WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Asus 17.3" Full HD Core i7 Gaming Laptop

Speed to First Woot:
8m 26.881s
First Sucker:
thyme3333
Last Wooter to Woot:
steveyz19
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 44% of Woot.com Woots
Top 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 19% of Woot.com Woots
Top 14% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 35% first woot
  • 12% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 10% < 25 woots
  • 14% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 28% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 19% one year old
  • 49% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

14%
7%
2%
1%
1%
2%
1%
2%
4%
4%
5%
4%
4%
4%
3%
3%
4%
4%
4%
9%
4%
4%
6%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Item: Asus 17.3" Full HD Core i7 Gaming Laptop
Price: $999.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

falcon7009


quality posts: 1 Private Messages falcon7009

I currently am using this computer and I love it. besides the crap HDD "note that it is incredibly easy to add an SSD. just a few things on the bottom and slide it in" "OHHHHH YAAAA!".... its a great computer capable of handling games well. it cant go full ultra on some games but it can get you damn close with some tweaks. pretty good price. i bought mine a year ago for 1350. cheers hope this helps!

lichme


quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Take a look at some good reviews from Amazon

lichme


quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

voidmagus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages voidmagus
falcon7009 wrote:note that it is incredibly easy to add an SSD



I have one of the similar models (definitely the same case) from a few years ago. While upgrading to SSD is really easy, upgrading the RAM is not. 4 slots - 2 are easily accessible, 1 requires as full a teardown as you can do without voiding the warranty, and 1 will void your warranty. Otherwise, no complaints. There are some nice youtube guides on disassembly too.

whitenite


quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitenite

I have this exact laptop. I consider it faster in many regards to my full tower running AMD 1100T. I've been using it for the last 6 months. I added a SSD and some more ram to mine. It boots Win8 in 5-10 secs flat from full power off to web browser open ready to go. It can play most new release PC games with decent settings, not max out. The picture quality is great. The built-in speakers are decent. The laptop stays cooled due to the fan blowing the heat exhaust out the back. This is not a light laptop. Definitely a desktop replacement. Just as one of the above comments, I paid nearly $1300 six months ago.

Note: The bluetooth on this laptop sucks. I was never able to get mine to work properly. It is a known problem on the Asus forums.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3157 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out some additional info, straight from asus.com

wonbadan


quality posts: 8 Private Messages wonbadan

I, too, am using the same laptop for the past year without issue. It is blazing fast (provided that you install an SSD for OS).

The only downside: lousy wifi card with poor range/speed. I replaced it with an intel one.

haveabigjohnson


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

Should I be worried if there have been sales but no states have been lit up? Is it the end of the world? I am not a prepper!

rustybender


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rustybender

Add me to the list of owners. I have basically the same model except mine has a Blu-ray drive. I bought mine in early June and paid about $100 more for it. So far I'm happy. I wouldn't let the OS stop you. Learning Windows 8 hasn't been fun but after a month I'm getting used to it and haven't felt the urge to downgrade. This thing boots crazy fast, even before I added an SSD

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

haveabigjohnson wrote:Should I be worried if there have been sales but no states have been lit up? Is it the end of the world? I am not a prepper!

We've been having some problems with that old map this week. Needs a swift kick.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

timbrrr


quality posts: 4 Private Messages timbrrr

Weird / tempting that this would come up. I just started researching gaming laptops this week after never really paying attention to pc gaming as an option at all. (Lifetime console with an 80s c64 fling)

I'm still having trouble decoding pc feature specs (processor / video card, etc) but aren't there some better deals on newer / higher specced models? (Lenovo Y510p for example [smaller screen i know])

Craig234


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

My concern with a gaming laptop versus a gaming desktop is the graphics card. I'm concerned that the laptop is a bottleneck on that.

jakerson9


quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9
Craig234 wrote:My concern with a gaming laptop versus a gaming desktop is the graphics card. I'm concerned that the laptop is a bottleneck on that.



