wimawep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wimawep

Has Onkyo ever fixed there unique and absurd separate "ON" and"STANDBY" buttons. This make their units incompatible with every universal remote out there that has one button for on and off.

2pair

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2pair
wimawep wrote:Has Onkyo ever fixed there unique and absurd separate "ON" and"STANDBY" buttons. This make their units incompatible with every universal remote out there that has one button for on and off.

I use an Onkyo TX-SR504 from 2007 with a Logitech harmony one just fine.

gkrausmann

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gkrausmann

What does this do, exactly? How do I know if I need one?

msujoubre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msujoubre

I have this receiver and think it is a great for my usage.
I have zone 1 for my home theater and I use zone 2 to power 4 rooms worth of speakers and stream music either from Pandora or DLNA.

I have an older Onkyo that was of the time period of the bad hdmi boards. I have no idea how that one worked as it came broken with the house I bought. I have two other Onkyo amplifiers that are 16 and 11 years old that I have had no issues with.

In regards to HDMI, the boards are different in layout and some components compared to a model from 2010 with same # HDMI ports. Whether this means the HDMI issues are a thing of the pass, I cannot say. The boards are markedly different though which is promising.

Off and standby have played no issue in my universal remote having issues as it has none with the receiver. My television takes longer to boot than the receiver so standby hasn't been an issue. The receiver starts outputing sound within 5 to 7 seconds, as far as video, I can't say as my television takes about 10 to 15 seconds to boot up. I currently am using a Logitec harmony smart remote to control the receiver, a tv, a cable box, and a Roku with no problems. Off and on work just fine. You may have to adjust your HDMI CEC settings to get other components to work with the remote as it will cause unexpected power cycling, but I had no need to change them on any hardware I owned from factory defaults.

As far as zone 2, I can verify it is independent. It is picky of the source from what I've read (no HDMI, if you want something visual, it has to be analog IIRC). It will stream Pandora and or access my DLNA server over zone 2 while my wife watches TV on zone 1, so they are independent.

Wifi is strong. I have it in a media closet about 40' from my router without a direct line of sight and about 30' from my computer, again, no direct line of sight and on another floor to boot and have no issues streaming Pandora. This is with two atlantic technology 2.4 ghz audio transmitters in the same closest on two different channels. For a time, the Roku was in there as well with no interference issues.

The only weakness for me that I see with the receiver is that the DLNA implementation is a little flaky right now. This didn't change whether it was wired or wireless. This could be an issue on the server side or with the router though as I haven't spent much time trying to fix it yet. I'm leaning towards operator error though at this time.

It does run warm, but it also has a large, but silent fan pulling air through the unit. Something to keep in mind if you want to stick it in a confined area without ventilation. You may want a different receiver.

Many televisions will up convert a source nowadays, so this wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I could see it being an issue for some. I felt that at 399 it was a good deal and 329 it seems like a steal for my needs at least.

InvisiBill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages InvisiBill
douglasstclair wrote:In addition to the fire issue, there's a known HDMI switching problem with older (I believe) receivers.

I have one of these Onkyo receivers that has the HDMI switching problem. Once the problem surfaced, some of the HDMI ports would take 2-3 minutes to "warm up" before they'd become viewable. Other HDMI ports would never become viewable. I lived with this problem for about a year (PITA), and then began researching replacement models.

Before spending money on a new receiver, I attempted to fix my old receiver by replacing the 5 capacitors on the HDMI switching board (lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do this). I've never been real successful with soldering, but figured it was worth a shot since the unit was going to the scrap heap. The process took about an hour, and the parts cost < $10 at Radio Shack. To my surprise... the damn thing now works flawlessly again. So for now... I'll contine to enjoy my heater / receiver combo.

I bought the HT-S6100 HTiaB set (including the HT-R667 receiver) almost exactly 4 years ago. Recently, the DVD connection has been giving me occasional problems. Sometimes it acts like it's not connected at all, and other times it works perfectly fine. It may be this "warmup" time you describe, as it will usually just start working after messing around with it (changing inputs back and forth, etc.) for a little while. I've never seen this issue on any other HDMI port, but plugging the Blu-Ray player into a different port didn't immediately fix it either. I've also tried a new HDMI cable, which also didn't immediately correct the issue. The signs seemed to indicate it was my Blu-Ray (as other ports and cables also did the same thing), so I didn't look too closely at the receiver.

