quality posts: 2836 Private Messages lichme

lichme

quality posts: 2836 Private Messages lichme

571 users give this a 4 star average
PC Mag gives it 3.5 Stars
Walmart gives it 4 stars

shkankin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shkankin

As a proud owner of a Roomba and a Neato, I can say without a doubt that the Neato is the superior product. That said, I only use the unit twice a week for about an hour at a time and the battery required replacing after 9 months of use. The Roomba, on the other hand is still going strong 3 years in. I was not blown away by Neato Supports "Oh Well" attitude.

I would still recommend this product, but they need to work on the battery lifespan OR at least extend the warranty of it to a year. $50 for 9 months of light use is a rip off.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3453 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3453 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4 out of 5 stars) over at The O

jeremiahj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jeremiahj
shkankin wrote:As a proud owner of a Roomba and a Neato, I can say without a doubt that the Neato is the superior product. That said, I only use the unit twice a week for about an hour at a time and the battery required replacing after 9 months of use. The Roomba, on the other hand is still going strong 3 years in. I was not blown away by Neato Supports "Oh Well" attitude.

I would still recommend this product, but they need to work on the battery lifespan OR at least extend the warranty of it to a year. $50 for 9 months of light use is a rip off.

This entirely (except no battery issues at all for us). Bought one from another site a year ago. I have a mostly hardwood house with rugs and tile elsewhere. This little dude is great. If only it could convert the hair and crap it picks up into gold coins and poop them out as it runs.

IslandMama

quality posts: 6 Private Messages IslandMama
shkankin wrote:As a proud owner of a Roomba and a Neato, I can say without a doubt that the Neato is the superior product. That said, I only use the unit twice a week for about an hour at a time and the battery required replacing after 9 months of use. The Roomba, on the other hand is still going strong 3 years in. I was not blown away by Neato Supports "Oh Well" attitude.

I agree that the Neato is a superior product to the Roomba (I've also owned both),, especially if you have pets (or hairy family members!). I've owned my Neato for 15 months and luckily have not had any problems with battery life. If you wavered on getting the recent Roomba Woot but didn't, I highly recommend you get this.

The Wootiest

johnlee666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnlee666

Bought this last year when it came on Woot as a birthday present for my wife. We run it Mon-Fri at noon, rarely do we skip a day because our Golden Retriever sheds like a Golden Retriever.

Our house is a mix of plushy carpet and wood. This thing would clean the entry (wood), dining room (carpet), and TV room (carpet), with the occasional foray into the kitchen (wood).

So far, no battery problems. Hopefully I don't discover one soon after this post.

Pro: Cleans like a champ. I couldn't believe how much hair and dust it picks up everyday. I used my Dyson to go over an area, and let the Neato run. It was almost full when finished.

Con: It's gets stuck on flip flops and floor curtains. It'll either high center itself or eat the drapes into the rollers. Also, a few times a week it'll just make it to the station and run out of juice.

Wife's happy with it. My dogs is scared of it. I'm pleased with the purchase.

wchong4

quality posts: 12 Private Messages wchong4

Can this clean an entire house? (2000 sq. ft)

Does it ever run out of battery before making it back to recharge?

maynerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maynerd

For those who have the product how hard is it to clean? I have a Roomba and am not fond of cleaning my Roomba.

Also, how well does this go from room to room?

helosix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helosix
wchong4 wrote:Can this clean an entire house? (2000 sq. ft)

Does it ever run out of battery before making it back to recharge?

After a few runs it learns how much reserve is required to return to the base.
I have had two units or over a year now, and find that this happens only if it gets stuck on something, using a lot, or all, of its reserve.

helosix

maynerd wrote:For those who have the product how hard is it to clean? I have a Roomba and am not fond of cleaning my Roomba.

Unlike the Roomba, which just bounces into stuff, these have a laser mapping system. It makes a map of the floor, and can efficiently find its way around.

Here is a video on how it works.
http://youtu.be/YsQUOtAW0C0

helosix

There was a known (to users) issue with a batch of batteries, that had poor life. I called Neato, and they shipped me two new sets free of charge. They expect batteries to last at least a year, depending on sq.ft., type of floor, and frequency of use.
I have two units for this reason, and use the supplied borders to have keep the unit on their side, or floor, of the house.

stargte9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stargte9
maynerd wrote:For those who have the product how hard is it to clean? I have a Roomba and am not fond of cleaning my Roomba.

I've never had to clean a Roomba but I can tell you this guy cleans quite eaisly, and there's not much to clean. The silicon blades don't gather any dirt and if the bin gets full hair just jams up into the passage way in a big blob that's easy to pull out. The only thing that can cause trouble is pet hair will occasionally clog up the drive belt but a pair of tweezers will pull it right out(I've had mine for over a year with four dogs and only had to do this once.)

bhvmi04

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bhvmi04

Picked one up the last time I saw it here. I've had a roomba, and was not that impressed, but I trusted that wooters hold nothing back in their comments and tried it. This thing picks up dirt my dyson didnt even find.

