dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
Denimbear wrote:Ive had some "higher" end knives and they didnt cut no better than the cheap /dollar store knives. The only thing Fancy about them is the name . Sorry Woot

The thing that makes me mad bout these Videos is all the food that they waste. I mean with all the kids going to bed hungry . And they are wasting food on this BS you know . would be so bad if they donated it to the homeless shelters . Or to hungry kids . JMO is all

If you are that worried about food waste you should NEVER,NEVER eat in any restaurant.Anyone who has worked in one can verify that.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
Afessler wrote:Anyone have or know of a reliable sharpening business where one could get these knives serviced for a reasonable fee?

How about free sharpening for life from the maker?
http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/warranty

maskddingo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maskddingo
reduxion wrote:Was anyone else like "oh my god, he just threw away the best part!" when he cut off the heel and threw it away? #youbastard

Yeah! I always go for the 'bumps'... throw out the rest.

engben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages engben
Afessler wrote:Anyone have or know of a reliable sharpening business where one could get these knives serviced for a reasonable fee?

Shun sharpens the knives for free!

http://www.surlatable.com/images/pdfs/Shun_Sharpening.pdf

Zlog

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zlog

We have a block of Shuns that we got right after our wedding and we couldn't be happier with them. We've only had to sharpen a couple of the knives (The ones that get the most use) and had a friend drop the parrying knife in the sink which broke off the tiniest little chunk of the tip and put a tiny chip in the edge. We called Shun and they simply replaced it for free. The durability of these knives are amazing and they are still sharper than the Henkel set and Wustoff set that two other couples we know have had for half the time. (sorry, thats a terribly confusing sentence).

Hoogs88

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hoogs88

I eagerly await the day I am wealthy enough to drop over $200 on a few knives. That will be a good day indeed...

netcub

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netcub

Does anyone know if these come individually packaged in boxes? So I can give gifts?

scotchnsodie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotchnsodie

If I should ever be dissatisfied with my Wusthof knives (but I'm not), I'd totally buy a Shun set. This one is definitely a step up in quality from my mid-grade set, but not as comprehensive. Of course, then I'd need to replace my bread knife and my sandwich spreader, which is the greatest thing since... well...

dr150

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dr150

This set is overpriced (smaller size, big price). Too much redundancy in this offering.

Btw, it's unfair to compare Shun to Wusthof/Henckels. The steel is different! German steel (the good ones Made in Germany, not lower end sets Made in China) is more FORGIVING, won't chip(!), and easier to self sharpen. Japanese steel is more brittle (chippy) but slightly sharper due the sharpening angle and hardness, the sharpness will last a smidge longer (not enough to warrant an "Oh! Mr. Goodbar!! this is so much better" attitude).

The German brands purposely use different steel due to their philosophy--not inferiority. Horses for courses, folks.

People use knives in different ways. Some will cut on a glass plate or wash them in the machine. If you abuse your knives, German is the way to go. If you use and wipe your knife right after, have a $100 whetstone, rub some oil in a lovingly manner and say a prayer, then Japanese could work for you. Japanese steel requires dedication(!)

Anyone who's serious about knives, regardless of country, will learn sharpening skills and know how to care for them to prevent wear and rusting.

I own both German and Japanese steel and I'm happy with both and use them for DIFFERENT purposes. Each has their merits and place in a Yuppie kitchen (though pros roll their eyes and use cheap knives but have the SKILLS to hone and sharpen them regularly to create their cookbook presentations...i.e. these knives are unnecessary and $$$ overkill for a pro).
P.S. There's a reason Shun took the boning knife in this offering and made it with AUS8A steel instead of the harder VG10. Harder VG10 steel on bone will chip in no time due to the thin blade.....again horses for courses. Different philosophies for different purposes.

mcdude9999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcdude9999
teddypimp21 wrote:I'm a huge fan of sandwiches; honestly I can eat them for every meal. I went through the process of calculating the price of making an excellent spicy chicken and bacon sandwich at home (chicken seasoned with adobo pepper, garlic, and lime marinade).

