gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
mmukhi wrote:Celeron processor is very slow.

It's not slower than what is in today's laptop- the benchmarks are about the same to todays woot.

benard01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benard01

Anytime i buy that item i cant find it again in my orders ......what the hell is wrong with woot??

BuddyLove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BuddyLove

Isn't an Intel® Pentium® 987 pretty much today's 'celeron' processor?

cowtrimmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cowtrimmer
vizhip wrote:Because this laptop has no touch-screen, Windows 8 is a valid concern and how much better it works with a touch-screen.

The fact that this is 64bit and can only be expanded to 8GB memory in this day and age shouts be careful... Add to that the CPU being a duo and I would say pass on it unless you are desperate or just want to use it to learn Windows 8 from the keyboard, or maybe just need it for Internet access.

all this griping about win8 and a touchscreen is Baby Ruthy talk. For those stuck in the past or just intent on being on the "I hate widows8 bandwagon" why dont you install something like the classic shell program and stop whining.

srijan10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srijan10

I don't know much about computers at all. I have very basic needs--I mostly just use MS Word, email, web browsing, and Netflix. I understand from the comments here that Intel® Pentium® 987 is fine for this stuff. However, I was wondering if the processor will still function optimally in say 3-4 years from now? I'm a college student and can't afford to buy a new laptop every year. I'd really appreciate any help on this. The processor is the only thing that's stopping me from buying this laptop right now.

jsteed8

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jsteed8
ThunderThighs wrote:Fear not! This was a special purchase for a large business so you won't find retail listings for it. Your closest comp would be Wal-Mart’s V5-431-4689. Same specs, different color.

Now, go search thee for info.

Really? I have never heard of a manufacturer making a laptop specifically for a large business...and why would a legitament large business use Acers over HPs and Dells?

I work for an extremely large international business and our IT group gets off the shelf systems. Heck, even our products that we sell use off the shelf hardware from HP.

My work laptop is a HP ProBook 6470b...you can find that online.

I am not saying you are incorrect TT, but it just seems strange.

P.S. - A comment was made above, and I initially thought the same thing. Seems like Acer is eating from the Apple tree...

J. Steed

gak0090

BuddyLove wrote:Isn't an Intel® Pentium® 987 pretty much today's 'celeron' processor?

Yes. Actually the Celeron® Processor 1007U is newer and a little better than todays processor (22nm vs 32nm process). Just different names, but in general the same thing.

gak0090

jsteed8 wrote:Really? I have never heard of a manufacturer making a laptop specifically for a large business...and why would a legitament large business use Acers over HPs and Dells?

I work for an extremely large international business and our IT group gets off the shelf systems. Heck, even our products that we sell use off the shelf hardware from HP.

My work laptop is a HP ProBook 6470b...you can find that online.

I am not saying you are incorrect TT, but it just seems strange.

P.S. - A comment was made above, and I initially thought the same thing. Seems like Acer is eating from the Apple tree...

TT is correct. You see these sub-models being made for Best Buy all the time-usually slightly different specs. You go to the website for HP and you won't find it because it has a specific model designation and they don't maintain that on their website.

As far as Acer vs HP vs Dell ...really. You take these apart and the motherboards, processors, RAM, optical drives all come from the same companies. All they do is put the hardware together- not rocket science. Everyone makes lemons and everyone makes great stuff, and most of the stuff falls in the middle regardless of HP,Sony,Acer,Dell....

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

I bought this instead of spending at least $100 on extended warranty and insurance on my ultrabook which does NOT have an optical drive.

brenkata

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brenkata

Will this work for my 12 year old to play Wizards 101 so she can get the hell off MY laptop?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 548 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

benard01 wrote:Anytime i buy that item i cant find it again in my orders ......what the hell is wrong with woot??

I'm not seeing an order for you for this item. It's possible the order was denied by your payment service. You can email support@woot.com. A common reason is when your address on your woot account doesn't match the billing address on the payment method.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gak0090

brenkata wrote:Will this work for my 12 year old to play Wizards 101 so she can get the hell off MY laptop?

These are the system requirements:
https://www.wizard101.com/game/system-requirements

Today's computer may not be all that powerful, but it easily exceeds those requirements.

Ezpcconcepts

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ezpcconcepts
bullittsam159 wrote:Am I wrong here? This sure seems like a decent deal for someone looking for a thin laptop for travel, basic word processing, watching movies, etc. IDK if it qualifies as ultra thin but it's not thinkpad thick.

I agree with that assessment. If it had any or all of the upgrades people are complaining it does not have then it would not be a sub $300 laptop. Considering I am at this moment using a Lenovo X60s running Linux Mint with 1Gb system memory while streaming music off tunein.com while checking email which is what I do when on the road would make this laptop a great purchase at a great price... now I just need to justify it to the wife.... LOL

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, I deleted some posts about the Windows 8 hate. I think you've beat that horse dead. Let's focus on the computer. New computers come with Windows 8 and we (Woot) aren't going to be able to change that.

Most of us can DIY our own OS install. Whether it originally comes with 7 or 8, doesn't matter, it would get some distro of Linux installed anyway and Windows then gets installed into a VirtualBox.

But I'll pass on this gutless wonder, I'm looking for something more like this. Completely different price point, I know.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

ironicending

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ironicending

I didn't know they even still made pentium processors?

gak0090

pukeboy wrote:Most of us can DIY our own OS install. Whether it originally comes with 7 or 8, doesn't matter, it would get some distro of Linux installed anyway and Windows then gets installed into a VirtualBox.

But I'll pass on this gutless wonder, I'm looking for something more like this. Completely different price point, I know.

Those are nice. I like this one though https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp9

I don't mind the 15.6" screen- still 1080p, faster I7 and it's cheaper than the 14". Why no blu-ray option? I realize Ubuntu doesn't have the greatest blu-ray support, but it looks like it can still be done. Oh well- those are great prices on good hardware

stanchris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanchris
tc1uscg wrote:Picked up a Toshiba from staples for 300.00 then got a 50.00 rebate card. 6gb ram/ 750gb hd. Cheap unit but nice as a spare (2 kids in college). I think they are still onsale. C-55A was the modle. It came with win 8 but I backed it up, then wiped it out and put 7 on it. Runs like a champ.

I checked Staples for a C-55a and they have the exact unit you described but it's $399 with all the many discounts and rebates. It also has a 15.5" screen which makes it large. So I'm pulling the trigger on the Acer...I don't think you can beat the price for what you are getting.

rkappesser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkappesser

Meh. According to Passmark, that Celeron is about 20% faster than the Pentium in this Woot, which is about the same speed as an i3 from 2010. Both the computer from Fry's and this one are good deals for someone who doesn't need a lot of computer (Most users).

ThunderThighs

Staff

Y'all just made Buyer Bob's day. He's new and this was his first sale. Sold out his first sale.

Congrats Buyer Bob!

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zyzzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zyzzer
nanaejt wrote:It's a $300 PC!! "Processor has 0 worth" really?

Seriously! I mean come on man, it's a $300 computer! Try to get any other machine with the same specs and price...

...then submit your problem to http://first-world-problems.com/

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Making that statement without checking benchmarks shows you don't know what you're talking about.

vayate2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vayate2

I bought this laptop to replace a netbook, and it's perfectly fine for that purpose. I wouldn't use it as my main machine, but I have a desktop for heavy lifting. This laptop has a much more usable form factor than my netbook, the processor is faster than the merely-adequate Atom, and it has twice as much RAM. The Pentium 987 has about the same performance as a midrange core2 duo, which is fine for the vast majority of applications. Most importantly for my purposes, it's cheap enough that I won't care if I drop it in the ocean. I'm going to install Fedora on it and take it with me on my day trips. For people who bought this laptop as a cheap, portable second computer, it's a great buy.

kkangpae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkangpae

has anyone's shipped yet??

I'm really hoping to get this bad boy by friday

No side will win the Battle of the Sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy

jerry22630

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerry22630

ordered on Friday and still has not shipped, or at least they can't provide a tracking number. really disappointed with Customer service canned response. They will get right on it (tomorrow). Shipping too slow to be competitive.

Jerry

jerry22630

jerry22630 wrote:ordered on Friday and still has not shipped, or at least they can't provide a tracking number. really disappointed with Customer service canned response. They will get right on it (tomorrow). Shipping too slow to be competitive.

I have requested a full refund due to poor service and extremely slow shipping. No excuse for poor service.

Jerry

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kkangpae wrote:has anyone's shipped yet??

I'm really hoping to get this bad boy by friday

jerry22630 wrote:I have requested a full refund due to poor service and extremely slow shipping. No excuse for poor service.

I'm sorry to hear that you're still waiting for a shipping update. Please keep in mind that sales explicitly show the amount of time it the order will take to ship. You are also given an option to expedite your order by selecting other shipment speeds, such as the One-Day Shipping option.

Depending on the sale, it can take up to 3-5 business days for the orders to ship. In most cases, it's often less than this.

kkangpae

ROGETRAY wrote:I'm sorry to hear that you're still waiting for a shipping update. Please keep in mind that sales explicitly show the amount of time it the order will take to ship. You are also given an option to expedite your order by selecting other shipment speeds, such as the One-Day Shipping option.

Depending on the sale, it can take up to 3-5 business days for the orders to ship. In most cases, it's often less than this.

Thanks for the reply. This item actually had no expedited shipping option (and I actually requested it via 'contact us' to no avail). I was totally willing to pay for expedited shipping too :/

Anyway, the sale said it'd arrive by Friday, 26 so I hope it does, cause that's pretty much the latest it'd be of use for me.

No side will win the Battle of the Sexes. There's too much fraternizing with the enemy

jerry22630

Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow Shipping. Still no word. How long should it take to print a shipping label, slap it on the box, ans ship? This computer is supposed to be new in the box, not like it had to be checked out and repackaged. Same canned response from CS, it can take 5 days to ship. Unreasonable in this day and age.

My last woot.

