WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Panoramic National Park Photography

Have you seen these crazy hi-def panoramic images yet? These National Park photos are just like those, except instead of zooming around with your mouse and keyboard you can, you know, just walk up really close to them. Technology! 

Quality Posts

adamant628

quality posts: 8 Private Messages adamant628

What makes Acadia worth a $20 premium over the others?

brutherford

quality posts: 14 Private Messages brutherford

Staff

adamant628 wrote:What makes Acadia worth a $20 premium over the others?

Ummm, because it's first? Thanks for the catch, I updated the price to be inline with the other offers.

Sausey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Sausey

Great shots, but why isn't there one of the Adirondacks??

mattultramurals

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mattultramurals
Sausey wrote:Great shots, but why isn't there one of the Adirondacks??

I apologize we couldn't get all parks listed, we were trying to offer a good mix of shots so there was something for everyone but there are just so many to choose from. Also a common misperception is that while absolutely gorgeous, the Adirondacks are not technically a National Park, but we weren't totally married to that theme.

mattultramurals

Hi! I am Matt by the way from UltraMurals. I will be monitoring the message boards over the next 3 days and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. These are actually some of the best looking canvases we have produced, they look GREAT and we are happy to be able to offer the through woot!

sethbokelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sethbokelman

The one labeled "Glacier Lake" is actually Saint Mary Lake, inside Glacier National Park. I was a bit confused at first because I couldn't figure out what the heck Glacier Lake was, and we spent a week there on vacation (it's gorgeous, go now before the glaciers are gone).

ojking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ojking

So close and yet . . . Sorry guys, I was hoping for the Grand Tetons. I mean you were in Yellowstone.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

America the beautiful.

mattultramurals

sethbokelman wrote:The one labeled "Glacier Lake" is actually Saint Mary Lake, inside Glacier National Park. I was a bit confused at first because I couldn't figure out what the heck Glacier Lake was, and we spent a week there on vacation (it's gorgeous, go now before the glaciers are gone).

Sorry, you are right, this was in an attempt to reference that it was in Glacier National Park. I have been there myself and it is truly incredible. A must see for everyone.

JonnoN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JonnoN

the "North Cascades" one is Mt. Shuksan

dsensharma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsensharma

The Yellowstone Lake pic looks more like Sylvan Lake in Yellowstone Park.

ilikegoodfood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilikegoodfood

Hi fellow Wooters.

Im trying to decide if this is actually a good deal..Been looking online at comparables that are full price, but im having trouble finding anything.

Any of you know more, or are more knowledgeable on this market, and if these prices are actually very good? Much appreciated :-)

everready

quality posts: 0 Private Messages everready

Your 48"x18" murals are usually $80.18... Why is this such a deal?

Never mind thats additional to a base price, damn design.

mattultramurals

dsensharma wrote:The Yellowstone Lake pic looks more like Sylvan Lake in Yellowstone Park.

Very well could be, the title there is for a description as unfortunately I do not have the exact name of the lake available.

dogen83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dogen83
JonnoN wrote:the "North Cascades" one is Mt. Shuksan

Yeah, looks like the famous photo op at Picture Lake... just without the lake. I'm considering it... I miss my old adopted hometown.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

www.theloughroad.com

Not only is the art vastly superior, but it'll actually appreciate in value and doubles as an investment piece on top of something stunning to look at.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
mattultramurals wrote:Hi! I am Matt by the way from UltraMurals. I will be monitoring the message boards over the next 3 days and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. These are actually some of the best looking canvases we have produced, they look GREAT and we are happy to be able to offer the through woot!

These are excellent pieces at a very good price, and I don't think anyone will find something of equal quality in a local store at even double these prices. As for the notion that any printed photograph will be collectible or appreciate in value, that's nonsense unless it's by Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz. Those Rodney Lough photographs recommended above are going to be very expensive, and they are horribly oversaturated to the point of being cartoonish. I would rather have something with realistic colors hanging on my wall than a print with day glow colors.

I do have a specific question for Matt. I have done some commercial inkjet printing on canvas, and I know that it's not very difficult or complicated. However, I also know that it's especially important for the longevity of the piece to have a clear protective coating sprayed over the ink, because it won't be behind glass. This is true no matter what type of pigment based archival ink you are using. The product I used was made by Clearstar in Charleston, SC.

So the question is, do you apply a clear UV protective coating to your pieces after printing?

frankns

quality posts: 2 Private Messages frankns

Any idea where the Rocky Mountains picture comes from? Would make a difference.

livinginoz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages livinginoz

beautiful images, but since we are adding locations, the gooseneck image is not in the grand canyon. it's from Gooseneck State Park in southern Utah. I have been there and it's an awesome location, however not connected to the Grand Canyon.

jcarwash31

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jcarwash31

Matt, would you happen to know which valley is pictured in the Glacier Valley piece?

Zippy The Pinhead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zippy The Pinhead
jcarwash31 wrote:Matt, would you happen to know which valley is pictured in the Glacier Valley piece?

It's a view of the Two Medicine valley, on the east side of the park. The photo is taken from the hillside above Upper Two Medicine lake, and you can see Two Medicine and Lower Two Medicine lakes in the background. I am local and this area is one of our favorite spots to camp, paddle & hike. Also great for picking huckleberries, but there are MANY bears in the area.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

woodister

quality posts: 2 Private Messages woodister
frankns wrote:Any idea where the Rocky Mountains picture comes from? Would make a difference.

I was wondering this as well

jcarwash31

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jcarwash31
Zippy The Pinhead wrote:It's a view of the Two Medicine valley, on the east side of the park. The photo is taken from the hillside above Upper Two Medicine lake, and you can see Two Medicine and Lower Two Medicine lakes in the background. I am local and this area is one of our favorite spots to camp, paddle & hike. Also great for picking huckleberries, but there are MANY bears in the area.

