metagg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages metagg

I hope the next poll is about circumcision. I can't believe people still mutilate their sons as common practice without actually doing research. Thanks religion. There are medical reasons too, but that decision should be made by the individual when he becomes an adult. Today's practice is unethical and needs to stop.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
dinajames wrote:Why does this seem to be the favorite argument of non believers? Christians use the old testament as a history lesson a foundation of how God reveled himself to his people. The new testament where we meet and learned of our Savior Jesus Christ is what we follow and how we should act. Loving our brother and picking them up where there are down. Just knowing the bible scriptures is not enough. He does not want us to judge..."He is without sin may cast the first stone" we are not all gay haters. We love our brothers as Jesus would have loved us for being imperfect flawed humans that we all are. And that is before sexual orientation comes into play If we walk as he did only spreading his words of love and peace and minding our own business then we deserve a mansion. Living according the new testament seems like a pretty awesome way to walk this earth until I can meet Him. Don't judges us by the teachings we believe in. There will never be anything wrong with having Faith and Hope and loving you fellow man.

I feel like I need to point out that you didn't disagree with me about how horribly evil the stuff that happens in the Old Testament really is.

I also feel like I need to point out that the Old Testament is the story of God's beloved and chosen people, whom he considered more righteous and deserving of his blessings than anyone else. I cannot fathom how any intelligent adult can honestly claim that they believe this deity is the same being as Jesus. Their moralities are irreconcilably at odds.

FreePlayPSP

marymarauder10 wrote:Where have you ever read that if you go around killing everyone and then at the last second say your sorry, and you'll go to heaven? I've grown up in a very Christian community and was taught that you don't get to heaven by your actions of one moment. You get to heaven by your actions over your life. Lead a good life and do your best and you'll be fine.

A couple places - both in the Bible. In the Old Testament, the Israelites had a habit of murdering entire nations to take their land, and all they had to do was sacrifice a few bulls, goats, and such before their sins were cleansed.

And John 3:16 explicitly says that whoever believes in Jesus will have eternal life. Actions are not relevant.

adamsfamily2011

quality posts: 1 Private Messages adamsfamily2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utf2E-8B3TE

FUNNY!!
I feel the way Dane does; I believe but I really don't care about your beliefs...

uasdj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uasdj

Here's what I believe: someone wanted a controversial poll to drum up traffic on their site.

naudiaakaknott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages naudiaakaknott

I actually don't really care. If that's what people want to believe in... Or whatever... Than that's fine with me...
I personally don't really get how anyone could be atheists really... I mean... I guess being Christian all my life it's hard to think about what it would be like not believing in Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father... But hey, I have friends who are atheists who kind of laugh at what I believe and ask me questions.
I guess my questions to the atheists out there, how do you think we were made? How were our world and others made? Do you pray that something will happen or not happen? If you do, who you pray to? You know question like that... I'm sure I could ask more questions, but none are really coming to mind...
Are people REALLY atheists? Or do they just say that because they don't really want to say they have a "religion"?
Yep... My two cents...

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

uasdj wrote:Here's what I believe: someone wanted a controversial poll to drum up traffic on their site.

Sounds like something that SOMEONE WHO THINKS DEEP SPACE NINE WAS THE BEST SERIES would say.

Bobbb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bobbb

People that believe in silly myths and fairy tales with no basis in fact or reality. Should be deemed mentally unstable

allykayte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages allykayte

I have always felt being atheist would leave you empty inside. Personally I am a nondenominational christian. I believe all the good stuff just don't believe in organized religion and what it has evolved to. Also if there was a big bang how do you get a bang from nothing?

rworth01

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rworth01
dinajames wrote:Why does this seem to be the favorite argument of non believers? Christians use the old testament as a history lesson a foundation of how God reveled himself to his people. The new testament where we meet and learned of our Savior Jesus Christ is what we follow and how we should act. Loving our brother and picking them up where there are down. Just knowing the bible scriptures is not enough. He does not want us to judge..."He is without sin may cast the first stone" we are not all gay haters. We love our brothers as Jesus would have loved us for being imperfect flawed humans that we all are. And that is before sexual orientation comes into play If we walk as he did only spreading his words of love and peace and minding our own business then we deserve a mansion. Living according the new testament seems like a pretty awesome way to walk this earth until I can meet Him. Don't judges us by the teachings we believe in. There will never be anything wrong with having Faith and Hope and loving you fellow man.