Jerry

ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, we've been investigating the shipping issue since the 2nd day after the sale. We've gotten confirmation back from the FBA Warehouses (Fulfillment by Amazon) that there was a problem on their end and it's now fixed. They put it in the wrong area or something. I dunno.

Bottom line is, we apologize for the delay in shipment and we're on it.

kkangpae

ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, we've been investigating the shipping issue since the 2nd day after the sale. We've gotten confirmation back from the FBA Warehouses (Fulfillment by Amazon) that there was a problem on their end and it's now fixed. They put it in the wrong area or something. I dunno.

Bottom line is, we apologize for the delay in shipment and we're on it.

Ah, it's nice to hear it wasn't an error on your end.

Too bad I had to cancel my order today since it won't arrive by tomorrow though (when I absolutely needed it by).

NOTE: To anyone wondering, I still think woot is great, and they followed through in customer service by honoring my request to cancel my order and giving me a full refund and an apology, which I do appreciate.

wootsette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootsette

It has now been a full week since I ordered this, and it still has not een begun the shipping process. The message continues to say "we're pulling your order together."

A day ago, it was revealed that Amazon Fulfillment screwed up in some way or other. Butstill no evidence of anyshippingactivity . . .

Am I likely to receive this before the summer is over?

shvmds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shvmds
wootsette wrote:It has now been a full week since I ordered this, and it still has not een begun the shipping process. The message continues to say "we're pulling your order together."

A day ago, it was revealed that Amazon Fulfillment screwed up in some way or other. Butstill no evidence of anyshippingactivity . . .

Am I likely to receive this before the summer is over?

This was supposed to be a birthday gift for my girl-friend, and its definitely not getting here tomorrow, I would be surprised if it ships tomorrow. So I am going to have to do that dumb thing where you give a print out instead.

Are we going to any sort of compensation for this? since it was some error on Amazon's end that caused this delay?

swilson001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swilson001
shvmds wrote:This was supposed to be a birthday gift for my girl-friend, and its definitely not getting here tomorrow, I would be surprised if it ships tomorrow. So I am going to have to do that dumb thing where you give a print out instead.

Are we going to any sort of compensation for this? since it was some error on Amazon's end that caused this delay?

I am giving this to my girlfriend as well and I still have yet to be given a tracking number to know what is going on with it. I guess we all have to see what happens on Monday.

cwconner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwconner

I bought this and have been asking about shipping as well. All I get are the standard replies from customer service. There is not a retailer on earth that can't process and ship a single item order in less than a week. This is ridiculous, and there's no excuse for it. Thinking I won't take another chance with woot, regardless of whether or not I ever receive this.

jerry22630 wrote:Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow Shipping. Still no word. How long should it take to print a shipping label, slap it on the box, ans ship? This computer is supposed to be new in the box, not like it had to be checked out and repackaged. Same canned response from CS, it can take 5 days to ship. Unreasonable in this day and age.

My last woot.

cwconner

So, has ANYONE actually received this thing? I ordered it on Friday as a gift for my daughter, and it STILL hasn't shipped. All I get in response to my queries are the standard replies from customer service. There is not a retailer on earth that can't process and ship a single item order in less than a week. This is ridiculous, and there's no excuse for it. Thinking I won't be taking another chance with woot, regardless of whether or not I ever receive this.

cwconner

Third email I've gotten from customer service. Where am I directed for more information? THIS thread. Nice.

"Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.

There was a slight delay on the shipment of this product that you can read more about here:

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5504832&pageindex=2&replycount=74#post5509978

We expect the products to be shipped by the end of the weekend at the latest though it may take a few business days for you to receive tracking data for the product.

Best Regards,

Riley
Woot Member Services"

NAPL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NAPL

Let's get it together woot! It doesn't matter whose fault it was, YOU owe your customers more! A full week and it still hasn't shipped yet??

shvmds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shvmds
cwconner wrote:Third email I've gotten from customer service. Where am I directed for more information? THIS thread. Nice.

"Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.

There was a slight delay on the shipment of this product that you can read more about here:

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5504832&pageas index=2&replycount=74#post5509978

We expect the products to be shipped by the end of the weekend at the latest though it may take a few business days for you to receive tracking data for the product.

Best Regards,

Riley
Woot Member Services"

Got the same email when I contacted them. I use Amazon on regular basis and have used their customer service a lot, they have the best customer service of any big retailers by far. this is the first time I contacted woot, expecting their service to be equally as good since its owned by Amazon, but was quite disappointed. probably last purchase from woot unless they get their Hershey's Kiss together, make this right somehow.

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

I'll give Woot until Monday afternoon. If I don't see a tracking# appear by then, I'll cancel and put the charge in dispute.

Would have liked to receive this unit before it was more than two generations old.

cwconner

themacguy wrote:I'll give Woot until Monday afternoon. If I don't see a tracking# appear by then, I'll cancel and put the charge in dispute.

Would have liked to receive this unit before it was more than two generations old.

Agreed. If it's not shipped by Monday, I'm done. This is ridiculous.