ahorner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahorner

I haven't seen any comments about the 1G memory. Isn't that a bit slight?

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
ahorner wrote:I haven't seen any comments about the 1G memory. Isn't that a bit slight?

Wish it was 2, but what can u do... at least it is a quad... so I suppose ill be using all 1gb lol, im just getting as a secondary tablet to my samsung note 10.1...can never have too many tablets hehehehe

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090
ahorner wrote:I haven't seen any comments about the 1G memory. Isn't that a bit slight?

I think if this tablet were designed today they probably would have used 2gb of RAM. This and the Asus transformer infinity (same resolution, same processor) both have only 1gb of RAM and they both seem to have no issues even with current updates.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
dernst_ca1 wrote:Again my life is complete with a second day of fame on the woot main page.... Does this earn me the writers salary?

You've already gotten it twice over: a day of fame on the Woot main page!

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

vatchman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages vatchman

Is this compatible with a Mac?

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314
scotttampa wrote:Wish it was 2, but what can u do... at least it is a quad... so I suppose ill be using all 1gb lol, im just getting as a secondary tablet to my samsung note 10.1...can never have too many tablets hehehehe

...too many tablets you say? I have a Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle HD 8.9, Xoom, Viewsonic G-tablet(not being used), ASUS 32GB T200 w/keyboard(from Woot), Nook Color, and Nook First Edition. Yep...that's all...OH and a partridge in a pear tree...lol

pschatzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pschatzy

I have an asus tf101 that I bought around when it was introduced along wit a dock. I have been perfectly happy with it. Love the expandability and the resolution while not as crisp as my wwifes ipad seems perfectly fine to me. However I am always looking to do better. Is there anything on the market that will give me the features I currently have but is worth the expense?

scotttampa

jet314 wrote:...too many tablets you say? I have a Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle HD 8.9, Xoom, Viewsonic G-tablet(not being used), ASUS 32GB T200 w/keyboard(from Woot), Nook Color, and Nook First Edition. Yep...that's all...OH and a partridge in a pear tree...lol

Now THATS what im sayn lol!

hal14450

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hal14450
gak0090 wrote:Because it's not even listed on Acer's site http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model-datasheet/HT.H9ZAA.007. I finally found it on GSM arena specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_iconia_tab_a700-4425.php

That page has conflicting information:

"This is not a GSM device, it will not work on any GSM network worldwide."

In the GPS section it states:

"GPS Yes, with A-GPS support"

A-GPS afaik still requires a network connection via cell tower. So I'm inclined to disagree with the info provided on that page. It's more likely that it refers the capabilities of the A701 tablet. Using a USB GPS dongle is probably not out of the question though.

[MOD: We've confirmed that it does have GPS. Specs have been updated.]

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Afternoon, Wooters!

To put an end to the GPS debate, we've confirmed with the vendor that this tablet does have GPS. We've updated the specs to reflect this.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

gak0090

hal14450 wrote:That page has conflicting information:

"This is not a GSM device, it will not work on any GSM network worldwide."

In the GPS section it states:

"GPS Yes, with A-GPS support"

A-GPS afaik still requires a network connection via cell tower. So I'm inclined to disagree with the info provided on that page. It's more likely that it refers the capabilities of the A701 tablet. Using a USB GPS dongle is probably not out of the question though.

[MOD: We've confirmed that it does have GPS. Specs have been updated.]

I wasn't positive either, that's why I went to amazon and looked up that exact model to see if the comments mentioned it, and they did, so I was pretty confident after that it did. I put that in my original post.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah
gak0090 wrote:Who uses a GPS on a tablet? I could understand a phone, and mounting it on you dash- but I'm not quite sure how you would use the 10.1" tablet GPS. Are you using this in some other way, or for some other function?

I'm a land surveyor so I use the GPS on the tablet when I am in the field to direct me to points while I do my reconnaissance. A phone is too small and useless for this because the screen is too small

katzland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katzland
scotttampa wrote:Wish it was 2, but what can u do... at least it is a quad... so I suppose ill be using all 1gb lol, im just getting as a secondary tablet to my samsung note 10.1...can never have too many tablets hehehehe

How do you like your Samsung Note? I've been thinking about buying one of those... Any negatives? THX

pakopako

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako
gak0090 wrote:I think if this tablet were designed today they probably would have used 2gb of RAM.

Android handles memory a bit differently than a desktop OS would. Unless you're installing and/or emulating a desktop OS in your tablet, 2GB of RAM is overkill for most tablet apps.

Of course, if possible, it is better to have more than less (especially for the same price). The next iteration of the Transformer Infinity (which is codenamed Transformer... Infinity -- I don't get it either) is claiming to have an extra GB of RAM.

scotttampa

katzland wrote:How do you like your Samsung Note? I've been thinking about buying one of those... Any negatives? THX

Actually no negatives at all... it is best on market in my opinion. You can still get refurb from amazon for 299.00 which is what woot lowered to in final sale few weeks back... I got 2from woot. Quad core is so fast!

pakopako

scotttampa wrote:SURE, a dual core instead of quad for DOUBLE the price?

