Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2673 Private Messages lichme

Four near perfect reviews (4.8 put of 5.0) on the 7.5 inch knife over at amazon

cndowning

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cndowning

Hello my name is ....& I'm a knife aholic what makes these shun knives better than the classic

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3135 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of comments from when this was sold back in July

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

These knives are about form over functionality. They're made of AUS-8 metal as opposed to VG-10. I won't go into too much detail as to what that means, but the end result is you're looking at a softer metal that's going to etch easier, that's going to go dull faster, that's going to chip easier, and in general will function less adeptly than better knives. I know some of the Amazon listings and what not list these as VG-10, but if you dig around online you'll find that this is in error and that all of them are AUS-8.

They're gorgeous, make no mistake about it. But the quality of them is not there. These are the "Wal-Mart" line of Shun's.

[MOD: The steel is as stated in the sale, confirmed in person]

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
Greshmahg wrote:These knives are about form over functionality. They're made of AUS-8 metal as opposed to VG-10. I won't go into too much detail as to what that means, but the end result is you're looking at a softer metal that's going to etch easier, that's going to go dull faster, that's going to chip easier, and in general will function less adeptly than better knives. I know some of the Amazon listings and what not list these as VG-10, but if you dig around online you'll find that this is in error and that all of them are AUS-8.

They're gorgeous, make no mistake about it. But the quality of them is not there. These are the "Wal-Mart" line of Shun's.

Woot also lists them as VG10, except for the boning knife. It's not wise to use a boning or steak knife with VG10 because the hard surfaces chip the brittle VG10 steel.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

Greshmahg wrote:These knives are about form over functionality. They're made of AUS-8 metal as opposed to VG-10. I won't go into too much detail as to what that means, but the end result is you're looking at a softer metal that's going to etch easier, that's going to go dull faster, that's going to chip easier, and in general will function less adeptly than better knives. I know some of the Amazon listings and what not list these as VG-10, but if you dig around online you'll find that this is in error and that all of them are AUS-8.

We've actually received from the vendor the following information:

· 7 ½” Santoku Knife = Solid VG10 Steel
· 6” Boning Knife = AUS8A Steel
· 6 ½” Chef’s Knife = Solid VG10 Steel

greynotch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greynotch

I snagged a set of these in July (along with the 7-piece block set) and love them thus far. They feel nice and balanced and slice through tomatoes effortlessly.

drwarner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drwarner
Greshmahg wrote:They're gorgeous, make no mistake about it. But the quality of them is not there. These are the "Wal-Mart" line of Shun's.

Walmart being relative, of course, these are extremely good knives still.

I just wouldn't recommend them to beginners. They are super sharp but the edge is hard to maintain and is easily damaged. And they are very hard to sharpen.

If you are buying for looks, or are a knife handling pro, seems like a good deal. If you are buying to learn, bad idea. You'll put an eye out, kid. It's a good discount, but you're better off going with some cheap thing at a kitchen supply store.

stewage

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stewage

I have the classics, so my knowledge is limited to those, but I will say I LOVE them. I begged the wife for a set of Shun's and I think she was a bit hesitant because of the price. Now, when we make dinner, guess who cuts up the veggies and slices the meats, not me anymore. I just get to clean my new knives after she uses them. FYI they will sharpen them free for life, USA headquarters is in Oregon, just down from my house.

WOOT ROX!

Xealot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xealot

I'llget right to the point. You're all a bunch of cut-ups. Talk about your sharp wit! Kinda edgy though. I need to be careful, sarcasm cuts both ways.

fnwc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fnwc
Xealot wrote:I'llget right to the point. You're all a bunch of cut-ups. Talk about your sharp wit! Kinda edgy though. I need to be careful, sarcasm cuts both ways.

Sharp.

nobet44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nobet44

You are wrong! In very general terms, hardness always comes at the cost of toughness. And vice versa, for that matter. It's just the way it is. So VG10 is harder than AUS-8, so it will hold an edge a bit longer, and because its increased hardness, it is not as tough as AUS-8 thus making it more likely to chip. Both very good steels and with 5 seconds on a honing rod before each use, you will not notice a difference. [MOD: No personal attacks, pls]
Sorry MOD, social decorum blurs sometimes when words are not actually spoken and the audience are cartoons

amerifolklegend

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amerifolklegend

I wish this company made a knife called the Conner.

