WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Foscam Security Cameras

Ahhh, security cameras. So many choices, so little time. Well, if you like the one we're pluggin' over on Tech.Woot, you've only got the rest of the day to snap it up. These here guys'll be around for a few more. Just long enough for that little jerk from next door to trample your azaleas while you still have no way to prove it.

theimmc

quality posts: 10 Private Messages theimmc

The FI8620 has a 10x optical zoom, which explains its high price. It does not have IR LEDs, nor is it capable of using external IR lamp (filter cuts off IR light).

Manual : http://www.foscam.com/Private/ProductFiles/FI8620%20user%20manual-20120401.pdf

daha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daha

Awww...sheet. Y'all don have t'worry 'bout them so-called security cameras. Ya kin tell by the name itz fake. Just look: Fo' Scam.

acheek24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acheek24

Are these (particularly the FI8916WB ) only capable of streaming the video? Are you able to configure them to save to a server?

flashburn02

quality posts: 4 Private Messages flashburn02
acheek24 wrote:Are these (particularly the FI8916WB ) only capable of streaming the video? Are you able to configure them to save to a server?

I can speak to the wireless outdoor camearas:

No and yes. They can record video if you are using the older version of the firmware, you leave a computer internet browser on the camera 24/7, and you have a spot defined within the GUI.

They CANNOT record video over IP unless you are actively logged into the camera. The best they can do is email a FTP server a still image when motion capture is enabled at predefined intervals.

The good about these cameras: great night vision capability. Easy to use GUI, but the feature let you down (read the above paragraph). Is very well constructed to beat the elements.

The bad about these cameras: The wireless cards on these are junk and drop often, making their surveillance ability pretty pathetic. The newer firmware doesn't support video recording (likely because the wireless cards are junk and it is hard to transmit all that date).

I had two and returned them both. I'm holding out for a zmoto wired DVR setup.

Mowar!

dannocaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannocaz

All the Foscam IP cameras can record the video if you have a 3rd party program like "Blue Iris" or a free one like "Ispy". These programs run on a computer on the network and can be scheduled to record several cameras at certain times and/or use motion sensing. Be advised the indoor cameras listed here are a model older than their newwer ones which is the FI8910 series.

kchung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kchung

I for one uses Blue Iris with Foscam cameras and it works great! I use it as my baby cam in my nursery.

skier1276

quality posts: 7 Private Messages skier1276

I have two FI8910W cameras set up a different locations. Woot isn't offering the FI8910W in this sale, but has the older model. I beleive the older model doesn't have the IR Cut. If you do a little googling, you can see what the image qaulity looks like. It's going to be a bit more washed out; greens may appear more white.

Setup on these cams isn't too bad. Just make sure you know your way around your router and you have a basic idea of how port forwarding works. I found there are some great videos on youtube that will walk you through the process. In addition to port forwarding you'll need a static IP or a an IP service (free) like no-ip.org. My FI8910W firmware had no-ip.org as an available service from the cam controls.

I mostly view the cams from an app on my iphone and ipad. It's great to check up when on the go.

rcordosi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcordosi

Looong time wooter here. Don't post on the forums much though, but wanted to chime in on these cams. I just 2 weeks ago returned the Foscam FI8916WB to amazon. There is a big problem with many of these models that Foscam can't fix because it's a hardware issue. They lock up when the video is very bright or the scene is busy or complicated. I had the cam pointing at a large dog crate and every single time the bars on the crate filled the screen, the video would lock up and the unit would reboot. It did the same thing when I pointed it out the window during the day. When it got dark, the cam was fine. I updated to the latest firmware, hooked the cam directly to Ethernet, moved it around. Nothing helped. Searched the forums on the Foscam site and found this: http://foscam.us/forum/8910w-hanging-rebooting-based-on-image-data-t5769.html . The post has over 215 replies and over 14,000 views. the issue is spread over many models because they use the same internals. General consensus is that it started happening about 6 months ago when they updated the IR cut filter. I wont buy another one until this issue is solved outright. Buyer beware.

jayjay72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayjay72
kchung wrote:I for one uses Blue Iris with Foscam cameras and it works great! I use it as my baby cam in my nursery.

I use Blue Iris as well since the software is actually pretty good and for how many cameras it can manage most other companies would charge you $200+ and BI is only about $60. Pretty nice. I use it at home to see what my dog is up to but I use IP Cam Viewer to view all the cameras via my Android phone.

mrtorben

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrtorben
jayjay72 wrote:I use Blue Iris as well since the software is actually pretty good and for how many cameras it can manage most other companies would charge you $200+ and BI is only about $60. Pretty nice. I use it at home to see what my dog is up to but I use IP Cam Viewer to view all the cameras via my Android phone.

