Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

More info, and review on the Product Page for the 150

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

A quick scan of the specs tells me that this is, yet another, under-powered, over-hyped wanna-be-"green" failure.

The solar panel, under IDEAL conditions produces only 15W. "10-20 hours" to fully charge the battery (4point font: IF all 10-20 of those hours are in full noon day Sun.) Where is it high noon 24/7? Ah... perhaps this is useful in polar orbit. Here on Earth, outside the tropics, I can't imagine anyone would find this functional. Also, the USB port has a maximum output of 0.5A! That won't even charge an iPhone, and doesn't even come close to the 2A required for an iPad, or many other USB charged devices.

A nice idea, but an epic fail for solar power, yet again.

Well, maybe in an emergency situation where all you need is enough power for a radio and LED flashlight, this would suffice.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

lichme

quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

kjack83435

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kjack83435

Bought one last June 18th when they were on woot, thought with loosing power all the time in the winter I would get one to power my laptop and Internet card. Sure enough Christmas Day the power went off, weather just as forecast, I had charged this thing for three days prior. Battery dead on laptop after a few hours and I hooked it up to the Goal Zero and in two hours I had just that, Zero.....Keep your money this is a bust, unless you need a boat anchor.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

I use my Goal Zero 15 watt solar panel to charge two Guide 10 Plus packs - which have a USB port. I then use that device to recharge my GPS, cell phone, etc. It takes about 4 hours of full sun to completely recharge the batteries.

This way, one device is always charging from the battery pack while another battery pack is being recharged.

The Guide 150 works well, but it's too heavy to comfortably lug around.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out the product page for additional info and some good reviews on the Boulder 15 (4.3 out of 5.0)

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

A handful of nearly perfect reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) on the Boulder 15 over at amazon

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
conanthelibrarian wrote:A handful of nearly perfect reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) on the Boulder 15 over at amazon

Only one of those 5 star reviews is from a VERIFIED PURCHASER.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

My initial thought that this Goal Zero Power was a new portable Dyson "bladeless" fan....

yes, I'm silly enough to have bought the above bladeless USB RoboFans and it works fine. Heck, I'm such a fan of these "bladeless" fans that I have 5 variants of it, including the original Dyson. And I was all excited when I saw Woot's photo of this, thinking that I'd add another fan to my collection but alas...

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

From the Description:

female cigarette adapter

You've come a long way, baby!
If you recognize the reference, it's time to start thinking about Botox...

goalzero

quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero

Thanks for your feedback! The Boulder 15 is not meant to be a direct charger for your cell phone or other USB handheld device like our Nomad 13. It is a 12V battery charger. That is why we couple it with a 12V battery in the Escape 150, which stores the energy collected from a wall outlet, car charger (sold separately) or solar panel(s). Panels are easily chainable for quicker charge, and please ensure to recharge the Escape 150 once every couple of months so you don't end up with a dead battery when you need it most. We would advise to have the Escape 150 plugged into a power source all the time. That way, you're good to go when the power goes out, or on the first night at camp.

GOAL ZERO

ckeilah wrote:A quick scan of the specs tells me that this is, yet another, under-powered, over-hyped wanna-be-"green" failure.

The solar panel, under IDEAL conditions produces only 15W. "10-20 hours" to fully charge the battery (4point font: IF all 10-20 of those hours are in full noon day Sun.) Where is it high noon 24/7? Ah... perhaps this is useful in polar orbit. Here on Earth, outside the tropics, I can't imagine anyone would find this functional. Also, the USB port has a maximum output of 0.5A! That won't even charge an iPhone, and doesn't even come close to the 2A required for an iPad, or many other USB charged devices.

A nice idea, but an epic fail for solar power, yet again.

Well, maybe in an emergency situation where all you need is enough power for a radio and LED flashlight, this would suffice.

goalzero

I'm sorry you had a bad experience and we'd like to take care of the issue. Please call our Solutions Center during the business week or reach out to them via email, and we'll take care of you! We want you to enjoy our product as much as we do!

