WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

JanSport Hiking Backpacks

You'll be ready to say hello to any king or king-to-be with these JanSport Backpacks on your shoulder. Naturally, they're measured in liters, but with a few quick conversions you can figure out how that corresponds to your king-of-choice's foot.

itin513

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itin513

My fiance got me the 40 L purple bag. I have never owned a backpack like this but it is really nice and seems well built. I feel lucky it fit me though because the sizing information was not included in the specs. FYI the 40L purple backpack fits torso length of 43-46cm from c7 (your neck hump) the very tippy top of your hip bone. hip belt is 71-152cm. if anyone gets the black 50L backpack it would be AWESOME if you comment the specs ... now my fiance wants a hiking pack but he is quite a bit bigger than me peace frome cincinnati

goodmayham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodmayham
itin513 wrote:if anyone gets the black 50L backpack it would be AWESOME if you comment the specs ... now my fiance wants a hiking pack but he is quite a bit bigger than me peace frome cincinnati

Yo, the black pack is listed as having a torso fit of 17-18" (oddly enough, the same as the purple pack). The smallest the hip belt gets is about 29.5" (so, 75cm). Putting the buckles all the way at the end of the straps, it is about 57" (145cm).

I can't comment on how accurate that torso fit is though, I simply do not know enough about how packs are measured and supposed to fit. I can say that the part of the back that goes against the spine and is made of harder material is 21" long.

Seems like the purple and black packs are about the same fit.

I'm happy enough with mine and am around 5'10" and skinny as a rail.

Hope that helps!

TomWendell

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TomWendell

Torso height is roughly correlated to height, but isn't a direct correlation (some people are leggy and vice versa). Your torso height is measured from the C7 vertebra to the top of your hip bones.

The easiest way to measure torso height is to place your hands on the top of your hip bones (not your waist) and bend your head down so your chin points toward your chest. Find the knobby protrusion on your spine at the base of the neck - that's C7. Use a flexible tape measure and measure along the spine to an imaginary line between your thumbs. That's your torso height.

Medium torso heights usually range from 16-17.5", regular torsos are usually 18-19.5" I happen to be 5'9" and stocky and my torso height is 17.5"

The important thing about packs is that you want the weight settled on your hips and the pack torso height to be long enough that you can use the load lifters (straps on top of the shoulder straps attached to the frame) to be able to lift the tops of the shoulder straps off your shoulders to reduce strain. Getting too short a pack is literally a pain in the neck (and shoulders).

dgordonwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dgordonwood

I have to echo the other comments about the torso length. This is very important when selecting a pack. I got the "Big Bear" pack which is intended for up to 16 inch torso. Fortunately, I have been able to make it fit. It would be best if the sizing information was included more prominently.