You are right, Craig - the graphics card in this laptop *IS* a bottleneck, and it is extremely difficult to think about upgrading the graphics or cpu on a laptop. In this case, however, it is a bottleneck about a half mile wide, in 2013 terms. Here's some info on the bottleneck from NotebookCheck:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-660M.71859.0.html

davidmcbeth3


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcbeth3

first..its a asus ... not a sony or top of the line man.

second ... I am guessing it is an OK/good gaming machine but not great

third .... 1000 dollars ... that's 1K ! Wait for school sales and get this type of system for much less. The graphics card is OK (better are out there) but not 1K great. The i7 is OK but is rather old version (2-3 yrs for the i7 ~ must be better ones out there).

Overall: pass

engwadur


quality posts: 2 Private Messages engwadur

This laptop is fantastic for gaming! It runs what ever I throw at it. My husband has one and my best friend has one. I only wish I could have saved this much on this deal. I paid 1300 before taxes and insurance.

TSOG


quality posts: 3 Private Messages TSOG
Craig234 wrote:My concern with a gaming laptop versus a gaming desktop is the graphics card. I'm concerned that the laptop is a bottleneck on that.



The Lenovo Y510p addresses that with 2 GPUs.

wearemany


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearemany

I had one of these. there was a problem with the sound card cutting in and out :/

nebelhund


quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund
voidmagus wrote:I have one of the similar models (definitely the same case) from a few years ago. While upgrading to SSD is really easy, upgrading the RAM is not. 4 slots - 2 are easily accessible, 1 requires as full a teardown as you can do without voiding the warranty, and 1 will void your warranty. Otherwise, no complaints. There are some nice youtube guides on disassembly too.



I'm not sure which model you have but I have a ROG in this line about 3 1/2 years old and it had 3 RAM slots together and easy to get to and 1 under the keyboard which much harder to reach. I bought my son a newer one and it has all 4 slots easily accessible from a slot on the bottom.
Unless they really went backwards in terms of design with these....the RAM slots should be easy to get to.

nebelhund


quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund
davidmcbeth3 wrote:first..its a asus ... not a sony or top of the line man.

second ... I am guessing it is an OK/good gaming machine but not great

third .... 1000 dollars ... that's 1K ! Wait for school sales and get this type of system for much less. The graphics card is OK (better are out there) but not 1K great. The i7 is OK but is rather old version (2-3 yrs for the i7 ~ must be better ones out there).

Overall: pass



ASUS's ROG line is, and has been, pretty stellar in regards to gaming for several years. It is kind of like the Honda/Lexus deal. Honda owns Lexus which is their "premier" line.
The i7 processor is several years old but there are different generations in the i7 line. This particular processor came out in late 2012. It is not several years old by any means. It is a 3rd generation i7 proc.
I'm not sure if you have researched gaming laptop much but this is not a middle of the road gaming laptop.

nanaejt


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
nebelhund wrote:ASUS's ROG line is, and has been, pretty stellar in regards to gaming for several years. It is kind of like the Honda/Lexus deal. Honda owns Lexus which is their "premier" line.
The i7 processor is several years old but there are different generations in the i7 line. This particular processor came out in late 2012. It is not several years old by any means. It is a 3rd generation i7 proc.
I'm not sure if you have researched gaming laptop much but this is not a middle of the road gaming laptop.



Side note...Honda does not own Lexus,Toyota does. Honda has Acura.

nebelhund


quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund
nanaejt wrote:Side note...Honda does not own Lexus,Toyota does. Honda has Acura.


Doh...you are absolutely correct.

Honda - Acura
Toyota - Lexus
Nissan - Infiniti


chambers126


quality posts: 1 Private Messages chambers126

I've had one of these for about 8 months. I easily upgraded the RAM to 16 GB and added a 480 GB SSD. The graphics are top notch and the system flies. I work on the road ... easily fills in as an office PC away from home.