Everytime I used it, I'd look at it and say, "Nothing compares to you."

lhowson77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lhowson77

can anyone comment on the handle size? I need new knives, and I cook a lot. However, I have small hands and short fingers, so I'm looking for a good match for me. I realize I could probably find this information in the last Woot! sale discussion or from Amazon reviews, but I'm home with a brand new infant, and reading reviews just isn't going to happen. Really hoping that someone else who has done the research will comment and help out a new (and sleep-deprived) mom.

kakomu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kakomu
lhowson77 wrote:can anyone comment on the handle size? I need new knives, and I cook a lot. However, I have small hands and short fingers, so I'm looking for a good match for me. I realize I could probably find this information in the last Woot! sale discussion or from Amazon reviews, but I'm home with a brand new infant, and reading reviews just isn't going to happen. Really hoping that someone else who has done the research will comment and help out a new (and sleep-deprived) mom.

I got the 7.5" Santoku for my birthday a couple years ago. It's my MAIN knife. It cuts well, including things like Tomatoes. It does need to be re-sharpened relatively frequently, however, I've yet to need the edge ground.

The handle has a bit of a bulge, but the knives are usually supposed to be held near the point where the knife enters the handle, with fingers on the sides of the blade itself. My hands are larger than average, so I have no real problem with the handle. My girlfriend, who has smaller hands, has used my knife from time to time when I've tried teaching her how to cook and she seems to manage a decent grip.

I highly recommend the Santoku. However, I've not used the either two knives (and if I had them, I'd probably rarely use them too).

srees

quality posts: 9 Private Messages srees

These look like they are a cut above my current set. Someday, I'll have enough money to blow and nothing better to do with that much cash (lol, yeah right!) and then I can quit coveting and pull the trigger. 'Cause, who brings a knife to a gun fight?

I guess I'm a little too 'hard up', and my wife would agree the boner we have works just fine even if it isn't as luxurious. No need to go under for the knife.

How can something be better than nothing if nothing is perfect?

I can haz badgez finally after 12 Bungled Original Communicator

mikehype2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikehype2

Bought these in July and love them! Just watch out these things are SHARP! and they stay sharp a long time.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg
nobet44 wrote:You are wrong! In very general terms, hardness always comes at the cost of toughness. And vice versa, for that matter. It's just the way it is. So VG10 is harder than AUS-8, so it will hold an edge a bit longer, and because its increased hardness, it is not as tough as AUS-8 thus making it more likely to chip. Both very good steels and with 5 seconds on a honing rod before each use, you will not notice a difference. [MOD: No personal attacks, pls]

Except for the fact that I'm not. Look, all it takes is a 5 second Google search to find a number of forums where the ONLY thing they discuss are knives to find a lot of people who have ordered these things and then immediately ended up sending them back because they noticed that the metal was not VG10 even though that's what they were marketed as, followed by a million comments of people saying the exact same thing about what that means. Shun themselves will tell you that, with the exception of the boning knife, you're not supposed to cut anything that at one point had bones with the other knives, and will actually invalidate the warranty on them if you do (it's the same thing w/ the Ken Onion Santoku). So who am I going to believe? Bob Kramer and an army of knife freaks....or someone who gets upset at the mention that his knives are the bottom quality line for a certain company?

mcherbecksmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcherbecksmith
kakomu wrote:I got the 7.5" Santoku for my birthday a couple years ago. It's my MAIN knife. It cuts well, including things like Tomatoes. It does need to be re-sharpened relatively frequently, however, I've yet to need the edge ground.

The handle has a bit of a bulge, but the knives are usually supposed to be held near the point where the knife enters the handle, with fingers on the sides of the blade itself. My hands are larger than average, so I have no real problem with the handle. My girlfriend, who has smaller hands, has used my knife from time to time when I've tried teaching her how to cook and she seems to manage a decent grip.

I highly recommend the Santoku. However, I've not used the either two knives (and if I had them, I'd probably rarely use them too).

I bought this knife set in the July sale. I have small hands and find the set very balanced and easy to use. I have had a Rachael Ray set with a Santoku for about 4 years so I am used to larger, heavier knives. I use the santoku for pretty much everything, and absolutely love the heft and balance of the Shun Edo knife that comes in this set. I'm not sure how it would feel to use them if you weren't used to larger knives, but I can say that even with small hands I don't have any trouble and really love my knives. Hope this helps!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ROGETRAY wrote:We've actually received from the vendor the following information:

· 7 ½” Santoku Knife = Solid VG10 Steel
· 6” Boning Knife = AUS8A Steel
· 6 ½” Chef’s Knife = Solid VG10 Steel

For those still questioning the steel, I just saw the knives and what RogetRay states above is really most sincerely correct.