GOAL ZERO

kjack83435 wrote:Bought one last June 18th when they were on woot, thought with loosing power all the time in the winter I would get one to power my laptop and Internet card. Sure enough Christmas Day the power went off, weather just as forecast, I had charged this thing for three days prior. Battery dead on laptop after a few hours and I hooked it up to the Goal Zero and in two hours I had just that, Zero.....Keep your money this is a bust, unless you need a boat anchor.

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga
kjack83435 wrote:Battery dead on laptop after a few hours and I hooked it up to the Goal Zero and in two hours I had just that, Zero.....

Given that modern laptops use about 80W and this is only a 150Wh battery, 2 hours sounds just right.

If you need longer-lasting power, you need something along the lines of the Extreme 350 but that's much heavier and also require the ExtremeUI inverter if your laptop doesn't take direct 12V. (I have one, it's around 30 lbs)

This thing's designed for SMALL electronics, or just short charge. Tablet, phone, yes. Laptop, very short term.

For the solar side, the Boulder 30 is their bigger daisy-chain-able panel, and there's a frame for having up to 4 together, but it's significantly larger than the 15. Not to mention more expensive.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

goalzero wrote:Thanks for your feedback! The Boulder 15 is not meant to be a direct charger for your cell phone or other USB handheld device like our Nomad 13. It is a 12V battery charger. That is why we couple it with a 12V battery in the Escape 150, which stores the energy collected from a wall outlet, car charger (sold separately) or solar panel(s). Panels are easily chainable for quicker charge, and please ensure to recharge the Escape 150 once every couple of months so you don't end up with a dead battery when you need it most. We would advise to have the Escape 150 plugged into a power source all the time. That way, you're good to go when the power goes out, or on the first night at camp.

GOAL ZERO

Welcome back to Woot and thank you for staying up to answer questions!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

goalzero

They're up all night for to ask questions... I'm up all night to give good answers... We're up all night to get great deals! We're up all night to get great deals!!...

Hopefully someone gets my poor attempt at referencing Daft Punk. If you do, you definitely don't need Botox.

Oh man, it's too late....

ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome back to Woot and thank you for staying up to answer questions!

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

I think I remember this product selling out last time it was on woot!, so people may want to grab it when they still can get one!

(I couldn't search it effectively, so please correct me if I am incorrect)

MML666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MML666
goalzero wrote:They're up all night for to ask questions... I'm up all night to give good answers... We're up all night to get great deals! We're up all night to get great deals!!...

Hopefully someone gets my poor attempt at referencing Daft Punk. If you do, you definitely don't need Botox.

Oh man, it's too late....

How about putting up some Light-a-lifes or Lighthouses? I need some more of those...although I am tempted to get another Boulder 15 :-)

kjack83435

goalzero wrote:I'm sorry you had a bad experience and we'd like to take care of the issue. Please call our Solutions Center during the business week or reach out to them via email, and we'll take care of you! We want you to enjoy our product as much as we do!

GOAL ZERO

Thank you, you sound concerned, however, I did that the day after and Results certainly were not of concern then. I purchased in June 18 and never used until December25, too long it seems from your customer service to be of help..even though that was the first use and first plug in was three days before use. So much for good posture in front of the masses. Two different attitudes at sale and at service. Bet you don't post this one long.

kjack83435

bhiga wrote:Given that modern laptops use about 80W and this is only a 150Wh battery, 2 hours sounds just right.

If you need longer-lasting power, you need something along the lines of the Extreme 350 but that's much heavier and also require the ExtremeUI inverter if your laptop doesn't take direct 12V. (I have one, it's around 30 lbs)

This thing's designed for SMALL electronics, or just short charge. Tablet, phone, yes. Laptop, very short term.

For the solar side, the Boulder 30 is their bigger daisy-chain-able panel, and there's a frame for having up to 4 together, but it's significantly larger than the 15. Not to mention more expensive.

It was an ipad with internal AT&T cellular connection so if that is good enough for you jump in and buy one, it just did not work for me.