It does occasionally get caught in a corner under my bed, on a phone charger cord, or clothing on the floor. But thats more my fault than the vacuum's.

It does my downstairs (1000 sq. ft) with no issues. The only thing I haven't had luck with is the magnetic room borders. Has anyone else had bad luck/have suggestions on making them work better?

I'm trying to resist the temptation of grabbing one for the upstairs... or to start my own army of cleaning robotic minions.

hazekitty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hazekitty

I had nothing but problems with the Neato I bought one of the last times it was on sale here. I had to get it replaced 3 times. It seemed to go insane every 6 months or so and forget what it was supposed to be doing in a variety of unusual and annoying ways, and thank the powers I'd purchased the extended warranty. The fourth time it needed replacing, it was on that extended warranty and they just gave me a refund full price (although I'd only paid $299 for it). Basically, it covered the price of the Neato and the extended warranty itself, leaving me zeroed out. I wanted to love having a robot slave to vacuum for me...but that slave suffered from serious psychoses.

skail

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skail

I bought one of these many moons ago, to lighten the workload of household chores. It really is a wonderful machine. I've been using it for over a year, now, no problem. The battery still works fine and the navigation is, for the most part, excellent. It's easy to clean - just remove the dust bin, pull out the filter, and dump the bin into the trash. The filters can be cleaned with a shop-vac for longer life. The only problem I've noticed is that, every once in awhile on its way back to base, it seems to get lost and just starts spinning in circles. This is fixed by merely picked it up and physically putting it at the base. In the meantime, however, it's pretty funny to watch the poor thing.

One caveat is that I have cats who have cat toys, and they seem to have figured out that if they leave a small, soft toy in the path of the vacuum, they can shut it off. Neato picks up the toy, which gets caught in the brush, and then stops where it is until the brush is unclogged. They are devious cats.

Edit: Also, Neato only gets to within about three inches of any wall, so it won't get the dirt that's near to structures. I solve this by running a broom around the edges really quick and sweeping this stuff toward the middle of the room. It takes less than five minutes for my house.

Buckets of Chum acquired on: 18JUN2013, 22AUG2013, 17FEB2014... and always seeking more!

tmann05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmann05

So if this doesn't get in corners or edges of the room, you would need to buy a roomba to tag team up with it to get a room clean. I have a roomba 630 I think and it is a life saver. It has wall following technology and a brush that pulls dirt away from walls. I can sweep multiple rooms in one day. (one room per charge)

skail

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skail
tmann05 wrote:So if this doesn't get in corners or edges of the room, you would need to buy a roomba to tag team up with it to get a room clean. I have a roomba 630 I think and it is a life saver. It has wall following technology and a brush that pulls dirt away from walls. I can sweep multiple rooms in one day. (one room per charge)

If you want the floor cleaning to be fully-automated, then, yes. That would work. However, like I said, I find it takes less than five minutes and no particular skill or hand-eye coordination to brush the corners into the middle of the room before running Neato, and it takes care of the rest. And I have several rooms and table legs to sweep around. Really, it's not even close to a hassle.

Buckets of Chum acquired on: 18JUN2013, 22AUG2013, 17FEB2014... and always seeking more!

Creeper1313

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Creeper1313

We've had a Neato for 2 years (XV-15 upgraded to be like this one with pet & allergy kit). Still going strong. Took care of the first floor (Livingroom, diningroom, kitchen) and second floor (2 bedrooms, bathroom, office) at our townhouse with no problems. 1st floor was one charge on one scheduled day. 2nd floor we'd just take it upstairs before work and manually hit 'Start'.

Once in awhile it wouldn't fully dock, lose it's charge and need recharged and it's time reset. However, we'd placed it's charging station under our entertainment system in a narrow gap between two support legs. Since their instructions recommend against spots like this, I'm still happy with the 90% docking success rate there (we didn't have a good corner for it to live in).

It's boxed up now as we await completion of a new 4-BR house, so I'll be interested to see how it fares with a much bigger floor plan.

coresampler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coresampler

I also own both, but I will say this for the Roomba; It does clean much closer to the walls than Neato. The Neato leaves a solid 3 or 4 inches between it's brushes and the walls when it vacuums where the Roomba has a side brush that pulls most loose debris into its main brush. If you are sporting a home with linoleum, tile, or hard-wood floors I would certainly recommend the Roomba over the Neato. For carpets, the Neato is the only choice as it ACTUALLY vacuums. Roomba is more of an automated broom really.

dschommer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschommer

I bought one a year ago and prior to that had a Roomba. This thing is MUCH smarter than a Roomba. It doesn't do well with thicker carpets but most of my condo is hardwood so it's all good.