And please stop with the personal insults.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

magiccarpetrides

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magiccarpetrides
Greshmahg wrote:Except for the fact that I'm not. Look, all it takes is a 5 second Google search to find a number of forums where the ONLY thing they discuss are knives to find a lot of people who have ordered these things and then immediately ended up sending them back because they noticed that the metal was not VG10 even though that's what they were marketed as, followed by a million comments of people saying the exact same thing about what that means. Shun themselves will tell you that, with the exception of the boning knife, you're not supposed to cut anything that at one point had bones with the other knives, and will actually invalidate the warranty on them if you do (it's the same thing w/ the Ken Onion Santoku). So who am I going to believe? Bob Kramer and an army of knife freaks....or someone who gets upset at the mention that his knives are the bottom quality line for a certain company?

Pretty sure you are confusing these and the Shun EDO steak knife set that was on sale a bit a go and was incorrectly listed..all sites I have been too confirm these are VG10 with just the one being AUS8

drocpsu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages drocpsu
srees wrote:These look like they are a cut above my current set. Someday, I'll have enough money to blow and nothing better to do with that much cash (lol, yeah right!) and then I can quit coveting and pull the trigger. 'Cause, who brings a knife to a gun fight?

I guess I'm a little too 'hard up', and my wife would agree the boner we have works just fine even if it isn't as luxurious. No need to go under for the knife.

hahah. This gave me a good laugh. I too am in this predicament.

Lairdland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lairdland

It's not like whomever is wrong has to commit seppuku. If you like the way they look and the listed features, buy them. If you don't like them, then return to Woot. I've never had any problems returning something at Woot, and I take online advice with a grain of salt, even from consumer reports.

lhowson77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lhowson77
mcherbecksmith wrote:I bought this knife set in the July sale. I have small hands and find the set very balanced and easy to use. I have had a Rachael Ray set with a Santoku for about 4 years so I am used to larger, heavier knives. I use the santoku for pretty much everything, and absolutely love the heft and balance of the Shun Edo knife that comes in this set. I'm not sure how it would feel to use them if you weren't used to larger knives, but I can say that even with small hands I don't have any trouble and really love my knives. Hope this helps!

Thanks, mcherbecksmith, for the testimonial. Because everything is relative, do you have small hands for a guy or small hands for a woman? I ask because even small guy hands will be significantly larger than mine.

TIA!

bruce57

quality posts: 9 Private Messages bruce57
ThunderThighs wrote:For those still questioning the steel, I just saw the knives and what RogetRay states above is really most sincerely correct.

And please stop with the personal insults.

That looks to be pretty tough to do, TT...it's been posted several times by Staff what the steel is — after personally checking — and you still get the "I read it on the Internet, so it must be right" crowd...

You can lead some people to water, but you can't make 'em drink.....

bary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bary

Love my Shun Ken Onion Santoku.
These do look sharper, but can I really justify getting them?
Comments? anyone have both and compared?

jjdche

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jjdche

How can you tell what type of steel they are by looking at them? Is it stamped on the blade?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jjdche wrote:How can you tell what type of steel they are by looking at them? Is it stamped on the blade?

Indeed it is.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MinistrOfJustiz

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MinistrOfJustiz

Just flip 'em all over and take a picture of the left side. "AUS8" on the boner alone, "solid VG10" on the other two.

dmglaser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmglaser

I gave this set as a gift from the July offer. They are as wicked sharp as the EDO 6 piece set I bought in June for myself, and made of the steel as stated: Boning knife AUS8A, the rest solid VG10. Care in use is very much in order due to their extreme sharpness, but that's what makes the work easier, right?

Off-topic, I have seen staff call out some posts for "personal attacks". Were the offending portions deleted? I did see a post or two asserting that someone was wrong, about some claim of fact or something; however that hardly meets the definition of "personal attack".

Back on topic: These are nice knives but I wish the set had included a larger chef's knife. 6.5 is adequate but nothing to get excited about.

kellykg1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellykg1
bary wrote:Love my Shun Ken Onion Santoku.
These do look sharper, but can I really justify getting them?
Comments? anyone have both and compared?

Got them in July. Don't have the onions but I can say the are awesome in every way. It's a great deal.

squidward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squidward

Someone said "watch out, they are sharp."

I disagree. Sharp is the safest ever.

Going thru college, I worked as a prep slave in a high volume French restaurant. I made $3.35 an hour (minimum wage then) and cleaned and prepared all the produce for cooks more skilled than I.. Case after case of celery, carrot, onion (to make mirepoix) shallots, garlic.. and so on.

I can attest: the sharper the knife the better.

Knifes were sharpened Monday.

If you worked weekdays.. you were OK because you had a freshly sharpened knife.

If you had weekend shift: watch out. You were gonna get cut by a dull blade sliding off a food.. and into your fingers.