I have 7 foscam cameras (different age and models) connected to my Synology NAS and its surveillance station. I think I only had one bad one, that had dust in the lense assembly. After cleaning it, it works just fine. For the low price, they work great with Synology. I can't afford half a dozen $300 IP cameras, so at ~$60 for the indoor version, it is a great value. At that price, even if they were to break quickly(my oldest is 6 years and still ticking) i don't mind replacing it.

I don't use the native software, so this may be cause for different experiences but having a NAS at home these days is certainly worth the expense, just for having you private cloud and media streaming (without NSA reading your private data).

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

I'll stick to a better quality camera and better brand.

These cameras have security issues and holes that allows easy access and control of your feed.

Buyer beware

dannocaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannocaz
asjxvii wrote:I'll stick to a better quality camera and better brand.

These cameras have security issues and holes that allows easy access and control of your feed.

Buyer beware

These cameras are no less secure than $400 cameras. Use weak passwords and if you allow access over the internet, then hackers could use brute force methods to access the stream.
The quality issue is not security, it's the hardware which is produced cheaply in China factorys.

AVspec

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AVspec

I have tried other wifi cameras and I like the Foscam cameras the best out of all of them. I have four, 3 inside and 1 outdoor and they all work very well and send me email notifications with pictures attached showing what is going on during my alarm notification times I get to set in the camera.They are priced very good here and if I just did not order 3 more direct from Foscam I would be purchasing then here.

brnscofrnld

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brnscofrnld
skier1276 wrote:I have two FI8910W cameras set up a different locations. Woot isn't offering the FI8910W in this sale, but has the older model. I beleive the older model doesn't have the IR Cut. If you do a little googling, you can see what the image qaulity looks like. It's going to be a bit more washed out; greens may appear more white.

Setup on these cams isn't too bad. Just make sure you know your way around your router and you have a basic idea of how port forwarding works. I found there are some great videos on youtube that will walk you through the process. In addition to port forwarding you'll need a static IP or a an IP service (free) like no-ip.org. My FI8910W firmware had no-ip.org as an available service from the cam controls.

I mostly view the cams from an app on my iphone and ipad. It's great to check up when on the go.

I will second this.

I have two FI8910W's, setup was easy. One of the cameras is coming up on a year running with a few reboots here and there, but you can have it send you an email if there is an IP change if you have a Dynamic IP address. Good apps available on Android (and i see above that there are also ones for iOS).

Good camera for checking on the house when on vacation. I set it to send me pictures when there is motion detected, but most of the time I have the motion detect off when home. Fun camera to look in on the dogs and even "talk" to them. It sounds more muffled from the internal speaker, but you can hook up an external speaker, which I have not tried yet.

DigitalFoobar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DigitalFoobar
flashburn02 wrote:I can speak to the wireless outdoor camearas

Literally.. Some of these also have built-in mics. I have an app on my smart phone that will allow me to speak with someone in front of the camera thanks to built-in speakers and mic.

rms154

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rms154

It appears there are 2 versions of fi8918wb? Foscam's website shows one with a resolution of 640x480 pixels http://www.foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=151 and the other 1280*720 Pixels (video 720) http://www.foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=158. The version on Woot is 640x480. Downer.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rms154 wrote:It appears there are 2 versions of fi8918wb? Foscam's website shows one with a resolution of 640x480 pixels http://www.foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=151 and the other 1280*720 Pixels (video 720) http://www.foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=158. The version on Woot is 640x480. Downer.

There's a slight difference in the model numbers that you are looking at on Foscam. One is 8918, the other is 9818.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

Great feedback on Foscam cameras here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/08/13/how-a-creep-hacked-a-baby-monitor-to-say-lewd-things-to-a-2-year-old/

CompuPsych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CompuPsych

Does anyone know what the return policy is for the Foscam cameras if I'm not happy with its performance (as opposed to it being clearly defective)? I haven't been able to find a clear answer on the site, I emailed Woot and was told that I should get an answer within 24 hours, and there are no support phone #'s. I love Woot overall, but am not happy with their support! Thanks!

