WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about atheists?
  • 23.6% - Great. I am one. 582
  • 35.1% - Who cares. Live and let live. 865
  • 11.7% - They can be obnoxious. 287
  • 14.4% - They don't bother me. I ain't the one who's gonna burn. 354
  • 15.2% - Hooooo boy this should be a fun comment thread. 373
2461 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

dtairtime


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime

I really don't care what anyone is as long as they don't try to impose their beliefs on me any more than I try to impose mine on theirs.

Which is zip by the way!

DoDred


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DoDred

I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are going to be missing out on. I know some that have covered to atheism from Christianity because they have fallen for the evolutionist dribble (and they think we have fallen for creationist dribble). I have given a lot of study to both. Creationist have the better end of it.

Alphagrey


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Alphagrey

DoDred "They have no idea what they are going to be missing out on." I feel the same way. Interesting poll choice, did I miss a product tie-in? Is there a fireplace sale?

berlinvogel


quality posts: 0 Private Messages berlinvogel

Yay!!!! So happy to see my fellow atheists step out of the closet!

What do you call someone who doesn't play chess? A non-chess player? Or someone who doesn't believe in Santa Claus? a non-Santa Clauser? Why do we have to have a word for people who don't believe in Bronze Age mythology written by savages? :^)

Berlin Vogel

ripco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ripco

I feel sorry for anyone that actually believes their salvation is tied to their geographic location ie religion.

mkmiller


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mkmiller
ripco wrote:I feel sorry for anyone that actually believes their salvation is tied to their geographic location ie religion.



Not sure this statement accurately describes the relationship between belief and salvation, especially with America being a geographic region of many beliefs including the belief that there is no supreme being.

  • 4/1/07 $1,000,000 Random carp
  • 3/10/07 Logitech Harmony 659
  • 12/25/06 Random carp
  • 11/6/06 iRobot Roomba Discovery SE
  • 10/12/06 Seagate 250GB SATA HD
  • 9/29/06 Vector JumpStart Sys
  • 9/14/06 LaCrosse Wrist BP monitor
  • 9/13/06 Razer Diamondback Chameleon Mouse
  • 8/17/06 Dirt Devil VacnMop
  • 8/6/06 Hamilton Beach 4qt Ice Cream Maker
  • 8/4/06 Netgear WPN824 Wireless Router
  • 8/1/06 Logitech Cordless XBOX headset 2pk
  • 7/18/06 Cobra FRS/GMRS Radio 2pk

prttymf8


quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

Vehement atheists can be as annoying as very religious people.

I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheist, not because I refuse to take a side, I just really don't care.

If there is a god, fine, if not, fine. I'll make the best of the life I lead on Earth.

benjimann1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages benjimann1

Yay! Only seven comments so far, and things are already "heating up"--this IS going to be a fun comment thread!

Actually, with Woot's fairly geeky demographic, which is accustomed to holding various religious debates (such as the occasional "Star Wars vs. Star Trek", the old "Intel vs. AMD", and the ever-present "Microsoft vs. Apple vs. Open Source") this will probably be just another civil discussion. Much like the poll options allude to....

jeparz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

I suppose if I had to define myself I would be a spiritual atheist. I live a life of religious (mostly Christian and Buddhist) values and have no personal doubt, imperialistically, that I am a spirit. I have no compulsion to convince others of this and see no convincing reason that others, atheists or believers, should be compelled to convince me that their beliefs are something I must share.

joquito


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joquito
berlinvogel wrote:Yay!!!! So happy to see my fellow atheists step out of the closet!

What do you call someone who doesn't play chess? A non-chess player? Or someone who doesn't believe in Santa Claus? a non-Santa Clauser? Why do we have to have a word for people who don't believe in Bronze Age mythology written by savages? :^)



If the majority of society believes in Bronze age mythology, written by savages, then naturally society will provide a label for your unusual beliefs.

andybeals


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andybeals
joquito wrote:If the majority of society believes in Bronze age mythology, written by savages, then naturally society will provide a label for your unusual beliefs.



Lack of belief. Or is one of your hobbies "not building roads"?

