WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Low-calorie soda is...
  • 22.2% - A lifesaver - I can still drink soda! 437
  • 27.7% - A mockery of soda - who cares about the calories when it tastes so bad? 546
  • 31.2% - A sham - it's still soda, so it's still poison 614
  • 18.9% - A thing I don't think much about 373
1970 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

NavyStore

quality posts: 3 Private Messages NavyStore

As a lesbian friend of mine once said, "Life is to short to drink diet soda or date ugly women!"

Yep, words to live by!

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Fine, but I go full diet.

Low-cal soda is actually directed towards men who feel drinking a product with the word "diet" in it is effeminate.

jubjub449

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jubjub449

I find that low-calorie, or diet soda tends to taste better than the original counterparts. Maybe it's because I was raised on low-fat milk, which is a similar concept really p:

Nothing like the aftertaste of aspartame in the morning.

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

I don't drink it because I can't stand the taste of aspartame. That stuff has started to creep into other non-diet drinks (such as energy drinks, teas, and even some juices), which is why I mostly drink water these days.

Also, whatever advantages diet sodas may have, being healthier isn't one of them:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/10/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/?hpt=hp_c3

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
Starblind wrote:I don't drink it because I can't stand the taste of aspartame. That stuff has started to creep into other non-diet drinks (such as energy drinks, teas, and even some juices), which is why I mostly drink water these days.

Also, whatever advantages diet sodas may have, being healthier isn't one of them:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/10/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/?hpt=hp_c3

+1

zeiramp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeiramp
Starblind wrote:I don't drink it because I can't stand the taste of aspartame. That stuff has started to creep into other non-diet drinks (such as energy drinks, teas, and even some juices), which is why I mostly drink water these days.

I fully agree. Also, the fact that aspartame gives me terrible migraines means that I can't drink diet soda even if I wanted to. Even worse is the fact that it is in almost every gum and breath mint out there, which ruins all those for me as well.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Soda has always been marketing driven. If there were no advertisements, no one would drink soda. It's not needed, has no nutritional value and causes a number of health issues.

evvo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evvo

There's a growing belief that it actually contributes to the occurrence of diabetes because even though it has no calories, the sweetness on our tongue causes a release of insulin into the bloodstream. I'm still waiting to see some real studies about this in humans. It has been documented in mice.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus
evvo wrote:There's a growing belief that it actually contributes to the occurrence of diabetes because even though it has no calories, the sweetness on our tongue causes a release of insulin into the bloodstream. I'm still waiting to see some real studies about this in humans. It has been documented in mice.

stupid mice!

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

eliztowns

quality posts: 3 Private Messages eliztowns
jubjub449 wrote:I find that low-calorie, or diet soda tends to taste better than the original counterparts. Maybe it's because I was raised on low-fat milk, which is a similar concept really p:

I'm the same way. I dislike normal soda because it tastes too sugary for me. But I was also raised on a ton of low fat/cal/sugar foods/drinks. There's a good chance that my first soda ever was a diet coke because that's what my parents stocked the fridge with.

flyingmole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyingmole

Its not Soda its pop. What kind of backward person calls it soda?

teedo757

quality posts: 5 Private Messages teedo757
evvo wrote:There's a growing belief that it actually contributes to the occurrence of diabetes because even though it has no calories, the sweetness on our tongue causes a release of insulin into the bloodstream. I'm still waiting to see some real studies about this in humans. It has been documented in mice.

CNN report that seconds your opinion.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/10/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/?hpt=hp_c4

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

I miss saccharin. I miss original Tab.

Down w/ aspartame and splenda. blech.

phredt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phredt

Not actually any healthier for you than regular soda, but tastes like crap.

flyingmole wrote:Its not Soda its pop. What kind of backward person calls it soda?

A person who's older than 5.

xozibl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xozibl

When I was sick as a kid, my mother used to spoon-feed me cola on crushed ice, so I tend to think of soda as medicine and only drink it when I'm ill.

xozibl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xozibl
xozibl wrote:When I was sick as a kid, my mother used to spoon-feed me cola on crushed ice, so I tend to think of soda as medicine and only drink it when I'm ill.

Oh - and I have the same problem with artificial sweeteners - like a mule kicked me. And I call it "soda", "pop" and "soda-pop"

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I drink maybe 6 Cokes in a year. Soda pop is too sweet.

Beer. A good microbrew IPA is what I like!

Or... 12+ yr old single malt scotch.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

I don't hate Coke Zero.

Actually, depending on my mood I like it better than Classic - but still can't stand normal Diet coke.

Pepsi Max is amusing for the same reason.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
flyingmole wrote:Its not Soda its pop. What kind of backward person calls it soda?

Depends which coast you're on.

My Great Aunt used to call it Pop, and then later changed it to "Sody pop" and later just "Sody".

My MIL came from Pennsylvania to the Midwest, and we called it Soda here, but it was "Pop" where she lived.

It's a matter of 'Druthers.

Ya druther call it a Soda or Pop?

dnlkolender

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dnlkolender

Diet soda Like Hansen's is good, all natural, no aspartame.