I'm very familiar with the bad capacitor epidemic from a few years ago (failure to power up and an amber light on a Dell 270/280/620 is pretty much guaranteed to be blown caps), so I'll probably check mine tonight, and maybe just replace the caps for good measure.

Other than this one little problem, I love my Onkyo recevier though. Audyssey made setup a breeze, and it's always just worked well. I'm a little wary based on my own HDMI issue and the fact that a much-worse version of the problem seems to be pretty common, but I'd like to upgrade for some of the new features. I will miss the iPhone dock, but my old model only did audio from it anyway, so I should be able to just stream the MP3s over the network instead (in addition to all the other network options this model supports). I've got a friend who could use my old receiver, so that's a bit more incentive to upgrade too.

Still on the fence, but leaning...

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman
ThunderThighs wrote:Hi all. I would like to point out that the various issues you are pointing out were for units made in 2012 and earlier. Onkyo has acknowledge many of those issues and you can find information about them and firmware updates on their Press Release page.

Our unit is the 2013 Onkyo RC560. It is a custom unit similar to the Onkyo TX-NR626 made just for Woot. You can see here that the Onkyo TX-NR626 has good reviews on Amazon.

Well, they haven't fixed the fire issue . . . I can tell you first hand.

We had the TX-NR626 in use at the office in a media room and it burned up - as in actually caught on fire (June 2013). Purchase was via Amazon in May 2013 (our review states 'verified purchase" when we place it on their site) but every time we put up our review, Amazon keeps removing it (sometimes in a day - sometimes in an hour). . . I finally gave up trying. Amazon says that they want some kind of documentation from a fire department - like a incident report or the like - before they will let the review stand as written, well, we didn't call the FD, we unplugged the unit, pulled it by the cord away from the rack (damaging other components in the process) and threw a fire blanket over it . . . They (Amazon) took the unit back - FIRE DAMAGE AND ALL - and issued a refund, but they sure don't want it known that fire is an issue (at least with this model).

Sorry for the late post, I have been travelling, or I would have posted much earlier.

Buyer beware (big time) on this one. Maybe our situation was unique, I don't know - but our insurance agent has the images, I sent him an email asking him to forward them back to me for posting here or to log on and post them for the community himself - that way we don't have to play the "pics or it didn't happen" game.

Texasarrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Texasarrow

Purchased this past spring while actually shopping for a Yamaha 7.2. Caught a great special at Fry's and paid $299. Compared to Yamaha, has more HDMI's out and satisfactory quality for half the price. Now have 7 channel home theater with the 2 pool speakers on zone 2. Each zone can have separate input... TV vs. FM vs CD, etc. The built in web radio is nice, (had Sirius subscription). Only wish selector buttons were backlit as have to have a flashlight nearby to see them. Still recommend.

kewldeal1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kewldeal1

I can't answer to all the tech questions about this receiver but, I can tell you that I've had this very one for about four months. I am amazed at all the things it does. The ability to tie to the home network and have internet radio, wow. THX an added bonus for the blu-ray and Netflix movie watching. Add a zone, for outside music enjoyment. Yes, you should get this one.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422

Well, like most everything else, today's Onkyo is not the same as it was a decade ago. No more bullet proof transformer power supplies,(switching supplies that catch fire now), "Digital" outputs as opposed to the better sounding "Push-Pull Class B power amplifier, and the actual specifications lack the great specs of a good sounding amplifier.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

msujoubre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msujoubre
lucasa wrote:Has anyone tried this guy with ~50ft of HDMI cable (for a projector) ? How does the signal hold up?
?

I have two runs of 75 ft. HDMI cable. Both cables have boosters at 50 ft and I have no issues.

seemoor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seemoor

Does anyone have the dimensions for this unit? The specs on the website don't show it.

doggymcnuggets

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doggymcnuggets

A lot of hate for Onkyo in these messages, I for one have had great experiences with their stuff. Have a late 80s stereo receiver that's still going strong under daily use. Also have a 7.1 channel receiver I got about 7 or 8 years ago, haven't had a single problem with it either.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 167 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

seemoor wrote:Does anyone have the dimensions for this unit? The specs on the website don't show it.

