frogyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frogyt

Looks like mine is coming by USPS, which means by the mail box. I'll be lucky if I see it for another two weeks!

swilson001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swilson001
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm so sorry. As I posted earlier, we did have some problems at the warehouses and the orders were resubmitted. This is definitely not the norm.

I sent an e-mail on Wednesday or Thursday of last week asking to cancel my order of this laptop and yet finally today I get a tracking number that has been pending since 7:19pm Monday night. Thunderthighs could you please forward this information to someone that can cancel my order before it begins to ship. I still would like to purchase items with Woot, but I am just disappointed in this transaction. Thanks.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

swilson001 wrote:I sent an e-mail on Wednesday or Thursday of last week asking to cancel my order of this laptop and yet finally today I get a tracking number that has been pending since 7:19pm Monday night. Thunderthighs could you please forward this information to someone that can cancel my order before it begins to ship. I still would like to purchase items with Woot, but I am just disappointed in this transaction. Thanks.

Your order is more than likely already shipped and on it's way. I would recommend that you write into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know that you would like to request a cancellation. They'll more than likely help issue an RMA for you and provide instructions on returning your purchase.

cwconner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cwconner

Well, I finally received a tracking number yesterday. It only indicated that the information had been entered at 8:19 PM Monday night. As of right now, there is no tracking update to even indicate that it has been picked up. No estimated delivery time. Awful, awful, AWFUL. And inexcusable.

cwconner

From what I can gather at the FedEx web site, the only activity on this is that someone in Indiana put some information in the system. The laptop hasn't actually shipped, although I did receive the standard cute message from woot saying it was on the way. Which, it isn't. Naturally, I can't get any answers from customer support.

From the FedEx web site:

"Anticipated ship date :Mon 7/29/2013 8:19 pm

Estimated delivery :
N/A
GAINESVILLE, FL US"

From the USPS web site:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

shvmds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shvmds
cwconner wrote:From what I can gather at the FedEx web site, the only activity on this is that someone in Indiana put some information in the system. The laptop hasn't actually shipped, although I did receive the standard cute message from woot saying it was on the way. Which, it isn't. Naturally, I can't get any answers from customer support.

From the FedEx web site:

"Anticipated ship date :Mon 7/29/2013 8:19 pm

Estimated delivery :
N/A
GAINESVILLE, FL US"

From the USPS web site:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

Mine got shipped on Monday through UPS, and it's already out for delivery so I should get it by the end of the day. Seems that ones shipping from Illinois are UPS and others are FedEx.

frogyt

cwconner wrote:Well, I finally received a tracking number yesterday. It only indicated that the information had been entered at 8:19 PM Monday night. As of right now, there is no tracking update to even indicate that it has been picked up. No estimated delivery time. Awful, awful, AWFUL. And inexcusable.

same here!

cwconner

I just checked USPS and FedEx again. No package has ever been scanned in anywhere. No tracking available. Which I can only assume means the package is still in Plainfield, Indiana. The reason I can only assume this is because I have not received a response from customer service. It's good to know that they are 100% consistent and that absolutely NOTHING will prompt a decent response from them.

driscj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages driscj
cwconner wrote:I just checked USPS and FedEx again. No package has ever been scanned in anywhere. No tracking available. Which I can only assume means the package is still in Plainfield, Indiana. The reason I can only assume this is because I have not received a response from customer service. It's good to know that they are 100% consistent and that absolutely NOTHING will prompt a decent response from them.

Same for my order also. I know sometimes these things update retrospectively during the night. Smartpost is a miserable method of shipping for the customer. Like you, I will feel better when there's actually a physcial scan of the label documented.

I also received an email saying my $5 shipping was being refunded so that's appreciated.

frogyt

Has anyone got their laptop yet?

cwconner

Nope. But I did receive this helpful reply from woot customer service. To sum up, they told me it was too late to cancel my order because it was already being shipped, then I received an email congratulating me saying that it has been shipped, and this email just now saying that it had not yet been shipped but would be shipped shortly.

"We're contacting you about your recent Woot purchase for the Acer Aspire V5-431-4405 UltraThin 14" Laptop.

