Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3014 Private Messages lichme

Item: Yukon Outfitters Hammock, 2 Choices
Price: $24.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
6/29/2013 - $19.99-24.99 - 46 comment(s)

lichme

Great reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) on the Double Hammock over at amazon

lichme

Check out this reviews (and some videos) over at outdoorsurvivalists.com

mikeeyram

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikeeyram

Adding this comment again, just like I did last time. I hope that couple is really thin at 300lb total, or just really short.

NEED 400lb+ ones

HenryBob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HenryBob
jpstrings wrote:Where is accessories.woot?

yeah I'm also confused, sending a report after confirming now news alerts or blog posts or riots related to this

My normal alias is University of Pi/UniversityOfPi
(though I created this account before I fully began using that)

The Link of Power

[Sig 8/21/13]

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

HenryBob wrote:yeah I'm also confused, sending a report after confirming now news alerts or blog posts or riots related to this

I've ticketed the problem and it should hopefully be back online shortly.

Thank you guys for catching the issue.

planetplanet

quality posts: 4 Private Messages planetplanet

Video review from a previous Woot purchaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZYgmx8GvLM

The world's most handsome chubby midget

zonkerrob

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zonkerrob
HenryBob wrote:yeah I'm also confused, sending a report after confirming now news alerts or blog posts or riots related to this

There are only so many $1200 watches available for 69 bucks

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

These are nice hammocks at a good price. I only wish they were offered in the large size, in the green color, like the original woot! offering: http://www.woot.com/offers/yukon-outfitters-double-hammock

Manually tagged since woot! can't be assed to auto-tag obvious URLs.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

BibleGurl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BibleGurl
mikeeyram wrote:Adding this comment again, just like I did last time. I hope that couple is really thin at 300lb total, or just really short.

NEED 400lb+ ones

As I understand it, a double hammock is one that you can stretch out flat in, if you lie at an angle to the anchor ropes. Basically, it's double-wide, not double-occupancy.

BibleGurl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BibleGurl

I have the double hammock and I love it. Does anyone have the mosquito net one? I like that I can lie flat in the double one. Is the mosquito one too narrow for that?

myklwykl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages myklwykl
mikeeyram wrote:Adding this commen I agree. It seems wrong to call it a double hammock when it just barely will hold me and a drink.
t again, just like I did last time. I hope that couple is really thin at 300lb total, or just really short.

NEED 400lb+ ones

I love you YOU love me.

mikeeyram

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mikeeyram
BibleGurl wrote:As I understand it, a double hammock is one that you can stretch out flat in, if you lie at an angle to the anchor ropes. Basically, it's double-wide, not double-occupancy.

Who wants to lay in a hammock by themselves?? Okay so no girl/boy friend, but even so at like a music festival 2 people in a hammock is the way to go, no fun alone.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8
mikeeyram wrote:Adding this comment again, just like I did last time. I hope that couple is really thin at 300lb total, or just really short.

NEED 400lb+ ones

This might be your best solution:

Cooter007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cooter007

In for one each... my son has got me into this hammock thing. One for the house one for camping.

andoriah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andoriah

What do you hang the hammock on? Do you have to find 2 trees that are just the right distance apart and strong enough to bear the weight? I've always sort of wondered...

Skeyelab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skeyelab
andoriah wrote:What do you hang the hammock on? Do you have to find 2 trees that are just the right distance apart and strong enough to bear the weight? I've always sort of wondered...

yes. you also should buy something like an Atlas hammock suspension system that makes it very easy. I don't think they will allow me to post a link here.

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
andoriah wrote:What do you hang the hammock on? Do you have to find 2 trees that are just the right distance apart and strong enough to bear the weight? I've always sort of wondered...

Ya, they dont have to be spaced perfectly, they just have to meet a minimum distance. If they are very far apart (to a limit) you just need longer anchor ropes and possibly to tie them higher on the trees to compensate.

jeffreyinspace

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffreyinspace

I bought the double for my wife and we both love it. I don't recall both of us being in it at the same time but there have been many occasions where it has held one of us and both of our sons (7 & 3) with no problem. I am 6'4" and can easily get comfy in the double. Unfortunately on our last camping trip the kids were swinging and it got a couple of holes from snagging a stick on the ground. It was my fault since I didn't readjust the ropes after the first couple of days. If I had used a good quality rope it wouldn't have stretched and our hammock would still be in great shape. I love it and will replace it if I cannot repair this one.

harobikes333

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harobikes333

I already have a Grand Trunk - Skeeter Beeter Hammock... but I couldn't pass up a cheap two person hammock. Now... to find a tiny honey

ckeilah

These are great hammocks for the average layman ;-) The equipment nerds will find them lacking, but even they can't complain at these prices. Get three and have a gear hammock, one to lend to non-aficionado friends, and one spare or beater to throw up in urban hanging adventures.

ckeilah

BibleGurl wrote:I have the double hammock and I love it. Does anyone have the mosquito net one? I like that I can lie flat in the double one. Is the mosquito one too narrow for that?

69" is pushing the limits on the bugnet version. If you are under 65" it should be plenty wide for a proper flat lie without stressing the fabric too much.

ckeilah

Y'all should be aware that the bug net version requires SIX mounting points to hang correctly: two, as usual, support points, and four disparate points for attaching the net support lines. However, you can always hang it upside down, and just not use the net feature.

