quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Would you rather...
  • 47.2% - Win $100,000 dollars 1126
  • 14.9% - Add another 5 years to your life 356
  • 22.6% - Start a whole new life with no repercussions 540
  • 15.3% - Gain the power of flight for one month 365
2387 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

prttymf8

quality posts: 24 Private Messages prttymf8

Having the power of flight for a month would just make me sad when it was gone.

Is the $100,000 tax free? I'll take it.

MattCortese

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MattCortese

I went with the power of flight. I wouldn't add 5 years to my life, because I assume by the end of my life those 5 years wouldn't be the most fun. If I could add them to the middle of my life (aka 5 healthy years) I'd do it. New life doesn't appeal to me. $100,000 certainly is useful and I would think about it. Being able to fly for a month would be an experience no one else would ever have, so I'd have to go with that. Hopefully I'm able to breathe no matter what, so I can fly above the clouds. Even moderate level flying would be awesome though.

ambergreen

quality posts: 10 Private Messages ambergreen

Winning $100k would pay off the house thereby adding 5 years to my life. Bonus.

myrddinemrys

quality posts: 3 Private Messages myrddinemrys

It occurs to me that, for $100,000, I can buy a helicopter and pay for some flying lessons...

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight

If I could gain the power of flight and it would be gone after 30-31 days, I have to admit that I would probably be pretty darn sad afterwards.

I think I'll go with $100,000. Even if it were taxed, that's a lot of things to worry about lifted right there - which just might add 5 healthy years to my life.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

jrs1980

quality posts: 26 Private Messages jrs1980
MattCortese wrote:I wouldn't add 5 years to my life, because I assume by the end of my life those 5 years wouldn't be the most fun. If I could add them to the middle of my life (aka 5 healthy years) I'd do it.

Agreed. To quote the great philosopher Sugar Daddy Solomon, "the last years are the crappy years anyway."

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

shubhox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shubhox

While we are making wishes, why not make it $100 million.

aboteler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aboteler

I really like this poll. There should be more like this.

ceagee

quality posts: 58 Private Messages ceagee

I picked flight. I assumed that would be a super power of flight -- no plane needed. Soaring over some of the amazing places on this earth would be so cool.

5 years added would be my second choice.

New life..... I've earned what I've learned.
Don't want to give that up.

money ? meh. Although it's always nice to have some extra green. In the end, it's just paper.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz
aboteler wrote:I really like this poll. There should be more like this.

I agree. It's a good philosophical question and surprisingly not the usual shallow Woot-crap.
I expected the $100,000 to be the most popular for what I consider logical reasons but probably not mine. The last 5 yrs of life usually aren't quality years, one month of flying makes less sense than a tattoo (a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling) and since I remember past life experiences I expect I will have another and another, etc... I can see how a "One lifer" might find starting over attractive.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

$100,000 can buy one almost all of the other things on the list.

The true question is would you rather have unlimited happiness (but also destitute) or unlimited money (but also unhappiness).

benjaminobed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjaminobed

With the power of flight, you could easily get $100k in sponsorships, TV deals, etc. Plus, how cool would that be?

mytdawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mytdawg

While it's true money can't buy happiness, it makes being miserable a lot more tolerable. I'll take the cash.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

Flight would be cool and I might be able to make $100,000 (or more) in a month... I might have to go with that. I couldn't leave my kids and wife so a new life isn't necessary, 5 years - I suppose it depends on when my time came, though when it comes it comes. It is certainly between paying off bills and flight. If I had no morals flight would make me well over $100,000 and thus my debate.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

I'd have to be really careful if I picked flight. Knowing me, I'd be 100+ feet up at the end of the month, having forgotten what day it is considering how much fun I'd be having. In that case, I wouldn't have to worry for too long about missing my special flight powers.

roland427

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roland427

I went with the money. I'd feel pretty bad if I lost the ability to fly. Think of how Superman would feel if he couldn't fly. I already live my life the way I want, so the new one doesn't appeal. And like others have said, the $100k would take enough stress off of me that by de facto, I'd live another five years anyway.

rtameo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rtameo

I feel like if I had the power of flight for a month, I could make way more than $100,000 in just that one month.

gesualdo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gesualdo

I'm amazed, and saddened, by all of the responses saying "Think of how sad you'd be when you lose the ability to fly!" Eventually, in every human's life, our ability to do things which we had previously been able comes to and end; the argument that one should therefore not do awesome things seems incredibly shortsighted.

tl;dr - It's better to have flown and lost than to never have flown at all.

theroseknows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theroseknows

Interesting choices, all which come with questions. Is my power of flight silent or does it make noise? Because if it is silent, I could easily use it to make well over $100K in the month I had it. With a little foresight, I could use it to set myself up with a larger income to cover me for the rest of my life even after the power was gone.

Forget the 5 years, I'd rather add quality than quantity.