Thanks. I haven't been to Two Medicine, but my Dad has and I was thinking of getting this for him.

mattultramurals

frankns wrote:Any idea where the Rocky Mountains picture comes from? Would make a difference.

Gosh I really wish I had a better answer for you but I cannot from my information determine an exact location. We license a lot of these images and I only have certain info available to me. I will try and dig further but so far I only have been able to get the general info.

mattultramurals

lorenzodemedici wrote:These are excellent pieces at a very good price, and I don't think anyone will find something of equal quality in a local store at even double these prices. As for the notion that any printed photograph will be collectible or appreciate in value, that's nonsense unless it's by Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz. Those Rodney Lough photographs recommended above are going to be very expensive, and they are horribly oversaturated to the point of being cartoonish. I would rather have something with realistic colors hanging on my wall than a print with day glow colors.

I do have a specific question for Matt. I have done some commercial inkjet printing on canvas, and I know that it's not very difficult or complicated. However, I also know that it's especially important for the longevity of the piece to have a clear protective coating sprayed over the ink, because it won't be behind glass. This is true no matter what type of pigment based archival ink you are using. The product I used was made by Clearstar in Charleston, SC.

So the question is, do you apply a clear UV protective coating to your pieces after printing?

Great question, we actually use two different printers for these prints as we find that particular images pop and look better on specific machines. The protective coat we use is a product called timeless from breathing color. It was tricky at first but over time we developed a really good method after testing many spray guns that lays down a seamless protective coat that archival certified for over 100 years, or longer than any of us will be around to enjoy the art.

mattultramurals

livinginoz wrote:beautiful images, but since we are adding locations, the gooseneck image is not in the grand canyon. it's from Gooseneck State Park in southern Utah. I have been there and it's an awesome location, however not connected to the Grand Canyon.

I believe that the image is from Toroweap Overlook, or at least that is the information I have. I am not an expert though. Check out this page http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm as I believe this matches up with the image available.

mattultramurals

Zippy The Pinhead wrote:It's a view of the Two Medicine valley, on the east side of the park. The photo is taken from the hillside above Upper Two Medicine lake, and you can see Two Medicine and Lower Two Medicine lakes in the background. I am local and this area is one of our favorite spots to camp, paddle & hike. Also great for picking huckleberries, but there are MANY bears in the area.

Thanks Zippy!

pr0gr4m

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pr0gr4m
Greshmahg wrote:www.theloughroad.com

Not only is the art vastly superior, but it'll actually appreciate in value and doubles as an investment piece on top of something stunning to look at.

It is also vastly (VASTLY) more expensive. For those of us who want cool scenery on our walls but don't want to spend the price it would cost to go there and look at it in real life, these are a great deal.

canis39

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canis39
Greshmahg wrote:www.theloughroad.com

This is just silly.

First of all, it's not even possible to purchase photos from the website. You're supposed to 'call your favorite gallery'.

And second, a comparably-sized piece is multiple THOUSANDS of dollars.

Woot's deal is 85 bucks.

If you're going to offer alternatives, at least try to get in the same ballpark. This suggestion is not only not in the same ballpark, it's not even the same sport.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
Sausey wrote:Great shots, but why isn't there one of the Adirondacks??

These are national parks. That's a state park.

drnickmsn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drnickmsn

I have fond memories of visiting the Smoky Mountains with my parents and grandparents and would have loved to get them a great panoramic print but your picture is a disappointment. I don't understand how it is so underwhelming compared to the others.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

I've been to 8 of these parks. Just visited the Badlands again two weeks ago.

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg
canis39 wrote:This is just silly.

First of all, it's not even possible to purchase photos from the website. You're supposed to 'call your favorite gallery'.

And second, a comparably-sized piece is multiple THOUSANDS of dollars.

Woot's deal is 85 bucks.

If you're going to offer alternatives, at least try to get in the same ballpark. This suggestion is not only not in the same ballpark, it's not even the same sport.

Whilst it's true I have a few pieces from there that ran in the 10 grand+ range, they do offer prints that are but a few hundred bucks. Is it still more than $89? Undoubtedly. But I'm certainly not telling people to go drop 5 G's on a piece.

mqnguyen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mqnguyen

Wishing that the Yosemite photo had been taken on a day when the clouds weren't obscuring Half Dome...

ExactlyAmy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ExactlyAmy

It might be kinda sad that I'm amused by the fact that shipping to Alaska is not available, and yet one of the photographs is from Alaska.

You can take the picture away from Alaska, but not send it back.

zootwootsuit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zootwootsuit
livinginoz wrote:beautiful images, but since we are adding locations, the gooseneck image is not in the grand canyon. it's from Gooseneck State Park in southern Utah. I have been there and it's an awesome location, however not connected to the Grand Canyon.

It looks pretty similar to Horseshoe Bend just south of Page, AZ. I could be wrong, though.

mattultramurals

zootwootsuit wrote:It looks pretty similar to Horseshoe Bend just south of Page, AZ. I could be wrong, though.

Correct, that image is of Horseshoe Bend, the other Grand Canyon shot is of Toroweap Overlook.

mattultramurals

drnickmsn wrote:I have fond memories of visiting the Smoky Mountains with my parents and grandparents and would have loved to get them a great panoramic print but your picture is a disappointment. I don't understand how it is so underwhelming compared to the others.

We chose something a bit different for that shot as we were trying to offer a wide array of images and have found that image to be a popular seller in the past. If we run a similar sale in the future I will do what I can to get a second option available.

micbruce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages micbruce

I realize you can't do every national park; However, how can you miss Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. Not only is it beautiful but it was the 2nd National Park designated by the United States, Yellowstone being the 1st.