trentetmans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trentetmans

For the record, you Apple haters. There is a reason why Apple machines cost $$$. They are reliable and last a long time, 4to1 compared to windows computer. Not for gamers I admit but for professionals. Buy and try and you won't look back.

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20
carbonium wrote:For me it has NOTHING to do with image. I've never had mine viewable in public. I have 5 PC's and they are great for gaming but my 17" Macbook pro has made me 100's of times what I paid for it. No viruses, no Blue screen of death or crashes, no driver issues, 12 second reboots. Haven't even rebooted it in 4 months. Great intuitive interface that blows windows out of the water in just about every aspect.

Stay on a PC and loose money and or time due to lower productivity. If you've never owned a Mac then you'll have a hard time grasping the HUGE differences.

There's a reason why Apple is the largest company (Exxon might have 1# depending on the stock market) in the world. People that buy them are happy with them. When I use windows it not only feels second rate but it performs that way. Mac and Iphone are eroding Windows PC sales.

Finally, a sensible post. I see some derp in here, I'm not surprised. Widoze fanbois do it every time.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
efooter wrote:Glad you decided to compare apples to apples

Nice!

wootbert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootbert
antonios wrote:what the hell, $112 tax?

Yep that's why I don't buy high priced items at woot anymore. It used to be tax free for me in NY, then Amazon took over and the tax perk was history.

Last time I bought the item on sale at newegg.com which was more pricey at base price but it was cheaper after tax and usually comes with free shipping.

And after tax this unit which is over 2 years old isn't a saving at all.

gak0090

trentetmans wrote:For the record, you Apple haters. There is a reason why Apple machines cost $$$. They are reliable and last a long time, 4to1 compared to windows computer. Not for gamers I admit but for professionals. Buy and try and you won't look back.

What professionals regularly use Mac OS besides artists and musicians? I have yet to work in a health system that uses Mac OS. I have an IMac, and it's a great toy, but I still do all my real work on a PC. I don't know about this whole reliability thing, because I have never had an issue. If you need to upgrade, a windows PC is much easier to upgrade. Then you have the fact that Mac Os sill doesn't officially support Blu-ray, no USB 3.0 or esata, HDMI out. If you are a hobbyist, it's much easier to build a windows pc and configure it exactly as you like- how easy is that with Mac OS? A Mac OS user is less likely to be attacked than a Windows user, but that is nothing to do with the level of vulnerability in the operating system. It has everything to do with the fact that over 80% of the personal computers in use run the Microsoft Windows operating system. Those building malware would rather attack the vast majority of the users. They get a bigger bang for their buck, to borrow a phrase from the military. http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/10/macs-safer-than-pcs/

Tegeril

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Tegeril
scruzme13 wrote:Seems to be the first disposable computer of our era:

"Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/13/3082514/macbook-pro-retina-display-ifixit-teardown

This is not that computer.

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
trentetmans wrote:For the record, you Apple haters. There is a reason why Apple machines cost $$$. They are reliable and last a long time, 4to1 compared to windows computer. Not for gamers I admit but for professionals. Buy and try and you won't look back.

Yep, many professionals including software engineers at Google all use Macs. This was a recent photo I took at Google HQ after some interns had to return their loaners. There is a reason why companies like Facebook and Google use Macs.

ibexscribe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ibexscribe

I have never had as many problems with hardware failures on any Windows PC (desktop or laptop) as I did with my macbook, which is relegated for use only as a DVD player by my exercise bike. When it finally got to the point where it was more hassle than it was worth, I bought another Windows laptop and haven't looked back. I would be extremely reluctant to spend the kind of money Apple charges for their products after that experience. I happen to have both android and iphone in my possession right now (for daily use - one personal and one work) and greatly prefer the android. It fits me better.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost
jeffiekins wrote:This thing is awesome. A guy I work with has it.

Just upgrade it to 8 Gb of RAM ($50 at Newegg or Crucial) and it'll handle anything you can possibly throw at it.

Photoshop, an IDE and web server and database all at the same time, and it just won't slow down.

It even sounds good. Seriously. It's a huge upgrade from my 2-core 13" one.

And it's something like $1000 less than the new one (with an SSD the same size).

