moops86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moops86

Considered buying this but compared functionality to a $40 car starter I just bought and it's too close. The XP400 has 12v input/output and about 100Wh (confirmed). If you want REAL USB charging, choose a Lenmar that can do 2.1 amp/port for $20. I put in a 12v USB port myself, from spare parts, to charge ASUS/Motorola tablets with no loss. So, for $30 less than this super sale, you can have a superior USB charging station, missing only the inverter. Honestly, what household device can you power with this thing anyway?!? Oh, and don't forget, the XP400 can jump start your car.

ahrele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahrele
etherium wrote:Hey Goal Zero guy!

1) Since so many Wooters didn't understand about the batteries, could Goal Zero perhaps offer to sell us some replacement batteries at a discount? $50 for a replacement battery IS definitely very steep, especially when most replacement batteries run $20-$35. Or tell us what the replacement battery information is, so that we can go find a cheaper one. Lead batteries aren't exactly rocket science, but you do need the right one for the 150.

I might point out that the thing about the batteries was NOT mentioned last time in the specs posted here on Woot, plus even after reading the instructions and reading the FAQ on the Goal Zero web site, it still was not clear to many people. Also, it's pretty difficult to even get through to a Goal Zero Customer Service rep as well.

This is a great suggestion. Would it be possible to offer the replacement batteries for the 150 here on woot! at a woot! price for those of us that need them?

rsinps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rsinps

Bought one last year and have used it a couple of times without problem. While camping it kept our smart phones charged, and during a power outage this summer we hooked a fan to it and it lasted most of the night.

I'm sure there are better units that will do a lot more, but for the price this thing worked fine for what we used it for.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, deleted some off topic posts.

So, how about this deal?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

goalzero

quality posts: 23 Private Messages goalzero

1. Yes, but I don't know details right this second. I will need to go in tomorrow and see what plan of action we want to have. Please give me until tomorrow afternoon and I will respond to this post again with details.

2. There are quite a few differences. The main differences, outside of various changes to some electrical and mechanical design changes, between the Yeti 150 and Escape 150 invludes a low voltage or charge audible alarm on the Yeti 150, helping us to indicate to the end user that a charge is needed soon and an attached 12V female cigarette output receptacle on the Yeti 150. We also added an another 12V 8mm output port for use with our Light a Life or Estrella 12V lights. Hope that answers your question. Same battery type.

1) Since so many Wooters didn't understand about the batteries, could Goal Zero perhaps offer to sell us some replacement batteries at a discount? $50 for a replacement battery IS definitely very steep, especially when most replacement batteries run $20-$35. Or tell us what the replacement battery information is, so that we can go find a cheaper one. Lead batteries aren't exactly rocket science, but you do need the right one for the 150.

I might point out that the thing about the batteries was NOT mentioned last time in the specs posted here on Woot, plus even after reading the instructions and reading the FAQ on the Goal Zero web site, it still was not clear to many people. Also, it's pretty difficult to even get through to a Goal Zero Customer Service rep as well.

2) What's the difference (other than the shape) between the Escape 150 and the Yeti 150? Do they use the exact same battery?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, deleted some off topic posts.

So, how about this deal?

How was my post off topic? I was truly curious of the origin of the name of the company. There may have been other superficial comments added... but its all justified by my poetic license. I hope I at least got a quality post before you deleted it.

MML666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MML666
goalzero wrote:1. Yes, but I don't know details right this second. I will need to go in tomorrow and see what plan of action we want to have. Please give me until tomorrow afternoon and I will respond to this post again with details.

2. There are quite a few differences. The main differences, outside of various changes to some electrical and mechanical design changes, between the Yeti 150 and Escape 150 invludes a low voltage or charge audible alarm on the Yeti 150, helping us to indicate to the end user that a charge is needed soon and an attached 12V female cigarette output receptacle on the Yeti 150. We also added an another 12V 8mm output port for use with our Light a Life or Estrella 12V lights. Hope that answers your question. Same battery type.

Here is my previous experience: I bought an Escape 150 on woot a year or two ago and had a problem as it would not completely charge. I contacted customer support and after trying a few things (drain and recharge battery, reset the battery, remove and replace fuses, etc) they determined that the battery was bad and sent me a new one, free. It seems to be working well ever since.
Again, this was my experience and YMMV.