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

I bought one Escape 150 (for $80) the last time Woot offered them. I really like the design of the unit -- it's very easy to pick up and move around using the handle at the top -- but I will note that the LCD readout showing how much charge the battery has is small and difficult to read. I have to use a flashlight to read the small readout that is on the side of the unit.

The Escape 150 unit does work but I've never been able to get the battery to hold a charge for very long. If you unplug the unit from the electrical adaptor, and leave the unit sitting (not plugged into anything), then the dial will read zero charge within a couple of days. It could be that my battery was defective. I've never been able to figure it out.

My other complaint is that I wasn't able to leave the unit plugged in to the electrical adaptor and keep it plugged in to a piece of medical equipment (like a CPAP machine) for use as an emergency power backup. The Escape 150 can only power the medical equipment if it has been unplugged from the electrical adaptor. So, since the battery won't hold a charge, I keep the Escape 150 plugged in so that if I need it during an emergency, I can then unplug Escape 150 and then use it with the medical device (although I do worry it won't be very reliable since the battery doesn't hold a charge but for a few days).

I've spoken to Goal Zero Customer Service before and reset the unit a couple of times and that didn't fix the problems.

That said, this is still a nice unit and would be handy to charge your cell phones during an extended electrical outage (like a hurricane). I was hoping that Goal Zero would offer the more powerful 300 unit or their Goal Zero camping lights some time soon. Goal Zero, do you plan to do this? I'd like to buy an Escape unit for my mother but I'd really prefer the 300 over the 150.

IMPORTANT: Goal Zero customer service told me (and it is mentioned in the specs here) that if you buy one of these units that you NEED to plug it in and recharge it EVERY MONTH or TWO to keep the battery up and working. You can't just use it and then put it away for several months and expect to work properly -- you have to keep recharging the battery every month or so or the battery starts to die out.

MML666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MML666
etherium wrote:I bought one Escape 150 (for $80) the last time Woot offered them. I really like the design of the unit -- it's very easy to pick up and move around using the handle at the top -- but I will note that the LCD readout showing how much charge the battery has is small and difficult to read. I have to use a flashlight to read the small readout that is on the side of the unit.

The Escape 150 unit does work but I've never been able to get the battery to hold a charge for very long. If you unplug the unit from the electrical adaptor, and leave the unit sitting (not plugged into anything), then the dial will read zero charge within a couple of days. It could be that my battery was defective. I've never been able to figure it out.

My other complaint is that I wasn't able to leave the unit plugged in to the electrical adaptor and keep it plugged in to a piece of medical equipment (like a CPAP machine) for use as an emergency power backup. The Escape 150 can only power the medical equipment if it has been unplugged from the electrical adaptor. So, since the battery won't hold a charge, I keep the Escape 150 plugged in so that if I need it during an emergency, I can then unplug Escape 150 and then use it with the medical device (although I do worry it won't be very reliable since the battery doesn't hold a charge but for a few days).

I've spoken to Goal Zero Customer Service before and reset the unit a couple of times and that didn't fix the problems.

That said, this is still a nice unit and would be handy to charge your cell phones during an extended electrical outage (like a hurricane). I was hoping that Goal Zero would offer the more powerful 300 unit or their Goal Zero camping lights some time soon. Goal Zero, do you plan to do this? I'd like to buy an Escape unit for my mother but I'd really prefer the 300 over the 150.

IMPORTANT: Goal Zero customer service told me (and it is mentioned in the specs here) that if you buy one of these units that you NEED to plug it in and recharge it EVERY MONTH or TWO to keep the battery up and working. You can't just use it and then put it away for several months and expect to work properly -- you have to keep recharging the battery every month or so or the battery starts to die out.

You should go to their site: This unit has been redesigned into the Yeti 150 - pretty much the same specs, if I remember correctly.
However, they also have a 400 and a 1250 version.

etherium

So, Goal Zero, can you please say what's the difference (other than the shape) between the Escape 150 and the Yeti 150?

Foxtaur

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Foxtaur

I have two of these Escape 150 units, intended for use during power outages to keep my CPAP operational.