Also, I think it has been mentioned before, the non net version is a double size, not double occupancy, hammock, though two MEDIUM SIZED adults can lie together comfortably in it, for short periods, if they are very friendly. I find it much better to stick to one occupant per "double" hammock. (YMMV. :-) But, at these prices you can afford to outfit everyone.

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
ckeilah wrote:Y'all should be aware that the bug net version requires SIX mounting points to hang correctly: two, as usual, support points, and four disparate points for attaching the net support lines. ...

I'm sure it would be simple enough to add in a couple of spreaders (maybe use a couple of shock-corded fiberglass tent poles) and make y-shaped yokes from the lines so you use the same two anchor points for the net as for the hammock. something like this :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw1XXjR3mO6TS3JveVVoRlFCUkk/edit?usp=sharing

kmmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmmm

Can't mosquitoes bite you
Through the nylon?

JavaCzar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JavaCzar
kmmm wrote:Can't mosquitoes bite you
Through the nylon?

No, they can't if there are no holes in it.

bradyarz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyarz
JavaCzar wrote:No, they can't if there are no holes in it.

Yes they can - through the nylon (bottom of the hammock) as he asked, but not through an intact bug net (as you allude to).

Mosquitoes can bite through alligator skin. When laying in a hammock, put a blue foam pad under you for warmth and insect protection.

barrel of crops 4/26/12

eclectronic150

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eclectronic150

NEED 400lb+ ones

To reiterate on this point: When I received my double from Yukon a few weeks back, it came with a piece of paper inside the hammock saying that the product is intended to only be used by one person.

beachrights

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beachrights

Bought one the last time these came up- good quality and comfortable. They do stretch so adjustments need to be made. As for weight- have had 2 adults in it no issues- no hanky panky is advisable though!

chrys333

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrys333

After reading some reviews, it looks like lying diagonal is the best way to go in a hammock like these. Is it possible to lie diagonal in the hammock with the netting? It looks almost like the netting would make it difficult to do.

TavisB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TavisB

At 6', would I be too tall for the netted version? I've been searching online and can't seem to find an answer.

jbutenhoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbutenhoff
kmmm wrote:Can't mosquitoes bite you
Through the nylon?

Just treat it with permethrin. Spray it down, let it dry, and the bugs will leave your bottom side alone!

I have the original double from a while back (when it was green with a higher weight limit, but appears to be exactly the same as this blue one that I also have) and spent a week in it without any issues. Great hammock!

I would recommend heading over to Hammockforums.com and make some decent suspension systems for the hammock though. The fat rope that comes with this model is horribly lacking!

sonicalflair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonicalflair

I purchased the Bug Net one from Woot last time. I'm about 5'9, 150lbs and can sleep pretty comfortably in it.

For setting up the bug netting, you can get away with rigging them onto the same two points as the hammock hanging points on your tree.

Grab a cheap 10x10 trap, learn how to set up a ridgeline, tie a tautline hitch (I prefer an adjustable grip hitch), and your halfway towards cheap hammock camping!

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
chrys333 wrote:After reading some reviews, it looks like lying diagonal is the best way to go in a hammock like these. Is it possible to lie diagonal in the hammock with the netting? It looks almost like the netting would make it difficult to do.

The netting should not prevent lying diagonally. I hammock-camp a lot and used to use one similar to this product. I now use an asymmetric hammock specifically shaped for diagonal sleeping, but I never had a problem with my old one. (And diagonal is the ONLY way to sleep comfortably on a hammock, for most people)

youmansk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages youmansk
stevethorpe wrote:The netting should not prevent lying diagonally. I hammock-camp a lot and used to use one similar to this product. I now use an asymmetric hammock specifically shaped for diagonal sleeping, but I never had a problem with my old one. (And diagonal is the ONLY way to sleep comfortably on a hammock, for most people)

The specs are very similar to the Hennessy Hammock explorer deluxe. I am 6'1 240 and my explorer deluxe is pretty comfortable.

jmk06d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmk06d

Could someone tell me if the Double Hammock comes with hooks or carabiners? I bought the netted hammock last time it was available and it came with ropes and metal hooks is that so for the double?

gnumadic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gnumadic
TavisB wrote:At 6', would I be too tall for the netted version? I've been searching online and can't seem to find an answer.

I have the same question. I'm 6'4" tall and am thinking I need the double hammock that's 11.5 feet long. At 8'9" the netting hammock seems usable but may not be all that comfortable to stretch out in. Any tall folks with experience?

Yoooder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Yoooder

I can't vouch for the mosquito model, but will say hammock camping is bomb compared to taking a tent. No need for flat ground, just have to find trees that are within the right distance.

If you're looking at getting it for camping you'll also want a tarp to use as a rain-fly, some Kammock Python straps (they're the best for attaching a hammock to trees of different diameters), and a decent mummy-shaped air pad (and ideally some straps to keep it under your sleeping bag).

Figuring out the details is a little work, but sleeping in a hammock is way cozier than sleeping on the ground. The only thing I really struggled with is that you need some extra insulation under you since a slight breeze will take all the heat out of you. The mummy air pad works great for me, although other people recommend using an "underquilt" which is like a sleeping bag that the whole hammock goes in (you can make your own with a blanket and a tarp).

3sunsets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3sunsets
jmk06d wrote:Could someone tell me if the Double Hammock comes with hooks or carabiners? I bought the netted hammock last time it was available and it came with ropes and metal hooks is that so for the double?

I bought the double last time it was offered and it came with carabiners but no ropes...