WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP Laptops

We sell a lot of HP computers, but only every so often do we sell a bunch of them at the same time! Welcome to paradise, friends. May your shopping carts overfloweth with the sweet wine known as Hewlett Packard.
HP official site

greciandelight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greciandelight

Ehm, my sister bought the DV6-7229WM on Thursday (I found it for her on here) for $40 more than it's listed here from Moofi... What gives?

marshallram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages marshallram

I just bought the Beats dual core edition a few weeks ago. I know it is a laptop and am not expecting surround sound. However they toted how it had a built in subwoofer etc, beats audio etc. Well the audio sounds like any other laptop. That is when you have audio. After about 5 minutes all audio quit working. HP had me update, restore, reverse, delete, etc. A complete windows restoration got back cracking audio. HP finally said it was a characteristic of the laptop and there was nothing else they could do. I googled and found many others with the same issue and no resolution from HP. Shipped it back and will not buy HP again.

bdriesse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bdriesse
greciandelight wrote:Ehm, my sister bought the DV6-7229WM on Thursday (I found it for her on here) for $40 more than it's listed here from Moofi... What gives?

Uh, you expected the price on a clearance item to go UP over time?

Frequented deal sites: woot! | Amazon Gold Box | 13deals | dvor

meganj809

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meganj809

hey can anybody help me out? I've never owned an HP laptop before and need help choosing one of these! I am a college student who relies on Microsoft word, loves iTunes and quite frankly needs it to run on my computer, and needs a lot of storage for music and documents. I'm not sure whether I need a dual core vs a quad core. or windows 7 vs windows 8. please help!!
thank you!!

patootie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patootie

Does anyone know if my son could play Minecraft on the 15.6" Dual-Core Laptop without a lot of lag? Thanks in advance for any help...

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
meganj809 wrote:hey can anybody help me out? I've never owned an HP laptop before and need help choosing one of these! I am a college student who relies on Microsoft word, loves iTunes and quite frankly needs it to run on my computer, and needs a lot of storage for music and documents. I'm not sure whether I need a dual core vs a quad core. or windows 7 vs windows 8. please help!!
thank you!!

Pretty much any of these computers can run word and itunes without much difficulty. I bought the folio which I am pretty happy with but it does not have much storage like you want (although it does have an SSD FTW). The "beats" laptop is probably the best all-around edition, but you pay for it.

Windows 8 and Windows 7 doesnt really matter assuming you are not playing any hardcore video games (which I would not recommend on any of these computers). Windows 7 isn't going anywhere fast so it will be supported throughout your college career no problem. But so will windows 8 (even though it is getting a lot of flak). I don't think there are any performance improvements between the two (not an expert though). I think the main difference is the interface, and it doesn't look like it became lightweight...

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
patootie wrote:Does anyone know if my son could play Minecraft on the 15.6" Dual-Core Laptop without a lot of lag? Thanks in advance for any help...

Here are the Hardware Requirements for Minecraft:

Most players worldwide would play them in Windows operating system accordingly the basic system requirements should be as follows:

At least 1.4 Ghz of processor speed,
1GB of free hard drive space,
2GB RAM, Windows vista,
7 or XP and 512MB of video memory.

According to this the processor is a bit under in terms of clock speed...

countdown

patootie wrote:Does anyone know if my son could play Minecraft on the 15.6" Dual-Core Laptop without a lot of lag? Thanks in advance for any help...

Looks like it would be manageable, but not perfect. Here are the system requirements for minecraft.

Looks like the processors and RAM are fine but the GPU (Graphics card) is below the recommended requirements while still meeting the minimum. So they would have to turn down some graphics settings to avoid graphic lag, but in theory it should be playable without a lot of frustration (I don't own/play it so I cant comment first hand). One thing with a laptop is you have to make an extra effort to keep it cool. So I would recommend getting a cooling pad of some sort. When they heat up they slow down big time to avoid overheating. To give you an perspective, my desktop PC has a heat sink so huge I can't even close my case its over 120mm cubed - how can a laptop compete with that kind of cooling - get a cooling pad.

greciandelight

bdriesse wrote:Uh, you expected the price on a clearance item to go UP over time?

