WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Remember that game you played as a kid (that we're not able to name directly for trademark reasons) where you'd fill in the blanks with nouns and adjectives and stuff? For this Woot-Off we're asking you, our loyal denizens, to help us craft some writeups in a similar fashion! It's called Woot-Libs, and it's sure to be an [egregious] time! 

The prize for participating in this stupid game is to get your word featured in a write-up later this week on Woot. THERE WILL BE NONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT WE SOMETIMES GIVE OUT. We did that last Friday for our birthday, remember?

OK, now that we've cleared that up, here's how you can play along:

• Products will show up throughout the Woot-Off with descriptions like this:
  • Woot-Lib!: [animal] Friday
  • The part in brackets is what we need from you. The first appropriate part of speech posted in the comment thread FOR THAT PRODUCT will be selected. Our moderators might stretch "appropriate" to mean "most original" on occasion.
  • The day in the description (Friday) tells you when you can look for your word to show up here on Woot.com. You don't need to include it in your answer. 

That's it! We'll be updating this blog post as we go to answer and questions and whatnot, so check back. This is just a silly way to get your username emblazoned on the halls of Woot fame -- it's not a serious contest. Have fun and [burp] hard!

Here's a running list of what words have been selected (and the user that provided them)

Quality Posts

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Yay! This'll be a [hoot]!

oh, wait...

EDIT:

Woot-Lib!: [Mitosis] Sunday

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 35 Private Messages dernst_ca1

Lol..

Woot-Lib!: [Secretive] Sunday

http://www.woot.com/offers/star-wars-at-at-snap-tite-model-kit-1

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

questionsanswered

quality posts: 1 Private Messages questionsanswered

Woot-Lib!: [type of global tragedy ] Sunday

Sharknado

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond

Could be fun

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Remember to post in the product thread for which the clue appears. We won't be looking here for your answers.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mossygreen

quality posts: 70 Private Messages mossygreen
ThunderThighs wrote:Remember to post in the product thread for which the clue appears. We won't be looking here for your answers.

The link to here under "It's woot-off time" does say "play along here." It could be phrased better, is all I'm saying.

This does sound like it could be a uselessly good time, though, so kudos and all that.

skemmis

quality posts: 11 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

Hey folks -- we're not going to be updating the spreadsheet through the wee hours, but keeping posting your 'libs in the product threads. We'll get to them all eventually.

mossygreen

Here is a question: is it one word per person as far as answers go, and also if our word is chosen? I mean, can I spend all day spamming the threads with random adjectives (well, of course I can, but is there a point where I shouldn't)? Also, is it OK if I post "masonic" once every single time, just like when I actually play Madlibs?

Tyrchon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tyrchon

Pelvis Sunday

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

If W were M and Woot! We're Moot! then mad-libs become wad-libs. Huzzah!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

So the mods are deleting the woot-lib comments on the product page. How will we know what words have already been submitted?

Also, everybody knows this game is just a way to fill time while the writers recover from their cake hangovers.

ThunderThighs

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:So the mods are deleting the woot-lib comments on the product page. How will we know what words have already been submitted?

Also, everybody knows this game is just a way to fill time while the writers recover from their cake hangovers.

No, we're not deleting them. Unless you post something truly disgusting, then yeah, we might.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Tyrchon wrote:Pelvis Sunday

Remember to answer in the product thread where the clue is given. That's the only way we know what clue you're answering.

bsmith1

ThunderThighs wrote:No, we're not deleting them. Unless you post something truly disgusting, then yeah, we might.

Ok. Mine and some other posts vanished from this product. If not via mod, then someone is hacking!

ThunderThighs

Staff

bsmith1 wrote:Ok. Mine and some other posts vanished from this product. If not via mod, then someone is hacking!

Whoops. Looks like one of our volunteers didn't get the memo. I'll let everyone know. Sorry about that.