IanIrvin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IanIrvin
mkmiller wrote:Not sure this statement accurately describes the relationship between belief and salvation, especially with America being a geographic region of many beliefs including the belief that there is no supreme being.



I think what he was getting at is that very very very few people choose their religion. They are born in to it. If you are a christian here, chances are if you were born in China you would be Buddhist, or Muslim if born in Pakistan. Any god that would decide your eternal fate over something so heavily based on what you were told to believe as a child is not worth the time.

Obviously there are people who "find" religion, but even then they usually find what they were exposed to.

atherea


quality posts: 0 Private Messages atherea

They can be obnoxious. Just like anyone who holds strongly to any belief (or non-belief).

I've known just as many overbearing and condescending atheists as I have fundamentalist Christians. Extremism happens on both sides, and often.

dennison45


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennison45

LOL. This was the funniest joke I've heard all day!

Your studying on wikipedia for 5 minutes also made me laugh.

DoDred wrote:I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are going to be missing out on. I know some that have covered to atheism from Christianity because they have fallen for the evolutionist dribble (and they think we have fallen for creationist dribble). I have given a lot of study to both. Creationist have the better end of it.



mimosa1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mimosa1

i am a firm believer that being in denial, is itself the proof that the "problem" exists,. i. e as in our government cover-ups!.....so, how can you deny that GOD exists, if you are disputing that HE does not????!!!!!!

beaglebrains


quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains
ripco wrote:I feel sorry for anyone that actually believes their salvation is tied to their geographic location ie religion.



Succinct and still awaiting a reasonable retort. +1

brado426


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brado426
DoDred wrote:I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are going to be missing out on. I know some that have covered to atheism from Christianity because they have fallen for the evolutionist dribble (and they think we have fallen for creationist dribble). I have given a lot of study to both. Creationist have the better end of it.



You don't have to pick evolutionist or creationist... both can be true. In fact, they compliment each other.

bpfordte


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpfordte

I've found that those that deny the existence of God are usually just looking for a way to avoid accountability. Our moral compass is defined by God, but if you take God out of the equation then our morals are defined by ourselves - flawed, and sinful humans. You think God created us to sleep with the same sex or kill our unborn? No, those are the result of humans trying to define morality.

Just a side note: I believe that those that believe there is a God, but don't believe in His Son, Jesus, as their Savior are just as lost as those that deny the existence of God completely. The Devil believes there is a God, but it's not going to get him out of hell.

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2

God was created, by man, to give answers to the unknown. Religion is a means to control the masses.

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2
bpfordte wrote:I've found that those that deny the existence of God are usually just looking for a way to avoid accountability. Our moral compass is defined by God, but if you take God out of the equation then our morals are defined by ourselves - flawed, and sinful humans. You think God created us to sleep with the same sex or kill our unborn? No, those are the result of humans trying to define morality.

Just a side note: I believe that those that believe there is a God, but don't believe in His Son, Jesus, as their Savior are just as lost as those that deny the existence of God completely. The Devil believes there is a God, but it's not going to get him out of hell.



So, you're saying the only thing that makes you a moral person is god? That's a pretty scary thought, and I hope you are right, about your god, because I don't want to see you become a serial killer.

And if you want to make this about same sex marriage and abortion, you have just opened a whole new can of worms.

olcubmaster


quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster

I think Todd sums my feelings up well in this one, titled "God Said".

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2
mimosa1 wrote:i am a firm believer that being in denial, is itself the proof that the "problem" exists,. i. e as in our government cover-ups!.....so, how can you deny that GOD exists, if you are disputing that HE does not????!!!!!!

Show me complete and irrefutable proof that a sky daddy does exist and I will forever believe, but until then...

May the Force be with you!

stevenam


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevenam
DoDred wrote:I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what they are going to be missing out on. I know some that have covered to atheism from Christianity because they have fallen for the evolutionist dribble (and they think we have fallen for creationist dribble). I have given a lot of study to both. Creationist have the better end of it.



"Evolutionist dribble"? Oh, you mean science? Yeah, I "fall for" that.