I also have a lighthouse and a Nomad 7 that I use when I hike. All in all, I am very happy with their products and the prices here are very good (better than when they sell at Costco).

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
bhiga wrote:Given that modern laptops use about 80W and this is only a 150Wh battery, 2 hours sounds just right.

If you need longer-lasting power, you need something along the lines of the Extreme 350 but that's much heavier and also require the ExtremeUI inverter if your laptop doesn't take direct 12V. (I have one, it's around 30 lbs)

This thing's designed for SMALL electronics, or just short charge. Tablet, phone, yes. Laptop, very short term.

For the solar side, the Boulder 30 is their bigger daisy-chain-able panel, and there's a frame for having up to 4 together, but it's significantly larger than the 15. Not to mention more expensive.

It's advertised differently, I read it gives a laptop 10 to 12 extra hours.

We lost power 5X this winter. I'll rely on the generator that hasn't failed us yet, until something better comes out.

Glad I didn't hit the large green button too fast.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

etherium

quality posts: 23 Private Messages etherium

Is the Goal Zero guy is still around?

1) Can he say what the charging time for the Escape 150 is using TWO of the Boulder 15 solar panels daisychained together?

The chart in the stats on Woot say 10 hours for just one Boulder 15 solar panel, but I wanted to know how long it would take using TWO Boulder 15 panels together.

2) If you already own one Boulder 15 panel, do you need to buy a special connector to add a 2nd panel?

Thanks for your time. I'll be checking this thread the next few days, looking for info about Wooters buying replacement batteries.

linxdev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages linxdev
bhiga wrote:Given that modern laptops use about 80W and this is only a 150Wh battery, 2 hours sounds just right.

I suggest the user also purchase a car supply for their laptop and use the 12V DC port. If they use AC then you have DC->AC->DC. Power is lost as heat in the switching power supply and inefficiencies. The car charger will have a 12v -> 19v switcher, but at least you will not be going from DC to AC then back to DC.

bratkitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bratkitty
linxdev wrote:I suggest the user also purchase a car supply for their laptop and use the 12V DC port. If they use AC then you have DC->AC->DC. Power is lost as heat in the switching power supply and inefficiencies. The car charger will have a 12v -> 19v switcher, but at least you will not be going from DC to AC then back to DC.

You're quite right. Even ignoring DC->AC->DC conversion losses, you're doing 2 voltage conversions vs 1. When using the AC bit, you're going from 12VDC to 120VAC, then to whatever your computer uses (24VDC in my case). Modern switching power supplies doing a DC->DC conversion is very efficient, and you're converting 12VDC to 24VDC all in one go.

goalzero

No adapter needed. Two would recharge it in about 6 hours of sunlight. One just plugs directly into the other through the "chain"
Port.

etherium wrote:Is the Goal Zero guy is still around?

1) Can he say what the charging time for the Escape 150 is using TWO of the Boulder 15 solar panels daisychained together?

The chart in the stats on Woot say 10 hours for just one Boulder 15 solar panel, but I wanted to know how long it would take using TWO Boulder 15 panels together.

2) If you already own one Boulder 15 panel, do you need to buy a special connector to add a 2nd panel?

Thanks for your time. I'll be checking this thread the next few days, looking for info about Wooters buying replacement batteries.

etherium

Goal Zero guy, thanks for answering my questions!

Us Wooters will be checking back to this thread the next few days to see about discounted replacement batteries!

I also encourage Goal Zero to have another special deal again offering some of their accessories, like the camp lights. It seems like Goal Zero only did this once in the past year (and the lights sold out very quickly).

cdavvey95

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdavvey95
goalzero wrote:Thanks for your feedback! The Boulder 15 is not meant to be a direct charger for your cell phone or other USB handheld device like our Nomad 13. It is a 12V battery charger. That is why we couple it with a 12V battery in the Escape 150, which stores the energy collected from a wall outlet, car charger (sold separately) or solar panel(s). Panels are easily chainable for quicker charge, and please ensure to recharge the Escape 150 once every couple of months so you don't end up with a dead battery when you need it most. We would advise to have the Escape 150 plugged into a power source all the time. That way, you're good to go when the power goes out, or on the first night at camp.