Doug

tagbiker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tagbiker

Also owning this unit and a roomba, I agree I like the Neato better. My home is all tile with a couple throw rugs. With a vacuum, Neato picks up the fine dirt the roomba would leave on the floor (which you get with dogs that dig). Somebody asked about cleaning... pretty much the same, pop the cover, pull the bar and clean it. One point I do NOT like about Neato... the end pieces on the bar are simply pressed on, and not terribly tightly. I have dropped them into the trash as I held the bar over it to unwind my wifes 2 foot long hair from the bar. Thats my only real complaint.

stevematlbch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stevematlbch

In 12 months I had 4 of these. 1st one kept getting lost. 2nd was good but belt wore flat, and is not user replaceable. 3rd was DOA (all replacements are 'refurb') and neato support made me jump thru hoops for a month before agreeing to replace. 4th is sporadic. It back up onto chair rungs. It sees objects that are not there and says 'clear my path'. It cruises by the base when needing a recharge, then dies for lack of juice. It pulls up to the base and dies (charge me). Neato support had me run a 'small bedroom test'. You put the robot and base in a small bedroom and run it. if it docks, they do not replace and essentially tell you to buzz off. They do not market this thing as a unit that does a small bedroom 1 time. They market it as something that will vacuum your house. And they do not back that up. Also it will not accept the new software update. One of the prior ones did and I am using same computer and same cable. The computer see the robot so it's not the cable or PC. All these issues and more are common problems, go to robotreviews.com and see the neato forum. Cheap junk with terrible customer support.

I also have two 500 series roomba from 2008. I just put 700 series bins and cleaning heads in them at about $90 each. made them into brand new 700 series machines, they work flawless. batteries last about 8 months, and replacements are $30 on ebay. I run them every day. Maybe once a week one will not make it back to base. I still run the neato, every run I rescue it at least once, and many times I come home and find it someplace, lost, dead by base, climbed up a chair, seeing some invisible object that must be moved. Another thing it does a lot it go to a corner, where it could back up or go left and be fine. But it tries to go right about 100 times, then just dies saying clear my path. Like, demolish the wall?

Great concept, poor execution, horrible support, a piece of junk.

roberto188

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roberto188

I own the VX-11 which is exactly the same as this model, accept it has a beater brush rather than the brisle brush and it has standard air filters rather than these upgraded, pet grade filters. I can say, this thing is amazing! It really works great on low carpet and hardwood floors. It also works great on my medium height carpet. It doesn't bump into things, doesn't fall off ledges and is REALLY easy to use. I recommend it 100%. However, this is an awful deal. You can get the VX-11 with upgraded air filter and brush (which then makes it the VX-21) for $239 @ welmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Neato-XV-11-Special-Combo-Bonus-Pet-Brush-4-Extra-Filters-Bundle/23428184?findingMethod=rr

ltcprof

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltcprof

I bought this one 91 days ago. On day 85 the LCD screen went blank so don't know what it is doing. Called and the company tried to help me fix but didn't work. This was on the 25th and they are sending me a refurbished one with me having to pay about $24 postage. I am a little disappointed that I bought a new one only to be given a used one as replacement. I love how well it cleans my carpets. Have two cats so plenty of fur is picked up. Don't think it works as well on my tile floor maybe due to the pet attachments.

leggalamb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leggalamb
skail wrote:If you want the floor cleaning to be fully-automated, then, yes. That would work. However, like I said, I find it takes less than five minutes and no particular skill or hand-eye coordination to brush the corners into the middle of the room before running Neato, and it takes care of the rest. And I have several rooms and table legs to sweep around. Really, it's not even close to a hassle.

I also like that Roomba gets the edges and corners, but the best thing is that it gets the dog hair that gets wedged around the chair legs. I hated having to sweep them and never seem to do as good a job as Roomba. I run it daily (on all hardwood) because of the dog, and only sweep the areas to narrow for it to get to.

beastwhite315

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beastwhite315

I wish I say good things about Roumba. Own about 8 units and none work. Stopped working anywhere from 1 year to 2 years after purchasing. I suspect some are battery issues, but some just don't work. Save your money and exercise by manual vacuuming.

debmckinney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debmckinney

I have owned both. The Neato is much simpler to clean and doesn't need to be cleaned in the middle of the room. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs with a combination of plush carpet, tile and hardwood. I empty the bin when it is recharging, but it doesn't REQUIRE me to do so.