The dims are listed on the Specs page in our sale:

Dimensions: 17.1"(W) x 6.8"(H) x 12.9"(D)
Weight: 21.6 lbs

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven

I figured I'd add my $.02 to the comments.

First I'd like to say I have a Onkyo TX-NR809 that I purchased from the mothership (Amazon) a little over a year ago. The receiver has been spectacular!

There's been talk about HDMI boards going and the general consensus from other owners on avsforums.com is that this is due to the following issues:

1. Inadequate Ventilation - The unit overheats and the HDMI board suffers.

2. Plugging in/out HDMI cables when the unit is powered. This is not recommended.

On to the specs which are great for a low-cost receiver.

I just wanted to say that you can tell this is a higher quality product as Onkyo provides specifications that actually mean something. I want to clarify a couple of things for those that may not know what some of the technical spec jargon means.

95W per Channel (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven) - This is the actual constant power output of the amp. It can increase when needed (bursts) to the max of the Dynamic output of 120W per Channel (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven).

I give 8 Ohms figures because *most* speakers for home are 8 Ohms.

Please be aware that this output wattage is just for stereo output to the front 2 speakers.

If you're running 7.1 (seven speakers plus a subwoofer) that power needs to be distributed to the 7 speakers thus reducing the power to each individual speaker. One of the reasons these receivers are inexpensive is because they don't put 7 discrete amps in for 7 speakers. Instead the main amp divvy's up the power.

The subwoofer doesn't count as needing to be amplified because that is typically self-powered/amped.

The other spec to be interested in is the THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). This receiver has a great figure for this. However, please note what it says:

THD+N: 0.08% (20Hz - 20kHz, Half Power)

The "Half-Power is what you need to realize. This is not a bad thing but it indicates that you'll get that low distortion figure only up to half power. Since we learned previously that full power is 95W/Channel, you are now talking half that which is 47.5 watts to 2 speakers. For 7.1 you now have to divide that for the additional speakers.

I don't think they divide it evenly as the surrounds probably require less power than the center and front mains. I suppose somebody an Onkyo could answer that.

So, at any rate, there you have it. The real power output and distortion figures.

You can crank your stereo music with a subwoofer to 47.5W/channel (dynamic to 60w/channel) with 0.08% THD no problem. After that, who knows. :-)

I would highly recommend that you try and find the most efficient speakers you can to use with this receiver because the output power isn't that high. When you are looking you will be looking for specs something like this:

SENSITIVITY: 102 db @ 1watt/1meter

However, that is a *very* efficient speaker. You can probably get away with ones in the high 90's because the price typically goes up the more efficient a speaker is.

Still a great price for a lower-end A/V Receiver that seems to have all the right features.

You will love the automatic setup using Audyssey MultEQ®. It will save you a ton of headaches!

Enjoy!

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

I don't have this receiver, but I have a similar one, and it appears to have the same remote.

I like the layout of the remote. It works with my Samsung Blu-ray player, and I actually like it better than the Samsung remote. The original remote has tiny buttons too close to each other.

I still use three remotes, but that's better than four: Onkyo, TiVo, Roku. Even if I had a universal remote I would still continue to use the TiVo one, because it's so well designed.

I never use the TV remote, since the TV is basically a monitor now.

My Vizio TV, Onky receiver, and Samsung Blu-ray player all support CEC, although some devices have different names for it.

When I turn off the TV (usually with the TiVo remote, but I can do it with the receiver remote) it also turns off the receiver and the Blu-ray player. When I turn on the TV it turns on the receiver.

When the Blu-ray player is off and I push the door button to put in a disc, it powers up and then switches the receiver to the Blu-ray input automatically.

ewraven

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewraven
lucasa wrote:Has anyone tried this guy with ~50ft of HDMI cable (for a projector) ? How does the signal hold up?

Depends on the signal strength of the source I think. With my Onkyo RC370, I was runnign two HDMI cables with a total length of 31 feet to my HDTV.