So you're saying I should spend $1,600 on a computer that isn't new and even after all that money, I need to spend MORE money on it? LOL :o)

stratomaster152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stratomaster152
schrody wrote:A refurb... and it's "only" $1600?

Amazing tht anyone has that kinda money to spend on what should be under $1k worth of hardware but for the brand.

OTOH, people overpay for fashion clothing and shoes all the time, so why not on fashion computers.

LOL - I'm pretty sure that you get the Mac OS and iLife along with the hardware. That's what makes it worth the premium, not the "brand".

We all know that if the Mac came with Windows (instead of Mac OS), nobody would buy it. Apple's hardware design is a bonus, not the main attraction.

IMHO, most people who buy expensive clothing do it to impress others, most people who buy Macs do it to impress themselves.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost
gak0090 wrote:[quote postid="5497335" user="trentetmans"]For the record, you Apple haters. There is a reason why Apple machines cost $$$. They are reliable and last a long time, 4to1 compared to windows computer. Not for gamers I admit but for professionals. Buy and try and you won

You have got to be kidding. Apples are hard to network and the only real advantage for business they had was they were hardier than Windows, well the used to be. But no Windows is just as forgiving.

And if you want customization you can use Linux. I worked with Macs and one reason I left the job was I was advanced in Macs but I found out if I got fired or laid off, I'd have a skill virtually no business used. Business used Windows or Linux. My personal machines are Windows and one Linux install and my computers are as strong now as day one.

sevenemra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevenemra

It has a pretty good graphics card, but it sucks that you can't play all games with it because some games are only windows.

pschoggens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pschoggens

I own a 15" MBP os X, got it 4 yrs ago used from a professional who was upgrading, and loved it's speed in the beginning, but as time went on, and after the AppleCare ran out, started to get the dreaded pinwheel, but very few crashes. Eventually the intergraded video card failed on the motherboard and would cost bookoo bucks to fix. The only way to use it now is the second video card for the external monitor, so it collects dust now. I went back to my old 13" ThinkPad from 2003 which still works today. Eventually got a new woot 15" ThinkPad, for 500bucks. The old ThinkPad is used to hold FSM and parts info for my jeep and take it with me four wheeling.

My question is simple, if this model Mac is so great, why are there 1000's of refurbished units available for resale?

Not a MAC hater, just a little iffy about paying the big bucks for a short (3yr) guarantee if you get the AppleCare.

:P

gak0090

EricPost wrote:You have got to be kidding. Apples are hard to network and the only real advantage for business they had was they were hardier than Windows, well the used to be. But no Windows is just as forgiving.

And if you want customization you can use Linux. I worked with Macs and one reason I left the job was I was advanced in Macs but I found out if I got fired or laid off, I'd have a skill virtually no business used. Business used Windows or Linux. My personal machines are Windows and one Linux install and my computers are as strong now as day one.

EricPost - that wasn't my original comment- I was responding to that comment, and I accidentally erased my answer- LOL, I'm an Goobers, but if you go back you can see I revised it. I totally agree with you.

sevenemra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sevenemra

Ya, but if your replace parts on the mac, it's gonna cost you as much as a new windows computer. I had a macbook pro only for 1 year, when it fell and the hard drive broke. And I didn't fix it because of its $1000 cost.

pksings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pksings
ElGuappo wrote:So the 12 year old Dell I still use with my engine diagnostic tools is an anomaly? I think not and I paid $50 on craigslist for it....

Yes, it is...
I am related to someone who repairs Dells,
I use a Macbook.....

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
EricPost wrote:You have got to be kidding. Apples are hard to network and the only real advantage for business they had was they were hardier than Windows, well the used to be. But no Windows is just as forgiving.

I have no idea what you people are smoking. I've been forced to use WinXP for many years, hated every second, the damn thing can't even switch between apps the same way every time. Finally just got upgraded to a Win7 box and it has different issues with switching. And they destroyed the ONE app that they had actually done well before, Windows Explorer. My god, how do you Win people handle this? About 10 times a day I have to control myself from smashing the thing to bits.

Also, Macs network just fine. Plug 'em in. Now, iTunes has some networking issues, specifically, I'll grant you that.

xstevejx wrote:woot! should start a "refurbished!" section, what with all the refurbished crap they like to feature. They've really gone downhill since the Amazon overtake.