I can buy boneless chicken breast on average at $2.50 a pound (2 servings / 1 lb for me), a nice loaf of bread for the sandwich for $1 (1 sandwich), romaine lettuce ($.99 / 1 lb, 12 servings per lb), mayo for $2.99 (60 servings), tomato at $1.39/lb (9 servings per 1 lb), bacon at $5.99 (5 servings), seasoning for the chicken at $2 (seasons 8 lbs of chicken), and cheese at $5.49 lb (24 slices - 12 servings)

Based on this, the sandwich would cost me on average 4.44 each time.

Subsequently, the same type of sandwich (Mesquite-Chicken-Sub) can be purchased at Quiznos for 6.29 for regular or 7.79 for the large. After calculating tax and tip those sandwiches come to 7.61 & 9.43. (6% tax & 15% tip) {And before you mock Quiznos, it's just an easy standard that is also relatively delicious}

Now, the price of the knife for me with shipping and no tax is $234.99. Based on that; I would break even on the knife set, if i used it for nothing other than delicious sandwiches, after either 75 regular sized sandwiches or 48 large sized sandwiches.

Lets say you eat sandwiches only at work; and in a given work week, you bring your lunch 4 times a week (Tammy from accounting just loves to go out and get Thai food on Tuesdays). It would take you just under 18 weeks of sandwich making for regular sandwiches, or 12 weeks of sandwich making for large sandwiches to reach your delicious sandwich goal.

You, sir, are a terrible tipper.

timtlm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timtlm

Did anyone notice the Bricks of Chocolate that just popped up? My woot checker pulled it up, but was sold out on the checkout screen.

NVM: just realized there's a sellout wootoff going on.

tcreighton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcreighton1

The best way to keep and maintain sharpness is to use the honing steel regularly. I use it every time I pull the knife out of my knife block.
The steel doesn't sharpen but rather straightens the edge of the blade.

zackeeus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zackeeus

For what it's worth, my wife and I received a set of Shun knives (albeit different models than these) for our wedding about 6 years ago. They are the ONLY knives we go to for anything requiring more than a butter knife. The ergonomics are awesome and the blades amazing.

I bought an electric asian knife sharpener--Asian knife blades are cut at a sharper angle than German or American blades--but I rarely use it. My knives stay like razors just by storing them and occasionally running them across a honing steel (as others have noted).

zackeeus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zackeeus
...Each has their merits and place in a Yuppie kitchen (though pros roll their eyes and use cheap knives but have the SKILLS to hone and sharpen them regularly to create their cookbook presentations...i.e. these knives are unnecessary and $$$ overkill for a pro).

Pros use cheap knives? Really? With the exception of celebrity chefs (e.g. Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart) using their own crappy knives as product placement, I think serious chefs and sous chefs generally use high-end blades.

scphillips

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scphillips
testudoaubreii wrote:Sometimes I feel like the discussions on knives, especially fancy ones like these, devolve into the same kind of thing as when Apple devices come up for sale.

++

mikegrmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikegrmi

I asked the wife what she thought about this set and she said she has been looking for a 8 inch boner for a long time, says a 6 inch just doesn't get the job done. She had one years ago but lost it and has been looking for another ever since. I was thinking of getting her one for her birthday.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
mikegrmi wrote:I asked the wife what she thought about this set and she said she has been looking for a 8 inch boner for a long time, says a 6 inch just doesn't get the job done. She had one years ago but lost it and has been looking for another ever since. I was thinking of getting her one for her birthday.

Did she lose it....or did you lose it?

Alison Gail Bixby

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Alison Gail Bixby
sdownin wrote:Shuns are ludicrously sharp knives. They cut VERY easily and make VERY clean cuts. A benefit of a very clean cut is that it heals over nicely. I can barely even see the scar unless I'm really looking for it.

