Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

Item: Onkyo 7.2 Receiver w/ Bluetooth & Wi-Fi
Price: $329.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/9/2013 - $399.99 - 135 comment(s)

bmrbill

quality posts: 129 Private Messages bmrbill

Here's the Onkyo website, complete with specs and owners manual.

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

It should be noted that this is an exclusive to woot. I reccomend checking out This discussion thread for more info

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this comment from @thunderthighs explaining the difference between this Woot! exclusive and other similar models

coaxial

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coaxial

Be Careful if you are trying to upconvert or use the component for anything hi-def. It will not work (such as component 1080 cable TV).

From the manual:

" In order for the AV receiver to upconvert component input
to HDMI output, the source output must be set to 480i/576i.
When signal is input at resolution of 480p/576p and more, error
message will be displayed."

kmsshaffer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmsshaffer
conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this comment from @thunderthighs explaining the difference between this Woot! exclusive and other similar models

I'm still not sure what makes this sale an "exclusive". The link said the "C" in the model number makes this a different model than what it was being compared to. However, this is the same model as the one on the Onkyo website http://us.onkyo.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver&source=globalnav It is identified as new though. Maybe when the RX was being sold last time, this model was not available, with exception of on WOOT. If so, I still don't understand what makes this a WOOT exclusive now. Can someone explain?

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru

This is one of the very few units I have seen with a phono input for all of us vinyl lovers! I had to get a separate phono pre-amp to use with my upscale Yamaha receiver. This seems like a lot of power and features for the money and Onkyo is a pretty reliable brand.

I also checked out the defective models, all made before December 2012 and this unit or any like it were on the list - so I don't think the above mentioned fire issue is valid.

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru
kmsshaffer wrote:I'm still not sure what makes this sale an "exclusive". The link said the "C" in the model number makes this a different model than what it was being compared to. However, this is the same model as the one on the Onkyo website http://us.onkyo.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver&source=globalnav It is identified as new though. Maybe when the RX was being sold last time, this model was not available, with exception of on WOOT. If so, I still don't understand what makes this a WOOT exclusive now. Can someone explain?

See above for a post explaining the exclusive part

hardworkingniceguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hardworkingniceguy

Bought one of these receivers 6 months ago and run my entire entertainment system through it. I even bought an analog turntable and with the aid of a preamp am listening to my favorite LPs again! Totally happy with it and at this price you cannot lose. Tv, computer, internet, the works all through one box!

jswedler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jswedler

Does anyone have experience with how playing music from a phone through USB works? Is it basically like hooking a USB drive of music up to the receiver, or can you control it through your phone?

zizzybaloobah

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zizzybaloobah

I'll never buy another Onkyo receiver again. If you do buy this, make sure you get a SquareTrade plan, too.

Our Onkyo receiver stopped working shortly after the warranty period expired. We had problems with the HDMI output which also included problems with the handshake protocol.

I replaced it with a Yamaha receiver and haven't had a problem since.

bclinton1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bclinton1

Onkyo!!!!? Run away really fast. Just google "Onkyo receiver problems" and you will see why. If yo live up north it might be ok because this thing will help heat your house. keep in mind that it will eventually only be a heater because it will have continual HDMI issues. Good luck with their tech supportThey were once a good brand but have managed to ruin that pretty fast. Just do your research and you will see.

vorant1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages vorant1

I bought a Onkyo Receiver several years ago then took it back and returned to using my old Sansui QRX6500 receiver from the early 70s, that still operates fully. Sure it doesn't have all the wiz-bang features but still will blow the socks off this new stuff.

[size=30]Vorant1[/size]

thehausers96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thehausers96

Was thinking long and hard on this one. Am thinking i will stick with my gut instinct and go with a Yamaha. Thanks for the posts, they do make a difference.

douglasstclair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages douglasstclair

In addition to the fire issue, there's a known HDMI switching problem with older (I believe) receivers.

I have one of these Onkyo receivers that has the HDMI switching problem. Once the problem surfaced, some of the HDMI ports would take 2-3 minutes to "warm up" before they'd become viewable. Other HDMI ports would never become viewable. I lived with this problem for about a year (PITA), and then began researching replacement models.

Before spending money on a new receiver, I attempted to fix my old receiver by replacing the 5 capacitors on the HDMI switching board (lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do this). I've never been real successful with soldering, but figured it was worth a shot since the unit was going to the scrap heap. The process took about an hour, and the parts cost < $10 at Radio Shack. To my surprise... the damn thing now works flawlessly again. So for now... I'll contine to enjoy my heater / receiver combo.

beardinabox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beardinabox

Two questions: Can this be used (programmed, etc) without connecting to video and will it work (remotely) with an ipad?

jbserra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jbserra

Onkyo is still working on an issue I reported with upconverting on one of their other models. I tried two tx-nr616s and they both have artifacts when upconverting rca signals to hdmi. The rca signal actually looks better. You can mostly see the artifacts when there is text on the screen, i.e. a tivo menu, however the artifacts remain during playback as well. I have asked them every month for an update and they have ignored me for 5 months at this point. I have an old Onkyo in my basement that this one replaced, but I am not happy with the support I've received. Outside of that issue and the nightmare support, it's a decent unit that allows me to drive a projector and hd tv (similar to this one), so at least I gained a couple of features from my old unit. Sorry if this comment is not helpful since I have a different unit, but I wanted to make the issue with support well known. I do wish mine had wireless and bluetooth, though. Assuming those features work, those would be nice to haves.

