Search Amazon Search Google

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Win 8 but no touch screen is a fail.

jeffcohen

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeffcohen

Pretty comprehensive review here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V5-431-Notebook.83411.0.html

Seems like a nice basic computer. Includes a DVD drive (plus for some, minus for others). Has relatively low (but standard) screen resolution. Pretty nice form factor but low battery life. Definitely not a fast processor but adequate. Includes USB 3.0 as well.

jeffcohen

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeffcohen

Regarding the video above, that laptop is not only the 15" version (versus 14" being sold today) but it's got much better specs in every capacity (processor, RAM, HD, graphics, etc). Be careful comparing the two directly.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Any idea if the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard or not? This could be made into a significantly better laptop with just a CPU upgrade.

cksphd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cksphd

Here's CNET's take on Acer's V5-431 line:

http://www.cnet.com/1770-5_1-0.html?query=Acer+Aspire+V5-431-4405&tag=srch

vizhip

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vizhip

Because this laptop has no touch-screen, Windows 8 is a valid concern and how much better it works with a touch-screen.

The fact that this is 64bit and can only be expanded to 8GB memory in this day and age shouts be careful... Add to that the CPU being a duo and I would say pass on it unless you are desperate or just want to use it to learn Windows 8 from the keyboard, or maybe just need it for Internet access.

vprasad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vprasad
CharlesP2009 wrote:Any idea if the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard or not? This could be made into a significantly better laptop with just a CPU upgrade.

A search online for strings "V5-431" MS2360 and "Service Guide" produces a PDF that shows all manner of disassembly, but nothing explicit about the CPU being a replaceable part, though it does have a section for compatible CPUs.

No idea what to tell you, but searching for MS2360 service guide may give you a better idea of what you'll be up against.

Word of caution, the CPU does not appear to be accessible without ripping the whole thing open to get to the bottom of the mainboard.

peaceonearth11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages peaceonearth11
vizhip wrote:Because this laptop has no touch-screen, Windows 8 is a valid concern and how much better it works with a touch-screen.

The fact that this is 64bit and can only be expanded to 8GB memory in this day and age shouts be careful... Add to that the CPU being a duo and I would say pass on it unless you are desperate or just want to use it to learn Windows 8 from the keyboard, or maybe just need it for Internet access.

This is a light-duty laptop. I don't see why more than 8 GB memory would be needed for current applications.

hcsencsi

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hcsencsi

Awesome write up, by the way....

Booger Face

AssassinJN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AssassinJN

A Pentium? Skip this one, processor has 0 worth and will only disappoint.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+987+%40+1.50GHz

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
cksphd wrote:I could not agree more! I would only buy a PC with Windows 7 these days.

Picked up a Toshiba from staples for 300.00 then got a 50.00 rebate card. 6gb ram/ 750gb hd. Cheap unit but nice as a spare (2 kids in college). I think they are still onsale. C-55A was the modle. It came with win 8 but I backed it up, then wiped it out and put 7 on it. Runs like a champ.

TC1 USCG Ret

drpuzzle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drpuzzle

I have looked all over and cannot find specifically the 431-4405. In fact, I have not been able to find a V5-431 of any kind on Newegg, BestBuy or Acer US. That is somewhat discomforting.

jeffcohen wrote:Pretty comprehensive review here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V5-431-Notebook.83411.0.html

Seems like a nice basic computer. Includes a DVD drive (plus for some, minus for others). Has relatively low (but standard) screen resolution. Pretty nice form factor but low battery life. Definitely not a fast processor but adequate. Includes USB 3.0 as well.

db7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages db7

Pros:

• ulta-thin
  • price

Cons:

• Windows 8 w/o touchscreen
  • too heavy for an ultra-thin laptop
  • small resolution
  • heavy and slow hard drive, instead of SSD
  • Acer is not well known for utmost quality or high-value brand recognition

I am going to pass.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
AssassinJN wrote:A Pentium? Skip this one, processor has 0 worth and will only disappoint.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+987+%40+1.50GHz

It's a $300 PC!! "Processor has 0 worth" really?

yourhero88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yourhero88

Looks decent, anyone know if the graphics card is replaceable, or is that welded to the motherboard? I'm considering getting this for my brother who is going to be studying architecture in college, and needs something to run basic Autocad.

bullittsam159

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bullittsam159

Am I wrong here? This sure seems like a decent deal for someone looking for a thin laptop for travel, basic word processing, watching movies, etc. IDK if it qualifies as ultra thin but it's not thinkpad thick.

Scientists used the event as a chance to remind everyone: donuts have a long pointed snout, while the snout of doughnuts are wider and flat.

wootatchakobsadotnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatchakobsadotnet
CANNONFODDER0 wrote:
My personal pet peeves are that I cannot ESC out of an app, and that the news apps display old information but refresh when opened - I consider it a tease when I get interested in something only to click on it and it "refreshes" to completely different articles.

If those are your objections then why mention Windows 8 specifically? ESC has never exited an application on any version of Windows I've ever used. Now, I've never used Windows 8 so if you tell me that you can't Alt-F4 out of an application and you can't Alt-Tab between applications then that would be a valid complaint.

As for the news application, haven't the freebee apps in every version of Windows been mostly junk? The Paint app in Windows 3.x-7 is no competition to Photoshop, the Calculator app is no competition to Mathematica, Sound Recorder is no competition to Cubase/Live/ProTools and the DVD maker isn't serious competition to Premiere, Vegas Pro, Lightworks, etc.

I don't think I'll buy this laptop because I value long battery life and high screen resolution, but unless you have reason to believe that this laptop won't allow me to install all the same applications I have on my WinXP and Win7 computers there's no point in harping on your dislike of Win8.

If Woot offers a light laptop with at least six hour battery life and at least 1920x1200 screen resolution I'll buy it even with Windows 8 and as long as everything I do on Win7 still works I won't care if I never use anything in Win8 that's not also in Win7.

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass

lobster cookie.

Edit: Aww... where are the filters promised?

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
bullittsam159 wrote:Am I wrong here? This sure seems like a decent deal for someone looking for a thin laptop for travel, basic word processing, watching movies, etc. IDK if it qualifies as ultra thin but it's not thinkpad thick.

You are unwrong because I agree with you.

russ6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages russ6
yourhero88 wrote:Looks decent, anyone know if the graphics card is replaceable, or is that welded to the motherboard? I'm considering getting this for my brother who is going to be studying architecture in college, and needs something to run basic Autocad.

laptops in general can't replace graphics card, especially ultrabook-esque ones where size is a limitation. this laptop doesn't actually even have a dedicated graphics card, just integrated graphics. for autocad, steer clear because that's pretty cpu/gpu intensive (even basic stuff). for a little more, pick up something with a little more power, unless he's just going to be using this for taking notes in class

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

justkissmybass wrote:pencil thin mustache hot rod lincoln.

Edit: Aww... where are the filters promised?

Just fixed that. Try again.

Hey all, I deleted some posts about the Windows 8 hate. I think you've beat that horse dead. Let's focus on the computer. New computers come with Windows 8 and we (Woot) aren't going to be able to change that.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple

A lot of the comments here seem to be trying to compare this Woot to a $500 Intel i5 laptop. This laptop is less than $300.

Another perspective: netbooks were pretty popular before tablets came out. A lot of folks were paying $250-300 for netbooks.

This Woot blows away those netbooks - full operating system, 14 inch screen, full sized keyboard, internal DVD drive, usable size hard drive, etc...

The specs of this laptop are fine for email, web-browsing, and YouTube.

Please stop with the faddish Win8 bashing - it's here, it works fine with a free start menu plug in and Win8.1 is about to be released with the Start menu and desktop available.

ThunderThighs

Staff

drpuzzle wrote:I have looked all over and cannot find specifically the 431-4405. In fact, I have not been able to find a V5-431 of any kind on Newegg, BestBuy or Acer US. That is somewhat discomforting.

Fear not! This was a special purchase for a large business so you won't find retail listings for it. Your closest comp would be Wal-Mart’s V5-431-4689. Same specs, different color.

Now, go search thee for info.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

theroseknows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theroseknows

Actually, there is something you could do about it. But you won't.

ANyway, I just wanted to apologize because as I was writing the below post you were deleting WIN8 posts. Mine however is not just bashing, it is enumerating actual reasons and providing justification. So maybe you will keep it, as it actually provides useful information regarding the unit you are selling.

ThunderThighs wrote:Just fixed that. Try again.

Hey all, I deleted some posts about the Windows 8 hate. I think you've beat that horse dead. Let's focus on the computer. New computers come with Windows 8 and we (Woot) aren't going to be able to change that.

mbern1008

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mbern1008

Funny, I had to look at it twice before I realized it was an Acer. I was confused because I mistook it for a Macbook Air

ThunderThighs

Staff

theroseknows wrote:Actually, there is something you could do about it. But you won't.

ANyway, I just wanted to apologize because as I was writing the below post you were deleting WIN8 posts. Mine however is not just bashing, it is enumerating actual reasons and providing justification. So maybe you will keep it, as it actually provides useful information regarding the unit you are selling.

I can't bring back deleted posts. If you want to rework it to focus on the product itself, feel free to repost.

donaldb21795

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donaldb21795

For those that want their "Start" button back and booting straight to the desktop, try "Classic Shell" located here. It's free: http://www.classicshell.net. Will bring back some of the comfort. The Windows 8.1 upgrade is suppose to bring it back. That's in Beta currently.

regassert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages regassert

I do think win 8 works SLIGHTLY better with a touch screen. but it's hardly a deal breaker. And the instant on is actually pretty nice.

I was messing around with the Core i3 version of this shell and it's not a bad machine. A little too much chassis and keyboard flex for my liking so I passed on the i3, but for $279 I imagine this is a good deal. I thought the screen looked a little washed out on the i3 model. Maybe it was only that particular one though. IDK. $279 sure buys a lot more now than it used to huh?

greenvorlon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenvorlon

pencil thin mustache! hot rod lincoln!

greenvorlon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenvorlon
greenvorlon wrote:pencil thin mustache! hot rod lincoln!

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!

oldhickorytony

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oldhickorytony
ThunderThighs wrote:Just fixed that. Try again.

Hear! Hear! Well said!

"We have a date with destiny - and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!" from the Mystery Men

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman
CharlesP2009 wrote:Any idea if the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard or not? This could be made into a significantly better laptop with just a CPU upgrade.

Micro-BGA packaging (as the 987 is) almost certainly implies the part in question (this processor) is surface mounted (soldered) onto the board. So, not the only way to "upgrade" is to swap out the entire main board.

Sorry.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

mmukhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmukhi

I am interested in buying same computer like you bought from Staples for $300 + rebate $50 but I cannot find online. Can you please provide me a link.

Thanks

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Here's something to compare it to for value. Per dealnews.

Fry's Electronics offers the ASUS Intel Celeron 1.5GHz 15.6" LED-Backlit Laptop, model no. X502CA-RB01, for $268. Opt for in-store pickup to dodge the $10.79 shipping fee. That's $62 less than the best price we could find elsewhere and among the lowest prices we've seen for any ASUS 15.6" laptop with 4GB of RAM and Windows 8. It features an Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit LCD, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, 802.11n wireless, USB 3.0, HDMI, 3-megapixel webcam, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple

Additional nice feature about this Woot laptop - 14 inch screen size is more portable than the more mainstream, higher volume 15/16 inch models.

And 14 inch models often have a price premium over those 15/16 inch models.

If you hanker for compact and inexpensive, then this Woot looks like a good match.

irisira

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irisira

I want to get this for my husband. His 5.5yr old laptop is fried. He's a writer, and he needs it to word process, stroe photos, and play Facebook games. You answered my question as to if this can do that!

bluemaple wrote:A lot of the comments here seem to be trying to compare this Woot to a $500 Intel i5 laptop. This laptop is less than $300.

Another perspective: netbooks were pretty popular before tablets came out. A lot of folks were paying $250-300 for netbooks.

This Woot blows away those netbooks - full operating system, 14 inch screen, full sized keyboard, internal DVD drive, usable size hard drive, etc...

The specs of this laptop are fine for email, web-browsing, and YouTube.

Please stop with the faddish Win8 bashing - it's here, it works fine with a free start menu plug in and Win8.1 is about to be released with the Start menu and desktop available.

mmukhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmukhi
dliidlii wrote:Here's something to compare it to for value. Per dealnews.

Fry's Electronics offers the ASUS Intel Celeron 1.5GHz 15.6" LED-Backlit Laptop, model no. X502CA-RB01, for $268. Opt for in-store pickup to dodge the $10.79 shipping fee. That's $62 less than the best price we could find elsewhere and among the lowest prices we've seen for any ASUS 15.6" laptop with 4GB of RAM and Windows 8. It features an Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit LCD, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, 802.11n wireless, USB 3.0, HDMI, 3-megapixel webcam, 2-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit.

Celeron processor is very slow.

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
dliidlii wrote:Here's something to compare it to for value. Per dealnews.

2-cell battery seems a little light on a laptop even though both of these laptops only have 17 watt processors. Today's woot has a 4-cell battery. Plus the laptop you mentioned has a bigger screen, which in most circumstances would mean that it's using more power overall- hard to justify a 2-cell battery.