It moves from room to room without issue. It can get stuck under kitchen cabinet overhang so we put a "stop strip" at one end so it will only enter the room from the open direction. Highly recommend!

r0xor

quality posts: 1 Private Messages r0xor

Have one and love it. Makes my carpet look like freshly-cut lawn
http://i.imgur.com/TgJOr3t.jpg

And after it's done
http://i.imgur.com/KuFljSl.jpg

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge

What I found out:

Deal a day($5 shipping) vs Everyday low prices (free ship to store):

XV11 $219
XV11 with pet upgrade $239
XV21 $329 (Today's Woot $289)
XV12 $349

European: XV15 XV25

From Amazon:
Neato XV signature about $400
Neato XV signature pro about $450

I thought XV11 and XV12 were the same except for color.

I also thought XV11 with pet upgrade and XV21 were the same except for color and some additional assembly.

I have read anonymous comments that the inspection of the actual innards showed differences from one to another model.

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

dgk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dgk

I have this and have had a least four Roombas. I love Roomba, but have had the Neato for several months and have no problems. I have three cats and the hair always gets into the Roomba brushes and really needs cleaning after every other run. The Neato rubber brush just doesn't seem to get cat hair wrapped around it like Roomba does.

I've also lost two Roombas to the "only backing up" problem. It's a bad sensor but there is no way for a user to replace it, and all you can do is chuck it. It's a common enough problem so it should be repairable but Roomba doesn't repair their robots and third parties are way too expensive.

I have four cats! And Two Roombas.

jwvess00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jwvess00

I bought the XV-11 from Woot! I love it.

When I had all vinyl / laminate floors, it could do the area of the house where I use it (1000 sq. ft. or so) in one charge. I replaced the living room floor with carpet, and now it has to recharge in the middle of a cleaning, but it still does fine. I have the charging station in a fairly open spot and it's never had trouble finding it.

It doesn't seem to have any trouble going between rooms.

It tends to bang into my cats' food bowl, spilling cat food onto the floor, which it then dutifully vacuums up.

gesnerj59

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gesnerj59

I purchased this on Woot last October. After an initial learning curve I figured out what items in the house would be problems for the Neato and corrected them. Somethings I did were 1) tie up any hanging electrical cords; 2) get rid of flimsy floor mats that the vacuum could roll up on; and 3) raised the height of an entertainment center with wood blocks to allow the Neato to get under it. We religiously pick up cat toys and anything else that could be sucked up and put them away before we leave the house. We have the schedule set to clean M,W, & F while we're away.

Issues - only the batteries. About a month ago, the Neato stopped cleaning all the rooms in the house. Seems it only goes thru three charge cycles before it decides its done with the house and shuts down. Apparently, our batteries were gone. Neato support was very good and mailed the replacements without charge and without hassle.

Word of caution... You must keep the beater bar clean. If you have long-hairs in the house, you may have to clean your vac daily and free the long hair from the bar. Definitely dump the tiny dust bin every day.

We call ours Consuela, from Family Guy. She does a great job keeping the dust bunnies in check.

Highly recommend. Not fool proof, but worth the money.

timerider

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timerider

Got an XV-11 from a previous Woot. Works pretty well. Picks up a lot.

However, if you have a bed frame that's just low enough, it can run into it and sometimes get stuck without realizing it. I've seen it get stuck between a baseboard vent that was just low enough to not be seen and the bedframe. The Neato wouldn't realize it was jammed into the frame and gouge out its plastic repeatedly. At one point it pressed into the power button and shut itself off.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
beastwhite315 wrote:I wish I say good things about Roumba. Own about 8 units and none work. Stopped working anywhere from 1 year to 2 years after purchasing. I suspect some are battery issues, but some just don't work. Save your money and exercise by manual vacuuming.

And you own 8? You are a patient person. I'd have stopped after 1, MAYBE 2 not working.....but to keep on buying them?

oscargrum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oscargrum

Most of these comments seem to center on dust and animal hair. Anyone have any experience with larger items? My bunnies seem to delight in chucking their hay out of their cages and onto the floor. I would love to have a system to keep the floors clean, but would this machine handle a volume of hay/straw without choking?

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos
beastwhite315 wrote:I wish I say good things about Roumba. Own about 8 units and none work. Stopped working anywhere from 1 year to 2 years after purchasing. I suspect some are battery issues, but some just don't work. Save your money and exercise by manual vacuuming.

I feel like after the second or third defective ones, it would have been prudent to stop buying them. Or to not buy 8 at once given that many online reviews question their effectiveness.

I have a Roomba and I am usually surprised by how much gunk the tiny vacuums in these things pick up, but I would never compare it to a manual vacuum. Don't expect it to deep-clean your floors, don't expect it to get along walls or in corners (just having a little brush to sweep up debris is NOT enough, contrary to apparent popular opinion). If you can schedule it or hack it in some way that it runs daily with no interaction from you save for cleaning it every night, it's worth getting. Otherwise, save your money and buy a nice vacuum with a drive system.