My only issue ... and it's a big one ... is Asus service. A "3 to 5 day" repair took 6 weeks and 2 trips. They didn't repair it the first trip (ethernet and DVD), lost it twice, and then shipped it to the wrong address. I spent at least 10 hours on the phone. And no, they don't speak English very well.

If it works, it's awesome. I've dealt with HP and Dell service. HP especially is not good, but they are 10 times better than Asus. All things considered, I would buy a Dell.

pmperry


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry

Some details here...

The machine has 2 Hard Drive Slots so adding a second is simple!

The GPU is on an MXM board so replacement later on might be possible.

The CPU is socketed so upgrade again possible.

2 RAM slots are empty so upgrading is very easy.

I replaced my desktop with this and my desktop was a core i5 2500k with 16 Gigs of RAM and a GTX 650. The windows experience scores for the two machines are pretty much identical.

As for gaming, Nvidia experience optimizes the game for you so everything runs awesome on this machine.

phrique


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phrique
davidmcbeth3 wrote:first..its a asus ... not a sony or top of the line man.

second ... I am guessing it is an OK/good gaming machine but not great

third .... 1000 dollars ... that's 1K ! Wait for school sales and get this type of system for much less. The graphics card is OK (better are out there) but not 1K great. The i7 is OK but is rather old version (2-3 yrs for the i7 ~ must be better ones out there).

Overall: pass



Sony makes top tier gaming laptops? What are you talking about?

The ASUS ROG line is one of the best out there right now. Do some research.

I've wooted too many wooting times.

Xenopax


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xenopax

The only way I could consider this is if I could extend the warranty to 3 years, is there a way to do that after purchasing from Woot through Asus?

xninjagrrl


quality posts: 7 Private Messages xninjagrrl
TSOG wrote:The Lenovo Y510p addresses that with 2 GPUs.



I'm with you on the Y-series Lenovos. My Y500 has better specs than this and only cost me $800 two months ago. I've already seen Y510 750M SLI deals for a grand or less. Those have haswell and I believe Optimus enabled. Yeah yeah I should have waited lol.

Pros: The pills were there.
Cons: So was the tank.

dewwars


quality posts: 2 Private Messages dewwars

What games do you guys throw at it?

jackamus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackamus

I was dumb and sold mine that I bought from Amazon.com a few weeks ago. No biggy, glad they had it here and cheaper (even though same company). I hate it will have Windows 8, my other one had Windows 7 Pro, so I will have to buy Win7Pro, as I hate Win8. I have a 256 SSD that I will load into this laptop and redconfigure. With an SSD, the thing really does FLY and it is a good, good laptop for gaming. Only issue I had with the last one was poor audio not coming out of the correct speakers. So, with this one, I hope it will work better for the audio.


I am not crazy, my mother had me tested!

KermodeBear


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KermodeBear

I have a gaming laptop with the nVidia 650M graphics card (the machine listed here has a 660M). The 650M is extremely capable. I imagine the 660M is even more so.

jackamus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackamus
rustybender wrote:Add me to the list of owners. I have basically the same model except mine has a Blu-ray drive. I bought mine in early June and paid about $100 more for it. So far I'm happy. I wouldn't let the OS stop you. Learning Windows 8 hasn't been fun but after a month I'm getting used to it and haven't felt the urge to downgrade. This thing boots crazy fast, even before I added an SSD



Do you happen to know if you can replace the DVD on this model and upgrade it to Bluray. I have an external, but I would rather carry around the laptop and an external blueray. Currently I have the external connected to my iMac.


I am not crazy, my mother had me tested!

pzaman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pzaman

I have the same laptop with Bluray. I use it to games while traveling and it plays Skyrim and WOW as well as my desktop. The graphics are incredible, i have 8 gigs of ram in mine and its wicked fast. It stays cool due to 2 jet engine looking exhaust ports in the back. I Paid $1100 on Buy.com over a year ago. I consider this price excellent for this exteme gaming machine. I called Asus support once because the screen wasn't powering up. They were very helpful, spoke good english and solved my problem in secs.