Sharp = Safe.

kellykg1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellykg1

As I said I bought these in July and the blow away my other knives (both German and Japanese ). The are well balanced and beautiful. I have used the boning knife to fillet snapper as well as bone chicken. It is sharper and more flexible than my Finnish fillet knife and much better at these tasks. The other two are also well balanced and better for prep (veg etc) than anything else I own. The wal mart comment is ludicrous ...beginner or epicurean you will not be disappointed. I have paid much more and received much less. My favorite woot of all time.

dmiller62

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmiller62

[quote postid="5525222" user="Greshmahg"]These knives are about form over functionality. They're made of AUS-8 metal as opposed to VG-10. I won't go into too much detail as to what that means, but the end result is you're looking at a softer metal that's going to etch easier, that's going to go dull faster, that's going to chip easier, and in general will function less adeptly than better knives. I know some of the Amazon listings and what not list these as VG-10, but if you dig around online you'll find that this is in error and that all of them are AUS-8.

You clearly do not know Shun.., or the series of each that is put out.. All of the Edo line a Solid VG10 with exception of the steak knives and boning knife.. Please in the future , CONFIRM something before posting false statements about a manufacturer with a rep as solid as Shun.. And you clearly have NO common sense if you are rating these as the walmart line of Shun... You sir, are a true "Vista" in my opinion, as you have demonstrated twice now about your ignorance of the SHUN line in general, these are FAR FROM their walmart line as you say.. The entry level is the Sora line..

As far as the person asking the difference in the Ken Onion and Edo. I own every single knife in the ECO line, as well as several knives in the Ken Onion line.. Both are extremely well balanced.. biggest difference is the handle shapes.. Some feel the Onions have too much curve to them.. If you are used to western style knives, then the EDO line would be more to your liking with alot less curvature in the handles and the blades.. and the EDO line is a 100x more comfortable than the classic line in my opinion.

AND if your buying a high end set of knives, for goodness sake KNOW how to USE a honing steel.. I have several Shuns several years old with never a resharpen.. You SHOULD and i DO hone any knife i use right before i cut with it, that is the rule of thumb on any good set of knives, you maintain your edge for a very very long time.. If you hone them say only once a week or two after useing them several times, you will be be needing to send them in or have them sharpened.. Its like oil changes in a car.. MAINTENANCE to keep up the performance.. So hone before every use (takes 5 seconds), and you will have years of trouble free usage.

bary

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bary
dmiller62 wrote:[quote postid="5525222" user="Greshmahg"]These knives are about form over functionality. They're made of AUS-8 metal as opposed to VG-10. I won't go into too much detail as to what that means, but the end result is you're looking at a softer metal that's going to etch easier, that's going to go dull faster, that's going to chip easier, and in general will function less adeptly than better knives. I know some of the Amazon listings and what not list these as VG-10, but if you dig around online you'll find that this is in error and that all of them are AUS-8.

You clearly do not know Shun.., or the series of each that is put out.. All of the Edo line a Solid VG10 with exception of the steak knives and boning knife.. Please in the future , CONFIRM something before posting false statements about a manufacturer with a rep as solid as Shun.. And you clearly have NO common sense if you are rating these as the walmart line of Shun... You sir, are a true "Vista" in my opinion, as you have demonstrated twice now about your ignorance of the SHUN line in general, these are FAR FROM their walmart line as you say.. The entry level is the Sora line..

As far as the person asking the difference in the Ken Onion and Edo. I own every single knife in the ECO line, as well as several knives in the Ken Onion line.. Both are extremely well balanced.. biggest difference is the handle shapes.. Some feel the Onions have too much curve to them.. If you are used to western style knives, then the EDO line would be more to your liking with alot less curvature in the handles and the blades.. and the EDO line is a 100x more comfortable than the classic line in my opinion.

AND if your buying a high end set of knives, for goodness sake KNOW how to USE a honing steel.. I have several Shuns several years old with never a resharpen.. You SHOULD and i DO hone any knife i use right before i cut with it, that is the rule of thumb on any good set of knives, you maintain your edge for a very very long time.. If you hone them say only once a week or two after useing them several times, you will be be needing to send them in or have them sharpened.. Its like oil changes in a car.. MAINTENANCE to keep up the performance.. So hone before every use (takes 5 seconds), and you will have years of trouble free usage.

THANKS they are on their way!

frenchterrine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frenchterrine

The best cutlery investment I have ever made. The boning knife alone opens up new adventures in preparing terrines. They are beautiful to look at and have a total Feng Shui feel to them. Adds harmony to your prepping.