jnemesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnemesh
pwrof3 wrote:FYI, the Windows RT 8.1 update is coming soon, which will make significant improvements to this OS. Read about it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/preview

Do they have an update to fix their HORRIBLE selection of apps? Didn't think so!

jnemesh

umeshunni wrote:Anyone know if the bootloader is unlocked? Can you root them and put Android on them?

Nope, the bootloader is locked down HARD. You arent going to be able to run Android on it...or much of anything else, really.

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb
mstrblueskys wrote: My first love will always be my Chromebook,

Hey--I'm considering this or a chromebook--the samsung series 3 at $220.00 or so. I would -think- this would be superior to a chromebook pretty much across the board. Can you give me any insights as to why you like this RT device but still prefer the Chromebook?

Thanks!

jnemesh

morriea wrote:Comparing this to the Nexus 7 is one heck of a stretch...I guess they are both tablets. That is about it. Apples and oranges are both fruit, also.

One has over 1 million apps available, one has about 125,000. Yeah, apples and oranges!

daneyuleb

jnemesh wrote:One has over 1 million apps available, one has about 125,000. Yeah, apples and oranges!

I dunno, I never tend to use more than 75,000 apps in a given week, so RT should be good I think.

And I'd take one MS Office over 899,000 of those craptastic Android apps out there any day of the week anyway.

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin
ThunderThighs wrote:
PRICE CHANGE

What's this??? The price has been lowered!!??!

You know the drill. If you already bought, that money will be flying back into your bank accounts soonish.

What price reduction? Has this been wooted before?

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
jeffreydurbin wrote:What price reduction? Has this been wooted before?

The price reduction was DURING this sale. The price was higher when it was originally offered here.

skistud17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skistud17

What are the capabilities for remote desktop? If i have a Win 7 desktop at home, is there the possibility of remoting in using RT on a tablet?

sakanagai

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sakanagai
jnemesh wrote:One has over 1 million apps available, one has about 125,000. Yeah, apples and oranges!

While the tone isn't one I approve of, you still have a point. While there is the silver lining that the selection, compared to where Android was when it entered the tablet space, is actually growing fast. Most new apps support ARM (read: "Windows RT") including nearly every Xbox for Windows title. Even with Netflix and a number of music apps, there are a number of holes compared to its tablet competition.

That said, I'm not so sure it's a huge a problem as some might say. If there is a web app (preferrably one that doesn't require Flash), you have a surprisingly competent version of IE that can be snapped to one side and used alongside whatever else you are working on. For me, this is usually Xbox Music or Twitter (oh so nice during Woot-offs).

Whether that's enough really depends on your usage case. For many, it probably will be enough though. It's the same argument raised when Android first surfaced; check which apps you actually use and "need" before making the switch. The only difference here is that Windows RT finally makes webapps suitable replacements for vacant slots in the app store.

sakanagai

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sakanagai
skistud17 wrote:What are the capabilities for remote desktop? If i have a Win 7 desktop at home, is there the possibility of remoting in using RT on a tablet?

Yes. There is an official Remote Desktop client (you may have to download it from the Windows Store) that works with Windows RT. Not sure you could use your PC to remote into your tablet, though. Never tried that.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
daneyuleb wrote:I dunno, I never tend to use more than 75,000 apps in a given week, so RT should be good I think.

And I'd take one MS Office over 899,000 of those craptastic Android apps out there any day of the week anyway.

I have to agree that if your primary use for this is Microsoft office, then this is definitely the tablet to get. If your primary use is anything else than microsoft office, then I would much rather have the craptastic gaming, multimedia, surfing, and anything else Android apps to Microsoft's offering. It's not only that microsoft has less apps, it's that they have very few good apps- it doesn't mean they'll never get there, they just started too late. I applaud Microsoft trying to bridge the ARM processor x86 processor architecture software with RT- I think it's a good move. It's just too little too late. It's kind of like the Zune, I loved the Zune even better than the IPOD I had- but it was released too late and never quite caught up software wise despite the fact that it had more potential. It was a late effort that was under-developed.

robiaamodt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robiaamodt

retail for the keyboard is over $100 so it's a great deal actually. and what makes this tablet different than the others is the keyboard.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Eeeeeuuuuwwwww...RT. YUK!

Never, never never... even free.

ararat3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ararat3000

Windows RT is the worst operating system ever. It won't play videos and you are unable to dowload silver fox plugins or windows media player. Stay away!!!

mabell55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mabell55

Great explanation. Thank you.

sakanagai wrote:With good reason. I have a Surface RT and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't fully aware of what Windows RT entails. That said, it isn't without its charms (oh god, MS has turned that into a pun).