No, but I didn't expect it to drop $40 in just a few days.

redbeard25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redbeard25

Just bought the Folio 13. Am I nuts, or is this a great deal? It was an $800 lappy when it was at Wally World. Of course, the i3 is slow, but the 128GB SSD should make up for it, and is worth $100 right off the top. I'm the kind of person that if I bought any of the other laptops, I'd pull the drive and put an SSD in, so for the lack of hassle, it's worth it to me.

acroman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acroman
meganj809 wrote:hey can anybody help me out? I've never owned an HP laptop before and need help choosing one of these! I am a college student who relies on Microsoft word, loves iTunes and quite frankly needs it to run on my computer, and needs a lot of storage for music and documents. I'm not sure whether I need a dual core vs a quad core. or windows 7 vs windows 8. please help!!
thank you!!

Given what you want it for the
HP Pavilion G6-2249WM Laptop, 15.6” HD BrightView LED, AMD A6-4400M Dual-Core 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3, 750GB SATA, HDMI, Radeon HD 7520G, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Win 8
That is listed for $329 is a good deal. the harddrive is plenty big enough and with bluetooth capability you can be connected to your smartphone.

countdown

redbeard25 wrote:Just bought the Folio 13. Am I nuts, or is this a great deal? It was an $800 lappy when it was at Wally World. Of course, the i3 is slow, but the 128GB SSD should make up for it, and is worth $100 right off the top. I'm the kind of person that if I bought any of the other laptops, I'd pull the drive and put an SSD in, so for the lack of hassle, it's worth it to me.

its a solid deal. I got it last time it was up. Very happy with it. I recommend wiping the recovery partition right away if that doesn't intimidate you. You can download a copy of windows 7 home from microsoft without all the bloatware and use the product key which is on a sticker on the back. The only problem is you have to go to HP's website and download and install the drivers for internet/bluetooth/other hardware but they are all one one really convenient site. I found it to be a snap. No bloatware and I have my whole SSD available to work with now.

dsrtwman66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsrtwman66

My daughter needs a machine that will handle high-end graphics and music, as she's a musician producing her own CD. Do any of these laptops fulfill that requirement?

countdown

dsrtwman66 wrote:My daughter needs a machine that will handle high-end graphics and music, as she's a musician producing her own CD. Do any of these laptops fulfill that requirement?

Not really. But that is hard to answer without knowing the specific programs they plan on using.

That said, none of these computers is really what I would call a performance machine. They are work horses, reliable internet surfers that can run microsoft office and adobe PDF reader.

As much as I truly despise Apple, their products are incredibly marketed towards artistic production. Every musician I know uses apple products, which is sad, but if they knew as much about computers as I did, they probably wouldn't be very talented at music, so whatever.

Apple isn't your only choice, but its the popular one. If you want to go with windows, that would be cool, but these specific laptops would not be the way to go IMO. Particularly for the graphics requirement, I would be curious why a musician would need good graphics, but assuming that is the case then definitely none of these are for you. Not a single one can handle even a mediocre game at anything other than mediocre settings.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

I currently use an HP Pavilion dm4 with an i5. Anyone know how the dual-core AMD A6-4400M would compare? (considering the one with the butterflies, mostly because the similar plain one is sold out) Other specs look fairly similar to what I have. I broke the hinge and the plastic casing around the screen on mine. Still works, but I can't close the lid.

07/11/14

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
caramelarrow wrote:I currently use an HP Pavilion dm4 with an i5. Anyone know how the dual-core AMD A6-4400M would compare?

Depends what you use it for. In terms of straight CPU performance, something like an i5-2430m is quite a bit faster than an A6-4400m. What most typical users are waiting on these days tends to be their internet connection, and then the hard drive though. The CPU doesn't get that much of a workout unless you play games, etc.

On a side note, just replacing the hard drive with an SSD, reinstalling the OS, and upgrading the RAM can often turn an old clunker into a machine that feels very fast in day-to-day use (even at 4+ years old in some cases).

Anyway, you might be just fine with an A6 if you don't do much CPU-intensive work, but if it were me, I'd probably repair the dm4. If it's the actual hinge that broke, those can be found cheap on auction sites (just have to be sure to get the right part for the specific model number) but the installation would require someone who is very familiar with disassembling laptops. It's not something the average person would want to attempt just by looking at the repair manual online. If it needs a new top cover as well those might be a little harder to find cheap but probably still out there.