Are you really sure the Old Testament is no longer valid? Here is a list of New Testament quotes copied from evilbible.com that say just the opposite.

New Testament Verses Which Demand Following the Old Testament and Law Contradictions:

I hear so many Christians now a days claim that the Old Testament is defunct for Jesus was the “lamb” to clear away its rules and regulations. This is just another detention scapegoat that Christians use to ignore the atrocities and bizarre laws commanded by their god. Their preachers spoon feed them that the Old Testament is no longer binding so that they can excuse the majority of evil that the bible promotes. I am so tired of Christians manipulating the scriptures so that they can assign a kinder nature to their God, that I have assembled a BRIEF list of verses which clearly show that the Old Testament is not to be ignored. Its laws should indeed be adhered to, for the New Testament demands it! After this section I shall list where the Bible contradicts itself concerning other laws.

1) “For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.

2) All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn’t the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

4) Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

5) Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: “He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.” (Matthew 15:4-7)

6) Jesus has a punishment even worse than his father concerning adultery: God said the act of adultery was punishable by death. Jesus says looking with lust is the same thing and you should gouge your eye out, better a part, than the whole. The punishment under Jesus is an eternity in Hell. (Matthew 5:27)

7) Peter says that all slaves should “be subject to [their] masters with all fear,” to the bad and cruel as well as the “good and gentle.” This is merely an echo of the same slavery commands in the Old Testament. 1 Peter 2:18

8) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).

9) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

What a road you all have coasted down.
Does it really matter?
No.
Are you a great person?
You will be forgotten.
Along with most of your thoughts and cares.
"The living know that they will die, but the dead are conscience of nothing at all."
Yes, that is from the bible.
Really.
Enjoy your life, and avoid the strife.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
liljackill wrote:Here's the thing. I'm an atheist. While I'm frequently amused by the beliefs of the religious, to each his own. So long as they keep it their own.

My issues with religion stem from it being inflicted on others. I'm personally not a big fan of people's happiness being crushed because religion decided they can't be with the one that they love. I'm not real keen on outlawing a medical procedure based on religion, particularly when there are directions in the religion's texts on how to administer a primitive form of the same. Killing or going to war over ancient texts' decrees isn't really my cup of tea, either.

I'm also really not on board with using fear of eternal punishment to coerce developing children into following one of the most amoral texts ever spread, or into professing their love for a being who says that he'll punish them if they don't.

Excellent!!

Discord

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Discord

Just because you believe what your parents taught you doesn't mean that you are right. My parents told me that Santa Claus was real. Then I found out that he was not real.

Now you should give up your imaginary friend. It's only right.

theco2

quality posts: 74 Private Messages theco2
daveinwarshington wrote:However..... If you are wrong about God..... And you are an Atheist..... Eternity is a looooong time!!!!!

I always get a kick out of the "if you're wrong" statements. If we are wrong, I have a feeling it's still not going to be as bad as christians make it out to be.

allykayte wrote:I have always felt being atheist would leave you empty inside.

Why should I feel empty inside? It's not like I don't have my family, my dog, my girlfriend, my job, etc. and I have more time for them.

allykayte also wrote:Also if there was a big bang how do you get a bang from nothing?

It's really complicated, but this should help explain.
Can You Get Something For Nothing?

theco2

Discord wrote:Just because you believe what your parents taught you doesn't mean that you are right. My parents told me that Santa Claus was real. Then I found out that he was not real.

Now you should give up your imaginary friend. It's only right.

I like telling people to replace every instance of "Jesus," in the bible, with "Santa Clause" and every instance of "god" with "The Tooth Fairy," and tell me if it still sounds legitimate.

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
dymongoose wrote:
How do I feel about Atheists? I'm sort of sad for them because they actively reject God's love.

Love them. Don't pity anyone. It breeds resentment. Just love them the way they are. Feeling sorry for someone is a judgment, a judgment you (or I) are not equipped to make.

theco2 wrote:Oh, I understand it. I also understand the bible and religion and the whole "god" thing...

I said nothing about religion, which is where you seem to be focused. I spoke of faith. Not the morality or doctrine by which people express it.

bsmith1 wrote:
1) How do you know god exists?