You must be kidding. woot! used to be nothing but refurbs before Amazon. I'm not saying I'm all that happy with the current woot!, but your statement is not the issue.

eggrob

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eggrob

Sure enough, Woot puts up a Mac and reignites the ancient feud.

But comments about these particular Macs by people who have clues and aren't in a fighting mood are helpful for folks considering this purchase -- so those are allowed too.

Thanks.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo
honeybadger12 wrote:Way to hit the nail on the head. Completely mind-blowing that anyone would pay $1500+ for a refurbished laptop. This one is for the people who are desperate for image.

Apple computers are so ridiculously overpriced. Brand new, maybe....but forget refurbished.

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20
ibexscribe wrote:I have never had as many problems with hardware failures on any Windows PC (desktop or laptop) as I did with my macbook, which is relegated for use only as a DVD player by my exercise bike. When it finally got to the point where it was more hassle than it was worth, I bought another Windows laptop and haven't looked back. I would be extremely reluctant to spend the kind of money Apple charges for their products after that experience. I happen to have both android and iphone in my possession right now (for daily use - one personal and one work) and greatly prefer the android. It fits me better.

So what you're saying is you don't know how to use a Mac.

Gotcha.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

chgo

Reliable? Why then are there so many refurbs for sale?

chgo

sevenemra wrote:Ya, but if your replace parts on the mac, it's gonna cost you as much as a new windows computer. I had a macbook pro only for 1 year, when it fell and the hard drive broke. And I didn't fix it because of its $1000 cost.

Wow!

chgo

EricPost wrote:So you're saying I should spend $1,600 on a computer that isn't new and even after all that money, I need to spend MORE money on it? LOL :o)

Right!

chgo

pschoggens wrote:I own a 15" MBP os X, got it 4 yrs ago used from a professional who was upgrading, and loved it's speed in the beginning, but as time went on, and after the AppleCare ran out, started to get the dreaded pinwheel, but very few crashes. Eventually the intergraded video card failed on the motherboard and would cost bookoo bucks to fix. The only way to use it now is the second video card for the external monitor, so it collects dust now. I went back to my old 13" ThinkPad from 2003 which still works today. Eventually got a new woot 15" ThinkPad, for 500bucks. The old ThinkPad is used to hold FSM and parts info for my jeep and take it with me four wheeling.

My question is simple, if this model Mac is so great, why are there 1000's of refurbished units available for resale?

Not a MAC hater, just a little iffy about paying the big bucks for a short (3yr) guarantee if you get the AppleCare.

:P

Apple is over rated.

hydrotheace

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hydrotheace

Sigh.... another day, another Mac/PC argument. I guess I've never understood the debate, I've owned both and have made my decision on based on what I need/want vs. cost/reliability. I use PC's, mostly for the idea that I can build, maintain, and repair my own rig without having to pay someone else a ridiculous amount of money to do it for me.

That being said, Apple provides a good product tends to outlast its counterparts. Apple charges what it knows it can get, that's the market.

In my experience, when it comes to laptops, the hardware and software doesn't vary much. What really makes the difference is how well the person takes care of their machine(s).

engineire

quality posts: 5 Private Messages engineire
soundxli wrote:Both are Early 2011 models released in February 24, 2011 and discontinued October 24, 2011. Click here for FC725LL/A details or click here for G0M3BLL/A. Apple made the last late 2011 17" MacBook Pro from Oct. 24, 2011 to June 11, 2012 but I've not seen these on woot! yet.

Perfectly said and I will wait for that last generation 2.5 GHz late 2011 model to show up on Woot and hopefully snag one. Now that's a screaming machine !

michael2255

quality posts: 5 Private Messages michael2255

My friends with MacBooks get them for reliability, not image. I used to feel the same about Apple until I grew up and got a real job. I'm still in the PC camp because I have been on the platform for 30 years.