It worked fine with my ROKU, Bluray Player and DVR. Then I got a Sony Google TV. Anytime I was watching the Google TV device, the bottom half of the HDTV screen would "flash" every thirty seconds or so. It turned out that the 31 feet of HDMI cabling had too much signal loss for the Sony Google TV device. A 20 dollar inline amp fixed the problem immediately.

onkyous

quality posts: 2 Private Messages onkyous
Crab wrote:Maybe they've solved the problem, but Onkyo receivers had a history of catching on fire:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/916212/has-your-onkyo-605-705-805-875-905-caught-fire
[MOD: dated 2007]

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/my-onkyo-tx-nr616-set-on-fire-anyone-else-had-that-issue

Later models haven't fared too well either:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Retailing/Receivers/Onkyo/New_Onkyo_Receivers_May_Suffer_From_Defects__Free_Repairs_Offered/9090

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to assist customers who are interested in purchasing the new HT-RC 560 receiver. Please feel free to view our support forum and Amazon feedback on our receivers for further review. We thank you again for considering Onkyo.

onkyous

ewraven wrote:Depends on the signal strength of the source I think. With my Onkyo RC370, I was runnign two HDMI cables with a total length of 31 feet to my HDTV.

It worked fine with my ROKU, Bluray Player and DVR. Then I got a Sony Google TV. Anytime I was watching the Google TV device, the bottom half of the HDTV screen would "flash" every thirty seconds or so. It turned out that the 31 feet of HDMI cabling had too much signal loss for the Sony Google TV device. A 20 dollar inline amp fixed the problem immediately.

Hello ewraven;

You are correct in that assessment that HDMI cable lenghts can affect the digital signal integrity thru the massive run. We have constantly recommended if you need to send a 1080p signal more than 25 feet, or a 1080i signal more than 49 feet, active electronics will help clean up and boost an HDMI signal when it’s traveling long distances. You can purchase either a stand-alone booster box or an active cable, where the circuitry is embedded in the connectors themselves. In both cases, the connection requires a power source.

onkyous

doggymcnuggets wrote:A lot of hate for Onkyo in these messages, I for one have had great experiences with their stuff. Have a late 80s stereo receiver that's still going strong under daily use. Also have a 7.1 channel receiver I got about 7 or 8 years ago, haven't had a single problem with it either.

Hello doggymcnuggets;

We at Onkyo USA and its Product Support department appreciate the feedback you provided. We also want to inform you that we also have a 24 hour Product Support department available via phone (800) 229-1687, email (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) and support forum (forums@onkyousa.com) to further assist you with any questions or concerns you may have on your Onkyo unit. Thank you again for choosing Onkyo.

onkyous

gregbowman wrote:Well, they haven't fixed the fire issue . . . I can tell you first hand.

We had the TX-NR626 in use at the office in a media room and it burned up - as in actually caught on fire (June 2013). Purchase was via Amazon in May 2013 (our review states 'verified purchase" when we place it on their site) but every time we put up our review, Amazon keeps removing it (sometimes in a day - sometimes in an hour). . . I finally gave up trying. Amazon says that they want some kind of documentation from a fire department - like a incident report or the like - before they will let the review stand as written, well, we didn't call the FD, we unplugged the unit, pulled it by the cord away from the rack (damaging other components in the process) and threw a fire blanket over it . . . They (Amazon) took the unit back - FIRE DAMAGE AND ALL - and issued a refund, but they sure don't want it known that fire is an issue (at least with this model).

Sorry for the late post, I have been travelling, or I would have posted much earlier.

Buyer beware (big time) on this one. Maybe our situation was unique, I don't know - but our insurance agent has the images, I sent him an email asking him to forward them back to me for posting here or to log on and post them for the community himself - that way we don't have to play the "pics or it didn't happen" game.