Good luck.

kabrune

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabrune

I have a very similiar model to this one, and I can tell you from firsthand experience that the HDMI ports do not work properly as everyone has said. However, there is a very simple workaround, I just ran the HDMI chords directly to my TV from whatever device, and then ran an optical/audio chord to the Onkyo reciever so I could run sound through the receiver to get the surrond-sound. Works perfectly since I did all that.

Next time I upgrade though I'll be avoiding the Onkyo stuff, you shouldn't have to fix a company's faulty products with sub-par solutions.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi all. I would like to point out that the various issues you are pointing out were for units made in 2012 and earlier. Onkyo has acknowledge many of those issues and you can find information about them and firmware updates on their Press Release page.

Our unit is the 2013 Onkyo RC560. It is a custom unit similar to the Onkyo TX-NR626 made just for Woot. You can see here that the Onkyo TX-NR626 has good reviews on Amazon.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cohenfive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cohenfive

Does anyone have experience using these units in a wireless network to stream pandora and the like, as well as to stream music from a home network (pc/laptop)? Our primary use is audio, not video.

recordstoregeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages recordstoregeek
hardworkingniceguy wrote:Bought one of these receivers 6 months ago and run my entire entertainment system through it. I even bought an analog turntable and with the aid of a preamp am listening to my favorite LPs again! Totally happy with it and at this price you cannot lose. Tv, computer, internet, the works all through one box!

So, even though this has a phono input - a pre-amp was still needed? Or did you choose to add the pre-amp for sound quality?

andruszko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andruszko

I'm running an Onkyo 708, which I absolutely love. I know this isn't a 700 series, but Onkyo still makes some damn good stuff.

There should be no reason to need a pre-amp since it has phono, I know mine specifically says it doesn't as does every other receiver with a phono port (that's the whole point of it, after all.) So you should have no problem connecting all of your devices to this for stellar sound.

90 watts per channel is far more than enough for the average user, even if installed in a decent theater room.

TLDR: Good buy.

mrcleatus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrcleatus
Crab wrote:Maybe they've solved the problem, but Onkyo receivers had a history of catching on fire:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/916212/has-your-onkyo-605-705-805-875-905-caught-fire
[MOD: dated 2007]

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/my-onkyo-tx-nr616-set-on-fire-anyone-else-had-that-issue

Later models haven't fared too well either:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Retailing/Receivers/Onkyo/New_Onkyo_Receivers_May_Suffer_From_Defects__Free_Repairs_Offered/9090

I can confirm the catching fire part. I had to return a receiver because it killed itself due to overheating. I'll be buying a different brand next time.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear

I bought this to replace my old Onkyo (I need DD+ now I guess). So hopefully it doesn't disappoint. Excited about the Sirius app for my deck speakers!

hitched97

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hitched97

Anyone know if this unit is capable of downscaling video? That is, if I have an HDMI input hooked up, can I watch the video on a component or composite output?

chrass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrass

In the past I have seen some receivers boost a 2nd zone, however they aren't dual source. So the 2nd zone is only able to play what is in the main zone. Kind of like having A and B speakers on the Yamaha. Does anyone know if this model's 2nd Zone is capable of running a different source than the 1st zone? for instance, while my kids are watching a movie in the livingroom, I want to be listening to Pandora in the other room.

ewraven

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewraven

I have an Onkyo HT-RC370, I bought it in October of 2011.

It was one of those which was known to have the heat and HDMI issues.

I put it and all of my A/V gear in a closet with a room to room wall vent fan towards the top of the closet. Without the fan running, the temp in the closet was running over 90 degrees. It typically stays just five degrees above the rest of the house with the fan going all the time.

On top of the Onkyo reciever I also have four PC fans hooked to a little thermostat. Without the fans, the top of the receiver would get up to 107+ degrees farenheit. With the fans, the temp of the receiver stay at a much more electronics friendly ~82 degrees.

These newer Onkyo's should be a lot more reliable and cooler running than mine. Shortly after buying mine in 2011, I read that Onkyo had changed the Amplifier design to one which runs a lot cooler.

I really believe that the reason mine has not had the HDMI issue is because I keep it so much cooler.

I don't regret buying an Onkyo though. It is a beast and powers my six Klipsch towers and two powered subs with no problems at all.

The DLNA network streaming is easy to use and works good. It has a ton of built in streaming apps for Pandora and the like.