Next these cheap, jobless wonders will go on to the app boards and complain how the 99 cent app didnt do the 12 other functions they wanted and thus was a total ripoff.

amaliazacher wrote:Very helpful/useful info, GreatJorge! Thanks. I think I'm gonna get me one, despite the lack of Snow Leopard. :-p

(BTW, I'm not doing it for the label, guys! I'm probably not as nerdy as some on this site, but I did graduate from a nerdy Tech college and owned/used PCs only for 15+ years, then got tired of them crashing and bugging out and got a MacBook in 2009 -- I think maybe it's crashed once in 4+ years! I love it.)

soltouchedx1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soltouchedx1

G0M3BLL/A ... is anyone a photographer and use this model? How do you like it?

rntonp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rntonp
mm20 wrote:Finally, a sensible post. I see some derp in here, I'm not surprised. Widoze fanbois do it every time.

I agree with your post. I have several PCs but of course am typing this response from my iPad. The only thing I'll say neg about Mac is they better watch out for Samsung, because my wife just exchanged her iPhone 4S for galaxy S4 and she loves it MUCH more. Lets imagine what the next Samsung Galaxy Pad will do towards Mac sales. Cheers!

rntonp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rntonp

Dear lord, please infect my windows laptops with a catastrophic virus so my wife will understand that I MUST get a new laptop and allow me to purchase this Sweet Jesus of a machine. Thank you for your time, Lord.

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

I agree, most of these "haters" probably can't afford a quality computer like a mac, so they resort to basing them without even trying them. As I always say... Once you go MAC, you NEVER go back!!!

gak0090

bigray57 wrote:I agree, most of these "haters" probably can't afford a quality computer like a mac, so they resort to basing them without even trying them. As I always say... Once you go MAC, you NEVER go back!!!

Yeah- I don't think money is a problem for me, and I own a Mac. It's fine as a toy but not that impressive when it comes to productivity. What good is a system that last you 10 years? At the rate hardware is progressing your 10 year old Mac is basically a big pretty paper weight. Apple is great at selling people on what they consider is the best. If your choice is lack of options then stick with Apple it's a perfect fit. There are niches for Mac-os with regards to music and art where that OS interacts marginally better with those programs, but gaming and productivity is still owned by Windows. Linux is also creeping up, and it might not belong before they over take both Windows and Mac OS for personal computing - they already dominate the server world.

michael2255

Attorneys use Macs. They use parallels or whatever to run the windows stuff. We also really don't care about HDMI out, Blu Ray and the hell if we are going to build our own PC to the exact specs we want. We word process, research, email, bill, use spreadsheets, and use calendaring. Yes, I could do that with a Pentium 2 but DDR3 Sims are easier to find than DDR.

gak0090 wrote:What professionals regularly use Mac OS besides artists and musicians? I have yet to work in a health system that uses Mac OS. I have an IMac, and it's a great toy, but I still do all my real work on a PC. I don't know about this whole reliability thing, because I have never had an issue. If you need to upgrade, a windows PC is much easier to upgrade. Then you have the fact that Mac Os sill doesn't officially support Blu-ray, no USB 3.0 or esata, HDMI out. If you are a hobbyist, it's much easier to build a windows pc and configure it exactly as you like- how easy is that with Mac OS? A Mac OS user is less likely to be attacked than a Windows user, but that is nothing to do with the level of vulnerability in the operating system. It has everything to do with the fact that over 80% of the personal computers in use run the Microsoft Windows operating system. Those building malware would rather attack the vast majority of the users. They get a bigger bang for their buck, to borrow a phrase from the military. http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/10/macs-safer-than-pcs/

kevinwangjiakan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan
gak0090 wrote:What professionals regularly use Mac OS besides artists and musicians? I have yet to work in a health system that uses Mac OS. I have an IMac, and it's a great toy, but I still do all my real work on a PC. I don't know about this whole reliability thing, because I have never had an issue. If you need to upgrade, a windows PC is much easier to upgrade. Then you have the fact that Mac Os sill doesn't officially support Blu-ray, no USB 3.0 or esata, HDMI out. If you are a hobbyist, it's much easier to build a windows pc and configure it exactly as you like- how easy is that with Mac OS? A Mac OS user is less likely to be attacked than a Windows user, but that is nothing to do with the level of vulnerability in the operating system. It has everything to do with the fact that over 80% of the personal computers in use run the Microsoft Windows operating system. Those building malware would rather attack the vast majority of the users. They get a bigger bang for their buck, to borrow a phrase from the military. http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/10/macs-safer-than-pcs/

The professionals who know computers the best, Software Engineers. As I stated in my earlier post, most engineers at Google and Facebook, who are probably the best in the world, use Macbooks as their work laptop. They don't care about nice clothes or fancy cars, but they do want to own great machines on which they spend 50+ hours a week on.