As others have noted, the battery will not hold a charge forever. I find that after three months or so, the charge level will drop to 80%, and I must top it off. To the poster above, if your unit goes to 0% after one month, something is wrong.

For powering CPAP, one full battery charge lasts about 10 hours of sleeping for me, using a 12V DC cable. That's pretty good.

The USB port is indeed limited to 0.5A just like your computer's USB port. If you have a power-hungry device like an iPad or other tablet, you will get a better charge experience by plugging in your device's AC adapter, rather than trying to use the USB port.

I now want to pick up a solar panel to try that out.

etherium

Foxtaur wrote:I have two of these Escape 150 units, intended for use during power outages to keep my CPAP operational.
For powering CPAP, one full battery charge lasts about 10 hours of sleeping for me, using a 12V DC cable. That's pretty good.

Hey Foxtaur: are you able to leave the Escape 150 plugged into the electrical outlet while you are using the CPAP? Or do you have to unplug from the electrical adaptor in order to use the CPAP? Thanks!

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

I am well experienced with this kind of power device. There are things you must adhere to and follow precisely to get any useful life out of it. This uses a Lead/Acid type of battery and does not work like a Nicad or Ni-MH battery. Maintenance is mandatory:
1. Once the battery has a full charge remove any charging device. This type of battery will hold 95% of its charge for a year! Keep it off the charger. These chargers are not regulated and will overcharge and boil the battery to death in as soon as 6 months. 12v lead/ acid batteries must float at 13.6 volts max.
2. Once this device is used it should be recharged shortly after. If it is run down low it must be recharged immediately. THESE BATTERIES CANNOT BE LEFT DISCHARGED FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. They should be recharged as soon as possible... 6-8 hours max.

Although novel, my thoughts of the solar panel thing would be okay if the manufacturer put a voltage regulator circuit on the panel to limit the voltage to 13.5 - 13.8 volts. I did it to mine and power my shed out in the corner of my yard this way.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

ahrele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahrele

I purchased two of these from Woot over a year ago. I believe in emergency preparedness and I loved the idea of having devices that could help us stay charged up with power. I'm sorry to say that neither of them does us any good. I followed the directions for charging them them first time and for keeping them charged, but when the first opportunity arose that we needed to use them, we discovered that one of them was completely useless (dead and won't recharge) and the other will only work for the first 20% of the power and then it quits as well. I'm very disappointed after investing that much money and then getting nothing from that investment.

letsgoskatepool

quality posts: 2 Private Messages letsgoskatepool

I picked one up from woot in the past and it served me well until... Well until it didn't! About 6 months after purchase it died on me and while GoalZero was responsive at first in trying to fix it, when in came down to actually replacing it they disappeared.

EnigmaV8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EnigmaV8

Deep cycling a lead acid battery? Good luck with that. Do a Li-On or Li-Po battery and we'll talk. Leave the 1940's technology to starting your car.

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

[quote postid="5512616" user="Foxtaur"]I have two of these Escape 150 units, intended for use during power outages to keep my CPAP operational.

Foxtaur - What is the pressure setting on your cpap, since that would determine for how long the battery pack would work?

mikeniu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mikeniu

I bought one of the batteries in June 2012, and coupled it with a solar panel purchase from Goal Zero's website.

My wife and I went on a 16 day excursion to the badlands,blackhills, yellowstone, colorado rockies, and the grand canyon, in July

We used the battery solely to keep our smartphones fully charged throughout the adventures and it worked great. I does not have enough juice for a coffee pot. It did have enough for a small fan, but that drained the battery after several hours.

All told, it is good if you use it for its intended use. You are not buying a generator.

