quality posts: 2743 Private Messages lichme

lichme

quality posts: 2743 Private Messages lichme

gosh7001

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001

wow... amazing .... ANOTHER tv. Maybe make a tv.woot.com

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

Interesting that the LED weights 50% more than the LCD TV (59 pounds verses 39 pounds). Most of it seems to be in a heavier stand.

And it uses MORE energy, very strange for a LED TV.

EDIT: I see they fixed the weight, but it STILL weighs more than the LCD, most unusual.

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

Do we know the serial numbers of these TVs? Apparently serial numbers LFTRNWAN3800001 to LFTRNWAN4805300 have Vizio-acknowledged defective chips in them.

[MOD: It's not for these models. Here's the official bulletin. ]

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

VIZIO is a solid American company. Excellent quality

amemait

quality posts: 10 Private Messages amemait

CNET review for the E500i-A1.

Interesting how they can say it's an LED TV when it's an LCD TV with LED backlight - according to the review and Vizio's own specs.)

anime2485

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anime2485

I obviously isn't an OLED display... All LED tvs are LED backlit LCD displays >_<

amemait wrote:CNET review for the E500i-A1.

Interesting how they can say it's an LED TV when it's an LCD TV with LED backlight - according to the review and Vizio's own specs.)

coryb13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coryb13

With Stand: 39.24 lbs 59.49 lbs
Without Stand: 36.16 lbs 42.95 lbs

Anyone know why there is such a weight difference in the stand, or is that a typo?

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

Bought this EXACT TV from Walmart on Black Friday bundled with a really nice wall mount for $899.00. This is an AMAZING TV with an AMAZING picture. Sound is OK. This is an EXCELLENT buy which I would jump on in a New York Minute, except I already own 6 Vizios and really don't need another.

Jewmobile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jewmobile

I wish one day they would ship to APO. I would buy 3 of these TV's. Right. Now.

Wyatt8

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Wyatt8

ALL "LED" TV's ARE
LCD panels with LED back-lighting

ALL "LCD" TV's are
LCD panels with CCFL back lighting

and, so far, all OLED TV's are way to nice for Woot, so far...

here... read this ...

a perfect day to have a great day on purpose...
or because the store clerk told you to...

darrylk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darrylk

Hmmm... so the LCD weighs less and and uses less electricity than the LED? Somethin' don't seem right here.

AlexD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AlexD

I bought the i500-A1 a month ago when it was last for sale here refurb for the same price. I am very happy with the purchase. It replaced a 37 inch Vizio Razer TV that I sold used for $275 so a really reasonable upgrade for me. Biggest drawback for me is that the sound on this TV is really crappy. I would definitely recommend a sound bar for this TV.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
asjxvii wrote:VIZIO is a solid American company. Excellent quality

Are you or have you ever been employed by Vizio or do you receive any form of compensation from Vizio for making such statements ?

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe

That's just what an LED TV is.

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
escalante wrote:Interesting that the LED weights 50% more than the LCD TV (59 pounds verses 39 pounds). Most of it seems to be in a heavier stand.

I noticed that- it also uses slightly more power, and a couple other specs that are not as good as the LCD. I thought LEDs were lighter and used less power?!

baligrodzka50

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baligrodzka50
Jaxidian wrote:Do we know the serial numbers of these TVs? Apparently serial numbers LFTRNWAN3800001 to LFTRNWAN4805300 have Vizio-acknowledged defective chips in them.

well what with the serial numbers woot?

krossout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krossout

more importantly, which is the better tv and the better deal?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

The title should read" LCD or LCD".

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

darrylk wrote:Hmmm... so the LCD weighs less and and uses less electricity than the LED? Somethin' don't seem right here.

They are BOTH LCD. One uses CFL backlighting, the other uses LEDs for backlighting. This applies to ALL TVs today with the exception of Plasma and the horrifically expensive OLED TVs.
Marketing just plain confuses people.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

krossout

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krossout
Ringo4422 wrote:They are BOTH LCD. One uses CFL backlighting, the other uses LEDs for backlighting. This applies to ALL TVs today with the exception of Plasma and the horrifically expensive OLED TVs.
Marketing just plain confuses people.

So WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY????

Ringo4422

TCayer wrote:I noticed that- it also uses slightly more power, and a couple other specs that are not as good as the LCD. I thought LEDs were lighter and used less power?!

I'm one of many who doesn't like LED back-lit LCD TVs. The whites are blueish and I really dislike that. I prefer the CFL back lighting myself (whiter whites).

Ringo4422

krossout wrote:So WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY????

I bought 2 32" LCD sets from here (when it says LCD, that means flourescant back lighted) from Woot 2 years ago and both work fine. Purchased an extended warranty through Square Trade when they were running a 30% off special. Never needed to use it.

Ringo4422

krossout wrote:So WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY????

The "LCD" one offers less motion blurr than the "LED", but the "LED" offers better a contrast ratio (blacker blacks). Your call.

decyde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages decyde
Jaxidian wrote:Do we know the serial numbers of these TVs? Apparently serial numbers LFTRNWAN3800001 to LFTRNWAN4805300 have Vizio-acknowledged defective chips in them.

These are referb TV's. Odds are they replaced the chips and these are returns of people who had the problem.

jekrump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jekrump

anyone know if the Netflix on these TV's are capable of displaying subtitles? I really need subtitles for watching movies when the kids are asleep. Thanks!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning folks. In reference to the LCD vs. LED debate:

When the LED-backlit TVs were first introduced, they were called just that - LED-Backlit LCD HDTV.

After the technology became more known (I assume), manufacturers shortened the name to LED HDTV. You can see this on the VIZIO page for this LED TV.

Woot will default to the name uses by manufaxturers for most sales.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread and product discussion.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

doferty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doferty

I picked up the 47" version of this about a month ago. Extremely happy with it. The only issue I have is that it takes a few seconds to "boot up" when powering on. The screen comes up, and you can see the souce (HDMI, etc.) but you can't lower the volume or do anything until it's done "thinking."

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I received the LED Smart version from Woot on Tuesday - it took only a week to arrive.

No problem setting it up and getting it connected to the internet wirelessly. There are a good number of apps available, but not as many as with, say, a Roku. The remote has dedicated buttons for Netflix, Amazon and M-Go.

This was to replace a 46" Phillips also purchased from Woot. Honestly, the Phillips had a better quality picture (despite me fooling with all the settings) and the sound quality was much better with the Phillips as well.

Normally the sound would not bother me as I use headphones to keep the peace at home. However, this set did NOT have a headphones jack despite several tech specs saying it did. I am in the process of hooking up some wireless headphones using the audio jacks.

I am happy with the purchase, particularly the price, but the Phillips was a little better quality IMO. I did buy a three-year Square Trade warranty for about $42.00 as well.

morrise6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morrise6
bigray57 wrote:Bought this EXACT TV from Walmart on Black Friday bundled with a really nice wall mount for $899.00. This is an AMAZING TV with an AMAZING picture. Sound is OK. This is an EXCELLENT buy which I would jump on in a New York Minute, except I already own 6 Vizios and really don't need another.

Which one did you buy?

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

Oh frabjous (Fri)day!

escalante wrote:And it uses MORE energy (than an LCD), very strange for a LED TV.

Are you sure it consumes MORE? (75W when on? An LCD of comaprable size usually eats over 120W. My 32" LCD VIZIO consumes 98W. For reference, the LED model takes 65W of power.)

Vizio is a nice company and all, but I'm just miffed they finally dropped both S-Video AND Picture-in-Picture from all their models.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
ThunderThighs wrote:Morning folks. In reference to the LCD vs. LED debate:

When the LED-backlit TVs were first introduced, they were called just that - LED-Backlit LCD HDTV.

After the technology became more known (I assume), manufacturers shortened the name to LED HDTV. You can see this on the VIZIO page for this LED TV.

Woot will default to the name uses by manufaxturers for most sales.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread and product discussion.

@TT, thanks for that.

Woot could do everybody including itself a favor by labeling the TV's accurately, not simply rabbiting the (non-sensical, non-parallel) Manufacturer labels.

It seems 1/3 to 1/2 of the comments everytime 'LED' TVs are put up attempt to 'clarify" the backlighting issue. You regularly chime in asking comments stay on target - these "LCD vs LED" comments could be prevented by simple Woot action.

Hopefully Woot adds more value than simply reselling everything offered to it. That begs at least understanding at a basic level what it sells. This 'LCD vs LED' issue qualifies as 'basic'.

Why not proactively label all Woot TV's unambiguously:

"LCD-CCFL backlighting"

"LCD-LED backlighting"

Or simply label them all accurately "LCD" and put the backlighting method in the sub-titles or specs.

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

Are they parroting the manufacturer? The Vizio site has slightly different descriptions (and techc specs) than what Woot lists.

Also, just found out TVs are bringing back PIP/POP... now PAP... and seems like only the SONY 4k TVs are doing it.

wolfwood1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wolfwood1

I don't think that this TV offers a square trade warranty.. which is odd, I thought they put it on almost all woot items..

Sarisin wrote:I received the LED Smart version from Woot on Tuesday - it took only a week to arrive.

No problem setting it up and getting it connected to the internet wirelessly. There are a good number of apps available, but not as many as with, say, a Roku. The remote has dedicated buttons for Netflix, Amazon and M-Go.

This was to replace a 46" Phillips also purchased from Woot. Honestly, the Phillips had a better quality picture (despite me fooling with all the settings) and the sound quality was much better with the Phillips as well.

Normally the sound would not bother me as I use headphones to keep the peace at home. However, this set did NOT have a headphones jack despite several tech specs saying it did. I am in the process of hooking up some wireless headphones using the audio jacks.

I am happy with the purchase, particularly the price, but the Phillips was a little better quality IMO. I did buy a three-year Square Trade warranty for about $42.00 as well.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
pakopako wrote:Oh frabjous (Fri)day!

Are you sure it consumes MORE? (75W when on? An LCD of comaprable size usually eats over 120W. My 32" LCD VIZIO consumes 98W. For reference, the LED model takes 65W of power.)

Vizio is a nice company and all, but I'm just miffed they finally dropped both S-Video AND Picture-in-Picture from all their models.

I am just reading the specs that are listed on the Woot description. Do I know for sure, of course not. Read under the “Power consumption” paragraph in the “Specs” tab.

Woot’s specs

And why do we have to have this LED verses LCD debate every time? We all know the difference by now (well 99% of us).

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
escalante wrote:.
And why do we have to have this LED verses LCD debate every time? We all know the difference by now (well 99% of us).

@escalante, no, we don't have to have the debates - all it takes is simple clarity by Woot up front in the labeling.

And clearly "99% of us" are not aware of the poor/false labeling issue or there would not be (unaware) triggering posts leading to others offering clarity.

clydaho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clydaho

Bought the 50" tv last time Woot! offered it July 8. I can't speak for every tv...but the refurb on mine was poorly done, if it was even done at all. It lasted exactly one day, and then there were electric green splotches all over the screen and lines running through the picture. It's on its way back to Woot! for a refund.