Hello gregbowman;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your posting and review of your email- you have reported a totally different issue. We would like to assist you and your displeasure that the NR 626 doesn't meet the specs of the NR 616.

onkyous

InvisiBill wrote:I bought the HT-S6100 HTiaB set (including the HT-R667 receiver) almost exactly 4 years ago. Recently, the DVD connection has been giving me occasional problems. Sometimes it acts like it's not connected at all, and other times it works perfectly fine. It may be this "warmup" time you describe, as it will usually just start working after messing around with it (changing inputs back and forth, etc.) for a little while. I've never seen this issue on any other HDMI port, but plugging the Blu-Ray player into a different port didn't immediately fix it either. I've also tried a new HDMI cable, which also didn't immediately correct the issue. The signs seemed to indicate it was my Blu-Ray (as other ports and cables also did the same thing), so I didn't look too closely at the receiver.

I'm very familiar with the bad capacitor epidemic from a few years ago (failure to power up and an amber light on a Dell 270/280/620 is pretty much guaranteed to be blown caps), so I'll probably check mine tonight, and maybe just replace the caps for good measure.

Other than this one little problem, I love my Onkyo recevier though. Audyssey made setup a breeze, and it's always just worked well. I'm a little wary based on my own HDMI issue and the fact that a much-worse version of the problem seems to be pretty common, but I'd like to upgrade for some of the new features. I will miss the iPhone dock, but my old model only did audio from it anyway, so I should be able to just stream the MP3s over the network instead (in addition to all the other network options this model supports). I've got a friend who could use my old receiver, so that's a bit more incentive to upgrade too.

Still on the fence, but leaning...

Hello InvisiBill;

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

onkyous

wimawep wrote:Has Onkyo ever fixed there unique and absurd separate "ON" and"STANDBY" buttons. This make their units incompatible with every universal remote out there that has one button for on and off.

Hello wimawep;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support departments and we would like to answer your inquiry; as we have resolved the issue you were referring to and have no issues in programming and operation of universal and 3rd party remote controllers.

onkyous

zizzybaloobah wrote:I'll never buy another Onkyo receiver again. If you do buy this, make sure you get a SquareTrade plan, too.

Our Onkyo receiver stopped working shortly after the warranty period expired. We had problems with the HDMI output which also included problems with the handshake protocol.

I replaced it with a Yamaha receiver and haven't had a problem since.

Hello zizzybaloobah;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to inquire on the issue you are reporting and also inqurie if you have recently contacted the Onkyo USA Parts & Services department? If so, they will be reviewing and determining on all available options to resolve your receiver issue, Please contact the department via phone (800-229-1687 option #4 Mon- Friday 9am to 5 pm EST) or email parts@us.onkyo.com. You will be glad you did..

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky

Hah. Here's a question for you Onkyo.

Why do you have a 5010 receiver, but no 5510 preamp?

WANT PREAMP!!

onkyous

jswedler wrote:Does anyone have experience with how playing music from a phone through USB works? Is it basically like hooking a USB drive of music up to the receiver, or can you control it through your phone?

Hello jswedler;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to answer your inquiry. When using the USB port and connecting your iPhone or Android device; you can control the phone's playlist via the remote controller, front panel of the receiver, and based on some phone models- thru the phone's interface itself.

onkyous

bclinton1 wrote:Onkyo!!!!? Run away really fast. Just google "Onkyo receiver problems" and you will see why. If yo live up north it might be ok because this thing will help heat your house. keep in mind that it will eventually only be a heater because it will have continual HDMI issues. Good luck with their tech supportThey were once a good brand but have managed to ruin that pretty fast. Just do your research and you will see.

Hello bclinton;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to assist you with providing accurate information on our receivers and support. Our receivers tend to run optimally and do tend to run about 80 degrees above ambient room temperature, this is normal. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape. Please make sure that when you turn off the main receiver that you also turn off the Zone 2 because if you don’t turn off Zone2 (if your receiver has this feature) then the receiver will continue to run and will produce heat. There is an internet dealer selling cooling fans that can be used with our receivers www.coolerguys.com.

We have found many NOT to provide this ventilation spacing and cause damage to their units. What damages electronics are HEAT, DUST, and HUMIDITY and this is prevalent on all electronic manufacturers. So if you are blocking the heat flow from the receiver, this can be determined at the service center. We are still promptly servicing older units and/or providing alternative options to appease our loyal Onkyo customers to providing them great support and confidence in our products again. Please review our support forum for more information (forums.onkyousa.com).

onkyous

douglasstclair wrote:In addition to the fire issue, there's a known HDMI switching problem with older (I believe) receivers.

