WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Outdoors of Perception

Be it a squirming toad or a lizard king, Nature will blow your mind. But before you go out into it, gear up! Otherwise, you might not break through, and it'll be… the end.

Quality Posts

giolee88

quality posts: 17 Private Messages giolee88

*quite* happy with my parachute blanket.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

The nubs on the knife broke off within a day... just by opening it. I'm not kidding.

The multi-tool seems alright though.

nukem14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nukem14

anyone have one of the zero-degree sleeping bags? Are they worthwhile?

fightingpillow

quality posts: 5 Private Messages fightingpillow
giolee88 wrote:*quite* happy with my parachute blanket.

What does one do with a parachute blanket? What's it good for?

thomaswde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomaswde
nukem14 wrote:anyone have one of the zero-degree sleeping bags? Are they worthwhile?

Just go with a 30 degree unless you are genuinely camping in super cold weather or are extremely cold natured. Otherwise you will sweat.

yukonoutfitters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yukonoutfitters
fightingpillow wrote:What does one do with a parachute blanket? What's it good for?

Hi Fighting Pillow,

The parachute blanket is a man portable, lightweight ground cover that is perfect for outdoor concerts, camping and the beach. Each corner has a 'gravity pocket' that you can fill with sand or earth that will keep the blanket from blowing away. The blanket also has tent pole loops that you can stake to the ground or attach to a tent stake.

perrymatthew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perrymatthew
yukonoutfitters wrote:Hi Fighting Pillow,

The parachute blanket is a man portable, lightweight ground cover that is perfect for outdoor concerts, camping and the beach. Each corner has a 'gravity pocket' that you can fill with sand or earth that will keep the blanket from blowing away. The blanket also has tent pole loops that you can stake to the ground or attach to a tent stake.

Would it be reasonable to use as a canopy type shade for the beach?

ajmikolaj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ajmikolaj

The Hydration Pack is ginormous! My friend got one and luckily he is a huge dude so it worked out. Word of warning though.

dieselboypunker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dieselboypunker
nukem14 wrote:anyone have one of the zero-degree sleeping bags? Are they worthwhile?

Gf used it camping and she seemed fine in like 40-50 f. Its not full mummy so I wouldn't go to 0 in it

dieselboypunker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dieselboypunker

Anyone get the Axe? I just returned a Coleman piece of crap to amazon so shopping for a new one.

gjpjmp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gjpjmp

Thinking of the hammocks. Anyone have experience with them?

dtask

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dtask
dieselboypunker wrote:Anyone get the Axe? I just returned a Coleman piece of crap to amazon so shopping for a new one.

If you're serious about a camp axe or hatchet, do yourself a favor and get a Gransfors Bruks. With edged tools, you get what you pay for.

dtask

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dtask
gjpjmp wrote:Thinking of the hammocks. Anyone have experience with them?

I bought a few of both the bug net version as well as the 2 person version from Woot - both of which were made by this same company, though neither are what is being offered here. So take this review for what you will. The bug netting ripped immediately & the suspension system for the netting needs major work.

That said, both held my weight & both are comfortable enough as far as hammocks go. By the way, I'm 6' & 225 lb.

chknchkr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chknchkr

Does anybody have any input on the Survival Machete. I been looking for a good machete ever since I traveled to Latin America. I bought the a Gerber machete and promptly returned it. This one seems very similar.

bikegeek0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bikegeek0

What's it say about Wooters when the hatchet is the first thing to sell out?

shaiss1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaiss1
chknchkr wrote:Does anybody have any input on the Survival Machete. I been looking for a good machete ever since I traveled to Latin America. I bought the a Gerber machete and promptly returned it. This one seems very similar.

I'm curious too. Doesn't seem to special of a deal compared to what's out there for $20. However, for $20 I don't think one can expect much out of this anyhow.

traquy

quality posts: 54 Private Messages traquy
chknchkr wrote:Does anybody have any input on the Survival Machete. I been looking for a good machete ever since I traveled to Latin America. I bought the a Gerber machete and promptly returned it. This one seems very similar.

The best machete would have been one you brought back from Latin America with you. I bought one in Guatemala when I was there, the same ones the farmers use, and it is the best thing I've ever used in my yard. They come dull so you have to get it sharpened when you get back to the states, but there are plenty of knife places out where I live.

Ours is sharp in the leather belt holster and ready to grab at the first sign of zombies.

billyjoebob007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyjoebob007

Darn it, i missed out !
Dear WooT, if one gets returned please notify me

HenryBob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HenryBob

Curse NY shipping restrictions; understand machetes but seriously multitools

My normal alias is University of Pi/UniversityOfPi
(though I created this account before I fully began using that)

The Link of Power

[Sig 8/21/13]

manzano2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manzano2
shaiss1 wrote:I'm curious too. Doesn't seem to special of a deal compared to what's out there for $20. However, for $20 I don't think one can expect much out of this anyhow.

I got 2 survival machetes a couple of weeks ago. One as a gift. But. . . I failed to read the specs. The 17" blade looks huge in person and rather menacing (think scary Halloween movie). I purchased it for a camping trip but I'm not sure what the reaction might be from fellow campers.
My son had to sharpen the blade as it arrives a bit dull but the machete has some heft to it so if you are cutting down weeds in the back yard this will do the trick.

giolee88

quality posts: 17 Private Messages giolee88
yukonoutfitters wrote:Hi Fighting Pillow,

Yep...what s/he said. The "gravity pockets" are a nice touch...essentially extra triangle-shaped pieces of fabric sewn to the edge of the fabric that you can scoop sand into (or throw a rock in) to keep the corners down when wind kicks up (and you don't have to remember to bring your sand anchors (http://www.rei.com/product/725165/rei-snow-and-sand-tent-anchors).

Also a nice touch...the stuff sack is sewn in, so there's no separate sack to lose. And for the surface area you get, it's very compact when stowed. I haven't tried, but I think I could shove it in my pocket (uncomfortably).

IMO, the size is a little small for using as a canopy. Additionally, since there is no structural element, you would need to pair it up with additional pieces of hardware to get anything structurally able to withstand being blown about by the typical breezes one encounters at a beach. You could throw together a couple adjustable tarp poles, and those sand anchors I linked to earlier, and a couple lengths of paracord, and feel very McGuyver-ish. But that's still a rather small 89"x69" footprint, likely to be casting a shaded area that's even smaller.

We use it to give the kids a nice place to sit down to eat, where the spiky grass (weeds) aren't poking them. We use it at the pool, the park. We *would* use it at the beach...if we ever make it to the beach...

kfloydj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kfloydj
HenryBob wrote:Curse NY shipping restrictions; understand machetes but seriously multitools

yep - woot is overly broad on the 'restrictions'. just because it's sharp and pointy doesn't make it illegal everywhere. It would be worth their time to pay a legal monkey to understand the real restrictions and sell/ship accordingly.

Has probably saved me >$100 in non-purchases though )

linxdev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages linxdev

I bought the hammock when it was on Woot months ago. I thought it would be good for my office. It is more of a rough burlap type material. More suited for outdoors, but too heavy to use out camping.

Magus414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Magus414

I'm six four... how would I far in the five eleven 30 degree sleeping bag... I'm skinny.