To answer #1 - I know I God exists the same way my body knew to breath when I was born. It was ingrained in my DNA, if you will. (I was not raised in a religious home, we didn't go to church, didn't learn our morals from the Bible. I just *knew*)

Miracles have nothing to do with it. I don't need tangible proof to backup what my entire being already knows.

Now religion? That's a debate for the ages.

Also, someone doesn't believe in a higher power? Okie dokie. That's it. Okie. Dokie.

FreePlayPSP

allykayte wrote:I have always felt being atheist would leave you empty inside.

Nope. Life is pretty good!

allykayte wrote:Also if there was a big bang how do you get a bang from nothing?

There was never nothing. That's the Biblical story, not the Big Bang.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy

No matter which side you come from or what your beliefs are, I think everyone should read Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris.

dymongoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dymongoose
thumperchick wrote:Love them. Don't pity anyone. It breeds resentment. Just love them the way they are. Feeling sorry for someone is a judgment, a judgment you (or I) are not equipped to make.

You're right, I should have worded that differently. I definitely should have mentioned the love I try to have for them, and didn't mean to imply pity. It's more of a personal frustration over their rejection of the unknown.

theco2

Instead of praying for me, please send money, or something.
I can use money.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Late to the party, but what the heck.

I've never been able to believe. I tried for a long time as I became an adult, but even though I was raised in a Christian household I could never fully buy the whole thing. It sounds made up, even to a child. I was never an in-your-face atheist, like say Christopher Hitchens (who was antitheist). Then Newtown happened.

In my line of work I create things. I combine materials to make a finished product. I take pride in doing a good job. I've never really thought much of myself, I've shunned pride my whole life, but I still consider myself good at what I do. When I make a mistake it really bothers me a lot.

At any rate, if I see a problem that will ruin the job, something I can fix or prevent from wasting the materials and the work of myself and others I fix it. I don't let it slide or turn a blind eye. And you know what? Even if I did no one would die.

There is no supreme being. This god character if he existed would be the biggest piece of homework to ever plague mankind and should be considered a willful accomplice to the atrocities of the tortured minds that wreak such horrors upon the innocent. All those children just... gone. Murdered. For what? Their sins? flunk you.

"The Lord works in mysterious ways!" detention. Your "Lord" doesn't work at all.

"Look at the all the good works of the Church!" Yes, all achieved by good people. Good people tend to do good things. Bad people tend to do bad things. And those who don't exist don't do anything at all.

"You're just a spoiled child angry at God." I am neither a child nor spoiled (though that is relative I suppose), and it is impossible to be mad at a thing that isn't real. I am angry at those who pass off the "God" fallacy as something to aspire to. For example people who said, "God bless the families of those poor children." Use that energy for something useful instead, don't just sit there lying and think you've done something good. I'm not pretending to speak for anyone btw, just doing my best to not imagine what I would actually do or say if faced with such a thoughtless phrase at a time like that.

You want to follow the teachings of Jesus, that's great. There is a lot of wonderful guidance to be found in the New Testament that requires zero belief in any ancient superstitions or adhering to arcane rituals and vulgar edicts. Doing it for treasures in heaven or simply to avoid eternal damnation is nothing but a hollow endeavor. Use that energy for something useful.

Love each other. Teach each other. Care for each other. We are all we have. There is no supreme being.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
strawhousepig wrote:Late to the party, but what the heck.

I've never been able to believe. I tried for a long time as I became an adult, but even though I was raised in a Christian household I could never fully buy the whole thing. It sounds made up, even to a child. I was never an in-your-face atheist, like say Christopher Hitchens (who was antitheist). Then Newtown happened.

In my line of work I create things. I combine materials to make a finished product. I take pride in doing a good job. I've never really thought much of myself, I've shunned pride my whole life, but I still consider myself good at what I do. When I make a mistake it really bothers me a lot.

At any rate, if I see a problem that will ruin the job, something I can fix or prevent from wasting the materials and the work of myself and others I fix it. I don't let it slide or turn a blind eye. And you know what? Even if I did no one would die.

There is no supreme being. This god character if he existed would be the biggest piece of homework to ever plague mankind and should be considered a willful accomplice to the atrocities of the tortured minds that wreak such horrors upon the innocent. All those children just... gone. Murdered. For what? Their sins? flunk you.

"The Lord works in mysterious ways!" detention. Your "Lord" doesn't work at all.

