quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

Item: Schwinn Exercise Bike Recumbent/Upright
Price: $179.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

Finally, Two-fer Tues … no, it's just a picture of two different items. Will check back in a week.

barryicide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barryicide

Anyone know if there's a way to move the gigantic display / control panel out of the way on the recumbent model? I'd like to use it in front of my computer, but the enormous panel would be in the way of my monitor.

lichme

Reviews, info, and more on the Product Page for the Recumbent 225

keving88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keving88
barryicide wrote:Anyone know if there's a way to move the gigantic display / control panel out of the way on the recumbent model? I'd like to use it in front of my computer, but the enormous panel would be in the way of my monitor.

Mirrors. It's in the mirrors.

lichme

Great review for the Upright 125 and more details on the product page

Previous Sale for 125

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

@pemberducky reminds us in the last sale assembly is required

ZerosReaper

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ZerosReaper
barryicide wrote:Anyone know if there's a way to move the gigantic display / control panel out of the way on the recumbent model? I'd like to use it in front of my computer, but the enormous panel would be in the way of my monitor.

You might want to consider a small stationary bike instead if you want to use the computer while you exercise. As far as I can tell, the little bikes work pretty much the same and are tremendously less expensive and much more compact.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read the assembly and users manual on the 125 and 225

Gailyn

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Gailyn

The step through design on the recumbent bike is awesome for those doing rehab after knee surgery! This is a solid design that should hold up well for many years!

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Amazon does not show the model 225 only a model 220 or 250??
Also the warranty is only 90 days for wear parts and also you pay for ANY labor cost after the first 3 months which makes that 5 year frame and 1 year electrical WARRANTY A LOT LESS VALUABLE.

lstaff

quality posts: 200 Private Messages lstaff

Stationery Cycling is pretty close to the perfect exercise that doesn't involve flotation.

Great for the obese, out of shape. Great for places with horrible weather or 9 months of winter. Great for the elderly. Great to build up and rehab from many conditions. Great cardio workout, better than an elliptical (or so they say).
And the recumbent one is great for people with orthopedic and back issues!!!

David85712

quality posts: 0 Private Messages David85712
keving88 wrote:Mirrors. It's in the mirrors.

Raise your monitor...

pjeffy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pjeffy

I have the upright bike- bought it right after 2 knee replacemets. There is no reason to spend any more money on something fancier. It is easy to put together and has a very small footprint. Easy to move in front of the TV and catch up on DVR'd shows while you get in shape.

Holysin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Holysin

I also have the upright bike (bought it for $20 more) it seems better built than other < $200 exercise bikes, I think I've had it for a month (whenever the last sports woot for it was) and so far it hasn't given any complaints about being used 3-4x a day every day. The fan on it is a joke, the speakers are decent though (if you're not pedaling in front of a screen). The drink holder is oddly shaped, it holds my smaller coffee cups, and most of my beer mugs, so apparently it was designed with me in mind ;)

The only negs I could give are you can't set a set user (always guest), the LCD isn't lit (eh....) and the seat needs more padding (but I'm going to get a gel bike seat cover to fix that one.) It's definitely worth the cost and at least for my 6' frame seems to be set up correctly.

almostheaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages almostheaven

almostheaven-I ALSO BOUGHT THE 225 ON WOOT PLUS A MONTH AGO.IT IS STILL $249.99 PLUS THE $5.00 TO SHIP.UPS DELIVERED AND IT TOOK SPOUSE LESS THEN 2- HOURS TO PUT TOGETHER.RUNS SMOOTH AND YOU DO HAVE TO SELECT THE ENTER BUTTON TWICE TO GET TO WHAT YOU PROGRAMED FOR NORMAL USER FOR YOUR SELF.ONCE PROGRAMED YOU CAN SEE THE MONITOR WITH NO PROBLEM.UPS MAN TOLD ME THAT IT COST ABOUT $100.00 JUST FOR SHIPPING BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT.SO YOU SAVE ALLOT WITH WOOT AS WELL AS THE 50% OFF FROM THE NORMAL COST AT THE COMPANY FOR THE 225 MODEL.I RESEARCHED FOR A LONG TIME FOR RECUMBENT BIKE QUALITY AND COST AND THE 225 MODEL IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS FOR QUALITY MADE AND WOOTS PRICE.I TOO HAVE 2 TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTS DONE OVER THE PAST 2 YEARS AND AQUATIC EXERCISE AND THIS RECUMBENT BIKE IS KEEPING ME MOVEING.THANKS TO WOOT FOR 50% OFF AND THE $5.00 SHIPPING.