GOAL ZERO

This is meant for the comment about it being "another underpowered green" setup....not sure how I replied to the woot post instead, but here goes....

You couldn't be more wrong here, mostly because it doesn't seem as though you know how this setup works. It's true, the panel does take time to charge the unit, that's why they're meant to be daisy chained to other panels. This initial setup is not the typical panel you would choose to power this battery anyway...it's simply the package that is being offered by Woot...at a pretty sweet deal, I might add. The battery/inverter has plenty of juice to charge multiple iPhones and iPads over a weekend of camping...in fact, we've also run a CPAP machine for about three overnights while also charging phones, not iPads, no good while camping anyway. All before really needing to plug in the solar panels. The initial woot response is correct, the panel isn't meant to stand alone.

Alphastorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Alphastorm

Can it auto stop charging when the battery is full? I don't want to blow out my battery.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Interestingly enough, this item triggered me to go look at the one I already own, and sure enough it had died from misuse. I went to the Goal Zero website and read that it needed to be charged every so often before the battery died. I said "darn, wish I had read the instructions." I purchased another today as a replacement. Put your big girl/boy panties on. This is how life works. Quit workin' the vendor for a deal. On an aside, I was glad to realize it had been over six months since the last time I had a power outage. That's the good news here

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

goalzero

Yes, it stops charging when full!

Alphastorm wrote:Can it auto stop charging when the battery is full? I don't want to blow out my battery.

csommer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages csommer

I got one of these the last time they were on woot. And then I was able to pick up a 30 watt Goal Zero panel on Ebay for a good price.

This is a great system for off-grid camping for minor electronics recharging (GPS, radios, smartphone) as well as running tent fans.

My son's Boy Scout troop took this to national jamboree and managed, even with the rain, to folks cameras and phones charged vs using the charging stations on site.

If I didn't already have one, I'd get one. I'd like to get a Yeti 400 to power my cpap with humidifier. If I did that I'd likely get another 30 watt panel.

GZ stuff works good in my book, and at this price is a great deal.

johnsonjf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages johnsonjf

You know, I don't even see the need to buy the solar panels. This is a pretty good deal on portable power ($90) compared to other options like the Energizer XP18000 18,000mAh portable battery, which is almost $140.

SerialBeggar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SerialBeggar

I'm more interested in the Yeti line and the larger solar panels. Could you arrange a selection for a WootPlus! run?

kjack83435

quality posts: 13 Private Messages kjack83435
goalzero wrote:We, GOAL ZERO, did not do a terrific job, it seems, at educating the Woot.com audience last year about rechargeable batteries and their need for frequent recharges. 6 months (June 18 - December 25) between recharges will kill the battery. Good new is, on our Escape 150, that we have replacement batteries that are easily swapped out. Please give us a chance to help fix the problem.

Still clammering to the masses, I said in the post and to your customer service it was plugged in for three days 24 hours a day before use. And I am an engineer so I don't think an education from you will help me much but thanks for the offer. It is still better for a boat anchor than a charger in my opinion. Look at the other posts not much difference no good comments about your customer service.

Now the solar panels are great and I would purchase again but the 150 is not.

bk26

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bk26

I purchased one of the 150 packs earlier today. Started thinking, I hope it has not been sitting around killing the battery.

MML666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MML666
kjack83435 wrote:Still clammering to the masses, I said in the post and to your customer service it was plugged in for three days 24 hours a day before use. And I am an engineer so I don't think an education from you will help me much but thanks for the offer. It is still better for a boat anchor than a charger in my opinion. Look at the other posts not much difference no good comments about your customer service.

I am quite satisfied with their customer service. (See comment above).

goalzero

Sorry, wasn't trying to educate you. Just stating a fact that while your battery was being stored for 6 months after you bought it, it sulfated and died. It wouldn't have mattered if you had it plugged in for 365 days, you can't charge a sulfated AGM battery. I was taking accountability for not informing the Woot audience about rechargeable battery matainance.

