WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Acer, Et Al

Want a lesson in how important computers are in your life? Try going a week without using one. You can cheat if you need to use one for work -- but no computer time or using your phone's data plan for one full week. Once you're convinced, get an awesome new Acer and never go back again. 

El Marko

quality posts: 7 Private Messages El Marko

Anybody have the slim Acer?

Looks sorta ultrabook-ish, but at 5 lbs and no SSD, it's not.

That said, it might fit my needs as a traveling companion.

Dang, Win8. : (

dawnview

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dawnview
El Marko wrote:Anybody have the slim Acer?

huh? are we looking at the same toppy?
"128GB Solid State Drive with no moving parts, resulting in an amazingly smooth and fast computing experience"
Weight: 2.87 lbs

newly wooted

mdcrews

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdcrews

I have a slim Acer that's about 4 years old. It was cheap with no frills but it's light, has a super long battery life (8+ hrs), and has been pretty reliable. I got it for college and it still works great as a work computer.

cdowley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdowley
dawnview wrote:huh? are we looking at the same toppy?
"128GB Solid State Drive with no moving parts, resulting in an amazingly smooth and fast computing experience"
Weight: 2.87 lbs

I think he's looking at the 15.6" UltraThin for $400. http://www.woot.com/offers/aspire-v5-ultrathin-15-6-laptop

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian
El Marko wrote:Anybody have the slim Acer?

Not sure which one you're talking about. If you're talking about the 13.3 inch S7, then I have the 11.6 inch version of it and am *very* happy with it. The two have essentially the same internals with a totally different case.

Interesting and rarely-known fact: It actually runs 2x 64GB SSD drives/controllers (in a single package) and the default configuration puts it into a 128GB RAID0 array. That thing ZOOMS!

Also, you can install Windows 7, Linux, or anything else you want on it. You're not locked into Windows 8.

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

Oh, one more thing. The AcerStore (store.acer.com) has a sale of 50% off "all accessories". I'm using it in quotes because there are some exceptions, the S7's power adapter being one such exception. But it's *definitely* worth checking out to go along with your purchases here!

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

That Gateway is so out of place. First, because it is lumped with all those laptops. Second, because it is a Gateway. Third, and most important, is because that is a terrible deal.

Woot habitually has better deals on HP's every week. Better stats for a better price.

mdwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdwooter

Anyone wanna elaborate on the difference between factory reconditioned and refurbished? Did I miss information regarding warranty?

cjsutherland

mdwooter wrote:Anyone wanna elaborate on the difference between factory reconditioned and refurbished? Did I miss information regarding warranty?

Nutshell, as I understand it, is Factory Reconditioned (refurbished, etc) means the orginial manufacturer or a company approved by them did the fix.

Refurbished means it was fixed by, basially, any other means than that listed above.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mdwooter wrote:Anyone wanna elaborate on the difference between factory reconditioned and refurbished? Did I miss information regarding warranty?

CJ is right on the money. Our definition for "Factory Reconditioned" is:

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

Here’s an explanation of refurbished/recertified that may help.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

brianfry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianfry

I'm in for one of the Acer Aspire S7's for the Mrs. We've been looking at them for a couple months at the MS Store. WOOT!

cdowley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdowley
cjsutherland wrote:That Gateway is so out of place. First, because it is lumped with all those laptops. Second, because it is a Gateway. Third, and most important, is because that is a terrible deal.

Woot habitually has better deals on HP's every week. Better stats for a better price.

Acer has owned Gateway for several years, so it's not out of place at all.

cjsutherland

cdowley wrote:Acer has owned Gateway for several years, so it's not out of place at all.

Learn something new everyday.

Acer should just let that one die. Gateways should only be used to update MySpace accounts...if you know what I mean. LOL.

Thanks for the info though.

mats3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mats3000

I have always liked how the S7 looked, and I don't ever remember seeing it this inexpensive. I'm in for one. That's a steal for a 1080 res touchscreen.

quarlow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quarlow
cjsutherland wrote:That Gateway is so out of place. First, because it is lumped with all those laptops. Second, because it is a Gateway. Third, and most important, is because that is a terrible deal.

I got this Gateway, arrived today from when it was on woofi. I chose this over the HP's for a few reasons:

-it's "new" so the warranty is 1 year vs 90 days
-it has a slim case, much smaller, better for an HTPC
-lower power usage CPU, better for HTPC as I plan to leave this on 24/7 once I get plex set up
-Bluetooth built in

Everything else is pretty comparable between the two. Had the Gateway not been available I would probably gone with one of the HP's, but this one just fit my needs better. Choice is good.

cjsutherland

quarlow wrote:I got this Gateway, arrived today from when it was on woofi. I chose this over the HP's for a few reasons:

-it's "new" so the warranty is 1 year vs 90 days
-it has a slim case, much smaller, better for an HTPC
-lower power usage CPU, better for HTPC as I plan to leave this on 24/7 once I get plex set up
-Bluetooth built in

Everything else is pretty comparable between the two. Had the Gateway not been available I would probably gone with one of the HP's, but this one just fit my needs better. Choice is good.

Glad it works for you. I can get with all of them except the power consumption. I have seen plenty of (better) 65W APU's from AMD on here.

The difference in a few inches is not worth the difference in APU performance per dollar IMO. But, this isn't about me. ;)

But...again, I am glad it has it's niche with consumers.

bethofspring

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethofspring

Ad writer: it has to be Lord Targus and Lady Gateway, since Lady Targus mixes genders.
Maybe Lady Targa....

holyguacamole43

quality posts: 1 Private Messages holyguacamole43

wheloc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wheloc

Does anyone know if any of these have the new Haswell chips?

MrshGold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrshGold
holyguacamole43 wrote:Cheaper over at Newegg.com

http://promotions.newegg.com/Acer/13-2340/index.html?cm_sp=Ultra259-_-VisNav-_-Tile

If you are referring to the Aspire S3 at the bottom of the page for $649 and comparing it to Woot's $669 then you are not comparing apples to apples. The Newegg sale is for an Intel Core i3 3227U(1.90GHz) CPU and the Woot sale is for an Intel Core i7-3517U 1.9GHz CPU. There is a huge difference in speed between the i3 and i7 cpu.

El Marko

quality posts: 7 Private Messages El Marko
cdowley wrote:I think he's looking at the 15.6" UltraThin for $400. http://www.woot.com/offers/aspire-v5-ultrathin-15-6-laptop

Yes, that one.

dabombace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabombace

Blast! I missed the S7 Deal!!!

willlevi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willlevi

I figured the Gateway would have gone the fastest. An I5 processor blazing at 2.5 ghz able to push to 3.1 ghz max out of the box. A new generation Intel 4000 hd graphics card with a 500 gb hard drive.
This sale came just in time after spending two weeks researching laptops.
I think it discontinued as a sales item due to being too loaded with high end features at a budget price.
If you research computer with anything close to these features you would see its a monster steal.
The I5 processor can act like a quad core when needed to push the processing speed to 3.1

jricker524

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jricker524

So, just got my brand new Acer Aspire V5 today! I was super excited to open it and play with it... And then the ENTIRE keyboard didn't work. This crap is JUNK!!!!!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jricker524 wrote:So, just got my brand new Acer Aspire V5 today! I was super excited to open it and play with it... And then the ENTIRE keyboard didn't work. This crap is JUNK!!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear that you received a unit with (what sounds like) a defective keyboard.
I recommend that you contact Acer Customer Support to see if they can help remedy the issue.

If they're unable to help, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know.

mitengine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitengine

I just got my Acer Aspire S3-391-6448 today and it has no SSD. It only has the 500GB HDD. Do I contact woot about this or Acer?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mitengine wrote:I just got my Acer Aspire S3-391-6448 today and it has no SSD. It only has the 500GB HDD. Do I contact woot about this or Acer?

The link to the Acer support page I posted above you could be very helpful in helping you acquire the missing SSD.

I would possibly contact Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know first. They can assist you in finding a resolve for the issue.