Again, we're very sorry for the delay in getting your order shipped out to you. Your order should be shipping out to you shortly or already in-transit.

A $5 refund for the cost of shipping has been issued back to your original payment method. That refund should appear within a few business days.

Please email us back at support@woot.com if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
Woot!"

shvmds

frogyt wrote:Has anyone got their laptop yet?

Mine is supposed to be sitting at home by the front door (it's an apartment building, so its inside the locked door). I will see if the actual laptop is in the package, because at this point i wouldn't be surprised if it was just a empty package.

xelement5x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xelement5x

I got the same supposed credit message as well, but I still don't have tracking for the actual package yet and it's almost 2 weeks since I made the purchase... hopefully they expedite this because it's just ridiculous.

frogyt

cwconner wrote:Nope. But I did receive this helpful reply from woot customer service. To sum up, they told me it was too late to cancel my order because it was already being shipped, then I received an email congratulating me saying that it has been shipped, and this email just now saying that it had not yet been shipped but would be shipped shortly.

"We're contacting you about your recent Woot purchase for the Acer Aspire V5-431-4405 UltraThin 14" Laptop.

Again, we're very sorry for the delay in getting your order shipped out to you. Your order should be shipping out to you shortly or already in-transit.

A $5 refund for the cost of shipping has been issued back to your original payment method. That refund should appear within a few business days.

Please email us back at support@woot.com if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
Woot!"

I just got the very same email.

hba71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hba71

Hi all, man, I wish I would have came back to the community messages to see what was going on. I felt like I was the only one going through this problem. How silly of me. Sucks to hear others have been affected by this... I'm really hoping Woot can come through for us in some sort of way.

frogyt

I ordered a dell laptop Sunday and it came this morning from Best Buy via UPS. THIS IS THE longest SHIPPING I HAVE EVER SEEN!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi all.

Wanted to let you know that we're not ignoring you. There's stuff going on behind the scenes.

First, all of the computers are shipped and most are tracking. Some of you have received your laptop or will be receiving them very soon.

We do have a handful though that are not tracking and we are working to find out why. We do know that one laptop was delivered and the tracking updated later that day by the shipper. We can't explain this. However, with that in mind, keep an eye out for your laptop even if tracking isn't updating.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

themacguy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages themacguy

The unit arrived this morning! (Two days from Phoenix to El Paso.) Also recv'd an eMail that Woot is refunding $5 for the shipping. Got confirmation from PayPal, as well.

Been playing with the unit. Hardware-wise, it's pretty nice although it's the same overall size as my MacBook Pro 15" (and this is a 14"). The keyboard key spacing is way more than it has to be; guess Acer's never heard of "negative space". Regardless, it feels lighter than my MBP and the screen, while not as hi-res as the MBP, is very sharp. Seems to be a semi-shiny screen (which I like).

However, one thing I hate is Windows 8 (yeah, I knew the config coming in). I've DL'd the Win7 drivers and will be installing that OS as fast as I can. I am just amazed that MS vomited up W8 and pushed it as an "upgrade" to W7. Sorry, it's the most miserable, misbegotten, brain-dead OS I've ever encountered. It does -nothing- I want and -everything- I hate. What kind of nonsense is this "Live Tiles"? It's live spam...institutionalized in an OS. Ballmer should be fired...immediately. He gave it the thumbs up and he's the one to blame.

shvmds

themacguy wrote:The unit arrived this morning! (Two days from Phoenix to El Paso.) Also recv'd an eMail that Woot is refunding $5 for the shipping. Got confirmation from PayPal, as well.

Been playing with the unit. Hardware-wise, it's pretty nice although it's the same overall size as my MacBook Pro 15" (and this is a 14"). The keyboard key spacing is way more than it has to be; guess Acer's never heard of "negative space". Regardless, it feels lighter than my MBP and the screen, while not as hi-res as the MBP, is very sharp. Seems to be a semi-shiny screen (which I like).

