WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! It's mid-July, which means everyone has made their decision. Some people are well into vacation, and some people have at last locked down that summer job. This week we've got five songs that celebrate the working week. Don't worry, grown-ups, they cover your nine to five lifestyle too.

Sam Cooke - Chain Gang

The magic of this song is how, like all real songs, it's handed down from generation to generation. The old guy who never got a promotion sings it while stacking boxes, and the new kid picks it up as a cheeky protest the first time he doesn't get a raise. One day, the roles flip, and there's a newer new kid to learn the tune. Also, it doesn't hurt that Sam Cooke has a great voice.

Clock in and we'll see you after the jump. And don't dawdle! There's work to do!

The job isn't always a negative thing though. Sometimes working hard can pay off big.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Taking Care Of Business

Yeah, you knew it was coming. This 1970s working-class classic brings you 100% of your daily requirement of rock. Fuzzy guitar, a beat you can stomp to, and vaguely sexual metaphor regarding a nine-to-fiver. Bob Seger wishes this was one of his.

Rush - Working Man

Hey, working class rock isn't just an American thing, either. The roots of pop-metal brush against Rush over and over again, and this tribute to an average Joe who gets off work just wanting a cold beer and a cool jukebox proves that our neighbors to the North aren't much different than we are, really. And also, they can sometimes rock much harder.

DEVO - Working In A Coal Mine

We here at Woot have a deep love for DEVO but don't think that influenced our decision here today. The truth is, this cover captures just the right feeling of professionally mandated joy in the face of hard labor. Sometimes being a professional means you just have to smile and do what you're told. It's either that, or quit, right?

Bob Dylan - Maggie's Farm

Hey, the employee might not have many options, but there's always one big one. If the owner's mean, the co-workers are jerks, the chickens are rude and the brother of the cashier keeps showing up to borrow from the till… just quit! But maybe make sure you have a second job lined up before you leave the first. It's only common sense.

Of course you're all welcome to go and work itin our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy
"9 to 5" by Dolly Parton

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

"Salesman" from the The Monkees

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall

One from the Wirral....

probably more to come later.

e1hillma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages e1hillma

How about "16 Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford or "Take This Job and Shove It!" by Johnny Paycheck?

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen

CatCK's choice of Salesman reminded me of Pink Floyd's paean to that most terrible of jobs in Dogs:

Then I thought, here's my big chance to post XTC's song about unemployment, Leisure

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

Some Grateful Dead job songs:

• Beat It On Down the Line (Jesse Fuller Cover)
  • Sawmill (Mel Tillis cover)
  • Keep Your Day Job (GD original)

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

Huey Lewis and the News Workin for a Livin

The video is awesomely cheesy.

1starfish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1starfish

I have a few here:
Blue Collar Man by Styx and Workin' For MCA by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

(As usual, most of my favorites have been taken already)

Manic Monday - The Bangles (Especially appropriate today)

Proud Mary - Performed by Ike/Tina but also covered by CCR

Unexpected - Sprung Monkey
(Not REALLY about work, but there's a line or two in there.)

Ghost Opera - Kamelot
(In theory - IN THEORY - it's a flashback to a woman's history when she was an opera singer. The album gets WAY darker from there.)

Space Junk - Rhett and Link
("Livin' the Cosmic Custodial Life...")

Re: Your Brains - Jonathan Coulton (Office life - With Zombies! the ASL version is BRILLIANT.)

Still Alive - Jonathan Coulton - the Acoustic version as sung by JoCo is epic, too.

aND THE STANDARD...
Code Monkey - Jonathan Coulton

~_~_~_~_~

My hubby has an EP from one of his friends, but I don't even know if the CD still works anymore. There's a song on it that has a hook of "I Gotta Get Payyyed" which was always a payday earworm. The artist was Xeuce, but who knows what his new stage name is, or even if he's still alive...

The right title, the wrong song. Same spirit.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The whole plot of "How to Succeed in Business without really trying" is strung together by "at your job" songs.

~*~*~*~*~*~

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Dire Straits - "Money for Nothing"

Glen Campbell - "Wichita Lineman"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

mossygreen

Being paid implies having worked, yes?

Including the Rapeman cover because it came to mind first (curse you, high school boyfriend who tried to get me into Steve Albini!):

CatCK

LarryLars wrote:Glen Campbell - "Wichita Lineman"

One of my favorite songs of all time.

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

Surprised nobody's posted John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" yet.

bradw76

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bradw76

Oh, Johnny Cash has so many good ones. The first two are from his album "Blood Sweat and Tears" all about working men.

The Legend of John Henry's Hammer -- eight and a half minutes long, and worth every second

Casey Jones

Wreck of the Old 97

One Piece at a Time

pute

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pute

GET A JOB!

mossygreen

CatCK wrote:One of my favorite songs of all time.

The best version, of course, is from Newsradio

Man, I really hope this is the right clip because I haven't watched it in a long time, and came to a public computer without headphones, so this should, but may not, feature a tape recording of Dave singing. If it isn't, I will fix it later.

CatCK

mossygreen wrote:The best version, of course, is from Newsradio

Man, I really hope this is the right clip because I haven't watched it in a long time, and came to a public computer without headphones, so this should, but may not, feature a tape recording of Dave singing. If it isn't, I will fix it later.

Looks like it would have been, if the clip lasted longer. I loved News Radio.

dougall

a little from the Jam

and something from the pet shop boys, with a little more optimism.

mossygreen

CatCK wrote:Looks like it would have been, if the clip lasted longer. I loved News Radio.

Aw, damn it. Well, I'll fix it this weekend; that scene has to be somewhere.

NewsRadio was four seasons of perfection. Well, three, because the first short season suffers (only in comparison) from Jimmy James not being written expressly for Stephen Root.

dougall

Surely cleaning windows counts as a profession...

olcubmaster

quality posts: 29 Private Messages olcubmaster

Working all week? Here Comes the Weekend

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

CatCK

FORGET WORK ... IT'S THE WEEKEND!