It's not a full OS; it's a tablet OS, first and foremost. You have to play the app store game if you want new software. You don't see Android or iOS making their way to your home desktop as a primary OS, so it should be no surprise that Windows RT shouldn't be there, either. It is a supplement to a full Windows 8 computer. You can't run Steam or your bevvy of .exe files, but neither can an iPad or Nexus.

Where Windows RT excels (damn it, sorry; last one, I swear) is its integration with its desktop platform. The UI is the same. The underlying OS layer is the same. If you have apps purchased from the Windows Store, they are the same. For the first time, you can natively run the same app on your tablet or your laptop/desktop, so long as it supports ARM (a significant portion in the Windows Store do); not even iOS and the Mac App Store can boast that. You get native NTFS support and cloud storage support (SkyDrive or whatever it becomes) integrated into core apps.

It comes with Office 2013 (Outlook is coming with 8.1, also free). Aside from lacking macro support, it's mostly indistinguishable from its x86/x64 counterpart. The idea is that you can work at home, then hit the road with your tablet, using your SkyDrive and app of choice to pick up right where you left off, while still maintaining the battery life, connected standby, and portability afforded by a tablet (Haswell has 2/3 with connected standby in the pipeline).

So, if you don't like taking work with you; if you don't have a Windows 8 machine at home; if you don't care at all about MS Office; if you don't have the need for a tablet; or if you don't feel that the price difference between a Windows RT tablet and a Windows 8 tablet/laptop is worth the compromise, skip it. Otherwise, Windows RT is a rather effective supplement to your desktop experience.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
robiaamodt wrote:retail for the keyboard is over $100 so it's a great deal actually. and what makes this tablet different than the others is the keyboard.

So you base your decision on tablets based on an optional keyboard? Retail price means squat by the way. People on woot know MSRP is simply a number made up by the manufacturer.

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive
ararat3000 wrote:Windows RT is the worst operating system ever. It won't play videos and you are unable to dowload silver fox plugins or windows media player. Stay away!!!

Won't play videos... come on now, you know thats a blatant lie. I have an xps 10 and it runs netflix, youtube, and of course all the flash videos that my i7 laptop can.

RT is great for students because it comes with word and can get through a full day of school without needing to recharge. People who call RT a failure have probably never tried or were not the intended audience for the OS.

daneyuleb

ararat3000 wrote:Windows RT is the worst operating system ever. It won't play videos and you are unable to dowload silver fox plugins or windows media player. Stay away!!!

Of course it plays video. Sheesh.

And what in god's name is a "silver fox plugin"?

lurpdogg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurpdogg
skistud17 wrote:What are the capabilities for remote desktop? If i have a Win 7 desktop at home, is there the possibility of remoting in using RT on a tablet?

Yes. You can use remote desktop just like a full version of Windows 7 or 8. Works like a dream.

cfrahm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cfrahm

I bought one... I know I am going to regret it in 6 months during a Woot Off where there will be many RT tablets. Oh well I did wait 10 years to buy my first atari 2600 for $10 and a bag of games. Original price over $400 in 1980 dollars.

coolbluelb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coolbluelb

Just to be clear... it's not difficult to upgrade this to 8.1, correct???

jeffreydurbin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jeffreydurbin

I'm in. I use my 7" HTC tablet for games, internet, netflix and Yahoo mail but I really need a tablet that runs Office and Outlook.

I am tired of being unable to use my laptop on a plane unless I am in a bulkhead seat. This is what I need and I can deal with the "limitations".

I don't need Angry Fish or whatever it is on my frigging tablet.

I am annoyed the warranty is only 90 days though but I have DIRECTV's Premier Protection Plan. I suppose I need to reread the details on the coverage before passing on Square Trade.

rowjelio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowjelio

I have the ASUS VivoTab Smart. That is the same tablet but with Windows 8 full, not RT. I was indecisive between the two, but decided on the VivoTab Smart instread of this one.

All I can say is I am glad I did. I cringe at the thought that I would only have access to the app store, and not have a TRUE PC with a control panel and desktop and all the good stuff.

This is an amazing price, but no, I would not recommend.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Refurb Microsoft 11" 32GB Tablet for $299 + free shipping, $269 for students
Microsoft Store offers its factory-refurbished 1.4-lb. Microsoft Surface 10.6" 32GB Windows RT Tablet, model no. 7XR-00001, for $299 with free shipping. That's $20 under our mention of a new unit from a week ago and the lowest total price we've seen that applies to all customers. (It's currently $89 less than the best we could find for a new unit.) It features an NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 10.6" 1366x768 multi-touch LCD, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 4.0, front- and rear-facing 720p HD cameras, microSDXC card slot, up to 8-hour battery life, and Windows RT OS. A 1-year Microsoft warranty applies.
Of note, qualifying students and teachers with a current .edu email address can request a 10% off promo code via this page, which cuts the tablet to $269.

