WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever had your identity stolen?
  • 4% - Yes, it was devastating 91
  • 17.8% - Yes, it was an annoyance 404
  • 78.2% - Not that I know of... what are you getting at, Woot? 1777
2272 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

And I stole it back. With a vengeance.

debbilh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debbilh

I found out when denied an application for an apartment. It took hours and hours of tracking down what the creditors were talking about. A cleaning person at the company I worked stole information from my desk: insurance numbers used to be your SSN. Although I've never been to Indiana my evil twin sure has, opening credit accounts, running them up, and then abandoning them.

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

By the legal definition, yes. Some dude in Hong Kong hacked my paypal account and bought some stuff on eBay.

hot72chev

quality posts: 12 Private Messages hot72chev

Yes, after exposing my credit card number with a questionable internet purchase, my card was compromised and someone purchased a $500 camera and a $800 computer, changed the address on my account, and had it all shipped to California. I informed the credit card company, so I did not have to pay, but then the credit card company shipped my replacement card to the fraudulent California address! Needless to say, I am done with them as well as the questionable internet company.

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

SumDuud

quality posts: 22 Private Messages SumDuud

Had a session stolen from making a review on walmart.com and the person bought some digital gift cards.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

Other than some dipshite somehow ordering some extremely expensive (and not all that great truth be told) meat from Omaha Meats I have never had that happen to me. In the case of the meat the bank returned the funds to my account and the meat wound up coming to my house. My father, however, DID once have his identity stolen. Some 8-ball opened several credit cards in my father's name, charged over $45 grand on them and then skipped on the bill (naturally). First thing I knew of it, I was getting harassing phone calls from collection agencies demanding they be paid. I refused and after finding out the date when the cards were opened advised the meathead at the other end that my father absolutely DID NOT open those accounts. The dingleberries-for-brains must have known a little and in a very snotty manner asked me if I could PROVE that my father hadn't opened those accounts to which I replied in the affirmative. At this the dumbass pounced and sneered that it is impossible to prove a negative. I allowed as how as a rule that was so but that this case was the exception that proved the rule. I advised the Goobers that I had official government documents that would prove conclusively that my father did not open those accounts. I went further and advised the Milk Duds that those documents I mentioned proved ABSOLUTELY that my father COULD NOT POSSIBLY have opened the accounts in question. Then I dropped the bombshell on his ass. Confirming the date the accounts were opened, I advised the nasty, small-souled nitwit that I was in possession of a DEATH CERTIFICATE for my father, issued by the state of New Mexico dated over TWO YEARS before the cards were applied for. This time he had no comeback. I further advised this most monumental waste of protoplasm that I also had U.S. Government (Department of Veterans' Affairs) documentation certifying the date and time my father's remains were interred at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery. Kinda hard to argue with official documents. Anyhow I faxed the collection agency a copy of the Death Certificate and never heard from them again. See? It really IS possible - on extremely rare occasions - to prove a negative.

jlpaul65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlpaul65

Not my Identity, but my Credit Card info. I find it rather coincidental that after trying to place an order on Woot yesterday and due to the Paypal-Woot fiasco, had to enter credit card data, that this morning I get a call from my CC Fraud Detection department about new charges in Malaysia.....

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

And I probably won't. I have so much protection on my computer that....

I OWN YOU!

mkmiller

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mkmiller

The identity thieves feel sorry for me that I have even less money than they do because I buy so much stuff from woot.

• 4/1/07 $1,000,000 Random carp
  • 3/10/07 Logitech Harmony 659
  • 12/25/06 Random carp
  • 11/6/06 iRobot Roomba Discovery SE
  • 10/12/06 Seagate 250GB SATA HD
  • 9/29/06 Vector JumpStart Sys
  • 9/14/06 LaCrosse Wrist BP monitor
  • 9/13/06 Razer Diamondback Chameleon Mouse
  • 8/17/06 Dirt Devil VacnMop
  • 8/6/06 Hamilton Beach 4qt Ice Cream Maker
  • 8/4/06 Netgear WPN824 Wireless Router
  • 8/1/06 Logitech Cordless XBOX headset 2pk
  • 7/18/06 Cobra FRS/GMRS Radio 2pk

