WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gerber Knives: Not for Babies!

The way we picture it, Gerber the baby company was like "Hey guys, you should probably let us have that name all to ourselves." So Gerber the knife company was all "Why don't we see what these knives have to say about it?" And the baby Gerber went "Actually, it's cool, never mind."
Gerber Gear official site

rjsdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsdad

US or Chinese blade?

fritoeata

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fritoeata
rjsdad wrote:US or Chinese blade?

My understanding is that if a product isn't stamped with a COO, and it is NOT domestically made (ie; conforming with "Made in USA" laws) it is in direct violation.
No stamp is presumed domestic.

...I would brag about it, were it my product... It's suspicious. I bet it's Chinese.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/492/~/requirements-for-country-of-origin-marking-on-goods-imported-into-the-u.s.

drummingcraig

quality posts: 10 Private Messages drummingcraig

The Descent model lists it metal as being 7Cr17MoV SS which is Chinese Stainless Steel. Although the other two knives here don't specify the metal, I would think at this price point it is pretty safe to assume Chinese origin.

For future reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blade_materials

So are we gonna kick it - Gonna kick it woot down - Gonna break it all down - Gonna kick it woot down!

cdubbya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdubbya

The descent II states "partially serrated" blade, but the pic shows not a serrate anywhere on it. which is correct?

username0password

quality posts: 0 Private Messages username0password

PDF showing zip code restrictions for NY doesn't work...Double fail...
1)because I have to check that list...Shameful on many levels...
2) Because woots link isn't working.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Buyer says they're Chinese.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

cdubbya wrote:The descent II states "partially serrated" blade, but the pic shows not a serrate anywhere on it. which is correct?

The pic. Sounds like our folks got the wrong information on the Descent. It's fine-edge and not serrated.

I'm sorry for the error. If you need to change the status or your order as a result of this, please send an email to Support@Woot.com.

Apologies again.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

More knives from Cold Steel please.

Thanks.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

I have a Gerber knife I carry daily that has the fast opening feature. It's a great knife (not one of the ones listed) but be aware that some places may consider it a switchblade. I think it's silly, but it's true...

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

The "22-41971 Answer Knife" uses 440A SS - which makes it basically a butter knife.

440A is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Stainless Steel. Avoid.

kcmtnbiker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcmtnbiker

Received my Answer knife in the mail today and am not impressed. The knife overall feels cheap. The lock button feels like it will fail at any time and it's not as fast opeing as some of my other assisted opening knives. Expectations were low based on specs and price point so I'm not terribly disapointed.