Then again, it's only 279.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow
kmartind wrote:Depends what you use it for.

SNIP

Then again, it's only 279.

Thanks for the info! I think I'm just an average user, nothing fancy. I thought about repairing this one, but it's too much for me to try. If it was just the hinge that would be one thing, but the frame is a mess (don't accidentally push your laptop off a kitchen counter!) And, as you said, it's only 279 so I went ahead and got it (probably less than a repair bill would be). This one can still be used, I guess, like a desktop of sorts, but I can't take it anywhere and that's the beauty of a 14" laptop.
Thanks again for the help.

07/11/14

tilde

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tilde
Buy Microsoft® Office 2010 to activate a full-featured Office suite preloaded on this PC

Can one even buy that any more? I don't see this as an option on Microsoft.com.

greciandelight

greciandelight wrote:No, but I didn't expect it to drop $40 in just a few days.

So I sent an e-mail for my sister to see if anything could be done, and this is what she got back:

Hello [_______],
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.

A $40 refund for the price difference has been issued back to your original payment method. The refund should appear within a few business days.

Woot Member Services,

Daniel

This is [one of the reasons] why I love woot.

greciandelight

Also, her laptop came in today and it looks brand new. There's not a scratch on it nor a dead pixel, which is impressive for a refurbished product. Windows 8 is a bit funky, but that's no fault of the laptop itself, and it's not even as bad as I thought it would be. So far, she's happy with her purchase and I feel a bit more at ease about recommending it to her now.

sonataofashes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonataofashes
tilde wrote:Can one even buy that any more? I don't see this as an option on Microsoft.com.

You can get a key online still, I've had good luck with softwareking.com

sz911boy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sz911boy

I order the HP Folio 13. It still show shipping now. Anyone ordered has shipped?
It say Referb, not sure will it like new?

redbeard25

countdown wrote:its a solid deal. I got it last time it was up. Very happy with it. I recommend wiping the recovery partition right away if that doesn't intimidate you. You can download a copy of windows 7 home from microsoft without all the bloatware and use the product key which is on a sticker on the back. The only problem is you have to go to HP's website and download and install the drivers for internet/bluetooth/other hardware but they are all one one really convenient site. I found it to be a snap. No bloatware and I have my whole SSD available to work with now.

Thanks for the tip. I thought I'd use "decrapify" to take care of bloatware.

tilde

sonataofashes wrote:You can get a key online still, I've had good luck with softwareking.com

What if I go the other way? I have a legal unused version of Office 2007; will the demo version of 2010 screw it up and not allow me to install 2007?

GCoughlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GCoughlin

Is there any extended warrantee available?

countdown

redbeard25 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I thought I'd use "decrapify" to take care of bloatware.

Nice, haven't heard of that tool, I'll have to keep it in mind. I probably would prefer to do the clean install, just to minimize potential noise though.

Reminds me though, and other people might find this useful, but there is an awesome tool called ninite. It is just a batch installer for the main common programs most people install on a new system. Select what you want, download run and forget, unbelievably convenient. I am sure I am late to discover it, a friend told me about it when I got my folio.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, you may have noticed that we dropped the price on some of these beasts. If you ordered prior to this change, no worries. That money will come flying back into your pockets real soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

amiee1997

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amiee1997
tilde wrote:Can one even buy that any more? I don't see this as an option on Microsoft.com.

I bought it back when. i have my key to activate it on new pc's

vibes4me

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vibes4me

I'd wait for ASUS to go on sale myself.

wickedgirl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wickedgirl
countdown wrote:Nice, haven't heard of that tool, I'll have to keep it in mind. I probably would prefer to do the clean install, just to minimize potential noise though.

Reminds me though, and other people might find this useful, but there is an awesome tool called ninite. It is just a batch installer for the main common programs most people install on a new system. Select what you want, download run and forget, unbelievably convenient. I am sure I am late to discover it, a friend told me about it when I got my folio.

Decrapify is pretty useless for real power users. I tried it one time, albeit several years ago. I found that a clean install of Windows did a much better job (of course) of giving me the clean PC that I wanted.

Samus

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Samus
wickedgirl wrote:Decrapify is pretty useless for real power users. I tried it one time, albeit several years ago. I found that a clean install of Windows did a much better job (of course) of giving me the clean PC that I wanted.