Actually... what programs take advantage of a quad core? It's like when intel and AMD made multi-core processors more readily available, it took awhile for developers to create programs to take advantage of that.

scotttampa

pakopako wrote:Actually... what programs take advantage of a quad core? It's like when intel and AMD made multi-core processors more readily available, it took awhile for developers to create programs to take advantage of that.

HUGE difference! I have a single dual and quad, and quad is SOooooooo fast doesnt take time for anything. Its amazing!

pakopako

scotttampa wrote:I have a single dual and quad, and quad is SOooooooo fast doesnt take time for anything. Its amazing!

Don't suppose you know of any benchmarking programs? I'm curious as to the differences between the Tegra3 quad-core (1.6 GHz) found in today's Iconia vs the Exynos A15 dual-core (1.7 GHz) found in the Google Nexus line.

Because they're from different CPU makers, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but if you use the same office suite, video player, or game between your devices, I'd be curious if say VLC ran faster on your dual-core, but if Assassin's Creed did better on your quad.

scotttampa

pakopako wrote:Don't suppose you know of any benchmarking programs? I'm curious as to the differences between the Tegra3 quad-core (1.6 GHz) found in today's Iconia vs the Exynos A15 dual-core (1.7 GHz) found in the Google Nexus line.

Because they're from different CPU makers, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but if you use the same office suite, video player, or game between your devices, I'd be curious if say VLC ran faster on your dual-core, but if Assassin's Creed did better on your quad.

Not sure between specific brands, I just know basic everyday programs, browser, loading time, viggle, id say everything I do has no wait time at all. After seeing the speed of quad, I will NEVER get a dual again... and I understand some duals are faster, but windows hadnt released a quad so I havent gotten one... but android left them in the dark, and they need to give them away for awhile to get them back in the market lol... but seriously, Im blown away at NOTHING taking time to think anymore with quad...

katzland

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katzland
scotttampa wrote:Actually no negatives at all... it is best on market in my opinion. You can still get refurb from amazon for 299.00 which is what woot lowered to in final sale few weeks back... I got 2from woot. Quad core is so fast!

Awesome! THX!

supercrazy1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supercrazy1

3 quick questions:

1. How does this compare to a Kindle Fire HD at the same price? a.k.a. which is worth my $250.

2. Does it have an orientation sensor so depending on which way I hold it it changes the display? This is import to me for e-reading.

3. Anyone who already has it, how is it for e-reading? I have a kindle touch currently which I like except for the tiny screen, I would like to have the 10in screen of the Kindle DX but I can't pay $299 for a 3 year old e-read technology.

Thanks,

gak0090

pakopako wrote:Android handles memory a bit differently than a desktop OS would. Unless you're installing and/or emulating a desktop OS in your tablet, 2GB of RAM is overkill for most tablet apps.

Of course, if possible, it is better to have more than less (especially for the same price). The next iteration of the Transformer Infinity (which is codenamed Transformer... Infinity -- I don't get it either) is claiming to have an extra GB of RAM.

I realize that- but at the same time if a tablet with those specs was released today it would for sure have 2GB RAM. My Galaxy S4 has 2GB RAM. The RAM utilization has increased, and the more background applications/widgets/bling/lanchers you have running, the more resident RAM they occupy. Android will close out programs to free up RAM when needed, but it's nice just to have that extra RAM there to use.

scotttampa

gak0090 wrote:I realize that- but at the same time if a tablet with those specs was released today it would for sure have 2GB RAM. My Galaxy S4 has 2GB RAM. The RAM utilization has increased, and the more background applications/widgets/bling/lanchers you have running, the more resident RAM they occupy. Android will close out programs to free up RAM when needed, but it's nice just to have that extra RAM there to use.

Agree, at any given moment I always have over a gig in use on my samsung note 10

gak0090

pakopako wrote:Don't suppose you know of any benchmarking programs? I'm curious as to the differences between the Tegra3 quad-core (1.6 GHz) found in today's Iconia vs the Exynos A15 dual-core (1.7 GHz) found in the Google Nexus line.

You're right on with that. The Exynos A15 dual core does set many very good benchmarks, in addition the GPU Mali-T604 that is very nice processor. This is an interesting comparison using Ubuntu http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_exynos5_dual&num=1

But benchmarks don't tell he whole story, and in fact some apps (mostly games) might be optimized to run on nvidia chipset. You can't lose either way, both are very good processors.

gak0090

scotttampa wrote:Wow!

The Galaxy Note is a great tablet (especially if you need to use the drawing/writing- it's the best!)

But if you aren't going to be drawing/writing much with the S-pen, I would go with today's Acer that has a better resolution 1920 x 1200 vs 1280 x 800 for the note.

scotttampa

gak0090 wrote:The Galaxy Note is a great tablet (especially if you need to use the drawing/writing- it's the best!)

But if you aren't going to be drawing/writing much with the S-pen, I would go with today's Acer that has a better resolution 1920 x 1200 vs 1280 x 800 for the note.

I think I agree, from reviews... I have the samsung note and want this just to see what it is like, sure it could use another gig ram, but it may be fine with 1, I will soon see... paid extra 7.00 for overnight shipping hehehe

gak0090

scotttampa wrote:I think I agree, from reviews... I have the samsung note and want this just to see what it is like, sure it could use another gig ram, but it may be fine with 1, I will soon see... paid extra 7.00 for overnight shipping hehehe

I would snap this up in a second, but my wife would neuter me with a pair of pliers. We currently have: Asus Transformer,Nexus 7, 2 x Acer a500, Ainol Novo7 (imitation nexus 7), elocity A7+, 2 x 11.3 in Exopc tablets running windows 8.

scotttampa

gak0090 wrote:I would snap this up in a second, but my wife would neuter me with a pair of pliers. We currently have: Asus Transformer,Nexus 7, 2 x Acer a500, Ainol Novo7 (imitation nexus 7), elocity A7+, 2 x 11.3 in Exopc tablets running windows 8.

Lol thats funny... I got a bit in trouble too lol... looks like you have a great collection! It is fun to keep up with technology though...

crackedlcd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crackedlcd

I just couldn't stand it. I pulled the trigger this afternoon on this, my first Woot!

Aside from the proprietary charger it looks like a cracking good tablet. I'm mostly going for magazine/book reading, surfing the internet and maybe listening to music at home, so it seems to be more than adequate.

I'm happy Woot put this up, I've been wanting to see a new tablet with higher resolution since forever. And this is it!

aklferris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aklferris

similar to one of the posters above me, I'm holding off for the deals on the Asus Transformers to pop back up (specifically the 300 series w/ dock or 700 series)

budd0413

quality posts: 5 Private Messages budd0413

I'm going to have to say the battery specs do not look too good

Villainous Victorian Velociraptor, We Carves People, Fuming Mad, Air Defense, Chucknorium, Seasons Greatings, The Umbrellas, On The Road Again, Come On, Capon, Meme Parade, Be my Chum, longshot #1, tofu: foods master of disguise, Rosebud, Fractal Tree, Coffee Levels Critical, By your powers combined, Poker game, Too much catnip

fiosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiosman

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous
ThunderThighs wrote:Please accept my apologies on their behalf. I'm sure it was just human error.

tis ok, no big deal really.
I caught up with happened over here.

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5506913

gak0090

fiosman wrote:Which is better today's Woot or the Note 10.1?

Both are great tablets. The Note would be better if you plan on using the s-pen for writing/drawing- it's unsurpassed in how it works because of the wacom digitizer. If that doesn't matter much to you, today's acer has much better resolution 1920 x 1200 vs 1280 x 800 for the note- so for viewing multimedia - the acer wins out. Either way it's a win-win.

fiosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiosman
gak0090 wrote:Both are great tablets. The Note would be better if you plan on using the s-pen for writing/drawing- it's unsurpassed in how it works because of the wacom digitizer. If that doesn't matter much to you, today's acer has much better resolution 1920 x 1200 vs 1280 x 800 for the note- so for viewing multimedia - the acer wins out. Either way it's a win-win.

Thanks for the reply

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze
sucker4crap wrote:]

I would really like to go for this, but yet another propitiatory charger, makes this a no go for me. This Amazon reviewer points out how the charger & port are a problem: "HOWEVER, a big CON of this tablet is its charger. The little plug that goes into the tablet can be easily broken. It is not a standard charger either. It is 18W. While a standard micro USB will fit (like you find on most other tablets/smartphones), those will barely charge the tablet. It can take a couple of days with the tablet off to charge it fully. You MUST have the charger it came with. Here's the kicker, not only is it easily broken, but it's difficult to replace and expensive to do so. ACER is the only company that makes the particular charger needed (even though many websites, including AMAZON say others are compatible--those only give you that trickle charge) and it costs $20, plus another $10 shipping. I've seen it on other websites, some with free shipping, but it's going to be a MINIMUM of $20 for this charger that breaks. I broke my first charger within 2 weeks. I thought it was my fault, but when I got another, even with gentle use of just plugging in at night, unplugging in the morning, it broke AGAIN after 3 months. Waiting for ACER to reply to my complaints and pleas for them to re-engineer the charger. "

Amazon Review
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-ICONIA-A700-10s32u-10-1-Inch-Tablet/product-reviews/B0083PR7NC/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_next_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I have an Acer A200 and I believe it has the same charger. I've had it for over a year with nearly daily use and have never broken the charger. I think it would be close to impossible to break it by just pushing it in or pulling it out, it would need to be sideways pressure to break it. I plug mine in and set it out of the way when charging. No problems.

jet314

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jet314
scotttampa wrote:Now THATS what im sayn lol!

Oh my...OH MY...I pulled the trigger. Add another...now to sell the G-Tablet...