FreePlayPSP


quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
bpfordte wrote:I've found that those that deny the existence of God are usually just looking for a way to avoid accountability. Our moral compass is defined by God, but if you take God out of the equation then our morals are defined by ourselves - flawed, and sinful humans. You think God created us to sleep with the same sex or kill our unborn? No, those are the result of humans trying to define morality.

Just a side note: I believe that those that believe there is a God, but don't believe in His Son, Jesus, as their Savior are just as lost as those that deny the existence of God completely. The Devil believes there is a God, but it's not going to get him out of hell.

Yeah... no. Here's the thing. Accountability does not exist in the Christian moral system. The single deciding factor that determines whether you are rewarded or punished is your belief in Jesus, not your behavior. Your behavior is totally irrelevant. You could live a life of moral depravity and debauchery, killing every other human being on the planet, and then repent and become a Christian the moment before you die - and you'll be welcomed to the loving arms of God, given a mansion in heaven where you will be free from pain and suffering forever. Meanwhile, a pious believer in another religion could devote her entire life to helping those who suffer, are less fortunate, are oppressed, and so on. Then, when she dies, she gets agony and everlasting torment in a lake of fire.

There is no justice in this system. No accountability. Only madness. You can be more evil than Hitler and escape punishment; you can be the biggest saint who ever lived and be tortured for it.

Meanwhile, atheists want to actually hold human beings accountable while they're alive. You know... the only life anyone actually knows we have. The only time we can be sure that anyone gets justice or punishment as fits their behavior.

By the way, if your moral compass is defined by the God of the Old Testament, I don't want you anywhere near me. I can't be sure that you're not going to obey his command to invade my city and slaughter everyone who lives in it, save for the virgins who you'll take as your "wives". The moral standard exhibited by God and his chosen people in the Bible is not one any civilized person should consider worth obeying.

clarkbhm


quality posts: 19 Private Messages clarkbhm

How about an apatheist? As in, I'm not sure I care. There are more important things to worry about...

Maybe one day it'll matter to me, but I don't have time to sit and figure it out.

hot72chev


quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
FreePlayPSP wrote:Yeah... no. Here's the thing. Accountability does not exist in the Christian moral system. The single deciding factor that determines whether you are rewarded or punished is your belief in Jesus, not your behavior. Your behavior is totally irrelevant. You could live a life of moral depravity and debauchery, killing every other human being on the planet, and then repent and become a Christian the moment before you die - and you'll be welcomed to the loving arms of God, given a mansion in heaven where you will be free from pain and suffering forever. Meanwhile, a pious believer in another religion could devote her entire life to helping those who suffer, are less fortunate, are oppressed, and so on. Then, when she dies, she gets agony and everlasting torment in a lake of fire.

There is no justice in this system. No accountability. Only madness. You can be more evil than Hitler and escape punishment; you can be the biggest saint who ever lived and be tortured for it.

Meanwhile, atheists want to actually hold human beings accountable while they're alive. You know... the only life anyone actually knows we have. The only time we can be sure that anyone gets justice or punishment as fits their behavior.

By the way, if your moral compass is defined by the God of the Old Testament, I don't want you anywhere near me. I can't be sure that you're not going to obey his command to invade my city and slaughter everyone who lives in it, save for the virgins who you'll take as your "wives". The moral standard exhibited by God and his chosen people in the Bible is not one any civilized person should consider worth obeying.


STANDING OVATION! Well said!

I sure wish someone would show me how to post a video and I would share "Sky Cake" with you all.


What do you know, I learned something today.
(By the way this is not work or child friendly.)

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2

People ask me, "what do you believe in?"
I believe in myself; I believe in my family; I believe in my dog; I believe in my girlfriend; I believe in my co-workers; I believe in my boss; I believe in you; I believe in life; I believe in freedom...
Need I go on? And if you ask me what I worship, my answer will be fairly similar.

olcubmaster wrote:I think Todd sums my feelings up well in this one, titled "God Said".

I was just waiting for Simon Cowles to appear and put an end to this guy's horrid performance.