However, one thing I hate is Windows 8 (yeah, I knew the config coming in). I've DL'd the Win7 drivers and will be installing that OS as fast as I can. I am just amazed that MS vomited up W8 and pushed it as an "upgrade" to W7. Sorry, it's the most miserable, misbegotten, brain-dead OS I've ever encountered. It does -nothing- I want and -everything- I hate. What kind of nonsense is this "Live Tiles"? It's live spam...institutionalized in an OS. Ballmer should be fired...immediately. He gave it the thumbs up and he's the one to blame.

Got mine delivered today and just started it up. I basically agree with everything you said about the laptop, basically exactly what I expected.

And if you are like me and have never used Windows 8 before, get ready for a big headache. Take a couple of advil before you turn your computer on because you will need it. Windows 8 is absolutely terrible, and it took me about half an hour to get to the conclusion. It has bunch of useless applications. It is unbelievably difficult to navigate around, if I am in the application mode, it's pain in the ass even just to get to network settings or turn the sound up (without using key-board short cuts). I started downloading an app about 30 minutes ago, it still says download with no progress (kinda like woot and shipping). Most of the pre-loaded apps need update before it will let you use them, and updates aren't downloading.

Basically without Windows 8, the computer is a great bang for the money. Hopefully widows 8 will grow on me and I can tolerate it a little more but it will be headache until then.

Good luck to all of you who are still waiting for the package to arrive, hopefully it just an error with fed-ex tracking and it might be getting there tomorrow.

themacguy

Finished installing Windows 7 Ultimate X86/32-bit. Had Device Manager install the network driver (and all else it I could find - I had DL'd all the drivers at the product page and put them on a flash drive); now (via Ethernet) it's downloading the updates from MS.

Seat-of-pants evaluation so far: This machine is -way- faster with Win7 than Win8 and certainly easier to configure and use. The best way to describe my Win8 experience is like this: Did you ever rent the DVD "Memento"? Trying to figure out how to navigate the menu structure just to watch the damned movie was just like Win8. See this: http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/navigating_the.html

themacguy wrote:The unit arrived this morning! (Two days from Phoenix to El Paso.) Also recv'd an eMail that Woot is refunding $5 for the shipping. Got confirmation from PayPal, as well.

driscj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages driscj
ThunderThighs wrote:We do have a handful though that are not tracking and we are working to find out why. We do know that one laptop was delivered and the tracking updated later that day by the shipper. We can't explain this. However, with that in mind, keep an eye out for your laptop even if tracking isn't updating.

Yesterday my tracking number was showing still as 'Information Received' but no other tracking or delivery estimate on FedEx. Around 3 a.m. this morning I received an update from FedEx (I had requested notifications). It showed FedEx had the package in Atlanta at SmartPost facility.

BUT, the tracking number had changed. It was the same number as I received from Woot however the '9' that was the first digit (SmartPost tracking numbers start with a '9' to work with USPS) was now gone.

If I use the original tracking number in FedEx or USPS it no longer exists. Only the shortened one now produces tracking on FedEx (nothing in USPS which isn't surprising).

I've never seen that happen to a FedEx tracking number before. It's very odd what happened.

frogyt

JUST GOT MY LAPTOP

themacguy

For those wanting to dispose of Windows 8 and use v7 instead: Yes, no problem. Just download all the drivers from the Acer webpage for the V5-731 "Ultra-thin" (it's not in the "Notebooks" category). Unzip 'em all and put the unzip'd folders on a flash drive. (I used the Win7 32-bit drivers as my Win7 disk is 32-bit.)

Be sure to run the utility that creates a "Restore disk"; just in case you ever want to make the unit the way it was when it shipped from the factory. It will ask for a 16GB flash drive but I used a larger USB HD (an old 30GB IDE model in a USB2 enclosure). That created a boot disk for the restoration process. Put it away in a safe place and label it.

I set the BIOS to "Legacy" mode. (F2 will get you into the BIOS screen upon initial boot.) I'm not positive whether this is necessary or not.

Install your Windows 7. I used a 32-bit "X86" disk. I wiped out all partitions in the "advanced" disk mode before letting the rest of the installation proceed normally.

Once the installation is complete and you've booted back into Windows, you'll need to use that flash drive with the drivers. First: Run the Realtek setup to get Ethernet working. Then run all the rest of the drivers. If you have drivers for which there is no hardware, you'll be told. The Atheros driver took care of the WiFi and Bluetooth.

