the HDMI card. 2 years old, and dead. Now I'm using my 1986 Pioneer receiver from my other TV. I have been told by sound gurus to avoid new ONKYO receivers, and get Pioneer, Yamaha, or very high end Sony for the money.

superspec

quality posts: 3 Private Messages superspec

I was going to get an onkyo for my first receiver. i looked and looked trying to compare specs for a long time to make sure i wasnt paying for useless tech (in my book) and read so many reviews that i had to keep notes. onkyo sucks when it comes to reliability from everything i read. i ended up going with a yamaha, the only thing i regret is not getting one with more power.

TAGyurit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TAGyurit
neploxo wrote:Agreed completely. After my experience with their failing HDMI boards and refusal to honor their warranty or provide ANY kind of customer support, I will never purchase another Onkyo product. Too bad, because the sound was amazing.

Agreed here, too! I'm on my 4th HDMI Board with my TX-NR807. Blows for no reason... I've given up on having it fixed, and have now resorted to an external $13 4-port HDMI Switch. WOOT should have a sale on spare boards; they'd make a ton of money! I'll have to have some proof from Onkyo that they have fixed the problem before I'd buy another one of their Receivers.

apurohit

quality posts: 2 Private Messages apurohit
narquespamley wrote:Bluetooth sucks rocks, unless you enjoy listening to music on AM radio.

Hardly. I use BT on my Galaxy s3 all the time, and the quality is excellent. Heck, my friend has a BT motorcycle Helmet setup that works wonderfully too.

The problem most people face is a crappy source chip on their device. Some devices do a poor job, or have older spec chips. My guess is, your device may not support the current standard, which would explain the poor sound you're getting.

madcowjay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madcowjay

This seems to match the TX-NR626 almost exactly. A good deal then...

CANNONFODDER0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CANNONFODDER0
bigfuzzyarchon wrote:This model comes in the Onkyo HT-S5100 package.

http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B0016KAU3U

Actually, the photo on the Onkyo site shows an HT-R560 which is significantly different.

The HT series can be seen as the value versions of the TX line with certain features left out. The most likely potential "re-badge" candidate is the TX-NR626

v/r,
C-F

edit: sorry for the repeat, I am a slow typist.

mysterytrout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mysterytrout

Agree, agree, agree. I bought a mid-grade Onkyo a couple years ago and had the same experience as thousands of others have had (go to Amazon and read the reviews). The HDMI board blows, you send it off under warranty, it comes back 8 weeks later then blows again in another few months out of warranty. There are even YouTube videos out there detailing how to upgrade the HDMI boards with about $15 worth of components, a solder gun and a steady hand. I will never again buy an Onkyo product. I bought a Denon as a replacement and have never looked back. I also have a 5.1 Pioneer from the 90's that still rocking the bonus room.
Love Woot, hate Onkyo.

TAGyurit wrote:Agreed here, too! I'm on my 4th HDMI Board with my TX-NR807. Blows for no reason... I've given up on having it fixed, and have now resorted to an external $13 4-port HDMI Switch. WOOT should have a sale on spare boards; they'd make a ton of money! I'll have to have some proof from Onkyo that they have fixed the problem before I'd buy another one of their Receivers.

Sardinicus

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Sardinicus
rbilsbor wrote:Was planning on buying this but of course woot throws a timely wrench in the gears.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DN840-Channel-1050-Watt-Receiver/dp/B00CAAQHBE/

Still, the Sony has AirPlay and AirPlay > Bluetooth... Going to use it as a living room music source w/ ipad in addition to home theater. Thoughts on how Onkyo Remote App works compared to native AirPlay?

Not to make your decision harder, but, Airplay aside, this is a much better receiver and a much better deal than the Sony.

The giveaway is the power specs; Sony's limitation of provided specs to a 1KHz sine wave at 0.9% distortion implies poor-quality integrated amplification, while the Onkyo has discrete amplifiers and solid specifications to back up its power claims.

The other killer feature here that the Sony lacks is the Audessey room equalization which optimizes the sound for your room and speakers.

With built-in WiFi you should be able to stream music from any device on your network at greater quality than either Bluetooth or Airplay. I am not 100% sure how to set this up with an iPad but I'm sure someone else can help out there.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1

Never ever never ever never ever again....will I buy an Onkyo. They ship receivers with known issues. Have terrible support and they all run hot as an oven. They could double as a radiant heater in the winter. I dumped mine after 3 years of frustration and got a Yamaha 673. I love it. It just works all the time. I had a 705 Onkyo - one of the mid range receivers. It had heat issues, know issues with Dolby popping. Tech support was no luck and after looking in the forums I was not alone....run away fast from this...

dmb2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmb2002
neploxo wrote:Agreed completely. After my experience with their failing HDMI boards and refusal to honor their warranty or provide ANY kind of customer support, I will never purchase another Onkyo product. Too bad, because the sound was amazing.

I also had an issue with the HDMI board on an Onkyo receiver, which I truly loved before the issues. I loved with these issues for some time before it came to point where it needed to be fixed or just replace receiver. I found this how-to video and it worked great!! I'm not sure if the mods will remove the link, but if you search for "how to fix Onkyo HDMI board" you will find it easily. It's just shy of 15 minutes long, but explains what you need to fix the board and how to do it. It cost me about $5 to fix it I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U

This is my review from the video: Thank you! This video just me the trouble of buying a new receiver prematurely. I was having issues with getting video and audio from a couple of my HDMI ports. I bought the capacitors from radio shack (272-1028) for $1.39 a piece. Removed the old ones and attached the new ones. Rehooked up all the components and speakers. It now works like new. I am able to turn the receiver on and choose which HDMI source I want and it works! Thank you.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith

Thank you to all who chimed in with the known issues on this receiver. I have a circa 1993 Kenwood receiver that I would like to replace (it works fine, but no HDMI, ethernet or bluetooth obviously.) He he, one of the selections even says 'LASERDISK'!

I'm sure eventually something will come up on Woot that I can use, but given the feedback on this, it wont be an Onkyo.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
narquespamley wrote:Bluetooth sucks rocks, unless you enjoy listening to music on AM radio.

apurohit wrote:Hardly. I use BT on my Galaxy s3 all the time, and the quality is excellent. Heck, my friend has a BT motorcycle Helmet setup that works wonderfully too.

The problem most people face is a crappy source chip on their device. Some devices do a poor job, or have older spec chips. My guess is, your device may not support the current standard, which would explain the poor sound you're getting.

@apurohit, sorry, respectfully no.

Bluetooth does suck if you care about sound quality. And if the source & speakers/headset are clean and high sample rate, Bluetooth sucks even more.

Easy to prove - listen to clean high quality music on a clean high quality source via a wired high quality headset or speakers. Then listen to the same source via Bluetooth with the highest quality headset or speakers you can find. No contest.

The Bluetooth spec simply does not have enough bandwidth to handle high quality sound.

Bluetooth is a convenience spec that makes folks conditioned to listening to highly compressed MP3 music content.

ggoble

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ggoble

Bought this a few months ago with the surround sound speakers. The only HDMI OUT broke making this a very expensive radio

BBruin66

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BBruin66
madcowjay wrote:This is not true - the features don't match up nor does it look the same (inputs on the front for example).

I agree. The inputs in the rear are in all different places too. The power ratings are differen, the features are different...

Snooping around google it appears this is a 2013 model receiver that somehow woot got first?

Someone please provide some proof or documentation this matches the 5100 set?

If this is a 2013 Onkyo, I doubt it has HDMI problems especially since it has 2 HDMI out which more than likely is a totally different/newer chip than the ones with problems.

clintre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clintre

My problem is not just with how bad the quality of Onkyo has been of late, it is just how poor they have handled it from a customer service angle.

Occasionally a bad batch or even bad product is going to get out. However how they treated people with the problems was bothered me way more. My dad had one and was with out a working system for 3 months.

They lost me as a customer.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

WOOT EXCLUSIVE!!!

Hey all you review hunters! This is a woot exclusive built just for us.

Many of you are comparing it to the HT-R560 that comes in the HT-S5100 Home Theater System. Not so.

Ours is the HT-RC560. Close in model number but different in looks and features. Ours is 7.2 channel and comes with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, plus more HDMI ports.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

teddyg332

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teddyg332
lichme wrote:Anybody know how well the upscaling works?

I upscaled to my 4k tv- just OK. May work better for lower resolutions. My guess is that it is a fairly useless feature.

mammlouk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mammlouk
ThunderThighs wrote:
WOOT EXCLUSIVE!!!

Hey all you review hunters! This is a woot exclusive built just for us.

Many of you are comparing it to the HT-R560 that comes in the HT-S5100 Home Theater System. Not so.

Ours is the HT-RC560. Close in model number but different in looks and features. Ours is 7.2 channel and comes with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, plus more HDMI ports.

Very interesting. Any information on how the issue with the HDMI boards in previous models has been addressed?

teddyg332

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teddyg332

I have the larger Onkyo receiver but it very similar. It is really nice for streaming pandora and controlling from android or iphone. I can change volume from any room in the house. The Onkyo Remote app has been updated a few times which is encouraging.

The remote stinks in that it is hard to see in the dark. Too busy too. Overall I would highly recommend this receiver.

knockem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knockem

So the question I have is should I buy it. I currently do not have a receiver system and I am looking to get one. My main goal is to be able to connect a projector up to it so I can watch a large screen version of a show or play a game on the Xbox 360. The projector does not have any speakers to it so I would want to go from my Xbox to the receiver with HDMI then the video needs to go out via HDMI to the projector. The sound would then come from the receiver. I am assuming this described setup will work with this? I would also take any suggestions on speakers I can get for this unit as well.

jklong59

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jklong59

I had an onkyo receiver that broke under warranty. It sounded great until it broke. The problem was it took over 4 months to get any results, but they did send me a newer better model than I had before. The new one is now over a year old and I have had no problems and works great. It is an NR807 and I love it, as long as it does not break.

lamcjunk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lamcjunk

When I saw the photo, I thought "they are still selling the Onkyo receiver that I have?"....I bought mine in the late '80s and it looks just like this (and still works). Then I read the desc (Bluetooth, wifi...). too funny.

SkwerlKC

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SkwerlKC

If you are planning to buy this for the second zone feature, be warned that only crappy RCA pin analog sources will be sent out through the second zone. Bummer!

leefur

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leefur

Thanks to all who pointed out the HDMI board issues. I was all gung-ho about this until I read those. Yall changed my purchase decision.

hermankarabulut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hermankarabulut

I have the RC360 and upscaling works very good.
This looks like a good deal with wireless connectivity.

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182
lichme wrote:Anybody know how well the upscaling works?

I have the non-Woot exclusive version of this, pretty much the same but without built-in WiFi and one less HDMI. The upscaling works pretty well, but I can still tell it's not native 1080p, but some improvement is there.. It's good for up to 4K TVs...which leads me to..

teddyg332 wrote:I upscaled to my 4k tv- just OK. May work better for lower resolutions. My guess is that it is a fairly useless feature.

Can I ask what set you have, and what you paid for it, and how you like it? Any 4K discs yet, or just future proofing? I need a new set, currently running an older CCFL lit, and want to make the jump to 4K early next year.

...i remain, he who remains to be...