Not to discredit his song, because I do like the point he has. Christians put way too much into the whole god thing. If there was a god, I really think it would be crying over the way it's followers acted. And do you really think it would care if someone believed in it, or not? Very doubtful!

bsmith1


quality posts: 104 Private Messages bsmith1

There could be a higher power, but I doubt some dudes scribbling in a book 3000 years ago got it right.
The real answer to the greatest question lies in science, not superstition and folklore. To quote Brian Griffin, "I bet you that the real answer to the nature of our existence is going to be more unimaginably amazing than we can possibly conceive."

greyhaven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages greyhaven

I believe there are intelligent people on both sides.
I also believe that if the Christians would stop shouting hell and damnation at the atheists and trying to shove Jesus down people's throats they would probably find people asking more about him.
I also believe that if the atheists would quit calling religious people ignoramuses they would find people wanting to get along with them a lot more.
I also believe that the majority of both sides don't do the above, it's just the extremities that we see being jerks. I'm a Christian, my best friend, up until I moved away to another state, was an atheist (still is to the best of my knowledge), and he and I got along great despite our differences in beliefs.
I believe it's a lot easier to be a jerk to people over the internet than in person, so let's try not to on this forum?
Last thing I believe (well, that I believe and am going to tell you). I believe that, in the words of C.S. Lewis, "We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2
greyhaven wrote:I believe there are intelligent people on both sides.
I also believe that if the Christians would stop shouting hell and damnation at the atheists and trying to shove Jesus down people's throats they would probably find people asking more about him.
I also believe that if the atheists would quit calling religious people ignoramuses they would find people wanting to get along with them a lot more.
I also believe that the majority of both sides don't do the above, it's just the extremities that we see being jerks. I'm a Christian, my best friend, up until I moved away to another state, was an atheist (still is to the best of my knowledge), and he and I got along great despite our differences in beliefs.
I believe it's a lot easier to be a jerk to people over the internet than in person, so let's try not to on this forum?
Last thing I believe (well, that I believe and am going to tell you). I believe that, in the words of C.S. Lewis, "We are halfhearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."


You just won the interwebz!

ehejl


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ehejl

I was an atheist, but now I worship Woot.

theother1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1
theco2 wrote:Show me complete and irrefutable proof that a sky daddy does exist and I will forever believe, but until then...

May the Force be with you!



Show me complete and irrefutable proof that a sky daddy doesn't exist.

theco2


quality posts: 67 Private Messages theco2
theother1 wrote:Show me complete and irrefutable proof that a sky daddy doesn't exist.

You're the one claiming he exists. Why can't you prove it?

I have no need to prove anything, to anyone.

ellencherry8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ellencherry8

I feel like this poll is per se offensive. A retail site allowing anonymous people to abuse a large segment of society - encouraging it, in fact, by offering "not my problem if they're going to burn in hell" as an option - is pretty obnoxious. What could this possibly have to do with buying headphones or earrings? This is my first time visiting Woot!, and I feel like I've stumbled on a hate group.

Not cool. I'd ask that you please consider removing this "poll."

jmooney5115


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmooney5115

Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 2 Timothy 2:23

FreePlayPSP


quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
theother1 wrote:Show me complete and irrefutable proof that a sky daddy doesn't exist.



Show me complete and irrefutable proof that Thor doesn't exist.

FreePlayPSP


quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
jmooney5115 wrote:Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 2 Timothy 2:23



Alternatively, Proverbs 26:5.

Big ol' book of multiple choice, that Bible.

FreePlayPSP


quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
ellencherry8 wrote:I feel like this poll is per se offensive. A retail site allowing anonymous people to abuse a large segment of society - encouraging it, in fact, by offering "not my problem if they're going to burn in hell" as an option - is pretty obnoxious. What could this possibly have to do with buying headphones or earrings? This is my first time visiting Woot!, and I feel like I've stumbled on a hate group.

Not cool. I'd ask that you please consider removing this "poll."



Welcome to the internet, where you sometimes see things you don't like.

RKett


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
mkmiller wrote:Not sure this statement accurately describes the relationship between belief and salvation, especially with America being a geographic region of many beliefs including the belief that there is no supreme being.



I think he meant that which God you believe in is largely dependent on where you are born and raised.