hcir

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hcir

I had a Schwinn A20 recumbent exercise bike. The seat looked similar to this one. It was incredibly uncomfortable. After 30 minutes, my posterior was feeling the pain.

keitht56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages keitht56

The upright model is much better as a clothes drying rack.

painkiller1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages painkiller1

hello- anyone know if this is a battery operated with recharge like the old lifecycles, or if this is plug in with ac/dc transformer.

thanks

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
painkiller1 wrote:hello- anyone know if this is a battery operated with recharge like the old lifecycles, or if this is plug in with ac/dc transformer.

thanks

It uses a transformer (I read the manual)

MarkL

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MarkL

I've had an earlier model (220) of the recumbent bike for a number of years. I've been very happy with it. I can swing the flat screen toward where it is and ride for an hour while watching TV - makes the time go by much quicker. It is very quiet and (for me) comfortable.

millargeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages millargeo
painkiller1 wrote:hello- anyone know if this is a battery operated with recharge like the old lifecycles, or if this is plug in with ac/dc transformer.

thanks

It's plug in only. I have the upright. Got it from Sports Authority as a black Friday doorbuster for 199. Works well. Haven't had any issues with it. Be aware that the pedal threads are not the standard pedal size. If you wanted to change them out you'd need to add an adapter to get the right thread size.

throgmar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages throgmar

I have one of the recumbent ones (I do everything in the reclined position.)

It's got an unusual interface. Maybe I should read the manual, but I've used a lot of exercise gear, and it's just weird.

Also, I'm in really good shape, and I still find that anything above even the lower levels are rough. Just got it, though, so maybe I'm not understanding it (where's that manual, anyway??)

Also, the seat slides while you ride if you don't torque down the lever.

Other than that, it's fine and definitely worth $250.

Overlord Throgmar the Librarian has spoken.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
conanthelibrarian wrote:@pemberducky reminds us in the last sale assembly is required

Assembly is required but the required tools SHOULD be in the box. They were on my 150 upright, which was a non-woot! purchase.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

andrys1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages andrys1
dliidlii wrote:Amazon does not show the model 225 only a model 220 or 250??
Also the warranty is only 90 days for wear parts and also you pay for ANY labor cost after the first 3 months which makes that 5 year frame and 1 year electrical WARRANTY A LOT LESS VALUABLE.

Here's a page that shows the differences between the 120 and 125 models. There are some extras that many wouldn't care about, probably, and maybe that's why it's being phased out (it would seem).

http://exercise-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/95-119/Schwinn-120-Upright-vs-125-Upright-Bike

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

You can probably just not attach it when you are putting the thing together if you don't care about the electronics.

I've had a recumbike (not this model) for a couple years now and find it great exercise and non-threatening to my very problematic spine.

I ride it while watching favorite TV programs and it totally makes required exercise time go by faster.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Probably not the bike to buy to commute to work.

Unless you telecommute.

chococherrychip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chococherrychip

I'm nursing an ankle injury so I'm in for one.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
bluetuba wrote:You can probably just not attach it when you are putting the thing together if you don't care about the electronics.

Not likely if it's anything like the 150 model - the electronics panel controls the amount of resistance, and the harness isn't long enough to mount the panel anywhere else.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

oldgal3

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oldgal3

Let me tell you my story: I'm an old guy, not your typical Wooter, having made 37 purchases over the last nearly seven years. My first purchase was a Logitech flat panel speaker which we still like and use. From the very beginning, I was always astounded by the comments, on even the most esoteric of products, from Wooters who owned them and could make pithy comments.
Now I can speak from experience. In 2007 I had both knees replaced, you know, newer titanium ones. During my physical therapy, one of the many machines I used was an industrial strength recumbent bike. Much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying it. we went to Sears and bought a Schwinn Model 202 recumbent exercise bike. My wife, the technical one, put it together while I attended a football game.
Since then I have biked 30.000 miles, an average of over 15 miles per day. I have lost 50 pounds, have a resting heart rate of 55, and feel every bit as good as when I was running 60 miles a week. Yes, these miles are strictly fantasy Schwinn miles. If you pedal about 80 per minute, you go about 18 mph, no matter how you have the resistance set, so not all miles are created equal. BTW, I use the higher resistances, to get the calories and my heart rate up. I cannot speak to this model, as Schwinn seems to sell certain models in certain stores, but it is a better quality than the A20 or A25, the newer ones in this price range. Yes, it can be had for a comparable price, like on Black Friday or others, but this is a good price, if not a great one. This is way better than my 202, which cost just over $300, and is going strong in its sixth year. I use it, on average 45 minutes a day and have for coming up on six years. I read, watch tv, but usually just listen to music and try to see how far/fast I can go.
No doubt recumbent biking is not for everybody, but it works for me. I ordered one for when mine dies, as surely it will. These aren't gym quality, but certainly more than worth $50 a year(and going down). This one will go to the basement or garage for when I need it, I hope in several more years.

scottydl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scottydl

My wife is a personal trainer (works out of the home) and has her heart set on having a spin bike in her basement home gym. Anyone know how this upright version would compare to the typical studio bike? Obviously it's not as robust and isn't built for 200 miles/day, but are functioning and resistance settings similar?

blakem001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blakem001

How difficult is it to put this thing together. I might actually buy the upright one.

allibear612

quality posts: 2 Private Messages allibear612

can you sell this again in a couple months? My husband and I (and our love handles) are eager to get some exercise equipment but we don't have room until we move into our new house.

scottydl

Woot staff (or anyone that owns the upright), do you know how heavy the flywheel is on the Schwinn 125?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

scottydl wrote:Woot staff (or anyone that owns the upright), do you know how heavy the flywheel is on the Schwinn 125?

It might be a little late in the day to gather that kind of info, but I could find out for you in case we run the sale again.

Anyone else who is a previous/current owner might be able to chime in.

sacjeanie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sacjeanie

Dude - you totally lost me at "I was running 60 miles a week." Could no longer relate to your dialog.

oldgal3 wrote:Let me tell you my story: I'm an old guy, not your typical Wooter, having made 37 purchases over the last nearly seven years. My first purchase was a Logitech flat panel speaker which we still like and use. From the very beginning, I was always astounded by the comments, on even the most esoteric of products, from Wooters who owned them and could make pithy comments.
Now I can speak from experience. In 2007 I had both knees replaced, you know, newer titanium ones. During my physical therapy, one of the many machines I used was an industrial strength recumbent bike. Much to my surprise, I found myself enjoying it. we went to Sears and bought a Schwinn Model 202 recumbent exercise bike. My wife, the technical one, put it together while I attended a football game.
Since then I have biked 30.000 miles, an average of over 15 miles per day. I have lost 50 pounds, have a resting heart rate of 55, and feel every bit as good as when I was running 60 miles a week. Yes, these miles are strictly fantasy Schwinn miles. If you pedal about 80 per minute, you go about 18 mph, no matter how you have the resistance set, so not all miles are created equal. BTW, I use the higher resistances, to get the calories and my heart rate up. I cannot speak to this model, as Schwinn seems to sell certain models in certain stores, but it is a better quality than the A20 or A25, the newer ones in this price range. Yes, it can be had for a comparable price, like on Black Friday or others, but this is a good price, if not a great one. This is way better than my 202, which cost just over $300, and is going strong in its sixth year. I use it, on average 45 minutes a day and have for coming up on six years. I read, watch tv, but usually just listen to music and try to see how far/fast I can go.
No doubt recumbent biking is not for everybody, but it works for me. I ordered one for when mine dies, as surely it will. These aren't gym quality, but certainly more than worth $50 a year(and going down). This one will go to the basement or garage for when I need it, I hope in several more years.

scottydl

ROGETRAY wrote:It might be a little late in the day to gather that kind of info, but I could find out for you in case we run the sale again.

Yeah I get the lateness... flywheel weight is something I just thought of (and is a notable feature on spin bikes), and I'm trying to make a "late in the day" purchase decision here.

TGPhilly666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TGPhilly666
scottydl wrote:Yeah I get the lateness... flywheel weight is something I just thought of (and is a notable feature on spin bikes), and I'm trying to make a "late in the day" purchase decision here.

The Schwinn 220 has a flywheel weight of 13.2lbs. This is likely the same (or pretty close to it) and isn't really suitable for spinning. Most spinnning bikes have flywheels in the 30-40lb range. Check out the the Sunny Health & Fitness 43" Indoor Cycling Bike ($200) if you need an inexpensive spinning bike. 30lb flywheel and good reviews.

jwachter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwachter

I purchased the upright bike and when I assembled it, the holes would not line up when installing the rail assembly to the frame assembly. I hope woot! has a good return policy. Very disappointing woot!