Two main reasons why many professionals do not use Mac:

1) The softwares needed are not always available on Macs. It is expensive for small companies to develop on both platforms, so very often they choose to start on Windows to maximize returns on their investment. For example in my physics class in college we had to use a software only available on Windows, I remember having to go to the lab every time I needed to use that software because I owned a Mac.

2) Budget - when you don't have enough budget you focus on functionalities, a working computer, when you do you look at other stuff, reliability, portability, the look, OS, and etc.

fredo_c

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fredo_c

OK, all posturing aside:

-- These are two-year-old computers with unknown users histories. (Massive corporate lease? Unsold stock? Warehouse filler that didn't sell through the factory outlet and needs to get off the books?)

-- All have factory refurbishment and same guarantee as a new model.

-- Price is 65%-70% (roughly) of model when offered brand-new at the local Apple Store.

-- 750GB hard drive, which is OK but not especially terrific when looking at 2013 computers.

-- A whole mess of folks in the cheap/refurb market seem to be selling these particular models.

As an old-time cheapskate and bargain aficionado, there seems to be value here, although paying two-thirds of the MRP for two-year old, used-but-reconditioned machines seems a stretch.

The fact that Wooters are debating over a hundred bucks difference here and there on prices for these machines at various outlets is also ringing a faint, but often telling, alarm bell. Apple is a fairly exclusive brand that regularly controls its sales channel of new and refurb equipment, and seeing a bunch of the same models on the market -- pretty much at the same time -- sounds like a lot are going out the door in a hasty sweep.

It's somewhat of a coin flip as to whether these are really good deals or products with good names but some murky backgrounds. These may be a not-bad investment, but certainly not the type of bargains we used to get from Woot.

efooter

quality posts: 18 Private Messages efooter

That's right, my macbook pro hasn't come out of the bag for more than a year. I'm still using my "garbage" windows computers.

The $1400 paperweight...

winterrunner5000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winterrunner5000

Macs are also the most popular personal computer at CERN, for the scientists who, among other things, discovered the Higgs boson. If you walk through the cafeteria, well over half of the computers will be Macs, many will be Linux, and almost none will be Windows. A Macbook Pro is a good Linux machine that is guaranteed to work; I'd guess that this is the reason OSX is such a popular OS for programmers. I don't have much patience for fiddling with drivers in Ubuntu, and using a Windows machine requires third-party utilities like Putty to emulate command line functionality for things like SSH and svn/git. The tradeoff is, obviously, cost; however, the high output demanded in an academic environment doesn't leave much time to deal with an inferior computer just to save a few bucks.

gak0090

kevinwangjiakan wrote:The professionals who know computers the best, Software Engineers. As I stated in my earlier post, most engineers at Google and Facebook, who are probably the best in the world, use Macbooks as their work laptop. They don't care about nice clothes or fancy cars, but they do want to own great machines on which they spend 50+ hours a week on.

Since Google and Apple are so tight...right. I'm sure all those same Google employees have Iphones and Ipads too.

There is nothing magical about the hardware or software that Apple uses. If you prefer it fine. If the programs/apps you use tend to favor Apple OS- I can understand it. More programs, more options, more configurability is on the windows side. The durability is a moot point- even though my windows devices last 10+ years- who cares! With the rapid evolution of hardware and software - it's silly to invest that. For $1600- lets say I keep this Mac Book for 6 years. It's outdated in 3 years. The same investment gets you 2 windows laptops with similar specs- so you upgrade in 3 years. Not because you have to- but because you want to.

I don't hate Apple- I just hate the posers. Yeah- you know who you are.

michael2255

Apple Haters vs Windows Haters are the same as Ford Truck Haters vs Chevy Truck Haters. You just eat in different cafeterias.

gak0090

I guess someone didn't like my Cern cafeteria comment. I was sure that would earn me a quality post.