And you barely feel the cut! I've only cut myself twice with my Shuns, but didn't notice until I saw the blood.
Anyway, in for this set, as it fills in a couple of blanks in my collection. Favorite knives ever are their Kai 8" chefs and 6" classic serrated. Still haven't learned to use the Santoku, but I'm getting this set mostly for the boner, I mean boning knife.

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57

Opinions are great, aren't they?

overground

quality posts: 0 Private Messages overground
marklog wrote:I'm thinking of this to replace my trusty Miracle Blades... any idea where the best place to store these knives would be? Wood Block? Magnetic strip? Directly into the kitchen wall? Flung into the ceiling?

A magnetic strip affixed directly into the kitchen wall is the ideal storage scheme for quality knives. ;)

pagv0098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pagv0098

SHUN guarantees their knives for life. Food Network chef/personality Alton Brown suggests sending in your SHUN knives once a year because their blades are sharpened on such a thin angle, they dull much quicker.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

netcub wrote:Does anyone know if these come individually packaged in boxes? So I can give gifts?

I asked that yesterday just for you, netcub!

They do not. They will come together in a brown box. Nothing keeping you from creating your own gift box though.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mikegrmi wrote:I asked the wife what she thought about this set and she said she has been looking for a 8 inch boner for a long time, says a 6 inch just doesn't get the job done. She had one years ago but lost it and has been looking for another ever since. I was thinking of getting her one for her birthday.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

charliekwalker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages charliekwalker

I do not need these knives, but damn I am seriously tempted to pull the trigger.

kellykg1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellykg1

One glass of wine to many and now an owner😀

txhagen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages txhagen

But, for $130 you can buy like, what?, 16 $3 knives?

Okay, My math needs some work. More like, 437 $3 knives. I bet I could make 186 cuts with 282 $3 knives.

Yeah, I'm in for 24 of these.

esgipson wrote:Knives are just like pretty much everything else; to the uninitiated, all knives perform the same function, therefore there is no reason to spend this kind of money on one. If you don't really ever drink wine, why would you ever pay 50 dollars for a bottle when you can get 2 Buck Chuck? Don't by the Ferrari when the Kia performs the same basic task. I use knives professionally, and while I don't own these, there is a place and a function for ultra high end products. Try making 400 consecutive cuts with a 3 dollar knife. I've done it with a $130 Wusthof; can't say the same for a 3 dollar knife.

dmiller62

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmiller62

There are going to be those that just dont like to see pricing like this, but the price of way too good to pass up.. That is so far below dealer its crazy... And those that complain about the cost, clearly dont appreciate ABOVE quality Standard! And probably are the same people that are driving a kia and Sour Patching about the guy you see driving a BMW.. Hands down, the BMW is a far better car! While the KIA will suffice , it is NOT a Beamer..

As far as the steel and sharpness, most have never used a Shun, or would know the difference.. A simple touch of the cutting edge will show you quickly just how good they are..

I own the Edo line, as well as Wusthof classic, and a few ken onions i prefer.. And the Edo line is by far the best ive used as far as food not sticking.. The way out perform my Wusthoff, and i do like the wusthof.... You want a good way to tell. Use a RAW potato.. The wusthof chefs knife will cling every potato, while the Edo will not, the potato seperates quite easily from the knife..

as far as sharpening.. you will not be sending in to Shun that ofter.. every 2-3 yrs. max if you use alot.. Do what you are SUPPOSED to do.. when you own a high end set (actually any good set), you are SUPPOSED to hone the blade every time you use it.. It takes all of 2 seconds, and you will retain that sharpness for years, its called maintenance.. If your against doing it, then stick with your $3 knives.. and stop the complaining..

[MOD EDIT: DON'T BE STARTIN' NO FLAME WARZ YO!But...good post]

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg
charliekwalker wrote:I do not need these knives, but damn I am seriously tempted to pull the trigger.

Same here. I enjoy cooking and like a good knife. I mainly want these knives because they are gorgeous! lol

rgkeller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgkeller

A good place to check with is a hair dresser in your area. Alot of them have someone come by to sharpen their scissors.