It's important that people understand the reason for the surplus of "refurbished" Folio 13's. Quite a few of the first generation models like the 1029 (anything pre-August 2012) have defective Fresco USB 3.0 controllers. HP tried to fix this with a software update but it just masks the problem. This will knock you down to one 2.0 USB port total.

Worst of all, HP is not repairing them out of warranty, so make sure you mess with it a LOT to make sure it works within that 90-day warranty window.

References (scroll to bottom)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Folio-13-2000-USB-Port-Issues/td-p/1479867

...or search Google for more details.

I also want to chime in that I have had customers who ordered the refurbished model from Walmart both complain about battery problems (stalls charging at 70%, doesn't hold a charge, etc) but the notebooks were otherwise in immaculate condition, kind of hinting that they could be a known-defective batch sold at a bargain price.

I love the Folio 13 and have dozens of clients with them, so I am intricately familiar with their reliability (which is overall good, they are tough)

But a word of advice. Do not damage the screen. The part is $330 alone, and pretty difficult to install unless you swap an entire bezel.

sz911boy

Samus wrote:It's important that people understand the reason for the surplus of "refurbished" Folio 13's. Quite a few of the first generation models like the 1029 (anything pre-August 2012) have defective Fresco USB 3.0 controllers. HP tried to fix this with a software update but it just masks the problem. This will knock you down to one 2.0 USB port total.

Worst of all, HP is not repairing them out of warranty, so make sure you mess with it a LOT to make sure it works within that 90-day warranty window.

References (scroll to bottom)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Folio-13-2000-USB-Port-Issues/td-p/1479867

...or search Google for more details.

I also want to chime in that I have had customers who ordered the refurbished model from Walmart both complain about battery problems (stalls charging at 70%, doesn't hold a charge, etc) but the notebooks were otherwise in immaculate condition, kind of hinting that they could be a known-defective batch sold at a bargain price.

I love the Folio 13 and have dozens of clients with them, so I am intricately familiar with their reliability (which is overall good, they are tough)

But a word of advice. Do not damage the screen. The part is $330 alone, and pretty difficult to install unless you swap an entire bezel.

thanks for advice. ordered this Folio 13. Cross fingers, hope mine have no issue on the USB 3.0 and battery. will see.

tilde

Samus wrote:It's important that people understand the reason for the surplus of "refurbished" Folio 13's. Quite a few of the first generation models like the 1029 (anything pre-August 2012) have defective Fresco USB 3.0 controllers. HP tried to fix this with a software update but it just masks the problem. This will knock you down to one 2.0 USB port total.

Good to know. I am replacing a 10 year old laptop and had hoped to go with one of the Win7 offerings here to save a little money; sounds like I'm better off with a certified-guaranteed refurb from a manufacturer instead.

If I were looking for something to get the kids through middle school, then yeah, one of these for sure.

I appreciate the heads up.

longstreet9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longstreet9
sz911boy wrote:I order the HP Folio 13. It still show shipping now. Anyone ordered has shipped?
It say Referb, not sure will it like new?

Mine gives me the same message...kind of disappointing because I was hoping to have it for a trip late next week. I might not now.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey guys, these were drop ship and were advertised to ship in 3-5 business days. We're still in that time frame. I know you're anxious.

That said, it looks like they got picked up late yesterday and we're just waiting on the tracking file from the vendor. There probably won't be any tracking update until Monday though.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sz911boy

ThunderThighs wrote:Hey guys, these were drop ship and were advertised to ship in 3-5 business days. We're still in that time frame. I know you're anxious.

That said, it looks like they got picked up late yesterday and we're just waiting on the tracking file from the vendor. There probably won't be any tracking update until Monday though.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

Good to know. I found my trackih on FedEx. Thanks

redbeard25

ThunderThighs wrote:

I have never tried this before and IT WORKED!! Thanks!

tatushua

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatushua

When i ordered the beats laptop today, it didn't give me the option for one day shipping. Is there a way to change it so I get it faster?

tatushua

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tatushua
sz911boy wrote:Good to know. I found my trackih on FedEx. Thanks

can i change my shipping to one day shipping it didn't offer me that when i ordered the laptop?