The Onkyo Smart phone remote control app which works over the home network is awesome.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear
chrass wrote:In the past I have seen some receivers boost a 2nd zone, however they aren't dual source. So the 2nd zone is only able to play what is in the main zone. Kind of like having A and B speakers on the Yamaha. Does anyone know if this model's 2nd Zone is capable of running a different source than the 1st zone? for instance, while my kids are watching a movie in the livingroom, I want to be listening to Pandora in the other room.

Yes, the 2nd zone can play an analog or Networked source (i.e. the Streaming Apps)

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911
chrass wrote:In the past I have seen some receivers boost a 2nd zone, however they aren't dual source. So the 2nd zone is only able to play what is in the main zone. Kind of like having A and B speakers on the Yamaha. Does anyone know if this model's 2nd Zone is capable of running a different source than the 1st zone? for instance, while my kids are watching a movie in the livingroom, I want to be listening to Pandora in the other room.

Zone 2 should be able to play either the same source OR an independent source. What you won't be able to play is a digital source in Z2. I actually have a digital to ANALOG converter (about $18) to play my AppleTV to Z2.

Also if you're playing to Z2, you can only run Z1 at 5.2 instead of 7.2.

normad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages normad
ThunderThighs wrote:Hi all. I would like to point out that the various issues you are pointing out were for units made in 2012 and earlier. Onkyo has acknowledge many of those issues and you can find information about them and firmware updates on their Press Release page.

Our unit is the 2013 Onkyo RC560. It is a custom unit similar to the Onkyo TX-NR626 made just for Woot. You can see here that the Onkyo TX-NR626 has good reviews on Amazon.

So, Onkyo finally admitted their shortcomings and sent out a press release blah blah blah. A press release hardly helps me with the $400 receiver I have with a bad HDMI card. And, good luck getting one repaired through their network of authorized repair centers. That endeavor proved to be next to impossible and takes months. I would stay far far away from Onkyo receivers. If nothing else, for their lack of customer service. Not to mention their terrible track record in recent years.

chrisdazzo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages chrisdazzo

FWIW, I've had the Onkyo TX-SR308 for over a year now with no issues whatsoever. Sure it gets warm, but I'm always pushing audio or video though my AppleTV/HDMI. Very easy to set up, and plenty powerful for most people.

I have no doubt this even newer model is well worth the price.

That said, I would buy this in a heartbeat if I had the extra cash. Really cool that this has a phono port, though; I've been meaning to snatch up some of my father's old vinyls and invest in a Rega turntable...

I'll be your Apple man.

blafountain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blafountain
mcgary911 wrote:Zone 2 should be able to play either the same source OR an independent source. What you won't be able to play is a digital source in Z2. I actually have a digital to ANALOG converter (about $18) to play my AppleTV to Z2.

Also if you're playing to Z2, you can only run Z1 at 5.2 instead of 7.2.

Damn, so you're saying 1 HDMI source can't be playing on zone 1 while another HDMI source is playing on zone 2?

ricka182

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ricka182

Fear not the fire catching Onkyo receiver. They have fixed the issues, a while back actually.

I've had my Onkyo HTC360 for over a year, and it is still awesome. I have everything networked into it, so I can listen or watch from any source. Sound quality is great, features are awesome. So easy to set up, took about 15 minutes, all done automatically. All you have to do is be quiet for a few minutes, and move the included microphone when told to.

The only negative(which doesn't affect me too much), is the lack of Airplay, at least on my model, and a built-in WiFi. I have no Apple devices, and took care of Wi-Fi with a $20 USB adapter. Now, I have a hardline plugged right into the back of it for constant connection.

Plenty of HDMI, banana audio plugs, easy remote, great quality.

Overall, just an excellent product, and this is a pretty good price.

...i remain, he who remains to be...

mdpack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdpack

I would really like one of these-but have to wait at least 1 month.
I really hope it comes around again OR perhaps something better...

danlozo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danlozo

Can someone recommend a CD changer that will work well (functionally and aesthetically) with this receiver?

Thanks

Genise1949

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Genise1949

This probably does not apply to any of the Onkyo products you all are discussing, but I have had a receiver for over 25 years and still using it and it works great. If it worked any better it would have to grow wings and fly. I was just looking to upgrade and possibly get one newer for wireless speakers. Just checking things out. Seems I must have got the only good one they made and sold. I am SO SOLD on ONKYO and until today I have never heard such bad things about Onkyo. However I do realize lemons are made every day and I have got my better than fair share of them. Thanks for listening and I hope Onkyo is too.

lucasa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucasa

Has anyone tried this guy with ~50ft of HDMI cable (for a projector) ? How does the signal hold up?

Also: If this model was made specifically for woot, how can it be 45% off MSRP? Isn't whatever woot charges essentially the base price for the unit?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lucasa wrote:Has anyone tried this guy with ~50ft of HDMI cable (for a projector) ? How does the signal hold up?

Also: If this model was made specifically for woot, how can it be 45% off MSRP? Isn't whatever woot charges essentially the base price for the unit?

I did a bunch of google research on HDMI cable length for my home theater. That might be a good place to start.

The list price is set by the manufacturer and required as part of our purchase process. Even on exclusive items, the manufacturer will set a list price.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders