onkyousa

quality posts: 30 Private Messages onkyousa
kmartind wrote:"Did not want to help" is very vague and uninformative. Was it still under warranty? If so, they should provide you with information on where to take it or send it for repair. If not, it would be great if they went the extra mile and helped people out by fixing it anyway, but they're really under no obligation whatsoever to do that. That's what keeps extended warranty outfits like Squaretrade in business after all.

That having been said, if I were Onkyo I would set up a large centralized repair facility optimized for quick turn-around, much like most PC manufacturers have. As it stands, a lot of Onkyo warranty repairs are done at small local/independent stereo repair shops that don't have the manpower to churn out a lot of repairs quickly. I think that ends up reflecting poorly on Onkyo even though they don't really have direct control over those shops.

That's fairly common in the appliance business (similar to Hoover using local repair shops to fix busted vacuums), but as AV receivers have become more complex, and stereo repair shops have become less and less common, it seems like things need to change at this point.

Overall I've been really satisfied with their product features, sound quality, prices, and even product quality/reliability in my own experience over the past ~12+ years, but of course I'm very careful with electronics, and your mileage may vary.

Hello kmartind;

This is Onkyo USA and we would like to provide some accurate information in regards to your posting. We do have 4 regional service centers located in continental U.S. and also 3 regional service centers in Canada as well. You can review this information from our website for our regional and local service centers: please input your zip code/ postal code into the DEALER/ SERVICE CENTER webpage (http://www.onkyousa.com/locator.cfm?Source=hdrmenu) under the SERVICE CENTER LOCATOR field.

We usually recommend our regional service centers for servicing; as they have more personnel and accessibility to service our products. We also would like to provide our 24 hour Product Support contact number for accurate and concise information for our customers (800-229-1687). We will actively provide the best customer service and credible information for our customers on this customer forum.

onkyousa

narquespamley wrote:For the record, virtually all the notifications on the press releases page are firmware updates. There is one issue involving a selective recall, and it is not related to the HDMI card.

Question stands.

Hello narquespamley;

As there are NO recalls on any Onkyo products, and there is KNOWN ISSUES published on the PRESS RELEASE- we employ you to please contact our Product Support or Parts & Services contact numbers to further assist you at (800) 229-1687 promptly. The Onkyo USA Parts & Services department are available Mon- Friday 9am- 5pm EST. Thank you again for your post and hope this response sufiices and prompts you to contact our department.

onkyousa

AfroGT wrote:No AV Receiver will down convert from HDMI to component video. That's a violation of HD copy protection rules.

Sorry.

Thank You AfroGT;

That is correct information; and we thank you for providing other Onkyo owners with this credible intel.

Thank you again-

Onkyo USA

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

Does this receive HD Radio? I can't tell. It seems nice. Also, it's another week without a two-fer Tuesday.

onkyousa

sh90706 wrote:Same here. Had a great Onkyo 7.1 receiver, they replaced one hdmi board after 18 months, then now, another 12 months later that one blew, now I have a paperweight.

Hello sh90706;

This is unfortunate that you are reporting an issue with your receiver and would like more information regarding your issue. What is the model of your receiver and serial number as well? Do you have the previous service tickets from our Product Support/ Parts & Services department as well? Have you also viewed our Onkyo USA Support forum for further assistance as well (forums@onkyousa.com) or contacted our Parts & Services department via phone (201-765-2600, option #4 Mond-Friday 9am- 5pm EST) or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) as well? They will promptly review and request some information to further determine any available options to resolve this issue for our awesome customers.

rbilsbor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rbilsbor
Sardinicus wrote:Again I will take back what I said about this being "much" better. I will admit to an anti-Sony bias, but I think if the auto-setup and eq is important to you the Audessey system in the Onkyo is considered state of the art; if this is not an issue for you I would feel comfortable with whichever one has the inputs, decoders, and feature set you want.

Thanks Sardinicus! I pulled the trigger on the Onkyo... I'll probably be getting an AppleTV in which case the lack of AirPlay is (theoretically) reduced. Thanks for your input!

Fingers crossed on the HDMI board... I saw that complaint about the Sony as well. Seems like there are some shoddy boards out there.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
onkyousa wrote:Hello kmartind;
We do have 4 regional service centers located in continental U.S. and also 3 regional service centers in Canada as well.

Agreed, there are larger shops designated as regional service centers, but I've found even those appear to be mostly independent repair shops, not facilities dedicated to just Onkyo repairs.
I'm sure the regional centers probably do a good job, but I can't help but wonder if a large central facility managed directly by the manufacturer might result in improved overall customer satisfaction due to the more direct relationship with Onkyo, and likely quicker parts availability resulting in faster turn-around, etc, and possibly even cost-savings to Onkyo.

It would also be great if they offered an advance-exchange, even if there was a little extra cost (perhaps the customer pays the cost of shipping or something). For example, Onkyo could send you a replacement unit in a sturdy shipping box. You'd put your failed unit in the box and send it back to them. If you fail to return the bad unit then you get charged for the replacement after 30 days or something. A number of companies already have a similar option for various products.

Anyway, not really a criticism, just a possible suggestion for future improvement. Like I said, I've actually had overall very positive experiences with Onkyo products over the course of more than a decade.

jeffflanagan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffflanagan
narquespamley wrote:Bluetooth sucks rocks, unless you enjoy listening to music on AM radio.

This is completely false. You may have experienced a poor implementation of A2DP, which has caused you to spread misinformation.

onkyousa

bloodgain wrote:I'm sad to hear all the negative feedback about Onkyo receivers. I would hope they have fixed their failing HDMI board issue by now, and I never heard these complaints when I was AVR shopping a few years ago.

I have a fantastic set of Onkyo speakers (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000GU78Z4). I'm sure they don't compare to $1K-each pillars, but they look nice, produce crisp sound, and can handle the volume louder than I'd ever run it. I'll eventually replace them with high end and move them to another room, but I'm in no hurry.

I always heard the Onkyo AVRs were good, on par with Denon, so I hope the HDMI thing was just a bad run of boards or a bad choice they've since corrected. I got a deal on a Yamaha AVR, which is great, so I'm probably a life-long member of that club. Onkyo has long been a good name in the AV business, though.

Hello bloodgain;

This is Onkyo USA and we would like to offer you some external links from our authorized dealers such as Amazon.com on the overwhelming customer satisfaction ratings on our various receivers and accessories. You can also review the comparable unit to this HT-RC 560 via http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR626-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00BLGUKDE/ref=cm_rdp_product.

Thank you for your posting and please feel free to contact our 24 hour Product Support department via phone (800-229-1687), email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com), or our support forum (forums@onkyousa.com).

lreige00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lreige00

Is this 3D ready? I didn't see anything in the specs.

onkyousa

lyman123 wrote:I will NEVER buy an Onkyo receiver again. Like all the rest, I was seduced by the features v. price, but both my receivers croaked their HDMI boards in a couple of years.

Got a Yamaha Aventage and love it. Built like a tank, has great features and a cool Android app for controlling it from a table from across the room. UPNP/DLNA also.

Hello lyman;

Based on recent customer feedbacks from such notable and authorized dealers as Amazon, Crutchfield, J & R, Newegg, etc. many of our latest models are NOT experiencing any of the issues you have reported. We have improved the HDMI integrity of our receivers and have provided outstanding support to many customers who expressed any servicing difficulties promptly.

We thank you for your posting and will love to support you in the future when considering Onkyo again.

onkyousa

earpndoll wrote:We have a Onkyo 7.1 HT-R 560 which we love and it soundz AWESOME!!! This system should sound even better than ours!!!! If it actually came with the 7 speakers and two subz that is!!!!!!!!!!! So whats up w/the no speakers included anyhow???

Hello earpndoll;

This thread is for the NEW HT-RC 560 receiver, not to be confused with the HT-S5100 (which included the HT-R 560 receiver). This is a stand-alone receiver and it NOT comparable with your Home Theater-In-A- Box receiver HT-R560.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

onkyousa

lreige00 wrote:Is this 3D ready? I didn't see anything in the specs.

Hello lreige00;

Yes the new HT-RC 560 is 3D ready, as this unit is the same build as our new TX-NR 626 receiver. You can review the specifications of the TX-NR 626 via http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR626&class=Receiver&source=prodClass.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

easyenough

quality posts: 1 Private Messages easyenough

For whatever it's worth, I ride my 5.1 Onkyo constantly and it simply won't die. It's shockingly configurable - I have HDMI from my laptop going into the receiver and then going out to an external monitor/TV or to a projector. The monitor, when it's acting like a TV, puts out sound, which I send back to the receiver using fiber. But sometimes I use a really great Panasonic Blu-Ray player, and it switches that input to whatever video output I want. The radio tuner is excellent, and often in use while I'm also using the receiver to handle video from the laptop (I still don't know how it knows that's what I want). Mine is connected to front wireless speakers, and using the intelligent setup, it's figured out the wireless speaker delay perfectly. One warning: my receiver gets hot if the ambient temperature is warm because the cooling is passive. Just out of precaution, because I love my Onkyo so much, I added a case fan that goes on automatically when the onkyo goes on and it seems to keep the receiver relatively cool even with ambient temps in the high 80's.

onkyousa

jeffflanagan wrote:This is completely false. You may have experienced a poor implementation of A2DP, which has caused you to spread misinformation.

Hello jeffflanagan;

We would like to address this "misinformation". We have reported and assisted many customers via FB and our support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) in regards to this issue and have swapped our accessory BT USB device due to the discrepancy of the compatible BT versions- as we have now provided comparable UBT-1s to support Bluetooth version 4.0.

If you are have any issue with your UBT-1 (excluding the 2013 receivers which are Bluetooth version 4.0 compatible) , Please contact our Product Support Dept. for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

onkyousa

kmartind wrote:Agreed, there are larger shops designated as regional service centers, but I've found even those appear to be mostly independent repair shops, not facilities dedicated to just Onkyo repairs.
I'm sure the regional centers probably do a good job, but I can't help but wonder if a large central facility managed directly by the manufacturer might result in improved overall customer satisfaction due to the more direct relationship with Onkyo, and likely quicker parts availability resulting in faster turn-around, etc, and possibly even cost-savings to Onkyo.

It would also be great if they offered an advance-exchange, even if there was a little extra cost (perhaps the customer pays the cost of shipping or something). For example, Onkyo could send you a replacement unit in a sturdy shipping box. You'd put your failed unit in the box and send it back to them. If you fail to return the bad unit then you get charged for the replacement after 30 days or something. A number of companies already have a similar option for various products.

Anyway, not really a criticism, just a possible suggestion for future improvement. Like I said, I've actually had overall very positive experiences with Onkyo products over the course of more than a decade.

Hello again kmartind;

This is the norm for various AV and electronics manufacturers. I will provide this information for further consideration; as I will also ask you to send a correspondence to our management representative via email: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com.

Popatim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Popatim

Dear OnkyoUSA

All your answers prove to me that:
1- you are aware of the HDMI board issue and have no plans to help anyone that is out of warranty. Do you really think these people posting that Onkyo would not help did not even call?
2- You don't specifically say the old HDMI board had been re-engineered for better quality - very sad when combined with #1.
Nor do you mention that this is a new design. This to me sugggests this is just the same old problematic board that you won't support once its beyond warranty.

My grandpa always said knowing when to shut up was an art form. I guess he was right. Thank you for telling me not to buy this.

timerider

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timerider

At first I thought it was Oppo, which would have been awesome.

sh90706

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sh90706
onkyousa wrote:Hello sh90706;

This is unfortunate that you are reporting an issue with your receiver and would like more information regarding your issue. What is the model of your receiver and serial number as well? Do you have the previous service tickets from our Product Support/ Parts & Services department as well? Have you also viewed our Onkyo USA Support forum for further assistance as well (forums@onkyousa.com) or contacted our Parts & Services department via phone (201-765-2600, option #4 Mond-Friday 9am- 5pm EST) or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) as well? They will promptly review and request some information to further determine any available options to resolve this issue for our awesome customers.

Yes, I have the original purchase receipt and repair order form about a year ago. I am reading the ONKYO website you speaking of today, and may like to get my TX-SR707 repaired BUT only if an IMPROVED HDMI card is inserted, as I don't want to go thru all this again next year etc....
Thank you for replying BTW

leolson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leolson
onkyousa wrote:
Yes the new HT-RC 560 is 3D ready, as this unit is the same build as our new TX-NR 626 receiver. You can review the specifications of the TX-NR 626 via http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR626&class=Receiver&source=prodClass.

Dear OnkyoUSA,
Since you have been so actively answering comments today I have a question that I have always wanted to ask someone from Onkyo since I bought my HT-RC260 a few years ago. Why does Onkyo release 2 almost identical Receivers every year. I remember this was the same with my HT-RC260 and another TX unit that I forget the number of now and now, as you have stated, the new HT-RC560 is almost identical to the TX-NR626. This just leads to more confusion and twice as many products to manage firmware and manuals for. What is supposed to be the marketing difference or reasoning between these 2 models?
Thanks in advance!

Kbene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kbene

I have an Onkyo receiver I bought 5 years ago that stopped working 2 years ago after very occasional (1 or 2 times a month) use. I was told at least $250 to repair. I'm back using my 30 year old Pioneer receiver that never stopped working. I could never buy an Onkyo product again.

Kim T. Bene'

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, let's please be respectful to each other and our Onkyo rep. One of the things that Woot offers that others don't is opportunities to have direct discussions with these reps.

I've deleted a couple posts that crossed the line. Thanks.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

stugoldstein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stugoldstein
leolson wrote:Dear OnkyoUSA,
Since you have been so actively answering comments today I have a question that I have always wanted to ask someone from Onkyo since I bought my HT-RC260 a few years ago. Why does Onkyo release 2 almost identical Receivers every year. I remember this was the same with my HT-RC260 and another TX unit that I forget the number of now and now, as you have stated, the new HT-RC560 is almost identical to the TX-NR626. This just leads to more confusion and twice as many products to manage firmware and manuals for. What is supposed to be the marketing difference or reasoning between these 2 models?
Thanks in advance!

That is one I do not know.

stugoldstein

Kbene wrote:I have an Onkyo receiver I bought 5 years ago that stopped working 2 years ago after very occasional (1 or 2 times a month) use. I was told at least $250 to repair. I'm back using my 30 year old Pioneer receiver that never stopped working. I could never buy an Onkyo product again.

What receiver do you have? As I have the a TX-SR 806.

onkyousa

Kbene wrote:I have an Onkyo receiver I bought 5 years ago that stopped working 2 years ago after very occasional (1 or 2 times a month) use. I was told at least $250 to repair. I'm back using my 30 year old Pioneer receiver that never stopped working. I could never buy an Onkyo product again.

Hello Kim;

Upon reading your posting; we are sorry to read that you are reporting an issue with your Onkyo receiver. We would like to obtain some pertinent information and review this issue to determine the best servicing option for you.

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept. at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email at parts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you. You will also need to submit a copy of your sales receipt via fax (201) 934-7823 or email: jose.torres@us.onkyo.com. Please allow a few business days for further processing of your service ticket and await a response via phone or email.

onkyousa

leolson wrote:Dear OnkyoUSA,
Thanks in advance!

Hello Again Leolson;

The overall differences and purposes for the sale of the HT-RC and TX-SR/ TX-NR Onkyo receiver models are the following:

- The HT-RC models are the same build as the TX-SR/ TX-NR models. This provides a more unique identification from the widely available TX-SR/ TX-NR model lines.

- HT-RC models are only sold by specific authorized Onkyo dealers in NORTH AMERICA only. While the TX-SR/ TX- NR models are globally available for purchase with all authorized Onkyo dealers.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept. for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

onkyousa

sh90706 wrote:Yes, I have the original purchase receipt and repair order form about a year ago. I am reading the ONKYO website you speaking of today, and may like to get my TX-SR707 repaired BUT only if an IMPROVED HDMI card is inserted, as I don't want to go thru all this again next year etc....
Thank you for replying BTW

Hello Again sh90706;

We do understand your frustration and would like for you to speak with our Parts & Services department promptly via their contact number (201-785-2600) Monday - Friday 9am to 5pm EST. Please refer to the representative that you have spoken to the Onkyo Woot representative and I would like to further follow up with this issue; as we always do for our customers (check our support forum or FB webpage).

We thank you again for your cooperation and time to work on resolving your issue- as I will speak with the department on optional accommodations to resolve your issue.

onkyousa

SeeTheArt wrote:Does this receive HD Radio? I can't tell. It seems nice. Also, it's another week without a two-fer Tuesday.

Hello SeeTheArt;

The HT-RC 560 is network-ready and when connected to your internet via Ethernet or Wi-Fi- will enable internet streaming. This receiver will NOT provide HD radio transmission, but will provide selected HD radio stations via network connection only.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept. for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

onkyousa

narquespamley wrote:For the record, virtually all the notifications on the press releases page are firmware updates. There is one issue involving a selective recall, and it is not related to the HDMI card. Significantly, it appears that Onkyo has that one narrowed down to a small range of serial numbers built over a specific period of time.

Question stands.

That said, this is what is probably going on:
1. Onkyo knows exactly what the design defect is (e.g. poorly rated capacitors), exactly when and where they were used, and exactly whether or not the design was ever changed
2. The issue was massive and endemic because of the widespread use of these capacitors
3. Onkyo doesn't want to spend a dime addressing the problem so they kept using their inventory of bad parts even after they knew there was a problem
4. They are deliberately saying nothing about what they know because to do so would unleash a torrent of liability for a massive number of broken receivers
5. It's impossible to confirm where the design has been fixed, if anywhere. Sometimes companies will blow out their inventories of sub-par inventory through secondary channels. Oh, this is one of them.

So we can bang on this rep all day but he's not to change the party line because he doesn't have the authority to do that. That decision authority is way above his level - most likely a VP given the consequent spend and consideration for brand equity.

Only Woot itself, given the amount of business it provides for Onkyo, has sufficient leverage. Who knows how they will act. As part of Amazon, that's going to have a lot to do with metrics. Is this materially affecting how the merchandise moves? Only Woot knows.

Hello again narquespamley;

Upon reading your postings; we again would like to assist you and work on resolving your current displeasure and view of your substantiated reports of neglectful servicing procedures. We would like to further help correspond and educate you so you can provide accurate information. We also would like to advise you to please view our support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to review the various comments and customer feedback on our various models. We thank you again for your postings today and await to correspond with you via our email askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com or support forum.

onkyousa

TAGyurit wrote:Agreed here, too! I'm on my 4th HDMI Board with my TX-NR807. Blows for no reason... I've given up on having it fixed, and have now resorted to an external $13 4-port HDMI Switch. WOOT should have a sale on spare boards; they'd make a ton of money! I'll have to have some proof from Onkyo that they have fixed the problem before I'd buy another one of their Receivers.

Hello TAGyurit;

Have you contacted our Parts & Services department in regards to this issue? Please contact our Parts & Services Dept. at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST ; or via email at parts@us.onkyo.com. They can be contacted at 201-785-2600, option # 4 for Parts & Services as they can further assist you. You will also need to submit a copy of your sales receipt via fax (201) 934-7823 or email: parts@us.onkyo.com. Please allow 3-5 business days for further processing of your service ticket and to contact the service center and await a response via phone or email.

mfeferman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

+1

apurohit wrote:Hardly. I use BT on my Galaxy s3 all the time, and the quality is excellent. Heck, my friend has a BT motorcycle Helmet setup that works wonderfully too.

The problem most people face is a crappy source chip on their device. Some devices do a poor job, or have older spec chips. My guess is, your device may not support the current standard, which would explain the poor sound you're getting.

"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

towelbotxcore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages towelbotxcore
knockem wrote:So the question I have is should I buy it. I currently do not have a receiver system and I am looking to get one. My main goal is to be able to connect a projector up to it so I can watch a large screen version of a show or play a game on the Xbox 360. The projector does not have any speakers to it so I would want to go from my Xbox to the receiver with HDMI then the video needs to go out via HDMI to the projector. The sound would then come from the receiver. I am assuming this described setup will work with this? I would also take any suggestions on speakers I can get for this unit as well.

That will work. I have the same setup (projector, receiver, xbox360), except with a different receiver (any with an HDMI input will do).

stugoldstein

mikeweyer wrote:Onkyo hits their price point by using substandard parts. I bought their top of the line two thousand dollar receiver, 3 years later it is dead, and no help to be had from Onkyo. Now I own a Denon and I love it. A cheap price receiver is no deal if you have to replace it.

As a fellow Denon owner; I can agree that the receiver works great- until you need servicing- then welcome to my world.. this is why I was looking at this model receiver- but NO ONE on here has offered any feedback on this receiver yet.

stugoldstein

Popatim wrote:Dear OnkyoUSA

All your answers prove to me that:
1- you are aware of the HDMI board issue and have no plans to help anyone that is out of warranty. Do you really think these people posting that Onkyo would not help did not even call?
2- You don't specifically say the old HDMI board had been re-engineered for better quality - very sad when combined with #1.
Nor do you mention that this is a new design. This to me sugggests this is just the same old problematic board that you won't support once its beyond warranty.

My grandpa always said knowing when to shut up was an art form. I guess he was right. Thank you for telling me not to buy this.

Well they helped me with my 806 and I have no issues since. Why don't you call them and see what they can do. I found this posting on their forum that you should review http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2438&start=10. Food for thought.

stugoldstein

tuckerpatterson wrote:Just like everyone else I also had my HDMI board fry and Onkyo did not want to help when I called them. I have a TX-708. I was just living with the substandard reciever until DirecTv offer to repair it or replace it for me.
If you want GREAT! service call do business with DirecTv, if you want poor quality and poor service buy Onkyo.
(To be fair the reciever does have great sound. I just lost faith that Onkyo will stand by their product.)

LOL. it seems that Direct TV screwed up your receiver- why else would they replace a product they don't manufacture? Have you ever thought of that? Monster did the same for my PS3 and older Onkyo receiver that suffered a power surge. Their surge protector didn't protect me . So can you really blame Onkyo? You probably had a surge that fried your receiver and DirectTV is trying to amend the issue from their box- as I read about this on AVS as well.

ninefoot3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ninefoot3

Had my TX-SR601 since may 2003. Never a glitch hiccup or otherwise. Heavy usage over its 10 year tenure in my home theater. Does it have HDMI, nope. Would I like it to have HDMI, yep.

My fear of upgrading has to do with the lower budget friendly crap I've seen Onkyo put out since my unit was made. There was a time when Onkyo meant getting a solid bang for your buck that kept up pretty good with the big boys.

Bought a Sony a few weeks ago at Costco... Took it back the next morning. The 601 still owning that spot.

Go back to the way you were Onkyo. Then I will buy you again. Separate Onkyo from WalMart and other low rent stores and I may buy you again.

oops, I woot'd again.

accessories4less

quality posts: 1 Private Messages accessories4less

We sell Onkyo products and other top tier brands of receivers and find that a VERY large percentage of bad "HDMI board" problems are actually related to low quality/performance HDMI cables. Some do go bad, but we find around 80% of our HDMI output problems are actually not the receiver/board...it's the HDMI cable.

A few words of caution. HDMI cables don't like hard bends especially near the connectors. Wall mounted TV's with pressure on the HDMI connectors will eventually cause ANY brand or quality of a cable to fail. Also when running HDMI cables make sure to keep from pulling on the connectors. We also see cables fails due to age and internal oxidation/corrosion of the cooper conducts.

We have narrowed it down to this simple test which works for most customers:
NO VIDEO but you still have audio it's a bad cable. NO AUDIO AND NO VIDEO it's a bad receiver/board.

Make a quick trip to Walmart/Target and pickup a new HIGH performance HDMI cable and see if it cures the problem.

pmathews8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmathews8

I'm interested in only playing 5.1 speakers currently. Is it problematic to run fewer speakers than the 7.2?

accessories4less

quality posts: 1 Private Messages accessories4less
pmathews8 wrote:I'm interested in only playing 5.1 speakers currently. Is it problematic to run fewer speakers than the 7.2?

Won't hurt a thing. Make sure to run the audyssey setup mic and it will turn off any unused channels.

bookishboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookishboy
lichme wrote:Anybody know how well the upscaling works?

I can't comment on this model, but if it's similar to the TX-NR515, it may only upscale from 480i sources. Which means effectively that you may have a difficult time deciding whether to output from your source in 480i and use the receiver to upscale, or instead output in a higher resolution from the source.