Side note- the solar panel worked...ok. It needs pretty bright and direct sunlight to even charge at 15 wph. But then, for a 150 dollar investment I dont expect tremendous solar technological abilties.

goalzero

We, GOAL ZERO, did not do a terrific job, it seems, at educating the Woot.com audience last year about rechargeable batteries and their need for frequent recharges. 6 months (June 18 - December 25) between recharges will kill the battery. Good new is, on our Escape 150, that we have replacement batteries that are easily swapped out. Please give us a chance to help fix the problem.

kjack83435 wrote:Thank you, you sound concerned, however, I did that the day after and Results certainly were not of concern then. I purchased in June 18 and never used until December25, too long it seems from your customer service to be of help..even though that was the first use and first plug in was three days before use. So much for good posture in front of the masses. Two different attitudes at sale and at service. Bet you don't post this one long.

goalzero

To clarify, we build smart charge controllers/regulators into the battery, not the panels, so the Escape 150 does not overcharge from wall or solar.

GOAL ZERO

Ringo4422 wrote:I am well experienced with this kind of power device. There are things you must adhere to and follow precisely to get any useful life out of it. This uses a Lead/Acid type of battery and does not work like a Nicad or Ni-MH battery. Maintenance is mandatory:
1. Once the battery has a full charge remove any charging device. This type of battery will hold 95% of its charge for a year! Keep it off the charger. These chargers are not regulated and will overcharge and boil the battery to death in as soon as 6 months. 12v lead/ acid batteries must float at 13.6 volts max.
2. Once this device is used it should be recharged shortly after. If it is run down low it must be recharged immediately. THESE BATTERIES CANNOT BE LEFT DISCHARGED FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME. They should be recharged as soon as possible... 6-8 hours max.

Although novel, my thoughts of the solar panel thing would be okay if the manufacturer put a voltage regulator circuit on the panel to limit the voltage to 13.5 - 13.8 volts. I did it to mine and power my shed out in the corner of my yard this way.

ahrele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahrele
goalzero wrote:We, GOAL ZERO, did not do a terrific job, it seems, at educating the Woot.com audience last year about rechargeable batteries and their need for frequent recharges. 6 months (June 18 - December 25) between recharges will kill the battery. Good new is, on our Escape 150, that we have replacement batteries that are easily swapped out. Please give us a chance to help fix the problem.

I checked into the replacement batteries for our two 150's; however, when I was there I saw that they were $50 each. It is disheartening to have to spend another $100 to be able to get any use out of our devices.

lindafi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindafi

I have two of these I bought from Woot last year. They work great! I work at home and use one to keep the modem going and me connected to work and the other on the extra monitor. The one on the modem will keep it going at least 18 hours. I have also used them to power a light and a small fan.

slipperyp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slipperyp

Ha ha ha...I love the commercial video linked. The first 10 seconds accurately reflect the experience of every SO of a woot buyer.

Scene: random room in some home. A big ass box sits open on a table before BUYER.

Enter PARTNER

PARTNER: What *is* that?

BUYER silently, proudly, pulls discount electronics product out of box.

BUYER rattles through some fantasy list of scenarios in which the device would be useful, including scared kids during a power outage, on a camping trip, etc.

PARTNER politely rolls eyes (while thinking "But we don't even have kids..."): Wow.

etherium

Hey Goal Zero guy!

1) Since so many Wooters didn't understand about the batteries, could Goal Zero perhaps offer to sell us some replacement batteries at a discount? $50 for a replacement battery IS definitely very steep, especially when most replacement batteries run $20-$35. Or tell us what the replacement battery information is, so that we can go find a cheaper one. Lead batteries aren't exactly rocket science, but you do need the right one for the 150.

I might point out that the thing about the batteries was NOT mentioned last time in the specs posted here on Woot, plus even after reading the instructions and reading the FAQ on the Goal Zero web site, it still was not clear to many people. Also, it's pretty difficult to even get through to a Goal Zero Customer Service rep as well.

2) What's the difference (other than the shape) between the Escape 150 and the Yeti 150? Do they use the exact same battery?

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

A hand crank power generator w/battery would be infinitely more useful & more practical & more better in every way.

bunnykins

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bunnykins

We use these at work and they work better then any other portable power we tried over the years. We have joked about how they look like a Thermos but they do work very well. I like how this one comes with a solar panel. I have actually looked at getting one of these with a solar panel because lots of other solar panel portal batteries do not work that well.