Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2657 Private Messages lichme

Item: Apple 17" Quad-Core i7 MacBook Pro
Price: $1,499.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/2/2013 - $1,619.99-1,699 - 60 comment(s)
5/17/2013 - $1,619.99-1,699 - 62 comment(s)

6/7/2013 - $1,620.00 (Woot Plus)
6/7/2013 - $1,700.00 (Woot Plus)

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker

Will this work with my mac?

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

EvilCoatrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EvilCoatrack

Will it work with my PC?

Or will a casefight ensue?

jeffiekins

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jeffiekins

This thing is awesome. A guy I work with has it.

Just upgrade it to 8 Gb of RAM ($50 at Newegg or Crucial) and it'll handle anything you can possibly throw at it.

Photoshop, an IDE and web server and database all at the same time, and it just won't slow down.

It even sounds good. Seriously. It's a huge upgrade from my 2-core 13" one.

And it's something like $1000 less than the new one (with an SSD the same size).

I'm supposed to buy something? But we're having so much fun with things as they are, I don't want to ruin it!
Purchases: 18 / 11 (nobody cares what, so I won't tell you);
Brownies of Cannabis: 1 / 12 (Thanks, Wootalyzer! -- would it help if I called them something else?).

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter
jeffiekins wrote:This thing is awesome. A guy I work with has it.

Just upgrade it to 8 Gb of RAM ($50 at Newegg or Crucial) and it'll handle anything you can possibly throw at it.

Photoshop, an IDE and web server and database all at the same time, and it just won't slow down.

It even sounds good. Seriously. It's a huge upgrade from my 2-core 13" one.

And it's something like $1000 less than the new one (with an SSD the same size).

Glad you decided to compare apples to apples

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

additional info can be found on the G0M3BLL/A over at apple.com

thenagman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thenagman

So is this like a 17" TV here on tv.woot.com?

schrody

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schrody

A refurb... and it's "only" $1600?

Amazing tht anyone has that kinda money to spend on what should be under $1k worth of hardware but for the brand.

OTOH, people overpay for fashion clothing and shoes all the time, so why not on fashion computers.

No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!

Boredmaster

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Boredmaster
schrody wrote:A refurb... and it's "only" $1600?

Amazing tht anyone has that kinda money to spend on what should be under $1k worth of hardware but for the brand.

OTOH, people overpay for fashion clothing and shoes all the time, so why not on fashion computers.

Exactly! Also, why would I pay double the price for something with a netbook-sized keyboard? I have man hands, and need a grown-up sized keyboard. Is it a bad computer? No, of course not, but you can get soooo much more for sooo much less if you aren't hung up on being a Mac fanboy.

lichme

quality posts: 2657 Private Messages lichme

Here is a review from PC Mag

cannedpoo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cannedpoo

Will it work for food?

honeybadger12

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honeybadger12

Way to hit the nail on the head. Completely mind-blowing that anyone would pay $1500+ for a refurbished laptop. This one is for the people who are desperate for image.

GreatJorge

quality posts: 32 Private Messages GreatJorge

This is on the G0M3BLL/A model:

- Originally released on Feb 2011 here are some comparisons with current Apple Laptops:

1-Apple doesnt make 17 inches screen laptops anymore. Now you can only get 13 or 15.4 inches max. A refurb is the only way to get a 17in screen from Apple now.

2-Resolution (native) is 1990x1200. Today's smaller screen is only 1440x900 - which sells new for $1700. You can get higher resolution on the 15in screen (and 13) but ONLY if you go for the retina display which has 2880x1800 but go for $2100 - $2700+ - Otherwise you get 1440x900.

3- The CPU speed of the new 15.4 inch (NON-retina) is the same 2.3GHz and i7 processors as this one. The expensive RETINA models are faster at 2.4GHZ and 2.7 (but again are over $2100-$2700)

4- Memory is expandable to 8Gb ($50 at Crucial)

5-It comes with Lion (or 10.7) operating system (the current version is Mountain Lion or 10.8) - you can upgrade easily to Mountain Lion.

If this came with the older (10.6) Snow Leopard version of the OS, I would jump on it. Snow Leopard was Apple's fastest, smallest footprint operating system. It screams. I'm NOT a fan of neither Lion or Mountain Lion. They have added tons of ways to post to FB, tweeter, etc and make it more iPhone compatible which is good for some but for me on a computer I just want speed.