The touchpad is from Elan and it's a twitchy little hamster. If you reduce most of the sensitivity settings and turn off most of the bells and whistles, it's manageable (although I am looking for a registry hack).

Otherwise, this is now a really nice Windows 7 machine with a Windows Index of 4.3 but, as that's the graphics # and I do only productivity apps on this machine, I'll use the next higher number of 5.2 (Processor) as what's really happening. I'm pleased.

swilson001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swilson001
themacguy wrote:For those wanting to dispose of Windows 8 and use v7 instead: Yes, no problem. Just download all the drivers from the Acer webpage for the V5-731 "Ultra-thin" (it's not in the "Notebooks" category). Unzip 'em all and put the unzip'd folders on a flash drive. (I used the Win7 32-bit drivers as my Win7 disk is 32-bit.)

Be sure to run the utility that creates a "Restore disk"; just in case you ever want to make the unit the way it was when it shipped from the factory. It will ask for a 16GB flash drive but I used a larger USB HD (an old 30GB IDE model in a USB2 enclosure). That created a boot disk for the restoration process. Put it away in a safe place and label it.

I set the BIOS to "Legacy" mode. (F2 will get you into the BIOS screen upon initial boot.) I'm not positive whether this is necessary or not.

Install your Windows 7. I used a 32-bit "X86" disk. I wiped out all partitions in the "advanced" disk mode before letting the rest of the installation proceed normally.

Once the installation is complete and you've booted back into Windows, you'll need to use that flash drive with the drivers. First: Run the Realtek setup to get Ethernet working. Then run all the rest of the drivers. If you have drivers for which there is no hardware, you'll be told. The Atheros driver took care of the WiFi and Bluetooth.

The touchpad is from Elan and it's a twitchy little hamster. If you reduce most of the sensitivity settings and turn off most of the bells and whistles, it's manageable (although I am looking for a registry hack).

Otherwise, this is now a really nice Windows 7 machine with a Windows Index of 4.3 but, as that's the graphics # and I do only productivity apps on this machine, I'll use the next higher number of 5.2 (Processor) as what's really happening. I'm pleased.

Since this isn't Facebook and I can't "like" your comment, I'll just post my like...lol. Good information, thanks.

shvmds

swilson001 wrote:Since this isn't Facebook and I can't "like" your comment, I'll just post my like...lol. Good information, thanks.

Since I can't like you comment liking his comment, I will just post my like as well.

uspurs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uspurs

For those of you fortunate enough to have received your Acer - we ordered early on the 19th and it arrived this afternoon; 2 weeks is quite, er, exceptional in this day and age ...
Wifi sux on the one we have - keeps on dropping the connection - downloading updated drivers now.

shvmds

uspurs wrote:For those of you fortunate enough to have received your Acer - we ordered early on the 19th and it arrived this afternoon; 2 weeks is quite, er, exceptional in this day and age ...
Wifi sux on the one we have - keeps on dropping the connection - downloading updated drivers now.

I have the same issue with wifi, even once I installed the windows updates. Let me know if you figure out a way to fix it.

xelement5x

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xelement5x

Yeah, I was testing this last night and getting Wifi drops all the time as well. Do those of you running it as Win 7 have the same issues?

Also, this looks like a good and cheap 2nd stick of memory if you to upgrade to 8GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231481

shvmds

xelement5x wrote:Yeah, I was testing this last night and getting Wifi drops all the time as well. Do those of you running it as Win 7 have the same issues?

Also, this looks like a good and cheap 2nd stick of memory if you to upgrade to 8GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231481

I kept Windows 8 for now since I am too lazy to install Windows 7. I downloaded the new wireless drivers from Acers website and also changes the power settings of the wi-fi connection to keep it from disconnecting, that solved the issue.

jerry99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jerry99

Just to let folks know -- after four months this device is dead -- will not power on at all. Acer support says to bubble-wrap and ship it to them for repair. I'm disappointed that I have to find a shipping container and wait while they do whatever they do.
I will not be buying Acer products again.