A whole new life...do i get to keep the knowledge I amassed in this one? If not, there doesn't seem to be much point. And do I have to start over in this time period? Because I wouldn't want to deal with the inane school systems we have now for 12 years. Besides, I don't have many regrets anyway. So no to this one as well.

Flight looks to be he obvious winner here to me anyway. I can get most of the benefits of the other choices by judicious use of this one.

tiffphill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffphill

I wouldn't want to start a whole new life. I love mine now...finally. I took the money. I nust had a baby and if he wants to go to college in 18 years...he can pay for o e semester with 100 grand

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver

I took life, but actually I think I'd like to be in a world of magic and joy where people can fly.

stavnian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stavnian

If i had the power of flight, no one would catch me after i robbed a few banks; therefore bringing in more money than $100K, duh.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Start a new life with all the knowledge I have today? Easy choice.

sharkbiteax

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sharkbiteax

Come on people! Those that chose $100k have no imagination. I choose flight ONLY IF I can take one other person with me each flight. I'd charge a fee to take people and make more than a $100k in a month and then have enough for all the rest plus some.

But if I CAN'T have anyone else with me................well than yeah, I'll take the cash.

nirai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nirai

I would just be frustrated when my flight time was up. The cash would pay off student loans, put a decent down payment on a house, and have a good chunk in savings.

donnemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnemo

With flight you could easily make more money than $100k through criminal or legal means.

Experiencing something like that would also be far more interesting than another 5 years.

Who would want to live through high school again?

Definitely flight.

POB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages POB

Now, that's a great poll question!

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Yeah, a new life would only be worth it if you get to keep all the knowledge you gained in the old one.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
MattCortese wrote:I wouldn't add 5 years to my life, because I assume by the end of my life those 5 years wouldn't be the most fun. If I could add them to the middle of my life (aka 5 healthy years) I'd do it.

Really? Did you listen to yourself on this one? Adding "another 5 years to your life" does just that. It doesn't really matter where you add them. You just live 5 more years than you would have. So make the current 5 that much better. Then you can use those last 5 you added on to think back on all the cool Hershey's Kiss you did in the middle. Duh.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r
benjaminobed wrote:With the power of flight, you could easily get $100k in sponsorships, TV deals, etc. Plus, how cool would that be?

My logic exactly.

Drapheus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Drapheus

Yes, let me sit around in adult diapers while pooping myself for five extra years!

You know, $100k will buy a lot of adult diapers...

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

100 grand really isn't much. A month of flying at my age isn't a big deal. (I used to work for an airline, flew everywhere.) Five more years of life is considered only if they are healthy. A whole new life with no repercussions? Repercussions? I don't really understand the usage there. Is this like Witness Protection, or start over from the beginning as a baby? If I carry over my life knowledge, and start over and not make all the stupid mistakes, life would be different. Better, maybe, but I wouldn't end up were I am now, and I like me and where I am.

deadeye37

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deadeye37

I picked power of flight for a month. I figure with that power, I would get a lot of national attention and a lot of talk shows would want to talk to me. I would easily make more that $100,000 doing my circuits through talk shows.

With that extra money, I could afford those things that could add 5 years to my life.

At that point, I wouldn't want to change my life.

peaston75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peaston75
jeparz wrote:I agree. It's a good philosophical question and surprisingly not the usual shallow Woot-crap.
I expected the $100,000 to be the most popular for what I consider logical reasons but probably not mine. The last 5 yrs of life usually aren't quality years, one month of flying makes less sense than a tattoo (a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling) and since I remember past life experiences I expect I will have another and another, etc... I can see how a "One lifer" might find starting over attractive.

Wait a minute, you remember past lives?

worlebird

quality posts: 3 Private Messages worlebird
curtisuxor wrote:The true question is would you rather have unlimited happiness (but also destitute) or unlimited money (but also unhappiness).

Interesting question. The problem I see is that I don't think unlimited happiness is possible while being destitute, unless you are mentally disabled in some way. After all, how can one be completely happy while simultaneously wondering if you were going to be able to eat today? And if you are guaranteed that your basic needs will be taken care of (you will have basic food and shelter, etc.), then you aren't really destitute, are you?

jober8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jober8

Can't believe power of flight is the least popular. People are a bit short-sighted I think. If I could fly for a month I would get sponsored by Red Bull, write a book, shoot a documentary, make a movie, and become an instant Hollywood sensation. Think those things might pull in a bit more than 100k... More work? Of course! But awesome nonetheless.

brunge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brunge
myrddinemrys wrote:It occurs to me that, for $100,000, I can buy a helicopter and pay for some flying lessons...

I take it you have not shopped for a helicopter recently.

nordwiga1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nordwiga1

Get flight, charge people thousands of dollars for rides, have fun while making millions of dollars in a month. Beat the system.

connorbush

quality posts: 2 Private Messages connorbush

Darn, I mean power of flight. You could easily make 100,000 doing a movie or something.