Shinespark

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark

[MOD EDIT: We haven't created a sarcasm font quite yet. We're still working on it...]

There are some that actually work with Microsoft's environment consistently enough that having an inexpensive device that plays (very) nicely with their products is quite convenient. Not everyone cares about Zedge and Candy Crush. Where I'm at now, I don't get much out of the OS any longer. But I'm also not complaining that I can't easily administer RHEL on this the same way I don't whinge about the towing capacity on a Ford Fiesta.

FrankChen009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrankChen009
dliidlii wrote:Refurb Microsoft 11" 32GB Tablet for $299 + free shipping, $269 for students
Microsoft Store offers its factory-refurbished 1.4-lb. Microsoft Surface 10.6" 32GB Windows RT Tablet, model no. 7XR-00001, for $299 with free shipping. That's $20 under our mention of a new unit from a week ago and the lowest total price we've seen that applies to all customers. (It's currently $89 less than the best we could find for a new unit.) It features an NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30 1.4GHz quad-core processor, 10.6" 1366x768 multi-touch LCD, 2GB RAM, 32GB storage, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 4.0, front- and rear-facing 720p HD cameras, microSDXC card slot, up to 8-hour battery life, and Windows RT OS. A 1-year Microsoft warranty applies.
Of note, qualifying students and teachers with a current .edu email address can request a 10% off promo code via this page, which cuts the tablet to $269.

The edu discount does not apply for the refurbished item.

g2pal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g2pal

Has anyone who purchased received the shipment yet? I received the shipment but it only had the keyboard dock, not the tablet. I m freaking not knowing if there is a 2nd shipment or not. Please advise of your experience.

maktllc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maktllc
g2pal wrote:Has anyone who purchased received the shipment yet? I received the shipment but it only had the keyboard dock, not the tablet. I m freaking not knowing if there is a 2nd shipment or not. Please advise of your experience.

Also just got the keyboard...very unsettling...

db999md

quality posts: 0 Private Messages db999md
maktllc wrote:Also just got the keyboard...very unsettling...

I also just got the keyboard

badchauncey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badchauncey

Me too - 1 tracking # in my account, received keyboard dock today (amazingly fast) - have a ticket into customer support - hoping for a 2nd tracking # instead of a call next week to the credit card company...

jacobbrogan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jacobbrogan

I'll be the fifth to say that I only received a keyboard, not the tablet that it attaches to. Troublingly, the tracking information that I received almost immediately after filing my customer service query seems to indicate that my order is complete.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jacobbrogan wrote:I'll be the fifth to say that I only received a keyboard, not the tablet that it attaches to. Troublingly, the tracking information that I received almost immediately after filing my customer service query seems to indicate that my order is complete.

badchauncey wrote:Me too - 1 tracking # in my account, received keyboard dock today (amazingly fast) - have a ticket into customer support - hoping for a 2nd tracking # instead of a call next week to the credit card company...

It appears that most folks are already receiving the keyboard portion of their order and haven't received the tablet.

This is most likely due to a separation of shipments with each other (sometimes multiple pieces of an order are shipped from different locations).

If you don't see the second half of your order very soon, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

anasarwa96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anasarwa96

HI guys... Umm. I really pissed off at this moment cuz i bought this tablet for 329 dollars and well now i didn't get the tablet. The only thing delivered was the keyboard. But let me how you what i just wrote to woot explaining my story.

"Recently I went to woot to get a Asus VivoTab RT 32GB Tegra 3 Tablet with a keyboard dock for a total of 329.00. Now I just got my package and it stated that it was 6 pound. Instead of being 6 pounds, the package was really light weight. I opened it and found that only the keyboard dock was sent. The package in total with everything weighs 1 pound, not 6 pounds!!!! The tablet itself did not come. I'm pissed beyond belief. I called Fedex thinking the S.O.B. dooped me. But instead they tell me they are not responsible. I pissed and i want my money back. Now I got a address in which the tablet had come from. The address is 121 River Ridge Circle at Jeffersonville Indiana. I want my money back or i want the tablet that i was suppose to get. You say that you will turn irrate wooters to "I love woot-ers" well i highly doubt that. Woot you have lost my trust. And to get it back give me back my god-damn tablet. And please respond quickly cause my patience is running really thin."