This purchase is eligible for Apple Care which is optional (will cost you extra),. AppleCare is Apple's own guarantee (which is a very good thing for an apple product).

Hope this helps you decide.

In general Apples are much faster processing photos and videos. But they definitely cost extra.

amaliazacher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amaliazacher
GreatJorge wrote:This is on the G0M3BLL/A model:

1-Apple doesnt make 17 inches screen laptops anymore.

2-Resolution (native) is 1990x1200. Today's smaller screen is only 1440x900 - which sells new for $1700.

5-It comes with Lion (or 10.7) operating system -- upgrade easily to Mountain Lion.

Snow Leopard was Apple's fastest, smallest footprint operating system.

This purchase is eligible for Apple Care which is optional (will cost you extra).

In general Apples are much faster processing photos and videos. But they definitely cost extra.

Very helpful/useful info, GreatJorge! Thanks. I think I'm gonna get me one, despite the lack of Snow Leopard. :-p

(BTW, I'm not doing it for the label, guys! I'm probably not as nerdy as some on this site, but I did graduate from a nerdy Tech college and owned/used PCs only for 15+ years, then got tired of them crashing and bugging out and got a MacBook in 2009 -- I think maybe it's crashed once in 4+ years! I love it.)

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight

"Apple. Think Different."

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

wootbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootbert

I am still using a 13 Inch Aluminum Unibody (the first generation before it went pro).
I Upgraded to 6GB ram, a 500GB SSD in the primary HD slot and replaced the cd rom with another 500GB SSD. The 13 inch is running Mountain Lion and is back to speed.
Now Why am I saying this, I am sure this 17incher will serve you for a LOOOONG time. The expense seems a bit steep, which is normal for Apple, but you get years out of this piece of hardware.
I got mine in 2008, 5 years ago and it is still competitive.
If you need a laptop and have the cash this is an awesome unit.
The only complaint I have are the somewhat 'sharp' edges. When I type and rest my hands on the body, the edges are turning uncomfortable fast. This 17 inch laptop has the same exterior built.

wootbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootbert

Get the Apple Care from eBay you will safe a mint!

The Apple Care will guarantee you a working computer for 3 years,assuming you are not using the MacBook as a frisbee trying to shape the exterior to your liking!

If I spend this much money, I want to make sure I am able to use it for years.

=> Apple Care highly recommended!

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 28 Private Messages skispeakeasy

1-Apple doesnt make 17 inches screen laptops anymore. Now you can only get 13 or 15.4 inches max. A refurb is the only way to get a 17in screen from Apple now.

I know lots of people who have grabbed these before they are gone for this very reason. It's also worth noting that this machine was much better built than the following MBP model.

3- The CPU speed of the new 15.4 inch (NON-retina) is the same 2.3GHz and i7 processors as this one. The expensive RETINA models are faster at 2.4GHZ and 2.7 (but again are over $2100-$2700)

A brand new chip set was just released from Intel and announced at WWDC. This new chip set was built from the ground up and uses 50% less power without any performance loss. This is a big reason to wait and buy a later model since this is mobile technology. By November the whole Mac lineup will have the new chips.

The low max RAM is also a factor with the release of Mavericks.

Done and done! ;)

antonios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antonios

what the hell, $112 tax?

mjcohnmd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjcohnmd

Cheaper at newegg $1,309.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100273&IsVirtualParent=1

I wonder if the one from newegg is a true factory refurb or any other significant difference?

dakotaadmiral

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakotaadmiral

Correction to the above claims:

This computer is one of the only MBP to accept 16Gb 1333 Ram. (2x8GB). I know this because I did it and my system now recognizes 16GB. This is also the only MBP big enough to accept 2x1TB internal SSDs.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo
wootbert wrote:Get the Apple Care from eBay you will safe a mint!

The Apple Care will guarantee you a working computer for 3 years,assuming you are not using the MacBook as a frisbee trying to shape the exterior to your liking!

If I spend this much money, I want to make sure I am able to use it for years.

=> Apple Care highly recommended!

So the 12 year old Dell I still use with my engine diagnostic tools is an anomaly? I think not and I paid $50 on craigslist for it....

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo

- Originally released on Feb 2011 here are some comparisons with current Apple Laptops:

2-Resolution (native) is 1990x1200. Today's smaller screen is only 1440x900 - which sells new for $1700. You can get higher resolution on the 15in screen (and 13) but ONLY if you go for the retina display which has 2880x1800 but go for $2100 - $2700+ - Otherwise you get 1440x900.

5-It comes with Lion (or 10.7) operating system (the current version is Mountain Lion or 10.8) - you can upgrade easily to Mountain Lion.

If this came with the older (10.6) Snow Leopard version of the OS, I would jump on it. Snow Leopard was Apple's fastest, smallest footprint operating system. It screams. I'm NOT a fan of neither Lion or Mountain Lion. They have added tons of ways to post to FB, tweeter, etc and make it more iPhone compatible which is good for some but for me on a computer I just want speed.

This purchase is eligible for Apple Care which is optional (will cost you extra),. AppleCare is Apple's own guarantee (which is a very good thing for an apple product).

And so a vastly overpriced alienware laptop comes in 17" and even 18" screens at comparable prices, NEW, with comparable or better features. Why would we want this apple garbage?

WalterTangoFoxtrot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot

The i7 from 2011 is not the same as the i7 from today. Thats why Apple loves intel processors: no one looks at what generation of the core-I series it is.

Jago3825

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jago3825
mjcohnmd wrote:Cheaper at newegg $1,309.99:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100273&IsVirtualParent=1

I wonder if the one from newegg is a true factory refurb or any other significant difference?

New eggs unit only has a 90day warranty which means its a 3rd party refurb and not an Apple Factory certified refurbished unit. I've bought 3rd party refurb Apple product before and it's really hit or miss. But I've never had an issue with an Apple factory refurb. They do an awesome job.

kevinwangjiakan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan

Every Mac owner I know has owned both PC and Mac but prefers Mac. I have yet to see a person who has *owned* both to prefer a PC (I know there are, so don't give me yourself as a counterexample).

For those who says the hardware is not worth that much, hardware is not just CPU, GPU and etc., the build is also a part of it. Do you think any Windows Ultrabook's price is worth the "hardware" in it? This is not buying meat, the heavier the more expensive.

Most software engineers at Google and Facebook use Mac. I know because I've worked at both places. Why, because they look good? C'mon, a lot don't even shower everyday (I do).

kevinwangjiakan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan
ElGuappo wrote:And so a vastly overpriced alienware laptop comes in 17" and even 18" screens at comparable prices, NEW, with comparable or better features. Why would we want this apple garbage?

If I need strength training, I wound't pay that much money to buy a dumbbell alternative.

WalterTangoFoxtrot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WalterTangoFoxtrot
kevinwangjiakan wrote:Every Mac owner I know has owned both PC and Mac but prefers Mac. I have yet to see a person who has *owned* both to prefer a PC (I know there are, so don't give me yourself as a counterexample).

So... Don't offer proof that your example is flawed, and biased... I prefer my windows based computers, and android based phones over the apple equivalents... I own a G5 powermac, which I feel was the last real Macintosh ever made. Once they went to using the same hardware and chipset as everyone else, the only thing they had left was fanboyism, and a hardware lockout on running Mac OS on anything but their computers. ( not that its hard to get around that insanity)

But I diverge way off topic.

Macbooks are pretty neat, but paying New computer prices for a 2 year old used computer seems to be the opposite of thrifty to me.

carbonium

quality posts: 5 Private Messages carbonium
honeybadger12 wrote:Way to hit the nail on the head. Completely mind-blowing that anyone would pay $1500+ for a refurbished laptop. This one is for the people who are desperate for image.

For me it has NOTHING to do with image. I've never had mine viewable in public. I have 5 PC's and they are great for gaming but my 17" Macbook pro has made me 100's of times what I paid for it. No viruses, no Blue screen of death or crashes, no driver issues, 12 second reboots. Haven't even rebooted it in 4 months. Great intuitive interface that blows windows out of the water in just about every aspect.

Stay on a PC and loose money and or time due to lower productivity. If you've never owned a Mac then you'll have a hard time grasping the HUGE differences.

There's a reason why Apple is the largest company (Exxon might have 1# depending on the stock market) in the world. People that buy them are happy with them. When I use windows it not only feels second rate but it performs that way. Mac and Iphone are eroding Windows PC sales.

carbonium

quality posts: 5 Private Messages carbonium
dakotaadmiral wrote:Correction to the above claims:

This computer is one of the only MBP to accept 16Gb 1333 Ram. (2x8GB). I know this because I did it and my system now recognizes 16GB. This is also the only MBP big enough to accept 2x1TB internal SSDs.

I bought this exact model new. Early 2011 model. Yes it will take 16GB of RAM. I also have a 240GB SSD and a 1TB on the superdrive bay.

I'm not willing to (downgrade) to the 2013 model because the 2013 has many limitations. 15" instead of 17" really blows the deal. No ability to upgrade the soldered in memory, no hard drive space and SSD upgrade issues. Overall you get locked into a non upgradeable 2013 model with a smaller display and limited storage capacity. Hope they bring back the 17".

scruzme13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scruzme13

Seems to be the first disposable computer of our era:

"Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082514/macbook-pro-retina-display-ifixit-teardown

stevematlbch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stevematlbch

Wife just bought a new 17 inch Dell. Windows 8. It's been here a week, I gave up after 30 minutes. She has been trying to use it and had someone come over that seems to understand W8, and show her stuff. But as of now she is debating sending it back (and going to a Mac) or springing for W7. W8 will sell more macs than Steve Jobs could have ever imagined. I am happy with my 3 year old W7 laptop, but when I have to move to a new os, it will be Mac. Point of story is, a PC with W8 cannot be compared to anything else out there. Try it and see.

metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg

These are great with photos and video. That's nice. It'd be nicer if that field of work actually paid at least minimum wage. I'm not sure 2 months of income is worth it.

soundxli

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soundxli

FC725LL/A Refurbished 17-inch MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel i7 Hi-Res GLOSSY 1920-by-1200 LED @ $1699 Apple website

G0M3BLL/A Refurbished 17-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz quad-core Intel i7 with Hi-Res ANTIGLARE (MATTE) 1920-by-1200 LED @ $1789 Apple website

Posted here for price comparison even through both are currently out of stock on the Apple website. You will get the same thing here cheaper that you would get on the Apple refurb website if it was available.

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
- Quality products/great prices
- Stringent refurbishment process prior to sale
- Covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty
- AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased
- Supplies are limited

Most people are not aware that you actually get two computers when you buy a Mac. They forget, or want to forget, that a Mac can run Windows via Bootcamp. And yes it is possible for you to get a virus on the Bootcamp Windows installation just like any PC. Also, buy and install Parallels Desktop for Mac and you can run Windows and Mac apps simultaneously if you want to without shutting down and restarting in one or the other OS.

I've used all the flavors of Windows OS out of necessity (at work), and all versions of Mac OS, and both Mac and Windows operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Just remember that a Mac is made, designed, and supported completely by Apple and you can walk into a store and get support. But you normally get support from a PC builder like Dell, HP, or Toshiba by phone, email, or chat when you have a question or issue.

And I agree with stevematlbch that Windows 8 is such a disaster that it will sell more Macs than Steve Jobs could have ever imagined.

gorbag

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gorbag

Well under 1k. How much does some sand and aluminum cost?

So the problem is you want it arranged in a certain way, and that will cost you. You can have it arranged by DELL instead, and that will cost you in different ways.

Yes, yes, Apple costs more. We're tired of hearing it. Mercedes costs more too. Go play with your Yugo.

xstevejx

quality posts: 4 Private Messages xstevejx

woot! should start a "refurbished!" section, what with all the refurbished crap they like to feature. They've really gone downhill since the Amazon overtake.

marceepauff

quality posts: 14 Private Messages marceepauff

If you're on the fence, just do it. You won't regret it.

lillauriec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lillauriec

Anybody know when this model was originally released? Is this 2012 model release?

soundxli

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soundxli
lillauriec wrote:Anybody know when this model was originally released? Is this 2012 model release?

Both are Early 2011 models released in February 24, 2011 and discontinued October 24, 2011. Click here for FC725LL/A details or click here for G0M3BLL/A. Apple made the last late 2011 17" MacBook Pro from Oct. 24, 2011 to June 11, 2012 but I've not seen these on woot! yet.