I have one of these Onkyo receivers that has the HDMI switching problem. Once the problem surfaced, some of the HDMI ports would take 2-3 minutes to "warm up" before they'd become viewable. Other HDMI ports would never become viewable. I lived with this problem for about a year (PITA), and then began researching replacement models.

Before spending money on a new receiver, I attempted to fix my old receiver by replacing the 5 capacitors on the HDMI switching board (lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do this). I've never been real successful with soldering, but figured it was worth a shot since the unit was going to the scrap heap. The process took about an hour, and the parts cost < $10 at Radio Shack. To my surprise... the damn thing now works flawlessly again. So for now... I'll contine to enjoy my heater / receiver combo.

Hello douglasstclair;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support deparmtent and we would like to inquire if you have contacted our Parts & Services department regarding the issue you are reprotedly experiencing with your receiver? I'd suggest you contact our Parts & Services department at 800-229-1687 option # 4 Mon- Friday 9am to 5 pm EST for further assistance. This would alleviate any ill feelings you are experienceing with your receiver and we would like to offer any options to resolve your issue.

onkyous

jbserra wrote:Onkyo is still working on an issue I reported with upconverting on one of their other models. I tried two tx-nr616s and they both have artifacts when upconverting rca signals to hdmi. The rca signal actually looks better. You can mostly see the artifacts when there is text on the screen, i.e. a tivo menu, however the artifacts remain during playback as well. I have asked them every month for an update and they have ignored me for 5 months at this point. I have an old Onkyo in my basement that this one replaced, but I am not happy with the support I've received. Outside of that issue and the nightmare support, it's a decent unit that allows me to drive a projector and hd tv (similar to this one), so at least I gained a couple of features from my old unit. Sorry if this comment is not helpful since I have a different unit, but I wanted to make the issue with support well known. I do wish mine had wireless and bluetooth, though. Assuming those features work, those would be nice to haves.

Good luck.

Hello jbserra;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like further infomration to invesitgate your alleged claims of non-service by Onkyo. Please provide all previous correspondence to the following supervisory email account: askOnkyo@us.onkyo.com for further review.

InvisiBill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages InvisiBill
onkyous wrote:Hello InvisiBill;

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your TX-SR606/ HT-R 667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

I've emailed them the details of my situation. I'm not too hopeful considering it's now two years past the end of the two year warranty, but we'll see.

cjbojrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjbojrab

Does this receiver do Sirius XM? If so, will Sirius charge us additional to use it? (we already have one unit in the car)

gregbowman

onkyous wrote:Hello gregbowman;

This is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and upon reading your posting and review of your email- you have reported a totally different issue. We would like to assist you and your displeasure that the NR 626 doesn't meet the specs of the NR 616.

I have never once emailed or corresponded with Onkyo (in any capacity). I do not own nor have I ever owned (or cared about) a 616. I reported a valid issue here, and to the vendor I purchased the 626 from, with whom I corresponded in detail with about the issue. Since the vendor offered me a remedy that exceeded my expectations, I did not follow-up with Onkyo - however, I know that American Family and their business insurance representative corresponded with Onkyo on behalf of our corporation. If you would like to PM me here, on this system, for additional details or for my email address and customer information, feel free.

I find it overwhelmingly disingenuous (using the definition of it being devious / deceptive) that you would attempt to discredit my report of my experience with your product in the manner in which you have in this forum. You may feel you have matched my name with that of a customer making a complaint regarding the specification of, or difference between, two models of receivers. I assure you, that is not the case. Had you pursued the matter of my comments in this forum ethically, and with thought and a desire to know the specifics of the situation, you would have acted (and posted) much differently. As it stands, you have dismissed the concern, made a veiled accusation that I have engaged in subterfuge when I have not, and are exhibiting characteristics indicative of why anyone would be wise to avoid purchasing your product.

If you'd like to send me a 626 that won't burst into flames, I'll supply you with the shipping information - but I'll bet you can't (because it very well may!).