For all of you reading this, please remember that if you leave a rechargeable battery, like your car battery without recharging it periodically, eventually it will die and you have to replace it with a new one. Hopefully one day, we can develope a battery that doesn't die over time. Lithium is getting better, but not there yet. Thanks for your opinion and feedback!

kjack83435 wrote:Still clammering to the masses, I said in the post and to your customer service it was plugged in for three days 24 hours a day before use. And I am an engineer so I don't think an education from you will help me much but thanks for the offer. It is still better for a boat anchor than a charger in my opinion. Look at the other posts not much difference no good comments about your customer service.

goalzero

We have a recharging system down at our warehouse now, recharging our batteries on cycles. Most products are shipped within 45 days of production, but if there are some over 45 days older than its production date, we recharge them. You will see a recharged on date on your box for the Escape 150 when you get it. Thank you for giving us a try!

bk26 wrote:I purchased one of the 150 packs earlier today. Started thinking, I hope it has not been sitting around killing the battery.

goalzero

As promised, we have a promo code, "e150woot" that can be used until 8/5/13 at http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/85/Escape-150-Replacement-Battery/6:4/ for replacement Escape 150 batteries (the actual battery inside of the Escape 150, not the whole unit) at a cost of $24.99 upon checkout.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

2) What's the difference (other than the shape) between the Escape 150 and the Yeti 150? Do they use the exact same battery?

ahrele

goalzero wrote:As promised, we have a promo code, "e150woot" that can be used until 8/5/13 at http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/85/Escape-150-Replacement-Battery/6:4/ for replacement Escape 150 batteries (the actual battery inside of the Escape 150, not the whole unit) at a cost of $24.99 upon checkout.

Thank you, Goal Zero Guy! Your efforts are very much appreciated!

ahrele

goalzero wrote:As promised, we have a promo code, "e150woot" that can be used until 8/5/13 at http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/85/Escape-150-Replacement-Battery/6:4/ for replacement Escape 150 batteries (the actual battery inside of the Escape 150, not the whole unit) at a cost of $24.99 upon checkout.

Goal Zero Guy,

I just attempted to purchase the replacement batteries at the site with the promo code you posted and it only removed $15 off my order for 2 of the batteries, so I ended up with a total of $84.98. I did not continue with the order, for it looks as if there is a problem with the code.

etherium

Hey Goal Zero guy:

I just tried to buy one battery and the coupon code only gives you $15 off for a total cost of the battery being $35.

I thought one battery was only supposed to be $25 (plus the $5 shipping fee).

Also, you might let people know if they can buy more than one battery at the discounted rate.

Please post back and inform us. Thank you!

bhiga

quality posts: 18 Private Messages bhiga

10-12 extra hours? Maybe for a netbook, tablet, or a very efficient laptop in battery-saving mode... I tend to use "performance" laptops so guarantee I'd only get 1-2 hours if that, heh.

Can't really beat a generator unless you have Mr. Fusion.

MichXelle wrote:It's advertised differently, I read it gives a laptop 10 to 12 extra hours.

We lost power 5X this winter. I'll rely on the generator that hasn't failed us yet, until something better comes out.

goalzero

Try it now. sorry!

etherium wrote:Hey Goal Zero guy:

I just tried to buy one battery and the coupon code only gives you $15 off for a total cost of the battery being $35.

I thought one battery was only supposed to be $25 (plus the $5 shipping fee).

Also, you might let people know if they can buy more than one battery at the discounted rate.

Please post back and inform us. Thank you!

etherium

goalzero wrote:Try it now. sorry!

The discount worked. Thanks!

I see that Goal Zero fixed the problem by reducing their regular price on the replacement batteries to $40 with the special woot code giving $15 off.

Hopefully, the price will stay that way. $50 for a small lead battery really was too high.

tikigodremix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tikigodremix

I tried to purchase the replacement battery for my unit from last year that won't work and I get the following error code "AVS FAILURE - YX 075315 "

Of course I didn't check back on this forum until the last day of the sale until I received the new package you were selling and found the plug on the panel to be faulty, I was curious if anyone else was having a problem.

Paolotek

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Paolotek

OK call me crazy, (and that would definitely apply) but all of the problems associated with this unit are from the heavy, crappy battery. So I figured that since I got such a deal on the product that getting a better battery would solve the problem and be worth it. IT IS! I got a Tenergy 12.8V 12Ah LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery (DGR-A) Item #31997 for $175.99. Yes it was very expensive but it is 1/4 the weight and I have been using like crazy (again appropriate) and it still shows 80% charged! Go here for more info: http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4cellspacks.aspx
Very happy with my ultimate battery upgrade!