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
CyborgBill wrote:Other than some dipshite somehow ordering some extremely expensive (and not all that great truth be told) meat from Omaha Meats I have never had that happen to me. In the case of the meat the bank returned the funds to my account and the meat wound up coming to my house. My father, however, DID once have his identity stolen. Some 8-ball opened several credit cards in my father's name, charged over $45 grand on them and then skipped on the bill (naturally). First thing I knew of it, I was getting harassing phone calls from collection agencies demanding they be paid. I refused and after finding out the date when the cards were opened advised the meathead at the other end that my father absolutely DID NOT open those accounts. The dingleberries-for-brains must have known a little and in a very snotty manner asked me if I could PROVE that my father hadn't opened those accounts to which I replied in the affirmative. At this the dumbass pounced and sneered that it is impossible to prove a negative. I allowed as how as a rule that was so but that this case was the exception that proved the rule. I advised the Goobers that I had official government documents that would prove conclusively that my father did not open those accounts. I went further and advised the Milk Duds that those documents I mentioned proved ABSOLUTELY that my father COULD NOT POSSIBLY have opened the accounts in question. Then I dropped the bombshell on his ass. Confirming the date the accounts were opened, I advised the nasty, small-souled nitwit that I was in possession of a DEATH CERTIFICATE for my father, issued by the state of New Mexico dated over TWO YEARS before the cards were applied for. This time he had no comeback. I further advised this most monumental waste of protoplasm that I also had U.S. Government (Department of Veterans' Affairs) documentation certifying the date and time my father's remains were interred at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery. Kinda hard to argue with official documents. Anyhow I faxed the collection agency a copy of the Death Certificate and never heard from them again. See? It really IS possible - on extremely rare occasions - to prove a negative.

The comeuppance is epic. But the situation is terrible. I'm sorry that ever happened to you.

brumagem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brumagem

Some dude in Georgia likes to file taxes in my name in the hopes of getting a refund.

Jokes on him :' D

momness1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momness1

I found an online purchase for WalMart the day after they placed the order to ship to NYC...WalMart fraud ppl were great and so was the CC co. Il live in IL and the fraud ppl found I hadn't purchased from WalMart in over ten yrs...

first2summit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages first2summit

I've posted this before on questions but it's worth repeating.

A near surefire way of protecting your identity and credit is to freeze your credit reports with the 3 credit reporting agencies. For a one time $10 fee with each agency, you can stop anyone new from pulling a credit report which means no new credit cards, loans, etc. For a $10 fee and your PIN, you can unfreeze it permanently or temporarily from 1-30 days.

All those credit protection services are after the fact - they've already applied for the loan/card etc and you're just trying to clean up. Freezing your credit reports doesn't allow the thief to get the loan.

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30

Just two days ago someone was able to call my cellular company, change the following on my account:

name, address, home phone and email address. I received a text message from the company regarding the change which is how I found out.

The fraud department was very nice and good at changing everything back. I did have to answer some questions that I had to dig my memory for to prove I was who I was claiming. Like my former address, (I've lived in the same house for 20 years so I had to think about that one), there were some others as well.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill
Moueska wrote:The comeuppance is epic. But the situation is terrible. I'm sorry that ever happened to you.

Thanks for your concern. I have had other occasions to shut down a bill collector.

My mother and brother died 4 days apart. My folks had very little and I felt no compunctions about helping the bill collectors. My brother died virtually indigent living on SSI.

One time someone called DEMANDING to speak to my mother. I advised them that they could speak to her there but if they wanted an answer, they would need to retain the services of someone like John Edwards or Allison Du Boise or James van Praugh (three prominent "psychics" of the time) if they wanted an answer. When they growled that they didn't recognize any of those names, I simply told them that if they wanted to carry on a 2-way conversation with my mother then they frakking well better hire a MEDIUM. {click}

Another time someone was trying to get hold of my brother. I tried to be nice but they kept pushing. They finally asked if I knew where {my brother's name} was. I said "Sure!" Then the caller demanded
"Well, where is he?"
"Right at this moment?"
"F**k yes! Right at this moment!"
"Well, to the best of my knowledge {my brother} is in a baggie, in a box on my baby sister's MANTLE!!!"

Funny thing, she didn't have a comeback for that.