PS: Looks like that was the only thread where posts were deleted that I can tell. We should be good now.

bsmith1

Pro tip: Don't put "ing" on the end of your verb unless it's asking for a gerund.
Example:
Verb = row
Gerund = rowing

bikerguy7

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bikerguy7

I really, really, really, wish there was a separate thread for these. I understand the idea behind it but every single product discussion is seriously bogged down with this crap.
You took a perfectly good Woot-Off and made it convoluted and full of spam.

bsmith1

bikerguy7 wrote:I really, really, really, wish there was a separate thread for these. I understand the idea behind it but every single product discussion is seriously bogged down with this crap.
You took a perfectly good Woot-Off and made it convoluted and full of spam.

It's a woot-off! You ain't got time to read comments, compare prices, or analyze specs. Just hit the buy button before you miss it! These comments take up less space than all the cat pictures that used to get posted during woot offs.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

worst woot-off theme ever.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

Never mind...reading is fundamental.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

whatthefrack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whatthefrack

[Lohan-y] Day - checking in and checking out.

ceagee

quality posts: 61 Private Messages ceagee

Can we go back to an item after its sold out and add an answer ?

Need a ruling on this please.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ceagee wrote:Can we go back to an item after its sold out and add an answer ?

Need a ruling on this please.

have at it.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

mossygreen

Seriously: I have had a word chosen (hurray!); am I done now? Am I just cluttering the discussion with unusable verbiage?

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

YAY! I got picked! I am a chosen one!

Booger Face

mossygreen

hcsencsi wrote:YAY! I got picked! I am a chosen one!

Hurray!

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Rad! I got picked on the wireless headset!

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

ceagee

PemberDucky wrote:have at it.

well if people have been notified that they are "chosen " what's the point?
Where is the list of winners ?

Thank you

cycokiller

ceagee wrote:well if people have been notified that they are "chosen " what's the point?
Where is the list of winners ?

Thank you

Here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ap19MphrCWRAdGpSbWRESFV0N1ZHcHpldGFlaEFWVkE

cycokiller

mossygreen wrote:Seriously: I have had a word chosen (hurray!); am I done now? Am I just cluttering the discussion with unusable verbiage?

Yeah, that's the ruling on this? Is it possible to get your name on the list more than once if you just happen to be super-awesome?

ceagee

Score ! : )
Sunday :

"middle aged grail hunting archaeologists"

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

cycokiller wrote:Yeah, that's the ruling on this? Is it possible to get your name on the list more than once if you just happen to be super-awesome?

Yeah we try not to use the same user submissions over and over, but if you come up with kick arse awesome answers then...YES...

cycokiller

ROGETRAY wrote:Yeah we try not to use the same user submissions over and over, but if you come up with kick arse awesome answers then...YES...

Sour Patchin'.. I've got a Friday and Saturday. Just need to bag me a Sunday and Monday to finish it out. I'm on it.

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mibutterflywingz

I was first for more than one Woot- Off Woot-Lib. Has it just not been updated or did someone else win?

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mibutterflywingz
ROGETRAY wrote:Yeah we try not to use the same user submissions over and over, but if you come up with kick arse awesome answers then...YES...

Is that in just for the same person being the first submissions a few times in a row or is it in general?

That's somewhat unreasonable. I'd understand a limit of being the first submission say 2-3 times in a row but anything more than that (in a row) won't be counted. It should also be in the rules.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 11 Private Messages mdrcoast

You know what be nice? Product discussion with the products. Nah, this is more fun.

cycokiller

mibutterflywingz wrote:I was first for more than one Woot- Off Woot-Lib. Has it just not been updated or did someone else win?

I believe this is the answer to your question: "The first appropriate part of speech posted in the comment thread FOR THAT PRODUCT will be selected. Our moderators might stretch "appropriate" to mean "most original" on occasion."

Since there are no Bricks of Chocolate at stake with this one, if I were the woot! Godiva, I would have just told folks we'd pick the best one no matter who was first. And really, they basically left themselves a back-door to do that anyway.

odinswalkyrie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages odinswalkyrie

Woot-Lib!: [Fant-abulous] Friday

odinswalkyrie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages odinswalkyrie

Woot-Lib!: [Mugshot] Friday