I've been around here since 2005, and I'm a respected customer and contributor to this forum. I don't lie - the 626 caught fire. Along with my experience with your product being detailed accurately, my experience with Amazon regarding my review of the product is also an accurate accounting.

like2wheel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages like2wheel
gregbowman wrote:I have never once emailed or corresponded with Onkyo (in any capacity). I do not own nor have I ever owned (or cared about) a 616. I reported a valid issue here, and to the vendor I purchased the 626 from, with whom I corresponded in detail with about the issue. Since the vendor offered me a remedy that exceeded my expectations, I did not follow-up with Onkyo - however, I know that American Family and their business insurance representative corresponded with Onkyo on behalf of our corporation. If you would like to PM me here, on this system, for additional details or for my email address and customer information, feel free.

I find it overwhelmingly disingenuous (using the definition of it being devious / deceptive) that you would attempt to discredit my report of my experience with your product in the manner in which you have in this forum. You may feel you have matched my name with that of a customer making a complaint regarding the specification of, or difference between, two models of receivers. I assure you, that is not the case. Had you pursued the matter of my comments in this forum ethically, and with thought and a desire to know the specifics of the situation, you would have acted (and posted) much differently. As it stands, you have dismissed the concern, made a veiled accusation that I have engaged in subterfuge when I have not, and are exhibiting characteristics indicative of why anyone would be wise to avoid purchasing your product.

If you'd like to send me a 626 that won't burst into flames, I'll supply you with the shipping information - but I'll bet you can't (because it very well may!).

I've been around here since 2005, and I'm a respected customer and contributor to this forum. I don't lie - the 626 caught fire. Along with my experience with your product being detailed accurately, my experience with Amazon regarding my review of the product is also an accurate accounting.

Wow.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I almost fell for their ruse.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
cjbojrab wrote:Does this receiver do Sirius XM? If so, will Sirius charge us additional to use it? (we already have one unit in the car)

You will have to add the online streaming service (SiriusXM Internet Radio available
for an additional $3.50/month)

gregbowman

like2wheel wrote:Wow.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I almost fell for their ruse.

It is all just a game with Onkyo . . . I am glad I took the time to call them out on it. I have yet to get a PM or to have them dig up the report my insurance company filed with them and approach me privately (appropriately) for feedback / details. Their attempt to impugn my statement in the manner in which they did was completely out of line - proof that they would like to ignore the facts of the incident rather than acknowledge the danger inherent in their product. I've witnessed some unbelievable astroturfing by various company representatives on this forum in the past, but this one may take the prize.

knavekid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages knavekid

I received this and now have it installed. This replaced an Onkyo HT-RC430 5.1 receiver that I bought from Woot in January of this year. The main items I gained were automatic calibration, WiFi, increased power, and additional speaker outputs. Calibration was painless and the internet features are great.

I was not sure if I wanted to purchase a new receiver without an HD Radio tuner, but using the built-in TuneIn.com Net App, I can listen to almost any radio station I want. All my local radio stations are available, including the HD channels. There is a Pandora App that works well. Several other internet audio Apps are also included, but I have not tried them.

hitiek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hitiek

I finally got around to setting up my HT-RC560 this weekend. So far the only thing I've managed to get it to work correctly with is my Apple TV. I have tried two different computer with hdmi output and neither one seems to work when connected through the HT-RC560. They both work when connected directly to my TV, but when going through the Onkyo my TV just sits there saying "no signal". I get the same "no signal" when I try to use the "Net" feature of the Onkyo. Is my unit defective? Am I doing something wrong?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hitiek wrote:I finally got around to setting up my HT-RC560 this weekend. So far the only thing I've managed to get it to work correctly with is my Apple TV. I have tried two different computer with hdmi output and neither one seems to work when connected through the HT-RC560. They both work when connected directly to my TV, but when going through the Onkyo my TV just sits there saying "no signal". I get the same "no signal" when I try to use the "Net" feature of the Onkyo. Is my unit defective? Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for the problems. Have you contact Onkyo support to see if they can help you with the connections?

Here's the link to their support page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

marcb2k

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marcb2k

I would not recommend this unit. As many others on the web have stated, it has major issues with HDMI switching. My unit is basically dead and I'm trying to get a return auth from woot. Yes, I tried all the venting and firmware updates.