TheRaven


quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
falcon7009 wrote:I currently am using this computer and I love it. besides the crap HDD "note that it is incredibly easy to add an SSD. just a few things on the bottom and slide it in" "OHHHHH YAAAA!".... its a great computer capable of handling games well. it cant go full ultra on some games but it can get you damn close with some tweaks. pretty good price. i bought mine a year ago for 1350. cheers hope this helps!

It's not that easy to replace the 750GB 7200RPM hard drive with a SSD.

First off, there are no 750GB SSD drives. The Crucial M500 960GB drive is $599 on Amazon. The cheapest 500GB SSD I've seen on Amazon is the Samsung 840 for $320.00 and if you go with that you've just lost 250GB of storage space.

Second, Asus provides a special recovery partition on their machines HD's. They do this so if you totally screw it up (as many people do) you can easily recover it back to a factory state. If you just slap a new SSD in there you don't have this recovery partition or the OS and other stuff (drivers) that come with the machine.

To retain that you will need to do a complete image backup of the original hard drive and then restore that to your new SSD before you "slide it in".

This costs a fair amount of money and will take a good amount of time to do even if you already have hard drive imaging software and you know what you're doing.

Just making it clear that it's not as easy to do as it's being described above unless I'm missing something. :-)

The machine does look good however if you really need a laptop for gaming.

craigleslie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages craigleslie

i am currently using a inspiron 15z. full 1080 touch screen, i7, backlight on keyboard, optical drive (the last ultrabook to have one) scull candy speakers, SSD, maxed out RAM. 850$ after all taxes and exstra speakers. best buy. although i like asus, and this isn't THAT bad of a deal, you can get "just as good" for less.

craigleslie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages craigleslie
TheRaven wrote:It's not that easy to replace the 750GB 7200RPM hard drive with a SSD.

First off, there are no 750GB SSD drives. The Crucial M500 960GB drive is $599 on Amazon. The cheapest 500GB SSD I've seen on Amazon is the Samsung 840 for $320.00 and if you go with that you've just lost 250GB of storage space.

Second, Asus provides a special recovery partition on their machines HD's. They do this so if you totally screw it up (as many people do) you can easily recover it back to a factory state. If you just slap a new SSD in there you don't have this recovery partition or the OS and other stuff (drivers) that come with the machine.

To retain that you will need to do a complete image backup of the original hard drive and then restore that to your new SSD before you "slide it in".

This costs a fair amount of money and will take a good amount of time to do even if you already have hard drive imaging software and you know what you're doing.

Just making it clear that it's not as easy to do as it's being described above unless I'm missing something. :-)

The machine does look good however if you really need a laptop for gaming.



fyi, ssd space and regular space are not the same. so a ssd of 500, will stor far more then a regular 500, or even 750. thats what youre missing.

vcholman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcholman
TheRaven wrote:It's not that easy to replace the 750GB 7200RPM hard drive with a SSD.



This unit has two hard drive slots. Take the screws out of the hard drive cover, remove it and there is an empty slot. Insert your SSD and put the cover back on.

Then you make the SSD your boot disk and keep the other. Speeds up the start up and OS functions.

Twenty minute fix if you are absolutely clueless about computers. Five minutes if you are experienced doing this kind of thing.

NOTE: Before starting turn the unit off, unplug and remove the battery.

redsfxc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redsfxc

I've had this exact laptop for almost a year now and it's great!
No issues and I can play Skyrim on ultra graphics smoothly. I paid a lot more. this is a great deal!
Not even a refurb to boot

robor007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages robor007

We have owned a G75 for a little over a year. It was fast but I wasn't blown away by the speed until I installed an SSD. After that, wow. Definitely add one if you're going to spend $1K on this power.

vcholman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vcholman
davidmcbeth3 wrote:first..its a asus ... not a sony or top of the line man.



ASUS is second only to Alienware when it comes to gaming laptops. I am a programmer/computer security specialist, and I have a four year old ASUS laptop called the Stealth, which is the grandparent to this unit. Love the performance.