"Look at the all the good works of the Church!" Yes, all achieved by good people. Good people tend to do good things. Bad people tend to do bad things. And those who don't exist don't do anything at all.

"You're just a spoiled child angry at God." I am neither a child nor spoiled (though that is relative I suppose), and it is impossible to be mad at a thing that isn't real. I am angry at those who pass off the "God" fallacy as something to aspire to. For example people who said, "God bless the families of those poor children." Use that energy for something useful instead, don't just sit there lying and think you've done something good. I'm not pretending to speak for anyone btw, just doing my best to not imagine what I would actually do or say if faced with such a thoughtless phrase at a time like that.

You want to follow the teachings of Jesus, that's great. There is a lot of wonderful guidance to be found in the New Testament that requires zero belief in any ancient superstitions or adhering to arcane rituals and vulgar edicts. Doing it for treasures in heaven or simply to avoid eternal damnation is nothing but a hollow endeavor. Use that energy for something useful.

Love each other. Teach each other. Care for each other. We are all we have. There is no supreme being.

Late to the party, you are. But this is the most well thought out response to this question yet. I hope all who were following this thread will come back to read this. So glad you stopped by, late or not. STANDING OVATION!

FreePlayPSP

dymongoose wrote:You're right, I should have worded that differently. I definitely should have mentioned the love I try to have for them, and didn't mean to imply pity. It's more of a personal frustration over their rejection of the unknown.

We don't reject the unknown at all. We just refuse to call it "God" just because it is unknown.

theco2

@strawhousepig, thanks for the input. I love the way you think, because you are right on the money.

EmptyBlade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmptyBlade

Another person coming late to the discussion, but for what it's worth, I think many of those people who are just passively part of a religious group like the Catholic church are doing evil. I don't think the individuals necessarily ARE evil, but they are doing evil by perpetuating this organization.

The organization of the Catholic church draws its power from the number of adherents it claims, and the number of people who will listen to the words of its leadership. And what does it do with this power? It promotes prejudice against gays, tells people not to use condoms who then go on to contract fatal illnesses, protects priests who abuse children, opposes gay marriage, tries to stop stem cell research, etc. etc.

I have friends who want to get married and have to move away to another state, in large part because of the influence of the church. Not long ago, they wouldn't have been able to do it at all. People around the country are dead who could have been saved by stem cell research or practicing safe sex. People ARE suffering and dying even to this day because of the existence of the church.

And why does the church continue to exist and have the power to do this? Not only because of the small number of vocal figureheads that are actively pushing these agendas, but also because of the large number of people who are just passively Catholics because they were raised that way, and will continue to raise their children that way.

Even if you are not pushing these issues personally, by continuing to support this organization, you share in the responsibility.

I speak of the Catholic church because they are the largest such organization in the US, but each religious person should evaluate the views and positions of the leadership of their chosen faith and ask if they deserve your continued support.

Still want to believe in God? You don't need to be Catholic to do that. Go ahead and make your own little Christian organization (that's what the protestants did). Don't go to their churches, don't associate with them, don't donate to them, don't tell people you are Catholic. They are a corrupt, selfish, and bigoted organization. To be a member of that organization, no matter how passive you are, is to support those ideas.

A person who simply wishes to hold to their faith and do so without making themselves a part of this machine, I can accept. I wouldn't agree with them, but I would accept them. A person who passively goes along with an organization like that is partially responsible for everything that organization does.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
skemmis wrote:Sounds like something that SOMEONE WHO THINKS DEEP SPACE NINE WAS THE BEST SERIES would say.

I C WHUT U DID THAR.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Discord wrote:Just because you believe what your parents taught you doesn't mean that you are right. My parents told me that Santa Claus was real. Then I found out that he was not real.

LIES.

Santa Claus is a SPIRIT OF GIVING who LIVES IN THE HEARTS OF ANYONE WHO CELEBRATES THE HOLIDAY IN THE FULLNESS OF SPIRIT.

/SpiritFingers

/Exit-StageRight

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick
Moueska wrote:LIES.

Santa Claus is a SPIRIT OF GIVING who LIVES IN THE HEARTS OF ANYONE WHO CELEBRATES THE HOLIDAY IN THE FULLNESS OF SPIRIT.

/SpiritFingers

/Exit-StageRight

theco2

thumperchick wrote:

Thou shall have no other goddesses before her.
I love Eliza Dushku!