Well yeah thats my story. I'M PISSED AND I WANT MY TABLET!!!!!!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

@anasarwa96: Sorry for the frustration. As mentioned in the post above you, the items most likely shipped separately since we let you choose with or without the dock. Just give it a couple more days for your tablet to arrive.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

anasarwa96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anasarwa96
ThunderThighs wrote:@anasarwa96: Sorry for the frustration. As mentioned in the post above you, the items most likely shipped separately since we let you choose with or without the dock. Just give it a couple more days for your tablet to arrive.

Thanks, its great to hear. But i wish it was sent together, oh well, guess i have to wait again. Though, who has gotten the tablet though from wot. How is it?

db999md

quality posts: 0 Private Messages db999md

i got this in response to my customer support request:

Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.

I'm very sorry about this. We are currently addressing this internally and the rest of the order should be shipped out soon.

We apologize for the delay and for the inconvenience.

so, it sounds like woot is aware of this issue and is dealing with it

weisixue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weisixue
morriea wrote:AWESOME hardware that is crippled by Windows RT.

Really? Windows RT is not so bad .

jmbanefo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmbanefo
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Total waste of money. RT is a massive failure and it's not selling. This is a fire sale for an orphan technology that has very little software available for it and will be abandoned soon. If you want a nice tablet, get an Android tablet or an iPad. If you have to have Windows, spend the money and get a Surface Pro, which is actually a good product, or a Windows 8 laptop. This is money pissed away.

This might be money pissed away -- but not because of Microsoft.

Windows RT isn't going away, and this is a sweet price point for it. The biggest thing almost all critics of Windows 8 RT blatantly ignore in their rush to bash Microsoft for screwing up (another) launch is that Windows RT is equipped with a FULL version of Internet Explorer 10. The version on RT is exactly the same as the desktop version - which means it runs flash, and displays all web content as you're accustomed to seeing it on a real computer.

This gets glossed over despite the fact that about 80% of the apps everyone loves to have a pissing contest over exist in large part to get around the fact that you can't access the real Internet. Granted, some apps give you a better experience than the real Web does. But most do not.

Further, Windows 8 RT has almost-complete versions of Microsoft Office pre-installed. Not pseudo-office, not QuickOffice -- Microsoft Office. The only thing missing is Exchange integration for Outlook -- and that is coming relatively soon, supposedly with Windows 8.1.

So when you are evaluating Windows 8 RT, ask yourself how many "apps" when using a computer with access to real Internet pages and real Microsoft Office. And since Microsoft has almost every major service (Netflix, Splashtop, etc) covered, ask yourself if you really need more.

All that said, Asus and other PC manufacturers seem to be bailing on RT. They are blaming Microsoft (which certainly deserves some of the blame for not waiting until Windows RT and Windows 8 were more complete before rushing them out the door). The PC makers should really be blaming themselves for putting a cutting-edge OS on crappy, previous-generation hardware, charging iPad-like prices for their crap, charging extra for the docks/keyboards (which of course are the single biggest reason people choose these over iPad and Android tablets), and expecting us to buy their leftovers for $400+ dollars. That's why Microsoft built the Surface: they saw what the PC makers were building for Windows 8, and they were so horrified they built their own hardware.

This device probably won't be supported, and it seems that Asus support in general has fallen off considerably. But at this price, it might be worth the gamble -- and Windows 8 RT isn't going away anytime soon no matter what the doomsayers say. For every Microsoft Zune, there's a Microsoft XBox. Kin aside, Microsoft is not a company well-known for rapid abandonment of major products within one year after launch.

tartarugafechada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tartarugafechada
coolbluelb wrote:Just to be clear... it's not difficult to upgrade this to 8.1, correct???

I finally received the tablet after receiving the dock last week. I downloaded updates right out of the box and now it's stuck on an infinite reboot loop. It does not even make it past the initial black reboot screen before getting stuck and rebooting.

So my answer to your question is that it seems the update bricks the tablet.

Any one else have this problem or, better yet, found a solution? I did not even get a chance to see how RT works before the tablet imploded due to the initial updates.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tartarugafechada wrote:I finally received the tablet after receiving the dock last week. I downloaded updates right out of the box and now it's stuck on an infinite reboot loop. It does not even make it past the initial black reboot screen before getting stuck and rebooting.

So my answer to your question is that it seems the update bricks the tablet.

Any one else have this problem or, better yet, found a solution? I did not even get a chance to see how RT works before the tablet imploded due to the initial updates.

Have you contacted Asus support? They may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem with the update.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders