WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Around this time of year, everyone begins to think of only one thing: the end of the world. What? Are WE the only ones who do that? Anyway, Scott's put together the usual five-song playlist and picked out some enjoyable end-of-the-world songs that you might want to close out your existence with. Here's the first one… IF THERE'S TIME!!!

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes - Annihilation Mix

You have to hand it to the British, nothing America ever produced could be as simultaneously chilling and helpful as the words "Mine is the last voice you will ever hear." Add in that beautiful synth-bass and you've got a track that prepares you to dance, right up until the bombs land. Bonus: I think that might be Rimmer from Red Dwarf doing the Reagan voice!

See you after the jump. Jump like your life depends on it!

Now, don't feel that all apocalypses have to be global. One can be doomed on a local scale too.

Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)

When Billy Joel did this song, New York had pretty much been abandoned by the government. There was unemployment, crime, and Escape From New York didn't seem implausible. And yet, it was still considered to be a heart of music and entertainment, and there were still people who just wouldn't leave. Billy Joel's tribute to the last days of the Empire State wasn't just about saying good-bye, though, because it was partially a reminder. Even when things end, they're never totally gone.

Skeeter Davis - End Of The World

Hey, the end is the end. And when a love affair is over, not even a bomb shelter will help you escape from the pain. If that's not an apocalypse, what is?

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around

Johnny Cash went out a dark and sinister figure, which is no mean feat from a guy who once recorded a song like this. But this story of the Biblical end of the world is pretty powerful in its simplicity. It's no wonder that Johnny Cash is as famous now as he was when he was alive.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell

Naturally, when the world ends, there's only one place left for most of us. But, hey, at least all the coolest people will be there too, right? Maybe one can take some comfort from that as the eternal fires of damnation lap at one's delicate toes.

Before it's all over, throw your own end of the world songs into the comments, then hit up our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

hot72chev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hot72chev

Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction
http://youtu.be/qfZVu0alU0I
(Sorry I don't know how to add a video!)

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M.
"1999" by Prince
"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

What could say apocalypse like a Martian Invasion?

Yay - Jeff Wayne's musical war of the worlds
Yay - the Eve of the War
Where's the Hershey's - that dancing...

mossygreen

quality posts: 74 Private Messages mossygreen

Hmm, first thought was '80's nuclear apocalypse fears:

Two Suns in the Sunset is blocked in the USA, but we'll always have demos:

Remember when people thought Reagan was a monster on the verge of blowing up the world, rather than mostly a nice suit and a great head of hair? XTC's concern is adorable because nothing happened.

And then I remembered one of the greatest songs in the world:
The Four Horsemen by Aphrodite's Child:

CatCK

quality posts: 51 Private Messages CatCK

"99 Luftballons" by Nena
A non-English song that made the US charts. (A translated version also charted.) I've heard different interpretations of the song's meaning. The most common explanation I've heard is that during the Cold War some kids let some balloons fly free and they accidently cross into enemy airspace, and they're mistaken for rockets (or UFOs, I've heard both), and nuclear war results.

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

• Morning Dew by the Grateful Dead
  • Talking World War III Blues by Bob Dylan
  • A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall by Bob Dylan
  • Before the Deluge by Jackson Browne
  • Wooden Ships by the Jefferson Airplane/Crosby, Stills & Nash
  • Watchin' Joey Glow by Steve Goodman

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

meatloafninja

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meatloafninja

Needs more hiphop and metal:

Cellz - MF Doom
Virus - Deltron
Crash - Public Enemy
Skeletons of Society - Slayer
Four More Years - Warrior Soul

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

If the world's coming to an end, we may as well make it fun.

Tom Lehrer: "We Will All Go Together When We Go"

Weird Al Yankovic: "Christmas At Ground Zero"

kanedax

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kanedax

Technically post-Apocalyptic, but Moby's "Southside" might cover the bases.

http://youtu.be/vV0KmOYfomM

Woot x13
ShirtWoot x26
KidsWoot x5

dwootshrute

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dwootshrute

Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" was used to great effect in the "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" TV series. I think that was where I first heard it.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

What could possibly be more apocolyptic than Snakes on a Plane
"Kiss me good bye - I'm not gonna make it out alive..."

Oh, right. Zombies.
Um.
I invoked Jonathan Coulton last week, so I'll call upon the discography of Lemon Demon instead. "Bad idea" is a Lemon Demon song about getting a little lost and ending up in a town overrun teh undead.

"Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" is an everybody vs everybody fight (which is vaguely akin to dividing by zero).

"When Robots Attack" is pretty gritty as well.

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars

According to a 2003 interview with vocalist Robbie Grey, the song is about a couple making love as nuclear bombs fall.

Modern English - "I Melt With You"

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

I'd swear we did this one like a couple months back.... Oh well!

Time for a different kind of apocalypse.

Fugazi - Smallpox Champion - YouTube

Apparently embedding videos eludes me and the formatting guides instructions are of no help.

opentunings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages opentunings

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Randy Newman's "Let's Drop the Big One" yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGO42gvCSPI

hot72chev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hot72chev

Also surprised no one mentioned "In the Year 2525" by Zager and Evans
[http://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic/url]

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
strawhousepig wrote:I'd swear we did this one like a couple months back.... Oh well!

Time for a different kind of apocalypse.

Fugazi - Smallpox Champion - YouTube

Apparently embedding videos eludes me and the formatting guides instructions are of no help.

+1 for fugazi. I'm having trouble thinking up a song right now But to answer your question to embed youtube videos you do this: (substitute parentheses for brackets)
(youtube=123456789)(/youtube) where 123456789 is the last digits in the youtube link. so for this video it would be (youtube=C75Aw9-BsTc)(/youtube)

Junkbond trader by Elliott smith isn't necessarily about the end of the world but it just started playing and that song paints a pretty abysmal scene.

I'll come back when i think up a better song i promise

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

I swear I did it right last night.... Lemme try again.

Well I'll be, you're a genius Dann!

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

so i come home to relax, put on one of my favorite records and this song comes on
Modest Mouse - Bury Me With It

Yet another Music Monday tainted by Modest Mouse. Dealwithit.gif