ThunderThighs

Staff

CompuPsych wrote:Does anyone know what the return policy is for the Foscam cameras if I'm not happy with its performance (as opposed to it being clearly defective)? I haven't been able to find a clear answer on the site, I emailed Woot and was told that I should get an answer within 24 hours, and there are no support phone #'s. I love Woot overall, but am not happy with their support! Thanks!

Our FAQ addresses that pretty well.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CompuPsych

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CompuPsych
ThunderThighs wrote:Our FAQ addresses that pretty well.

I did look at your FAQ closely, and am still unclear. I even did a search on the word "return", and this is all that I found:

Will I receive customer support like I'm used to?
Not quite. If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on Craigslist or at a garage sale. It's likely you'll make money doing this and save everyone a hassle. If the item doesn't work, first, find out what you're doing wrong. Yes, we know you think the item is bad, but it's probably your fault. Google your problem, or come back to that product discussion in our community and ask other people if they know. Try to call the manufacturer and ask if they know. If you give up and must return it to us, then follow on to the next FAQ entry.

How do I return a defective product?
Unless we specifically tell you not to, call the manufacturer of the product you bought. You will likely get a replacement of a new model or better item from them. If we still haven't dissuaded you, report your issue through our Support page. It'll go a lot easier if you have the order number, the name of the product you are returning, and a detailed explanation of the problem. We will respond with return authorization by the next business day. Because we aren't likely to have a replacement in stock, you should be prepared for a refund-only option if that's all we can do. Know that return freight will be at your expense. Again, you will probably get a better deal from the manufacturer, or whoever else handling member service for that product.

The end of the first section states "If you give up and must return it to us, then follow on to the next FAQ entry.", but the next section refers only to defective returns.

Given my positive experiences in the past, I always assumed that Woot would take back a product that the buyer found unsatisfactory, even if it wasn't defective. Your FAQ suggests that this may not be the case. Please clarify your product satisfaction policy.

Regarding Foscam products in particular, I have seen numerous complaints about their technical support and their unwillingness to RMA equipment that was clearly defective. Your FAQ indicates that you will accept defective returns, albeit reluctantly. How long are you willing to accept defective returns?

Thank you

dugsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dugsmith

Link to a story that just popped up on my local news. Interesting since it calls out Foscam specifically. Just another reason that you really need to plan your system out completly.

http://wtkr.com/2013/08/14/baby-monitor-hacked-expletives-heard-through-web-cam/

ThunderThighs

Staff

@CompuPsych: You are correct that returns are generally for defective product only. If you are unsatisfied with a product, you can contact the manufacturer or sell it.

Unlike online department stores, we don't carry standing inventory where we can put return stock. Wooters generally know that they should do due diligence in their research before purchasing.

If you have any trouble getting support or service from FOSCAM, contact support@woot.com and we will assist. We are working with Foscam directly so we can intervene if necessary.

bobbymc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbymc

I was all set to buy a couple of the outdoor models and found instructions for installation on YouTube.

Waaaaay too much of an installation problem and other stuff you need to buy, not to mention that some of the camera's parts aren't too well made.

Not for me.

asjxvii

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asjxvii

Trendnet has better security cams than Foscam from my experience. Buyer beware on poor quality on the Foscam

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
asjxvii wrote:Trendnet has better security cams than Foscam from my experience. Buyer beware on poor quality on the Foscam

Your experience doesnt seem to match online reviews, and Trendnet cams cost more. Nobody says that Foscam makes the best, most reliable cam....but you cant get this level of features and quality at this price with other brands.

kmischka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmischka

Wow. I'm encouraged and, frankly, surprised by your offer to help ("intervene," if I remember correctly) if a woot! customer can't get a reasonable level of support from the manufacturer. My perception - from reading forums and some product descriptions - has been that you're pretty much out of luck if the item is junk.

I'm even tempted to go for one of these cameras...without audio, so no one talks smack to my dog. Wish me luck, and thanks.

kpmischka

DigitalFoobar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DigitalFoobar
bobbymc wrote:I was all set to buy a couple of the outdoor models and found instructions for installation on YouTube.

Waaaaay too much of an installation problem and other stuff you need to buy, not to mention that some of the camera's parts aren't too well made.

Not for me.

I would anticipate that an electrician can do the installation for you. They have outdoor-wireless cameras, so the challenge would be providing it power if you currently dont have an outlet, etc. the signal will then work over wi-fi without the need to wire it directly to your router/network.

vulcan122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vulcan122

Awesome tech support service. Irish helped me setup to the WAN so that I can remote to my camera when I am away from my house. He was very knowledgeable and I would highly recommend him to anyone that needs tech support.